PDA

View Full Version : RSS Feed

DavidB
11th-May-2005, 02:46 PM
There is an RSS feed for the forum available at www.cerocscotland.com/forum/external.php?type=rss .

Is there any way of getting this feed to show the last post in a thread, instead of the first.

At the moment it only changes when a new thread is added.

Minnie M
11th-May-2005, 04:03 PM
Under the "Last Post" col

11th-May-2005 03:38 PM
by Zebra Woman >
The " > " takes you to the last post in the thread - I always use this

Is this what you mean David ?

Zebra Woman
11th-May-2005, 04:15 PM
Beginner's Guide please :confused:

How do I get RSS working for the Forum? I have seen it used for BBC News on my brother's PC that's all.

ZW :flower:

DavidB
11th-May-2005, 05:01 PM
The BBC do a far better job of explaining it than I could:

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/help/3223484.stm

So the BBC News RSS feed just lists all the headlines on their website. When they put a new news story on their website, the RSS feed gets updated. You run another program on your PC that looks at these feeds, and it tells you when something has been updated.

I use one of the programs that the BBC recommended - Awasu (http://www.awasu.com) which seems to work very well. I have feeds set up for the BBC News, BBC Sport, BBC Sport's Leeds United page, various IT websites, etc. I can see if any of these web sites have been updated, and what the stories are about, without having to visit any of them. It is only when there is an interesting headline that I would actually look at the story on the web site.

It saves time and bandwidth, because you don't have to visit each website to see if anything has changed. (Actually it doesn't save time, you end up reading more in the same time)

It is also pretty easy. I'd heard about it a while ago, but always thought it would be too complicated. I tried it for the first time on Monday night after reading about it again on the BBC website (they are really pushing it at the moment). I had about 20 feeds set up an hour later.

(An RSS feed for the Ceroc forum would list all the threads instead of headlines. And it should update whenever a new post is made.)

David

El Salsero Gringo
11th-May-2005, 05:28 PM
The BBC do a far better job of explaining it than I could:

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/help/3223484.stm

So the BBC News RSS feed just lists all the headlines on their website. When they put a new news story on their website, the RSS feed gets updated. You run another program on your PC that looks at these feeds, and it tells you when something has been updated.

I use one of the programs that the BBC recommended - Awasu (http://www.awasu.com) which seems to work very well. I have feeds set up for the BBC News, BBC Sport, BBC Sport's Leeds United page, various IT websites, etc. I can see if any of these web sites have been updated, and what the stories are about, without having to visit any of them. It is only when there is an interesting headline that I would actually look at the story on the web site.

It saves time and bandwidth, because you don't have to visit each website to see if anything has changed. (Actually it doesn't save time, you end up reading more in the same time)

It is also pretty easy. I'd heard about it a while ago, but always thought it would be too complicated. I tried it for the first time on Monday night after reading about it again on the BBC website (they are really pushing it at the moment). I had about 20 feeds set up an hour later.

(An RSS feed for the Ceroc forum would list all the threads instead of headlines. And it should update whenever a new post is made.)

DavidIs there a mechanism for the application to authenticate to the RSS server? Otherwise you'll only be able to see the public forums.

DavidB
11th-May-2005, 06:00 PM
Is there a mechanism for the application to authenticate to the RSS server? Otherwise you'll only be able to see the public forums.It can authenticate. But even without setting this it could see threads from all the forums. I'm guessing when you actually view a thread it uses the forum cookie on the PC to authenticate.

Minnie M
11th-May-2005, 06:04 PM
..........Is this what you mean David ?
:blush: :na: :whistle:
I think I stick to making lochshun soup :drool: (aka Jewish Penicilin)

Lory
11th-May-2005, 06:32 PM
I think I stick to making lochshun soup :drool:
Bless! :hug: