PDA

View Full Version : A request for some advice about buying Dance Shoes if I may

marty_baby
8th-May-2005, 12:52 PM
Hiya All,

A request for some advice about buying Dance shoes if I may :nice:

Buying Dance Shoes:
* I'm looking to buy a proper pair at last. (At that Torquay weekender - Shoe sellers will be there etc.)
* I'll probably go for a "standard" pair as a starting point, to go with my trusty Blocks

But what is "standard"?!?!

Right now, I'm after some really basic info. Hope you can throw your thoughts on the below:

What should I be looking out for, when accessing a pile of shoes for sale???

Type of sole:
Suede?
Leather?
Trainer type soles???
* Pro and Cons
* is always going to be suede, with dance shoes?

Any reputable Makes I should look out for?

heel height... Is it an issue with Blokes?? (oh man.... question has got to be asked tho!....)

Shock Absorption???
* I use to do alot of running. Toghether with my stomping kinda style... the knees use to take a real hammering....
* The Blocks are Fab - can dance all day.... no jarring or anything....

* Is it simply a case of "dance Shoes - more feel - but less shock Absorption. if you are worried about it - adjust your style, when wearing shoes"

Thinner the Sole the better? (More feel or whatever??)
* .... back to that Shock absoption debate!

Anything else I should look for in dance shoes?

I'd really appreciate your thoughts on the above!
Yours, Mr Pedantic....
Martin

:nice: :nice: :nice:

Lynn
8th-May-2005, 01:19 PM
You might find some helpful comments and discussions here (http://www.cerocscotland.com/forum/showthread.php?t=2360)

ducasi
8th-May-2005, 02:19 PM
I'm also currently thinking about buying shoes to dance in – I'll maybe get both dance trainers for classes and such, and something a little more formal for special occasions.

The question about dance trainers seem to have only one answer:- "Bloch's." One question – do they look as stupid in real life as they do in the pictures on the web sites? :really:

Oh, and if everybody's wearing the same shoes, isn't that a bit dull?

For more formal shoes, I've no idea – and answers to Marty_baby's questions would certainly help.

You might find some helpful comments and discussions here (http://www.cerocscotland.com/forum/showthread.php?t=2360) Indeed, there's lots of good stuff about where to get shoes, and who makes them, but most of the discussion seems to be centred around ladies' shoes. (I wonder why... :wink: )

There doesn't seem to be very much about what should I (as a guy) be looking for in a "proper" shoe, which is just what marty_baby seems to be asking.

Do I really need to get "proper" dance shoes, or will any slippy-soled shoe do?

One thing in particular I've been wondering about from wandering round various shoe shops, is it's hard to find semi-formal shoes with a leather sole. Are all synthetic soles bad? How can you tell?

clevedonboy
8th-May-2005, 02:24 PM
WRT Bloch trainers there are different stlyes - I like the "stealth" - more low profile & very light. Be warned that they do need to be broken in though

Baruch
8th-May-2005, 04:13 PM
The question about dance trainers seem to have only one answer:- "Bloch's." One question – do they look as stupid in real life as they do in the pictures on the web sites? :really:
On the web sites you're looking at them side-on, but in normal use you're looking down at them, and they look a lot better from that angle.

Also, there's more than just Bloch out there. I have a pair of Rumpf dance trainers, and they're really comfy and good for dancing in.

MartinHarper
8th-May-2005, 04:25 PM
Do I really need to get "proper" dance shoes, or will any slippy-soled shoe do?

I still have my black leather-soled shoes from school. They dance well, and are slippier than either of my proper dance shoes. They have had several years of wear to smooth the soles down, though. I'm not sure how effective they'd be brand new.

ducasi
8th-May-2005, 05:10 PM
Can I ask about shoe sizes?

I'm just back from trying on a couple of pairs of Bloch trainers...

I'm a UK size 8, sometimes 7½ (hope that half symbol came out OK).

This translates to a euro size 42, sometimes 41.

US sizes would be 8½ or 8.

So, when I asked to try on a size 8, I'm given a size "11" that's too small! Just as well we didn't start with the 7½ shoes!

The size 9 (aka size "12") fitted much better.

So can anyone tell me what's going on here? What planet do Bloch shoes come from that their sizes don't match anything else?

I understand that these shoes will stretch a little in use, but if I buy a size 9 they won't need to. Or perhaps the size 8 will be just-right after a wee while, and the size 9 will be falling off my feet?

Advice, please! :flower:

(Also got to say, these split-sole shoes feel really weird. I guess you get used to them. The shop didn't have much of a choice either, either black lace-up or black slip-on. And only the lace-up in "my" size. I'm looking for something a bit different – I don't want to be wearing the same pair of shoes as anyone else in the room.)

clevedonboy
8th-May-2005, 05:24 PM
selection of trainers - including colours

http://www.totaldance.co.uk/catalog/index.php/cPath/24_55_173

(where I got mine from)

MartinHarper
8th-May-2005, 05:26 PM
You can get other colours by ordering online, or asking the shop to order on your behalf.
Blochs do stretch in use, and the advice I was given was to get the smallest size that didn't feel painful or scrunch my toes up. That was good advice in retrospect.

El Salsero Gringo
8th-May-2005, 05:47 PM
Can I ask about shoe sizes?

I'm just back from trying on a couple of pairs of Bloch trainers...

I'm a UK size 8, sometimes 7½ (hope that half symbol came out OK).

This translates to a euro size 42, sometimes 41.

US sizes would be 8½ or 8.

So, when I asked to try on a size 8, I'm given a size "11" that's too small! Just as well we didn't start with the 7½ shoes!

The size 9 (aka size "12") fitted much better.

So can anyone tell me what's going on here? What planet do Bloch shoes come from that their sizes don't match anything else?A UK 8 is not a US 8. US Sizes are generally three bigger than the corresponding UK size, and as a rule of thumb add 30 to the US size to get the European size.

Therefore if you are a UK 8, you should try a US 11 or a European 41. These are only very approximate equivalences since (for instance) the European sizes are based on a centimetric measure and the UK and US ones on inches - hence the size increments are not exactly the same in both.

Additionally, the size that fits the best will depend on the lasting of the shoe which varies according to style, and designer's preference.

The best way is to find the pair that is comfortable, which doesn't slip at the heel as you walk and in which you can't feel the end of the shoe with your toes - and forget what the size measurement says.

Hope that helps.

Lou
8th-May-2005, 05:53 PM
A UK 8 is not a US 8. US Sizes are generally three bigger than the corresponding UK size
You would think that, wouldn't you? I certainly did until I had to guess Mr Lou's US size. Your equation works well for ladies, but it's not actually always true for men. (Except for in the bizzare world of Bloch, of course)

Here's a handy sizing guide which might help explain the issues ducasi found:

http://www.i18nguy.com/l10n/shoes.html#adult

El Salsero Gringo
8th-May-2005, 06:02 PM
You would think that, wouldn't you? I certainly did until I had to guess Mr Lou's US size. Your equation works well for ladies, but it's not actually always true for men. (Except for in the bizzare world of Bloch, of course)

Here's a handy sizing guide which might help explain the issues ducasi found:

http://www.i18nguy.com/l10n/shoes.html#adultHi Lou,
I have seen that guide, but basically, it's wrong in many places. A UK women's '8' is definitely not a European 43, (more like a 41.5) nor is it the same as a US 10 - (more like an 11). I know because over the last few years I have fitted several thousand pairs of women's shoes in European sizes to people who claim to know their UK or US sizes. That's how I also know there can be big differences between different designers and different lasts.

You are right to point out that there is a difference between the men's and women's sizes, however.

ducasi
8th-May-2005, 06:03 PM
A UK 8 is not a US 8. US Sizes are generally three bigger than the corresponding UK size, and as a rule of thumb add 30 to the US size to get the European size.

Therefore if you are a UK 8, you should try a US 11 or a European 41.
... Not according to this page (http://www.i18nguy.com/l10n/shoes.html), or this page (http://www.bata.com/tips/shoe_size_chart.php) (though they do disagree.) Or any of the other pages I found on the 'net.

In fact, this pdf chart (http://www.bata.com/documents/pdf/size_chart_printable.pdf) is just what I was looking for, and it says UK 8 –> US 8.5 –> Euro 42.

Still doesn't explain where Bloch get their sizes from... :sad:

El Salsero Gringo
8th-May-2005, 06:10 PM
Not according to this page (http://www.i18nguy.com/l10n/shoes.html), or this page (http://www.bata.com/tips/shoe_size_chart.php) (though they do disagree.) Or any of the other pages I found on the 'net.

In fact, this pdf chart (http://www.bata.com/documents/pdf/size_chart_printable.pdf) is just what I was looking for, and it says UK 8 –> US 8.5 –> Euro 42.Just goes to show, you shouldn't believe everything you read on the Internet.

Still doesn't explain where Bloch get their sizes from... :sad:Exactly!

ducasi
8th-May-2005, 06:19 PM
Just goes to show, you shouldn't believe everything you read on the Internet. Sure, but they agree with what I know myself. Can you point to any web page which agrees with you? The chart I referred to was created by an international shoe corporation with a presence across the the whole world. Why should I believe you and not them?

Another data point – the shoe box of the Merrell (American) shoes I'm wearing say "US 8.5" "UK 8" "EURO 42". If they are wrong, why don't my feet hurt?

El Salsero Gringo
8th-May-2005, 06:36 PM
Sure, but they agree with what I know myself. Can you point to any web page which agrees with you? The chart I referred to was created by an international shoe corporation with a presence across the the whole world. Why should I believe you and not them?I don't really mind who you believe. I can only share with you what I've learnt by actually fitting shoes from about a dozen different manufacturers from across Spain and Italy to several thousand ladies from the UK, the USA and others. That experience with real people and real feet disagrees significantly with all those charts in many places. (Particularly the Bata online size converter.)

Another data point – the shoe box of the Merrell (American) shoes I'm wearing say "US 8.5" "UK 8" "EURO 42". If they are wrong, why don't my feet hurt?Try the Bloch (US) size 8.5 and tell me how much your feet hurt...

I only ever sold women's shoes, but checking those guides and tables against the ladies' sizes shows me that they are sufficiently wrong for the rest of the data to be suspect.

Still, I'm glad you found a pair that suit you!

RogerR
8th-May-2005, 08:08 PM
Shoes! so many shoes and so little time! Soles suede for me but some want grip so they wear trainers or dance trainers. I tend to buy Ballroom shoes black or patent and the sizes are not too far off street sizes. If you really want something unique then get them MADE http://www.thelittleshoebox.com/ do make a last to your feet and then do anything you want - sole heel colour etc.

Oh! they do make shoes that would "get you noticed"

ducasi
8th-May-2005, 11:25 PM
... If you really want something unique then get them MADE http://www.thelittleshoebox.com/ do make a last to your feet and then do anything you want - sole heel colour etc.

Oh! they do make shoes that would "get you noticed" Wow, that's an interesting web site... Some of those shoes would get you more than noticed! :wink:

marty_baby
9th-May-2005, 12:11 AM
Hiya guys! :nice:

I hope we can all get off that web site... :rofl: and get back to the original question posed in this thread! :)

Thanks Ducasi for putting it eloquantly.... Basic blokey info asked for... RE: Basic "what to look for" shoe specification advice! :)

Hope you can help
Martin
:cheers:

MartinHarper
9th-May-2005, 11:23 AM
Basic blokey info asked for... RE: Basic "what to look for" shoe specification advice!

What specific questions do you have that are not already answered in the shoes (http://www.cerocscotland.com/forum/showthread.php?t=2360) thread?

ducasi
9th-May-2005, 11:36 AM
What specific questions do you have that are not already answered in the shoes (http://www.cerocscotland.com/forum/showthread.php?t=2360) thread?
Stuff about guy's "proper" shoes. That thread is 90% about girl's shoes, and the only discussion about male shoes centres on dance trainers.

Lou
9th-May-2005, 12:02 PM
Stuff about guy's "proper" shoes. That thread is 90% about girl's shoes, and the only discussion about male shoes centres on dance trainers.
Plus Martin's been somewhat discombobulated by the discovery that he can choose heel height. :grin: I don't recall ever talking about that here.

Graham
9th-May-2005, 12:12 PM
Have a look at what other dancers are wearing - there are bound to be some Blochs at most venues. In the case of your particular venue I believe there are several people who wear them, including me.

Lynn
9th-May-2005, 01:41 PM
Still doesn't explain where Bloch get their sizes from... :sad: :yeah: I know someone has said ladies sizes are different from mens, but I am UK 4, Eur 37 and Bloch 8.5! I don't care what size they say, as long as they fit my feet.

That is one advantage of buying from a shop or shoe retailer at a dance venue, rather than the internet. You can tell them what street size you are and they will know what that will be in the various dance shoe brands. There were a pair of Freed shoes I liked but didn't seem to fit in the 4. Alfie suggested a 3 1/2 and they were a perfect fit. So I just ignore the size label and go by the retailers advice and what is comfortable on my own feet.

marty_baby
9th-May-2005, 01:43 PM
Hiya all! :nice:

Lou_baby - you saucy minx! :rofl: I had to look that word up in the dictionary!

dis·com·bob·u·late:
"...To throw into a state of confusion. See Synonyms at confuse. ..."

Martin xxx

marty_baby
9th-May-2005, 02:05 PM
Hiya all,

On a serious note....

... I'm afraid Ducasi is right on this one. OK that other thread mentioned is HUGE, and touches on loads of different and pertinent points.... but it does not discuss the SPECIFIC questions I listed at the start of my post!

I really don't want to get into a silly Flame about this. However I have to say that:

1. I did do a reasonable search on the forum 1st for these answers, before posting my questions. (Including the post mentioned... I've read it, and do actually think it is a really good informative read.)

2. I hope posters can bear in mind that not everyone is informed about shoe basics. (What makes a good shoe... the material dynamics etc.) Until someone is told the basics (Ie my specific Questions for example!), they will not know. :o

As I said, I really don't want to get into tizzy about something as trivial as this. If anything, please treat this post as a consolidation of "Q&As re:Male shoe basics" if you like! :nice:

If answering the questions is too long winded and boring basic... no problems... leave it to someone else out there!

All the Best
Martin
:flower:

David Bailey
9th-May-2005, 02:40 PM
I really don't want to get into a silly Flame about this.
Well, you're no fun, then.

Actually, I'd be interested in knowing something about this as well - men are just hopeless when it comes to shoes, and I'd certainly appreciate any guidance. Perhaps we should start a "Men In Black (shoes)" thread...

Lou
9th-May-2005, 03:26 PM
... I'm afraid Ducasi is right on this one. OK that other thread mentioned is HUGE, and touches on loads of different and pertinent points.... but it does not discuss the SPECIFIC questions I listed at the start of my post!
Don't worry - it's just MartinHarper's way of writing. It's not meant to start a flamefest! :D He's lovely when you get to know him. (Ooops. I probably shouldn't destroy the mythos ;) ).

However...

As I said, I really don't want to get into tizzy about something as trivial as this.
This thread is about shoes. It is NOT trivial! http://leroc.net/images/icon_flame.gif

MartinHarper
9th-May-2005, 04:20 PM
I'll maybe get both dance trainers for classes and such, and something a little more formal for special occasions.

One possible problem with this approach is that different shoes have different soles, different shapes, etc, and this will effect your dancing. You may want to do a proportion of your classes in your formal dance shoes, so that you are more comfortable in them when you go to special occasions.

kingo
9th-May-2005, 04:51 PM
Marty -I don't think there is an easy answer.
I've tried all sorts of shoes from split sole jazz, trainers and blochs: even ceroc'd in safety boots (not as bad as you might think!).
Anything comfy with the right amount of grip/slip is generally OK.
It's the last thing that tricky and all you can do is try them out.
If you want a different look to your Blochs then a normal mens shoe with a leather sole and hard rubber heel will work on most dance floors.
If you spend all your time with one pair of shoes you might find it difficult adapting to another pair, a bit like competition partners!

RogerR
9th-May-2005, 06:57 PM
Shoes are as personal as your dance style, and as your style evolves you may want to wear a different shoe. You may like to have a choice of shoes for various floors. I like slippy soles so I buy suede ballroom shoes with 1" heel which I then have rubber re-heeled. One friendly top class teacher/dancer I know likes a firm grip on the floor so he wears street trainers.
As heel height I cannot wear total flats but like a heel about 3/4 - 1 inch but have also a pair of 1 1/2 inch cuban heeled soft instep latin shoes. which can be pleasant but they change the feel of the dance.

Really its a choice you have to make heel, sole, build, finish, then when you find your fave style buy two pairs, or in all seriousness if you cannot buy them get your feet measured for a last and have them made.

marty_baby
11th-May-2005, 12:13 PM
hiya Guys,

.....ah... so the definative answer is..... there is no definative answer! :rofl:

I can live with that, as least we know now! :)

So my game plan is now:
1. Go for a pair of shoes I like the look of
2. Make sure they are slippy/grippy enough
3. See how it goes from there!

Last 2 questions:
---------------------
Do I need to beak them in 1st? (Ie the types with stiffer leather uppers..)

Size - is it better to go for slight slightly tigther fitting? (Rather that the slightly looser fitting?)
Contradictionary factors:
a. if breaks in too loose - not good
b. If dance all night - don't want tight shoes on!

Please advise... and I'll leave it there! :)

spindr
11th-May-2005, 01:09 PM
Best advice -- find a proper dance shoe shop -- there's no substitute to trying them on :) If you're going to a shoe "stall" at an event -- try ringing ahead to make sure that they bring shoes in your size?

Ideally, there should be a tryout area with wooden flooring similar to a typical dance floor — obviously, it is important to be able to check shoes on a suitably representative surface. I wasn't terribly impressed at one weekender when the shoe stall was in a marquee on grass -- and there was no wooden flooring about to test the shoes on.

Your feet will swell when you dance — it is probably best to buy dance shoes later in the day (wearing the socks, etc. that you would normally wear dancing) to ensure a comfortable fit.

Obviously, try any new shoes thoroughly before dancing, or at least bring a spare pair — it is difficult to concentrate on subtle leads and follows when your shoes pinch.

I prefer ballroom style shoes (that look like ordinary brogues) with a "suede" sole -- they're pretty thin but then I don't tend to jump in them -- so there's not so much need for shock absorption. My current pairs are by Freed, but I'm fairly sure that I've used Supadance ones in the past without problems. As for heel height -- I've been trying Cuban heels for a while, they tend to shift your weight forwards which can be useful -- but then I don't really need the extra height :)

As for trainers -- I had a pair of old Capezzios that I just wore and wore -- unfortunately few places seem to stock them much now, so I've succumbed to wearing Bloch's -- which have been fine, but then again I've been known to dance in Nike and New Balance as well :)

SpinDr.

MartinHarper
11th-May-2005, 01:39 PM
Do I need to beak them in 1st? (Ie the types with stiffer leather uppers..)

One of my pairs gave me a blister just above my heel the first few times I wore them, but softened up after that.

marty_baby
13th-May-2005, 11:52 AM
Hiya Spindr,

Thanks for the all that advice! Really Appreciated!... eg. "...buy later in day..." I'll do just that! :nice:

And MartinH,

....You had a Blister huh??!?!?.... my heart bleeds.... :whistle: :rofl:
Only kidding buddy!... have a nice weekend mate!

Right I'm off to Torquay now... Ready to buy some shoes! :D

All the best Guys!
Martin

Alfie
13th-May-2005, 11:15 PM
RE- Mens Dance Shoes,
The question of style and comfort:-Most men I've sold shoes to tend to go for comfort first and style second.
A lot of men require understated almost invisible footwear that can be worn with trousers or jeans on any occasion as they only wish to own one or two pairs at a time.

Many of our male customers like dance shoes to look like regular street shoes with no embelishments of any kind.
Generally the more confident and extrovert dancers will purchase Black and Whites, or brightly colourd trainers where as the more conservative man will buy plain black shoes or trainers.

I have road tested many different types of shoes and have found pros and cons with all makes and styles.

Bleyer's are extreemly light and comfortable but some of their styles can seem a bit low at first. Can highly reccomend the Charleston and the Rock and Rollers. Ideal for jive/lindy but not much cop for baalroom or latin.

Freed Oxfords are an excellent shoe for all round dancing in, either leather or suede soles (invisable dance shoes/look like street shoes) They can wear out very quickly if not maintained and cleaned regularly.

Sanscha suede/canvas or canvas shoes are very light and have a soft leather sole which is very forgiving but harder wearing than suede or nubuck. They are cool and allow the feet to breathe whilst dancing.The heel is slightly higher than a regular street/dance shoe so this takes a bit of getting used to.
Reccomend the BR95 or BR93.

Katz Darrens are simmilar in look to the Freed and are great as an all round dance shoe.

Gandallfi are lovely shoes with leather soles and are excellently made. Ideal for all styles of dance and very hard wearing but can be a bit expensive. Up to twice the price of other makes.

Bloch trainers are very comfy but the split sole can take some getting used to, as can the extra hieght of the 538/9s. Can reccomend the 538 or the Stealth range. Spin spot makes spins and turns very easy. Tend to make feet sweat because of the man made fibers.

Sanscha trainers are split soled and can have rubber or canvas bottoms,
they are comfortable and great on fast floors. They are lower in profile than the Blochs and are made of softer materials. Can reccomend the Dynamo range.

I would reccomend to any one who is buying shoes to try on as many types as possible before purchase.

Shoes should be a snug fit but not tight, allowing the shoe to expand with the foot as it gets hot. If you start out with shoes too big, especialy trainers. They can go baggy, rub and fall off the foot.

Appologies for the long post if anyone requires any more info please feel to P.M me

ducasi
16th-May-2005, 12:06 PM
Thanks to everyone – especially Alfie – for all the advice.

I went out last weekend and bought two pairs of shoes. One quite sensible :), the other just a little silly. :na:

The sensible shoes have a polished leather sole and a rubber heel. Maybe this isn't so sensible. The leather is way too slippy to walk in on anything but the roughest surface, and I'm worried that maybe the rubber heel is too sticky in contrast to the rest of the sole. :really: I'm going to have to rough up the polished sole a little before I'm able to wear them properly.

The silly shoes have a relatively flat, textured, soft rubber sole. They are sold with a warning that the sole will wear out fast if worn often. They're not very slippy, they're not great for spinning, and they give zero protection to your toes when trod upon. :eek: They also have a couple of tigers unleashed onto them, and I think they're really cool! (Special prize for anyone who knows why tigers are especially cool at the moment!)

You wanna see some pictures? :nice:

Sensible Shoes (http://ducasi.org/images/slippy.jpg)

Tiger Feet (http://ducasi.org/images/tiger.jpg) (they're neat!)

Sorry for the poor quality of the photos – I had to use my phone, as I've mislaid my digital camera. :blush:

David Bailey
16th-May-2005, 12:17 PM
Thanks to everyone – especially Alfie – for all the advice.

I went out last weekend and bought two pairs of shoes. One quite sensible :), the other just a little silly. :na:
Interesting - where did you get them, and may I ask how much they cost?

ducasi
16th-May-2005, 12:45 PM
Interesting - where did you get them, and may I ask how much they cost? The "sensible shoes" are Patrick Cox, whose shoes can be found in most good shoe shops, though I got these in Sole Trader, which is my favourite shoe shop.

The "tiger feet" are only available from Office, where they're sold under the brand ask the missus, apparently because you don't need to!

I think both shoes may have been discontinued, as they were both discounted and I can't find them on the respective companies' web sites. The sensible shoes cost me about £70, and the tiger feet were £40.

I don't mind if anyone else buys them, just so long as you're never in the same city as me at the same time – I hate it when I see my shoes on somebody-else's feet! (Same goes for any clothing, in fact!)

Lou
16th-May-2005, 01:34 PM
Sensible Shoes (http://ducasi.org/images/slippy.jpg)
Very nice..... :) Although you don't often find men dancing in slip ons. *shrug* I don't know why....

ducasi
16th-May-2005, 01:45 PM
Very nice..... :) Thanks! :nice:

... you don't often find men dancing in slip ons. *shrug* I don't know why.... Nor me. The only lace-ups I wear these days are trainers. Life's too short for shoes which are always too tight or too loose.

marty_baby
25th-May-2005, 11:32 PM
Hiya all,

Thanks for all the replies and advice, well appreciated! Especially Alfie! well done mate! :nice:

Now moving onto buying the shoes....
.... In london this week, I though I'd pop into the Gandolfi shop itself off Baker street Station, to finally get around to buying a nice pair....

Place is closed for the week though! doh! Somebody somewhere is trying to tyell me something I think! :rofl:

Oh well, Maybe in bristol over the bank holiday then!

marty_baby
27th-June-2005, 05:32 PM
Hiya all again! :)

...talking shoes....!

...Here is a story to warm the heart... in this commercialized, impersonal world we now live in. I'm in town again, and tried Gandolfi's for one last time. It was open - yippee!

...It was like a time warp back 20years.... a real "corner shop" feel to it. Not a slick retail store I was expecting at all!

...a quiet day... it was the orignal Mr Gandolfi who looked after me. Two new pairs of shoes... he even showed me the back of the store, and workshop area, the downstairs which is being refurbished... and even scuffed up my leather soles for me... and chucked in a free shoe carry bag....

Nice chap.... nice to meet someone who has been there, bought the "T" shirt, and still as friendly and down to earth as ever. :)

So if u see a guys flying past and ttripping over himself these next few days.... its probably me! :rofl:

All the best
Martin

Chicklet
27th-June-2005, 06:05 PM
you don't often find men dancing in slip ons. *shrug* I don't know why....CJ told me that was because many prefer strap ons??? :confused:
I'm sure Franck is a slip on man. :waycool:
I am reminded of my youth and my father's annual trip to the Bally shop in Manama for 6 pairs in extra soft and this year's manbag.

Mr Cool
27th-June-2005, 06:31 PM
Hiya all again! :)

...talking shoes....!

...Here is a story to warm the heart... in this commercialized, impersonal world we now live in. I'm in town again, and tried Gandolfi's for one last time. It was open - yippee!

...It was like a time warp back 20years.... a real "corner shop" feel to it. Not a slick retail store I was expecting at all!

...a quiet day... it was the orignal Mr Gandolfi who looked after me. Two new pairs of shoes... he even showed me the back of the store, and workshop area, the downstairs which is being refurbished... and even scuffed up my leather soles for me... and chucked in a free shoe carry bag....

Nice chap.... nice to meet someone who has been there, bought the "T" shirt, and still as friendly and down to earth as ever. :)

So if u see a guys flying past and ttripping over himself these next few days.... its probably me! :rofl:

All the best
Martin

Well done there is so many poor quality shoes around I think Ganddolfi are superb shoes made for dancing smooth you made the right decision. :waycool: :waycool: :waycool: :waycool:

NaturalMystic
27th-June-2005, 07:16 PM
Have a look at this website, if you like.
Kingdom of Dance provide them as well.
Very nice and soft leather - top quality.
http://www.werner-kern.com/
:wink:

marty_baby
28th-June-2005, 07:06 PM
Hiya all,

I tried one of the pair of shoes last night.... Pretty good ....once I got use to them.... :whistle: .... Bit strange at 1st though... (I normally wear sneakers and Doc Martins.... and Blocs when Im dancing.)

Mr Gandolfi said to only scuff up the front of the sole, and leave the heel well alone.... Well I almost came a cropper a couple of times! That'll teach me to point my toe up I suppose! :D

Hell, once I was on both heels (dunno how/why) and they started to skid in separate directions! I was going to do sidways splits.... crumbs!

(The other pair? - The super shiny ones - I dunno... may leave for a special occasion! :rofl: )

All the best
Martin

Lou
28th-June-2005, 07:07 PM
That'll teach me to point my toe up I suppose! :D
No... it's the folks at Elmgrove who teach you to do that... :wink: :whistle:

marty_baby
28th-June-2005, 07:40 PM
Ah..... so it is a bristol thing then! :whistle: :D

Heres a can of worms - Lou.... the 1st move.. on the break... should it be left foot back for the bloke, or the right foot??!?!

Its been a while since I've done a Leroc/Ceroc class of any description... I can't actually remember what we do in Bristol!

Martin

Lou
28th-June-2005, 08:05 PM
Ah..... so it is a bristol thing then! It's a pretty accurate way of telling which Bristol class a man goes to (or learnt at)... :wink:

Heres a can of worms - Lou.... the 1st move.. on the break... should it be left foot back for the bloke, or the right foot??!?!The bloke's footwork is irrelevant. :D

However, in Bristol, it's usually taught to mirror the lady's. Count 1 back right. Count 3 back left (outside foot). Count 6 back right. :)

ducasi
1st-August-2005, 02:31 PM
After having lots of problems at the workshop yesterday (http://ducasi.org/blog/2005/07/31/mega-workshop/) with my normal shoes whilst trying to do interesting things with my feet, I've finally thrown my lot in with the dance-shoe nuts and ordered a pair of proper dance shoes. Patent leather, "nubuck finished" soles, the works.

They're not black & white, but at the price I'm paying for them I expect to be a hotshot in them, or I'll want my money back! :wink:

I found them here. (http://www.supadance.com/)

I'll let you all know how they are when I get them. :nice:

clevedonboy
1st-August-2005, 04:50 PM
Ducasi, I wear Supadance shoes & find them very comfortable (infact i have just ordered a second pair) - don't forget to buy the special brush for roughing up the soles - invaluable when on fast floors.

ducasi
1st-August-2005, 05:40 PM
Ducasi, I wear Supadance shoes & find them very comfortable (infact i have just ordered a second pair) - don't forget to buy the special brush for roughing up the soles - invaluable when on fast floors. Thanks for the reassurance. I considered the brush, but thought I'd wait and see once I get the shoes...

What is the brush made of? Is it that special?

clevedonboy
1st-August-2005, 07:19 PM
The brush is like a suede brush but is made up of lots of tiny metal hooks. You have to be more rough than you think you should to get the sole roughened again. If you don't scuff them you'll find yourself slipping too much - they become like polished leather

marty_baby
2nd-August-2005, 03:54 PM
....aahhh.... shoe talk! :)

...yup, I'm using a pair of suede soled dance shoes as well. My 1st pair.

A brush is definatley needed - to clean the crap of the soles at the end of the night!

One thing I've noticed though. The Suede seems to have come off the edges of the soles. Is this normal?

(I haven't really noticed if the soles hae deterioted anymore - but it dosen't look all that that good.... if you are looking into soles that is!)

Cheers
Martin

Baruch
2nd-August-2005, 04:52 PM
One thing I've noticed though. The Suede seems to have come off the edges of the soles. Is this normal?
You need to get to a minister very quickly. They're experts in saving soles, apparently :whistle:

marty_baby
3rd-August-2005, 11:22 AM
...er.... you funny! :rofl:

ducasi
4th-August-2005, 11:42 AM
I'll let you all know how they are when I get them. :nice: My shoes arrived this morning!!!! :clap:

I've not had a proper go with them yet, but I gotta say they look fab. :yum:

Pictures and reports of double spins to follow... :waycool:

Claire S
10th-August-2005, 07:01 PM
My shoes arrived this morning!!!! :clap:

I've not had a proper go with them yet, but I gotta say they look fab. :yum:

Pictures and reports of double spins to follow... :waycool:

They truly are things of beauty! :drool:
Quite distracting when dancing with you though...... mmmmm shiny....

I'm looking forward to the double spins & fancy footwork :D :D :D

Claire

drathzel
10th-August-2005, 07:06 PM
They truly are things of beauty! :drool:
Quite distracting when dancing with you though...... mmmmm shiny....

I'm looking forward to the double spins & fancy footwork :D :D :D

Claire
:yeah: definitely

ducasi
10th-August-2005, 07:10 PM
:blush:

Thanks. :nice:

Photos to follow after the Glasgow party this weekend – don't want to spoil the surprise for everyone!

clevedonboy
10th-August-2005, 11:10 PM
I'm going to allow my new Rumpf shoes off the leash this weekend - I never thought I'd have a pair of shoes like them but they are fabulous. Pics might well follow the event on Saturday

Lou
11th-August-2005, 07:24 AM
I'm going to allow my new Rumpf shoes off the leash this weekend - I never thought I'd have a pair of shoes like them but they are fabulous. Pics might well follow the event on SaturdayOooh! Pics of Mr & Mrs Rumpf-Wiggle in their matching shoes, please! :clap:

clevedonboy
11th-August-2005, 08:44 AM
Oooh! Pics of Mr & Mrs Rumpf-Wiggle in their matching shoes, please! :clap:

I'm afraid they don't match Mrs Wiggle's Flamencos (they're not just black) But I'm sure we'll look good together

filthycute
11th-August-2005, 11:16 AM
:blush:

Thanks. :nice:

Photos to follow after the Glasgow party this weekend – don't want to spoil the surprise for everyone!

I've seen them! i've seen them!!!! :clap:
Very nice they are as well ;)

Although i'd be careful on Saturday. If my memory serves me well, Henry Wood hall has a very fast floor. Especially down towards the bar area. Might have changed though. But hey, no excuse for not double spinning now :whistle:

Melanie x

ducasi
14th-August-2005, 04:38 PM
Photos to follow after the Glasgow party this weekend – don't want to spoil the surprise for everyone! Hi folks...

Just remembered I had promised a photo...

Rather than take a picture of my shoes, here's a picture of the shoe from the web site I got them from... (This is a right shoe, but I assure you there is a left shoe to go with it!)

Tiggerbabe
14th-August-2005, 04:46 PM
Oooooh! Lurverly :D

clevedonboy
14th-August-2005, 10:56 PM
I tried a pair like that recently - I'm afraid that I passed on them as they were screaming Latin Ballroom at me, but if you like them, that's all that matters really.

Now that I've revealed them to anyone at the VJ do in Bristol, I'll let you in on my Rumpfs bought for the occasion

http://www.danceworld.demon.co.uk/images/Black_and_white_shoes.jpg

They're great shoes but don't ascribe any hotshot conotations to them

Donna
15th-August-2005, 12:18 PM
Hiya All,

A request for some advice about buying Dance shoes if I may :nice:

Buying Dance Shoes:
* I'm looking to buy a proper pair at last. (At that Torquay weekender - Shoe sellers will be there etc.)
* I'll probably go for a "standard" pair as a starting point, to go with my trusty Blocks

But what is "standard"?!?!

Right now, I'm after some really basic info. Hope you can throw your thoughts on the below:

What should I be looking out for, when accessing a pile of shoes for sale???

Type of sole:
Suede?
Leather?
Trainer type soles???
* Pro and Cons
* is always going to be suede, with dance shoes?

Any reputable Makes I should look out for?

heel height... Is it an issue with Blokes?? (oh man.... question has got to be asked tho!....)

Shock Absorption???
* I use to do alot of running. Toghether with my stomping kinda style... the knees use to take a real hammering....
* The Blocks are Fab - can dance all day.... no jarring or anything....

* Is it simply a case of "dance Shoes - more feel - but less shock Absorption. if you are worried about it - adjust your style, when wearing shoes"

Thinner the Sole the better? (More feel or whatever??)
* .... back to that Shock absoption debate!

Anything else I should look for in dance shoes?

I'd really appreciate your thoughts on the above!
Yours, Mr Pedantic....
Martin

:nice: :nice: :nice:

Best advice I've been given by my ballroom teacher is to make sure you take at least two or three pairs of shoes with you to every venue - or espcially if you're competing. Suede ones can be the best to use especially after a good scrub with a brush. Also, if the floor is too slippy ( which is something I tend to have a problem with and makes me feel very nervous) have a very fine layer of rubber put on underneath. Better still, with any type of shoe you can dab some parafin under them as this will definately give you a bit of grip.

Dazzle
15th-August-2005, 01:07 PM
I tried a pair like that recently - I'm afraid that I passed on them as they were screaming Latin Ballroom at me, but if you like them, that's all that matters really.

Now that I've revealed them to anyone at the VJ do in Bristol, I'll let you in on my Rumpfs bought for the occasion

http://www.danceworld.demon.co.uk/images/Black_and_white_shoes.jpg

They're great shoes but don't ascribe any hotshot conotations to them

I would interested in how you get on with your B&W Rumpf's. The first time I wore mine, the untreated eyelets began to rust and this then stained the white leather orange! (Not sure if it was a Ceroc(tm) master plan for world domination again or not?) Had to send them back and it took 14 weeks to get them back! Had a refund and got some Gandolfi's but preferred the Rumpfs apart from the obvious problem.

The shop gave me the Rumpf's back for free as they could do nothing with them. The eyelets had been replaced and new tongues put in (incorrectly :angry: ). So I coated the eyelets in clear nail varnish (no comments please, a trick I learned as a clarinetist/saxophonist over a number of years with tuning screws) and heavily waxed the tongues. Still a slight discolorarion but better. However, they are a great pair of shoes :clap: , just a bad design with the eyelets. :mad:

Will look out for your coments Clevedonboy.

clevedonboy
15th-August-2005, 01:48 PM
Thanks for the info Dazzle, I'll keep an eye on them

Donna
15th-August-2005, 02:08 PM
(Not sure if it was a Ceroc(tm) master plan for world domination again or not?)

:D

So I coated the eyelets in clear nail varnish

Tut Tut tut. :really: I seem to remember you telling me about that. So was that Sheena's nailvarnish you were using or your own?? :rofl: (After all, you did dress up as a woman at some Jive do!! Damn, if I had some pics I'd have put them on the forum by now!! :D Fair play you looked great.....made me jealous!!! :angry: )

Lou
26th-September-2005, 08:54 PM
I hope we can all get off that web site... :rofl: and get back to the original question posed in this thread! :) Marty! I saw this movie write-up (http://www.showcasecinemas.co.uk/films/kinkyboots.fhtml) and I thought of you.... :whistle:

marty_baby
27th-September-2005, 11:53 AM
Marty! I saw this movie write-up (http://www.showcasecinemas.co.uk/films/kinkyboots.fhtml) and I thought of you.... :whistle:

Nooooo.... ! :na:

Are you going to Yate tonight Lou? Haven't seen you for like ages now! :tears:

martin
:flower: