PDA

View Full Version : Eating after dancing

JoC
18th-May-2005, 06:17 PM
I want to sort out my post dancing supper, amongst other things, to reduce the precious life time I spend in the supermarket :( . To this end I want to decide what the official meal will be.

(I've searched other threads and found a few mentions of food before, and a few mentions of toast after but thats all.)

I gather it is best to eat something after exercising to keep your metabolism on the straight and narrow not that I need an excuse :yum: , but it is also kind of late and not the ideal time for digestion.

So what do you lovely folks eat when you get home? :flower:

So far I have whatever I can get my grubby mitts on!

drathzel
18th-May-2005, 06:42 PM
I want to sort out my post dancing supper, amongst other things, to reduce the precious life time I spend in the supermarket :( . To this end I want to decide what the official meal will be.

(I've searched other threads and found a few mentions of food before, and a few mentions of toast after but thats all.)

I gather it is best to eat something after exercising to keep your metabolism on the straight and narrow not that I need an excuse :yum: , but it is also kind of late and not the ideal time for digestion.

From my atheltic memory its probably best to wait about 20- 30 mins after dancing but not more than that if you are wanting a decent nights sleep, with no tummy cramp etc. Try and eat healthy things although i have been told a packet of ready salted crisps and a bottle of isotonic liquid is good!

:hug:

RogerR
18th-May-2005, 06:49 PM
Water, Coffee, and a Garfunkel's Banana Split.

JoC
18th-May-2005, 06:56 PM
Garfunkel's Banana Split.
Oh baby! :drool:

Right so far, I'm going with the isotonic drink and the banana split, a bit of each suggestion!

Aleks
18th-May-2005, 07:24 PM
There's a group of us that go to the Noodle Bar for chinese food after a Glasgow party...... :drool:

RogerR
18th-May-2005, 07:27 PM
Thats OK as long as you call a large capochino isotonic then there's the Hagen Das at the HD shop in Leicester square.but few people will remember Notre Dame now sadly.

RogerR
18th-May-2005, 07:49 PM
In big towns its more a social thing. You DANCE every track if you can, with minimum pause for water then you go to chat with "dance locals" who might actually live 30 to 50 miles away, just that for this dance you were all in the same town at the same time.

David Bailey
18th-May-2005, 08:05 PM
few people will remember Notre Dame now sadly.
Ooh, Ooh, I do! Me! Me!

Although more because of the salsa than the MJ, to be honest - it was the best salsa club in London at the time, before Boy-bloody-George... :tears:

skippy
18th-May-2005, 08:58 PM
Ooh, Ooh, I do! Me! Me!

Although more because of the salsa than the MJ, to be honest - it was the best salsa club in London at the time, before Boy-bloody-George... :tears:

I like jelly and fruit cocktail. It quenches the thirst and in cool going down!!!! :rofl: :hug:

Minnie M
18th-May-2005, 09:17 PM
Thats OK as long as you call a large capochino isotonic then there's the Hagen Das at the HD shop in Leicester square.but few people will remember Notre Dame now sadly.

I remember it well :drool:

TheTramp
19th-May-2005, 07:26 AM
Well. Franck, Sheena and myself have been known to have the occasional curry after dancing. Which is fantastic. Of course, curry anytime is fantastic anyhow....

So, just to keep in the spirit of things, last night, here in Newcastle, I took some friends out for a curry after dancing. Was good :drool:

Tessalicious
19th-May-2005, 07:51 AM
Personally I don't think you can beat a seriously unhealthy portion of chinese-chip-shop chips after a long evening of dancing, but its always a good idea to make sure you share them with someone so you can pretend that they ate more than you did :blush:

Simon r
19th-May-2005, 09:04 AM
Big mac large french fries and a chocolate milkshake....
ohhh yeah baby.

foxylady
19th-May-2005, 09:13 AM
Personally I don't think you can beat a seriously unhealthy portion of chinese-chip-shop chips after a long evening of dancing, but its always a good idea to make sure you share them with someone so you can pretend that they ate more than you did :blush:

:yeah: best chips ever, had standing outside the pub round the corner from the Jive Bar, a few weeks ago when it wasn't too cold to be outside... and as I was holding the bag I also had lots of company ! :wink:

Simon r
19th-May-2005, 09:20 AM
:yeah: best chips ever, had standing outside the pub round the corner from the Jive Bar, a few weeks ago when it wasn't too cold to be outside... and as I was holding the bag I also had lots of company ! :wink:
that was not just for the chips

Purple Sparkler
19th-May-2005, 09:39 AM

I'm afraid I'd have to say that's what I eat as well. If I haven't eaten beforehand, that is- and I don't always get time to do that (yet another reason for me to want a permanent contract at work so I can move a bit closer into town).

David Bailey
19th-May-2005, 09:52 AM
:yeah: best chips ever, had standing outside the pub round the corner from the Jive Bar, a few weeks ago when it wasn't too cold to be outside... and as I was holding the bag I also had lots of company ! :wink:that was not just for the chips
What, she had ketchup as well? :whistle:

philsmove
19th-May-2005, 10:01 AM
I like jelly and fruit cocktail. It quenches the thirst and in cool going down!!!! :rofl: :hug:

Never forget - their were people on the Titanic who waved away the sweet trolley

Boozy Bird
19th-May-2005, 10:55 AM
few people will remember Notre Dame now sadly.

I remember it! Minnie M took me to the last ever one and I met some lovely people there, who are now very good friends.

I don't think you can beat a nice glass of milk and marmite on toast after a night of dancing...yum yum :wink:

foxylady
19th-May-2005, 11:24 AM
.....but few people will remember Notre Dame now sadly.

I remember it well, but for "Jitterbugs" on a wednesday (not Jive or salsa)...
I learnt to Lindy there with Ryan Francios, back in my halcyon days...

Rebecca
19th-May-2005, 01:31 PM

I've always struggled with this one - i don't feel comfortable if i eat just before i dance but by the time i get home all i want to do is shower and collapse - I appear to be wasting away on a diet of red bull. (Hark, is that my mother tutting??)

Purple Sparkler
19th-May-2005, 01:34 PM
Had to add that I do know one person whose post-Ceroc 'meal' is an entire Vienetta.

Simon r
19th-May-2005, 01:34 PM
Had to add that I do know one person whose post-Ceroc 'meal' is an entire Vienetta.
what a great idea

Rebecca
19th-May-2005, 01:35 PM

Hmm, that could work - can you eat that whilst laying down??

Purple Sparkler
19th-May-2005, 01:38 PM
Hmm, that could work - can you eat that whilst laying down??

Can you EVER eat Vienetta whilst laying down? I don't think it's humanly possible. Unless you have a really big mouth and are feeding said treat in vertically... hmmm. Methinks this particular conversation might be better in 'take it upstairs'...

TheTramp
19th-May-2005, 02:03 PM
Methinks this particular conversation might be better in 'take it upstairs'...
Why's that?? :innocent:

Sparkles
19th-May-2005, 02:14 PM
I know folk who are regular gym goers :what: and they recommend a bowl of cereal and a large glass of high-juice squash about 30mins after a workout - so I guess this should apply to dancing too (the idea being to replace lost salts, rehydrate, be healthy and give your insides something to work on as all the blood flows away from your muscles and back to your internal organs once you've finished exercising). Failing that a banana is a good option, you need something with potassium in to stop your muscles cramping up :nice:.

S. x

foxylady
19th-May-2005, 11:51 PM
Failing that a banana is a good option, ...

S. x

Absolutely - bananas ! What a recent swimming coach recommended if nothing else was an option.....

John S
20th-May-2005, 09:45 AM
Bananas beforehand, Special K afterwards.

(That's the theory -but if it's a long drive home the odd bar of chocolate mysteriously finds its way into my car but has disappeared by the time I get home. Strange, that.) :what:

Clive Long
20th-May-2005, 11:48 AM
<< Snip >>
I don't think you can beat a nice glass of milk and marmite on toast after a night of dancing...yum yum :wink:
BB I'm one of your marmite on toast brigade.
Supplemented with low-sugar jam on toast and a lovely cup of rosy lea. Ahhhh.

Sheepman
20th-May-2005, 02:32 PM
Had to add that I do know one person whose post-Ceroc 'meal' is an entire Vienetta. Sounds OK to me, except there's not really enough ice cream in an entire Vienetta.
There seems to be much talk on here on what the proper healthy options are, but after all that activity, I just want indulgence, and quick! So a large (I do mean large!) bowl of ice cream, preferably with cake, tart, whatever's going, ... maybe even a banana if I'm desparate!

I'm sure we have had this discussion a long time ago, though I couldn't find it on searching, there have been mentions of caviar and pickled garlic, :yum: but neither are that easy to come by at the local Sainsbury :tears:

Greg

JoC
20th-May-2005, 04:19 PM
Well. Franck, Sheena and myself have been known to have the occasional curry after dancing. Which is fantastic. Of course, curry anytime is fantastic anyhow....

So, just to keep in the spirit of things, last night, here in Newcastle, I took some friends out for a curry after dancing. Was good :drool:

Posted at 7:26am........??????????? :eek:

Debster
23rd-May-2005, 04:14 AM
Glad to hear the positive rap for bananas, I just have them because they are convenient!
I like to make a debanana smoothie after dancing. It's quick and filling and yummy. It's just a banana, honey and milk combined with a hand blender. On special occasions when I'm feeling very happy and energetic (like I could be bothered to get another ingredient out of the fridge) I'll add in yoghurt or ice cream :drool:

David Bailey
23rd-May-2005, 08:47 AM
Glad to hear the positive rap for bananas, I just have them because they are convenient!
I like to make a debanana smoothie after dancing. It's quick and filling and yummy. It's just a banana, honey and milk combined with a hand blender. On special occasions when I'm feeling very happy and energetic (like I could be bothered to get another ingredient out of the fridge) I'll add in yoghurt or ice cream :drool:
Yay, another smoothie fan! :clap:

I occasionally do post-dance smoothies. i.e. made in advance, left in car whilst dancing (big effort of will there, I can tell you), then drunk on way back, yum!

The trouble is, they're no longer so cool and refreshing now the weather's getting warmer :eek:

DavidB
23rd-May-2005, 10:25 AM
Just clicked on 'New Posts, and saw this thread next to the 'Rhubarb Recipes Please' thread . The threat of eating rhubarb after dancing would be enough to make me stop dancing permanently :sick: :sick:

JoC
23rd-May-2005, 06:22 PM
So I start with a curry-chip-marmite smoothie with some isotonic noodles and pickled toast on the side to be eaten in a vertical position, followed by viennetta-redbull-cake-jelly which must be fed to me whilst I lie down, and am thus horizontal, washed down with a banana cereal cappuccino with a twist of hi-juice sprinkled with crisps and topped with sugar free jam?

I'm off to Tescos... :yum:

David Bailey
23rd-May-2005, 07:38 PM
So I start with a curry-chip-marmite smoothie with some isotonic noodles and pickled toast on the side to be eaten in a vertical position, followed by viennetta-redbull-cake-jelly which must be fed to me whilst I lie down, and am thus horizontal, washed down with a banana cereal cappuccino with a twist of hi-juice sprinkled with crisps and topped with sugar free jam?

I'm off to Tescos... :yum:
Hey, STOP!! YOU FORGOT THE SMOOTHIE!!

Doc Iain
23rd-May-2005, 11:08 PM
Absolutely - bananas ! What a recent swimming coach recommended if nothing else was an option.....

i bet he did!....:whistle:

Northants Girly
23rd-May-2005, 11:20 PM
Fish-finger sandwich with tomato sauce . . . YUM :D

jivecat
23rd-May-2005, 11:35 PM
I don't eat anything after Ceroc. Well, maybe an orange if I can't ignore the hunger pangs. And a glass of water.

David Bailey
24th-May-2005, 07:37 AM
I don't eat anything after Ceroc. Well, maybe an orange if I can't ignore the hunger pangs. And a glass of water.
Ouch, don't the shards hurt your mouth?
:innocent:

JoC
24th-May-2005, 10:07 AM
Hey, STOP!! YOU FORGOT THE SMOOTHIE!!

I refer you to the curry-chip-marmite smoothie...

I must have had the equivalent of all the above after dancing last night :sick: , might have to try something different on Wednesday

Jooles
24th-May-2005, 01:26 PM
After a night of dancing I love nothing better than a HUGE bowl of sugar puffs with really, really cold milk.

mmm making my mouth water just thinking about it

David Bailey
25th-May-2005, 07:51 PM
OK, my Definitive Food For Post-Dance is now decided - Crunchie bar, dipped in a .25 L bottle of banana and strawberry smoothie.

That's it. Debate closed.

JoC
26th-May-2005, 02:15 PM
OK, my Definitive Food For Post-Dance is now decided - Crunchie bar, dipped in a .25 L bottle of banana and strawberry smoothie.

My search is over :yum: