PDA

View Full Version : Jango con Gus-to, Gorgeous Gus Guests at Jango - Mon 16 May

Toby wan Kenobe
12th-May-2005, 11:24 PM
:worthy: :clap: :cheers: :worthy: :clap: :cheers: :worthy: :clap: :cheers:
Yes, Ladies and Gentlemen, the Jango Crew are pleased to announce that Gorgeous Gus, late of Cool Catz fame will be busting out the phat trax at next Mondays Jango.

Come and revel in the unique Gorgeous Gus Surround Sound Experience...

8.00p Intermediate+ Jango class with Will and Kate
9.00-11.00pm Gorgeous Gus puts Hammersmith Club Society on the music map.
:clap: :cheers: :worthy: :clap: :cheers: :worthy: :clap: :cheers: :worthy:

(Chill all you Kenobe fansters, I've left the Gusmeister with a CD chock full of Kenobe Killa trax so you'll be sure to get your fill of Kenobe trax too!!!)

TwK

Mary
13th-May-2005, 09:45 AM
We'll make sure he toes the line Tweekie, and stays true to the brotherhood. :D :worthy:

M

Divissima
13th-May-2005, 09:58 AM
I thought Gorgeous Gus was the gorilla? :confused: :devil:

DianaS
13th-May-2005, 10:27 AM
It is - but they often are mistaken for each other :D

Msfab
13th-May-2005, 11:31 AM
Its not Fair Im going to miss out on the Gorgeous Gus experience! :tears:

Hope you can live upto Kenobe's amazingly coloured shirts! :whistle:
Hope he doesnt let you down Kenobe! :rolleyes:

Msfab
13th-May-2005, 11:38 AM
And Does that mean we'll get to see more of those Kenobe moves :na:

Chicklet
13th-May-2005, 12:14 PM
what genre of music is "phat"?? :confused:
do we have that in Scotland??? :grin:

Clive Long
13th-May-2005, 12:20 PM
what genre of music is "phat"?? :confused:

Easy.

Phat is massive.

Chicklet
13th-May-2005, 12:30 PM
ah, long tracks, Paradise by the Dashboard Light etc... :grin:

Dance Demon
13th-May-2005, 05:06 PM
ah, long tracks, Paradise by the Dashboard Light etc... :grin:

I thought it was music by Michelle McManus and Rik waller :devil:

Gus
13th-May-2005, 07:16 PM
Hope he doesnt let you down Kenobe! :rolleyes:
The pressure is defintiely on. Regulars should rest assured taht I will attempt to emulate the feel of the TWK Experience ... but be ready for a few Cool Catz tracks to creep in :wink: :waycool:

Hope you can live up to Kenobe's amazingly coloured shirts! :whistle: Some aspects can never be surpassed though I do have a secret weapon to bring out of the closet (literally) :really:

Anyway ... should be a cool night, a great posse of friends turning up to pass judgement as to whether I should be allowed on a DJ stage ever again ... no pressure (much!) :sick: :sick:

Divissima
13th-May-2005, 07:38 PM
Regulars should rest assured taht I will attempt to emulate the feel of the TWK Experience ... I am uniquely qualified to verify how you measure up .. :really: :wink: :devil: But does this mean I have to bring you drinks the whole night? :cheers:

Anyway ... should be a cool night, a great posse of friends turning up to pass judgement as to whether I should be allowed on a DJ stage ever again ... no pressure (much!) :sick: :sick:It's going to be a stormer! :waycool:

Will
13th-May-2005, 08:44 PM
Hope you can live upto Kenobe's amazingly coloured shirts!

Some aspects can never be surpassed ...

Nor should they be! :angry:

Alfie
13th-May-2005, 11:52 PM

:nice: The gorilla is much better looking :wink:

Gus
14th-May-2005, 01:35 AM
:nice: The gorilla is much better looking :wink:OK .... look we know this to be true, but there's no need to rub it in. :angry:

To clarify matters;
Gorgeous Gus is a 3ft Gorrila and unfortunatley is still in Manchester while his passport and other formalities are sorted out so that he can emigrate to the desolate wastelands of 'Darn Sarf'.

You DJ host for Monday is just plain old Gus. :( HOWEVER, I will be assisted by 'Little Gus', another hairy simian. Though somewhat diminutive in stature when compared to 'Gorgeous Gus', what Lil Gus lacks in size, he makes up for in cuteness.

Its good to see that this thread so far has not fallen foul to off-thread comments re the music content of the night :rolleyes:

Feelingpink
14th-May-2005, 08:12 AM
Its good to see that this thread so far has not fallen foul to off-thread comments re the music content of the night :rolleyes:

Does this mean you won't be playing any Kylie? :na:
Or Fuoco Nel Fuoco for Groovy or Zebra if they're there? :what:

Gus
15th-May-2005, 07:03 PM
Or Fuoco Nel Fuoco for Groovy or Zebra if they're there? :what:If Groovy and Zebra want to recreate that special 'magic moment' again on the Jango floor, who am I to deny them? :waycool:

Also have a remix of an 'Army of Lovers' track that I may dare to try out (sounds like Kylie on LSD after a close encounter with a LadyBoy).

Lou
15th-May-2005, 10:56 PM
Also have a remix of an 'Army of Lovers' track that I may dare to try out (sounds like Kylie on LSD after a close encounter with a LadyBoy).
Bizarre coincidence - I just came across my old copy of Crucified the other day & have been playing it in the car. :) Shame I can't make it to Jango... :cool:

Toby wan Kenobe
16th-May-2005, 02:26 PM
And Does that mean we'll get to see more of those Kenobe moves :na:
Hopefully...

I have the night off to attend my 10 year Alumni reunion at my old business school. But I hope to make it for the last half hour of jango for a dance - and to make sure Gus has 'full floor' :clap: Go Gus! :clap:Go Gus! :clap:

Feelingpink
16th-May-2005, 05:24 PM
Hopefully...

I have the night off to attend my 10 year Alumni reunion at my old business school. But I hope to make it for the last half hour of jango for a dance - and to make sure Gus has 'full floor' :clap: Go Gus! :clap:Go Gus! :clap:

10 years?! But you're too young for these celebrations surely Toby??!! If you make it back in time, do save me a dance! :clap:

Zebra Woman
16th-May-2005, 05:52 PM
Or Fuoco Nel Fuoco for Groovy or Zebra if they're there? :what:

Sadly I won't be there. Have a fab night everyone :grin:

I may be wrong Gus, but I think Dale's favourite song is Tieni Il Tempo. :whistle: (TWK also likes it so if you played it late in your set on they could maybe both enjoy it).

I think 'Fuoco Nel Fuoco' was SilverFox's favourite last month, maybe it still is?

I like both :innocent:

Good Luck :clap: :hug:

Alison x

Minnie M
16th-May-2005, 07:06 PM
Sorry Gus, 'fraid I can't make it now - *my foot is hurting :tears: Mr. & Mrs Par will be there though

Really upset as I know it going to be a really great night

big hugs

Lynda xx

*(any tips of easing the pain, please PM me - I have Plantar Fasciitis /Heel Spur, Heel Pain)

under par
17th-May-2005, 12:49 AM
Just got back to south coast having had a fantastic evening at Jango.

Mrs Par and I had a load of great dances with lots of the forum regulars, thankyou all .

Hope to see you all at Greenwich Saturday night.

Minnie hope your foot recovers really quick.

Really enjoyed the lesson too. Thanks to Will and Kate :worthy: very difficult to learn must be dreadfully difficult to teach.

Gus was the man!! Well done on your inaugral jango set. :clap:

under par
17th-May-2005, 12:58 AM
One thing though Gus!!!!! I must mention that song that should never be mentioned, you know the one!! Even the first 3 chords got a reaction you devil!!! :devil: :devil:

Hope a certain legend doesn't hear about this......been a bit grumpy lately... :wink: :whistle:

Heather
17th-May-2005, 07:57 AM
I thought it was music by Michelle McManus and Rik waller :devil:

:rofl: :rofl:
How about Fats Domino ?
:hug:
Heather,
xx

Feelingpink
17th-May-2005, 09:57 AM
Sorry Gus, 'fraid I can't make it now - *my foot is hurting :tears: Mr. & Mrs Par will be there though

Really upset as I know it going to be a really great night

big hugs

Lynda xx

*(any tips of easing the pain, please PM me - I have Plantar Fasciitis /Heel Spur, Heel Pain)

Sorry you're in pain - we missed you! :flower: And I missed what sounded like a great lesson :angry: (Bother work for making me late). Another time? Although next time Gus DJs (subject to survey), perhaps he'll not try to outdo Toby in the shirt department ... with something best viewed with welding goggles. :what:

Divissima
17th-May-2005, 10:05 AM
Zebra and Minnie, you were sorely missed. I hope your foot gets better soon, Minnie.

It was a great night - Gus played a great set (even without the aid of a gorilla), even assaulting our eyes with a shirt of Kenobe toxicity :waycool: :clap:

As for that tune, I happen to like it.... :devil: :whistle:

under par
17th-May-2005, 10:24 AM
., even assaulting our eyes with a shirt of Kenobe toxicity :waycool: :clap:

Oh yes I forgot last night to mention Gus' shirt. :waycool:

Jango is the only venue I know that everybody could see each other with the lights off..............

that shirt was so BRIGHT. :waycool: :waycool: :waycool:

Will
17th-May-2005, 11:33 AM
Much has been said of Gus' inaugral set last night at Jango.

Obviously Jango has a reputation for pushing the boundaries of the music you get to hear on the circuit. To do this and pull it off requires real talent, and DJ Kenobe has been quite literally blazed a trail in this area lately. Last night Gus stepped into the fray and is to be congratulated as his set went down very well.

However, I would like feedback from punters about the one awkward moment in the evening when he decided to play "Smack my Bitch Up!" by the Prodigy. Was this just too much???

I thought people were looking somewhat disturbed at that point, but I wasn't sure whether it was the song he was playing that was unsettling people, or the fact that once it had started he then lept off the stage and onto the dance floor and proceeded to demonstrate rather "extreme musicality" on poor Feeling Pink (who fortunately is an expert in the art of female hijacking / sabotage of the lead and managed to have Gus in a headlock by the end of the track)

Mary
17th-May-2005, 11:41 AM
I liked the tribute to Lily - :wink:

M

Lory
17th-May-2005, 11:51 AM
However, I would like feedback from punters about the one awkward moment in the evening when he decided to play "Smack my Bitch Up!" by the Prodigy. Was this just too much???

I thought people were looking somewhat disturbed at that point, but I wasn't sure whether it was the song he was playing that was unsettling people, or the fact that once it had started he then lept off the stage and onto the dance floor and proceeded to demonstrate rather "extreme musicality" on poor Feeling Pink (who fortunately is an expert in the art of female hijacking / sabotage of the lead and managed to have Gus in a headlock by the end of the track)
Sounds like a hilarious night!! And there was I, at home, nursing a rotton head cold! :tears: :tears: :tears:

Sorry I missed it guys! :(

Sparkles
17th-May-2005, 11:52 AM

I though it was a strange choice, and very brave considering, but I didn't mind dancing to it (and in doing so, with a very mild-mannered partner I managed to avoid seeing the 'goings-on' between G&FP :what: ). I confess I did notice a few raised eyebrows but I personally wasn't offended.

I would like to congratulate Gus on his set - with a noticeable Salsa flavour which provided an interesting contrast to the normally more Tango mood. There was certainly something there for everyone, and I even noticed a couple Samba-ing at one point :worthy:.

Thank you everyone for my wonderful dances, best night I've had in ages :clap:. TwK - I'll get you next time :flower: :hug:.

S. x

Msfab
17th-May-2005, 11:58 AM
It was a great night - Gus played a great set (even without the aid of a gorilla), even assaulting our eyes with a shirt of Kenobe toxicity :waycool: :clap:

Wished Id made the trip just to see the shirt Gus decided to dazzle all those dancers with! :na:

Will
17th-May-2005, 12:05 PM
I though it was a strange choice, and very brave considering, but I didn't mind dancing to it (and in doing so, with a very mild-mannered partner I managed to avoid seeing the 'goings-on' between G&FP :what: ). I confess I did notice a few raised eyebrows but I personally wasn't offended.. x
Apologies, I now have it on good authority that it was "The Mavericks" and not "Smack my Bitch Up!" that Gus played at the moment in question. I'm sure everyone can understand the confusion, they do both sound very similar. It must have been Gus' musicality that tricked me :whistle:

Gus
17th-May-2005, 12:16 PM
Apologies, I now have it on good authority that it was "The Mavericks" and not "Smack my Bitch Up!" that Gus played at the moment in question. I'm sure everyone can understand the confusion, they do both sound very similar. It must have been Gus' musicality that tricked me :whistle:
May I state categorically that I DID NOT play Smack my Bitch ... and only enough of the Mavericks to stop people in their tracks ( :devil: :devil: ) ... the look on peoples faces was one to treasure. I did play a few 'off the wall tracks' including "Walking with Zombies" (Army of Lovers) and "what you going to do" (3 Amigos) and a few clubby tracks. However, as Sparkles pointed out, most of the set was more Jazz/Salsa based rather than Tango as I don’t have the vast array of wonderful Tango-esque tracks that TWK has amassed and the ones I did have were on my iPod that I couldn’t get to work properly with the kit! :tears:

Sparkles
17th-May-2005, 12:23 PM
Oops :blush:
- my mind must have wandered.....
S. x

Sheepman
17th-May-2005, 12:53 PM
- my mind must have wandered..... OK, I think it's time to come clean here. :blush:
Sparkles and I were dancing to "Smack My Bitch Up", I've no idea what the rest of you lot were dancing to!
The trouble is, I was the bitch, :eek: :really: and I've just relived the experience by listening to that track again. I think I'd better go and take a lie down... :what:

Greg

foxylady
17th-May-2005, 01:18 PM
Just to add my plaudits...

Unfortunately couldn't get there for the lesson, but had two dreamy dances with Will, a very sultry dance with DavidB (well as sultry as he'd let me be), and a really raunchy one with FeelingPink !! :yeah: Sparkles was on good form as usual (despite her burn), it was really nice to meet Katie from the Aussie forum, and UnderPar sur-par-ssed himself.....:groan:

The set was brilliant. I love TwK's music, but I'm not as Tango-y as I'd like to be, but I am Jazz-y and Salsa-y so I enjoyed Gus's choices...

And I had a fab night.... :clap: :hug: :flower:

Thank you to all

(and btw Divi, I like that track too.... )

Divissima
17th-May-2005, 01:35 PM
Wished Id made the trip just to see the shirt Gus decided to dazzle all those dancers with! :na:It was a sight to behold :really: I'm sure if we ask him nicely, Msfab, he'll wear it next time you are down from Nottingham :waycool:

Gus
17th-May-2005, 01:36 PM
Got to say that I've never been more nervous about playing a set than I was last night! It wasn’t just the fact that I was playing at TWKs Temple, nor the fact that TWK's kit makes the Starship Enterprise look like the Stone Age ... it was playing to group of dancers I know personally and have great admiration for their dancing prowess ..... its not often that I've played to a whole dancefloor where I know nearly everyone personally ... kind of puts you on the spot :sick:

Having said that it was a really fun night … a very appreciative audience ( :hug: ) willing to try anything I threw at them (except maybe for The Mavericks). The other nice thing was I got some non-lovey feedback about what people liked and disliked. One of my mates said that there were a number of tracks that didn’t really do it for her, two that came to mind were “Lily was here” and “”If that was me” (Mel C).

Its an interesting point. Though I regard these both as great bluesy records, were they out of place at Jango? The TWK experience is more than just a passé joke. Jango does have a particular feel to it … and as a visiting DJ there is that challenge to ‘conform’ … while still putting a bit of your own style in to it. On reflection I’m not sure if playing these blues tracks was a good or bad thing …. Will wait for more feedback … but at least the overall set seems to be in line with the TWK ethos….. so I may even get asked back again some time? :flower:

Feelingpink
17th-May-2005, 01:37 PM
I liked the tribute to Lily - :wink:

M

:yeah: :clap: :clap:

It's a Pink Martini track!

Daisy
17th-May-2005, 05:49 PM
I really wanted to go to last night and not having danced for two weeks is just horrid, especially when I hear how good it was. Well done Gus. :clap:

I'm so desperate to dance that I'd dance to anything....even the Mavericks....... three times in a row! :rofl: