PDA

View Full Version : Dance Heroes 2005

Ste
11th-May-2005, 10:46 PM
Do you remember a few years ago we had a thread about dance heroes?

Who are your present dance heroes?

Minnie M
11th-May-2005, 11:10 PM
Well - who is your hero ?

Lounge Lizard
12th-May-2005, 08:57 AM
Nicole & Andrew
p

Mary
12th-May-2005, 11:35 AM
Nicole & Andrew
p

:yeah: And also Catriona and Lee - that guy can moooove and Cat is hypnotic. But tough call with such a line up of 'stars' dancing last night. Couldn't dance - just had to sit and watch and :drool: :drool: . Looks like the Winning Post is becoming the secret hang-out.

M

Ste
17th-May-2005, 12:17 AM
Well - who is your hero ?

I have a lot of modern jive heroes like Clayton and Janine ;Will and Kate; and Nicky Haslam and Robert; Carol Haynes and Victor. I think there are others who I rate as individual dancers although they may not have won opens. One guy I really think could be really phenomenal is Ben Borego and probably guy that impressed me the most when I started dancing was Brian Collaco who has not competed much recently but is great to watch.

I would say that probably the best dancer I have ever seen is the Latin Ballroom dancer, Brian Watson.I didn't see that much of him on Eurosport but he was amazing. I love watching ice skaters as wekk but I can't remember their names. THere is one called Oksana something or other. She is incredible.

My favourite salsa dancer is a guy called Henry who taught me a bit. Really stylish.

Lounge Lizard
17th-May-2005, 11:05 AM
:yeah: And also Catriona and Lee - that guy can moooove and Cat is hypnotic.
I agree, I did not expect anyone to dance to that song, it is a fav of mine and just played it while we were clearing the tables - what a bonus that dance demonstration was :drool:

Purple Sparkler
17th-May-2005, 11:21 AM
Simon Borland- and I can't believe I'm the first to nominate him as a Dance Hero.

I've learned more in the 5 months I've been going to his classes than I learned in the year I'd been dancing before he came to London- not just moves, but style and all the other things that seem to be turning me from an OK dancer into one who gets complimented by partners. That man can TEACH. You can tell people get what he's saying because only after his classes are the men I dance with still using moves from the intermediate routine at the end of the freestyle. And I started going to Fulham for his advanced classes because I knew I'd be able to get the routines if he explained them.

If he's reading this, I should add that a lot more of them are managing double spins as well. As am I, because he makes you want to practice.

*ahem* he's a bloody sexy freestyle partner as well *ahem*

I'm sorry, was that out loud?

Tessalicious
17th-May-2005, 11:31 AM
Simon Borland

Seconded - I can't believe the Aussies let him go, or are all Aussie teachers as good?
Also Viktor - one of the few really good dancers and teachers that isn't in the slightest bit intimidating to dance with even for someone like me :blush:
And then there's Lily - quite simply stylistically inspirational!

jivecat
17th-May-2005, 11:47 AM
This week's heroes, in no particular order:

*Mike thingy from Nottingham way for being a fab leader and living locally.

*Under Par, 'cos I enjoyed dancing with him so much at Camber.

*A little chap I met in the Blues room at Camber, 'cos he was absolutely brilliant at introducing, shall we say, ahem, an element of, how can I put it, er, erotic tension into the dance.

Applications now being taken for next week's heroes.

P.S. I can't be doing with all this adulation/hero-worship stuff, especially when I've never even danced with any of them or indeed have the faintest idea who they are.

Purple Sparkler
17th-May-2005, 11:50 AM
Seconded - I can't believe the Aussies let him go, or are all Aussie teachers as good?

Hopefully I'll find out in September when I go on my Dance Holiday in Granada- he's teaching with another dance teacher from Australia called Camille. They're also doing a team routine at the end of August and I'm Far Too Excited.

As for the Aussies letting him go, I think they'll bear it- they get him back at the end of the year after all (or so I heard). So unfair! What will us Brits do without him?

Graham W
17th-May-2005, 02:48 PM
I agree about Ben - he did make an impression in comps 2002/3 - incl finalist in JiveMasters...

Is he teaching anywhere now?

I've got a soft spot for Anita's dancing & Dale is looking confident - ceroc champs...

I could go on..

G

Danielle
17th-May-2005, 02:58 PM
I have to agree with Mary, i think Catriona and Lee are amazing!! Cat is a brilliant teacher, am learning so much from her classes, and can't take my eyes of her when she dances (just sit there in awe wondering how she moves like that and desperately trying to copy!!).

Also Vicktor, Simon R and Nigel cos as dance teachers they push me to my limits without going over my head are easy to approach and have helped me loads!! :flower:

Ste
18th-May-2005, 11:27 PM
Who are Catriona and Lee? They sound interesting.

I suppose I should concentrate on people that people know but when I went to Cricklewood and Baden Powell House I used to admire a fantastic couple who knew Lindy Hop. The gentleman is tall, handsome with spectacles and thelady is a Scottish lady called Jackie.I would have paid money to watch them dance. I don't think that they have ever competed butwhen I watch them dance it is like watching a show. They were incredible and I could learn a lot from them but do not live in London anymore.

Another of my heroes is actually Michaela from Ceroc Central. She encouraged me a lot some years ago and I loved watching her dance.

marty_baby
19th-May-2005, 05:08 PM
Hiya All,

Catriona - Is that West Coast Swing Catriona Who does Ealing Classes? She was at Torquay for the weekender just gone... and she is admazing, both as a teacher, and as a dancer! :nice:

Dance Hero for 2005 tho?.... Dunno about putting dates on it... but dancers that really left a lasting impression on me are Amir and Kate doing the Tango in Brighton, and Will and Kate doing some crazy Leroc at the Bawa in Bristol. Really inspirational!

Best wishes
Martin
:cheers:

JamesGeary
20th-May-2005, 01:34 PM
Ben Borego & Mark Forster.

Because they both make what would otherwise be standard moves so interesting.

And Vicktor for being Vickor

Minnie M
20th-May-2005, 01:37 PM
Adam & Tas

Amazing talent :worthy:

Will
20th-May-2005, 01:46 PM
James Geary, for speed and accuracy of movement. (and for not being able to spell Viktor).

Ste
20th-May-2005, 09:59 PM
I forgot......

I met James Geary just before I started competing and I have to say I love watching his dancing. Probabaly the most original male cerocer, incredible intricacy, great style and flair.Great shapes and technique in a dance form which is still relatively immature. Great sense of groove like a musician. Flair like that of a martial artist.His standard was the bench mark by which I compared myself and I still copy his moves.

Someone else who is a big influence is Dave Rockov. Would like to see him practice with one partner and do the Open |(hint hint).

Anyway James when are you competing again. I thought your dancing with Hailey was original and dynamic and ceroc-based whereas many other people ( admittedly me too) are getting into other styles.