PDA

View Full Version : General Election on the Forum

Will
4th-May-2005, 05:06 PM
People,

Just thought I'd post a poll for people to vote on anonymously to see what the demographic is like on the forum. It will obviously be very unscientific so just think of it as a bit of fun (though answer truthfully please).

Above all, please don't let this degenerate into a political slanging match by posting why you are voting a certain way or why you won't vote for someone etc....

Just a straw poll. :nice:

P.S. Apologies if I've left off the party you want to vote for.

Lynn
4th-May-2005, 05:32 PM
P.S. Apologies if I've left off the party you want to vote for. Or in my case any parties I can vote for - none of the above. But I know we do things differently here

We have a local council elections here too so we have two seperate elections at the same time. One by one X for Westminster and the other by PR so a 1,2,3 etc. Bound to be confusing for some people!

CJ
4th-May-2005, 05:55 PM
FYI: Gordon Brown is my MP, so the point of my vote is a bit moot, really. Well, mute, too now you think of it... :tears:

Magic Hans
4th-May-2005, 05:57 PM
Being a non-conformist anarchical green by nature (or is that nurture :confused: ) I'll be voting green in the local council elections (if I can), and Lib Dem in the General one .... where they probably don't have much chance, and may let the blues in!!

jivecat
4th-May-2005, 06:22 PM
I need an option for

"Still not sure."

I know who I'm NOT going to vote for. That still hasn't narrowed the field down quite enough.
I'd like to vote Green but it would be a wasted vote. The Leicester constituency is now very marginal since the by-election so it's a big opportunity to vote tactically.
I ought to vote Lib Dem as they stand a good chance of returning a candidate; if things swung their way sufficiently (almost unthinkable) they would introduce PR, so a Green vote would, in the future, result in some representation. However, I don't think The Lib Dems stand a chance of forming a government, so it would be better to vote Labour as usual. However, should I still be cross with Tony Blair for lying about Iraq, etc etc etc.........?

Considering that the country has been through some tough times in the last 5 years don't you think it's surprising that people aren't more passionate about the election? Or is that just an inevitable result of increasing voter sophistication?

Piglet
4th-May-2005, 06:26 PM
Not sure yet - need to do a bit more research. eg. their pamphlets ain't telling me what I want to be told.

David Bailey
4th-May-2005, 08:18 PM
Not sure yet - need to do a bit more research. eg. their pamphlets ain't telling me what I want to be told.
Now that's what I call cutting it fine.

:worthy:

Nick
4th-May-2005, 10:18 PM
As a major political junkie and a party activist with an MP who I trust and respect, it was nice to see your thread. I really appreciated it.

I love my Ceroc and I like to have fun, but I am serious too, and am comfortable with that.

It's nice when both sides meet, especially as we Ceroccers seem to get to know each other at a glacial speed.

Respect.

Nick

Heather
4th-May-2005, 10:24 PM
[QUOTE=Will

P.S. Apologies if I've left off the party you want to vote for.[/QUOTE]

WILL -- How could you possibly leave the Scottish National Party off the list?
This is the CerocSCOTLAND Forum after all !!!!!!! :tears: :tears:

:hug: :kiss:
Heather
xx
PS That does not necessarily mean that I intend to vote for them but it's possiblethat some of us SCOTTISH people who still read the Forum, might.

Dreadful Scathe
4th-May-2005, 10:41 PM
hmm Heather should have gone to SpecSavers :)

Lynn
4th-May-2005, 11:13 PM
Being a non-conformist anarchical green by nature (or is that nurture :confused: ) I'll be voting green in the local council elections (if I can), and Lib Dem in the General one .... where they probably don't have much chance, and may let the blues in!! So you have local council elections tomorrow as well? I thought it just might be here that was doing that - we do tend to do things a bit differently here at times when it comes to politics! :rolleyes:

Are local council elections PR?

Clive Long
4th-May-2005, 11:38 PM
A yong lady at work asked me something about when the polls closed today.

I said the vote will be tomorrow. She looked confused, shook her head and looked back at her screen.

I now can't quite remember what she said but it was something along the line of "well if I turn up and give them my address will they let me vote?" (obviously some doubt there)

I explained about the electoral register.

More confused looks, furrowed brows and return to tapping at the keyboard.

Her final shot was something like "it seems a bit silly to me"

What do they teach 'em at school nowadays, eh? Eh? What? Speak up laddie.

Graham
5th-May-2005, 08:35 AM
So you have local council elections tomorrow as well? I thought it just might be here that was doing that - we do tend to do things a bit differently here at times when it comes to politics! :rolleyes:

Are local council elections PR?
There are local elections in parts of England. There are also 4 elections for directly-elected mayors. Voting in local elections in England is on a first-past-the-post system the same as the general election.

David Bailey
5th-May-2005, 09:17 AM
There are local elections in parts of England. There are also 4 elections for directly-elected mayors. Voting in local elections in England is on a first-past-the-post system the same as the general election.
There are also elections for unitary authorities or something, whatever they are...

Hmmm, from the forums poll, the LibDems are heading for a landslide :)

stewart38
5th-May-2005, 09:43 AM
Well im so undecided i still havent made my mind up

Im in a marginal seat so had loads of leaflets

The fact one party assume from one leaflet that everyone was interested in kids and schools may swing it the other way for me

Stuart M
5th-May-2005, 09:48 AM
Personally I'll be voting for the candidate most likely to get rid of First Past the Post. It 's a rotten voting system with no redeeming features at all - and it encourages apathy, fraud, gerrymandering, elective dictatorship, and incompetent politicians in safe seats. Oh, and it's inaccurate as well...

It's incredible that in the 21st century we still have a system where, effectively, only a few hundred votes actually count.

Graham
5th-May-2005, 10:00 AM
It's actually a lot more votes than that - if you consider that the result of the election will be determined by approximately 100 constituencies, and that the swing vote in each constituency is between a few hundred and several thousand, the election is actually determined by up to half a million people, although this is still a small number in relation to the total electorate. I've voted in five constituencies now (in different elections, before I get suspected of ballot-rigging), all of which have been completely safe (four Labour and one Conservative), so I've yet to experience an election where my vote actually made the slightest bit of difference, except in the Scottish Parliamentary elections, which are of course PR.

clevedonboy
5th-May-2005, 12:49 PM
I'm sticking with Labour - not because of Teflon but because the Labour candiate seems to be the best guy around here. Our MP is Liam Fox who managed to contribute to just two debates in parliament last year, apparently there were a handful who managed to contribute less than that.

Dreadful Scathe
5th-May-2005, 12:59 PM
but.... where are you from clevedonboy ? :confused:

stewart38
5th-May-2005, 01:00 PM
17 on here have voted for Lim Dem, isnt that a wasted vote :whistle:

clevedonboy
5th-May-2005, 01:07 PM
but.... where are you from clevedonboy ? :confused:

Clevedon :whistle: Woodspring Constituency (nr Bristol)

bobgadjet
5th-May-2005, 01:22 PM
17 on here have voted for Lim Dem, isnt that a wasted vote :whistle:
What will be in for if the COUNTRY voted the way of OUR swingometer.

I think I might just wait up to see a smile being wiped off Blairs face.

HHMmmm, maybe it IS about time we had a drastic change.

When was the last Liberal government ?

Graham
5th-May-2005, 01:37 PM
It would produce a house like this:

LIB DEM: 590
LAB: 17
CON: 11
OTHERS: 28

This is a LibDem majority of 534, and whilst this would no doubt guarantee a permanent change to our system of voting, is exceedingly unlikely precisely because of our system of voting. The last Liberal government (under Asquith) ended on 25th May 1915, although Lloyd-George, who was a Liberal, was PM in a coalition government from 1916-1922.

Simon r
5th-May-2005, 01:51 PM

This is a LibDem majority of 534, and whilst this would no doubt guarantee a permanent change to our system of voting, is exceedingly unlikely precisely because of our system of voting. The last Liberal government (under Asquith) ended on 25th May 1915, although Lloyd-George, who was a Liberal, was PM in a coalition government from 1916-1922.

Hmmm bookies are giving odds of 100/1 on Labour might be worth puttin a bet on libs if this is any thing to go by

MartinHarper
5th-May-2005, 02:18 PM
Our MP is Liam Fox who managed to contribute to just two debates in parliament last year, apparently there were a handful who managed to contribute less than that.

I recommend They Work For You (http://www.theyworkforyou.com/) to folks who want to know if their local MP is on a par with Liam Fox. Mine spoke in a massive 15 debates. You can also check whether your MP is a warmonger.

Robin
5th-May-2005, 02:27 PM
What happens in a seat where there should be a chnage but the 3rd party is so far off the mark with number of voters that your vote would be a waste ... do you tactically vote simply to remove the current MP or do you remain true to your ideals and vote for your preferred candidate?

btw this doesn't maintain a view I'm just topically curious!

Stuart M
5th-May-2005, 02:42 PM

Not that it would matter to Scottish voters - extrapolating the Forum vote as it currently stands to a UK level would mean that about 100% of scottish voters just voted SNP...

Lou
5th-May-2005, 02:59 PM
I recommend They Work For You (http://www.theyworkforyou.com/) .
Top link. Mine said:
* Spoke in 40 debates in the last year — 103rd out of 659 MPs.
* Asked 293 written questions in the last year — 32nd out of 659 MPs.
* Replied within 14 days to 100% of messages sent via FaxYourMP.com during 2004 — 1st out of 590 MPs. (Sample size: 23 faxes. Important Caveat.)
* Has attended 72% of votes in parliament — 260th out of 658 MPs. (From Public Whip)

I'm impressed. I'd better go vote for him.

Stuart M
5th-May-2005, 03:19 PM
I recommend They Work For You (http://www.theyworkforyou.com/) to folks who want to know if their local MP is on a par with Liam Fox. Mine spoke in a massive 15 debates. You can also check whether your MP is a warmonger.
Cracking site - wish I'd known about it before. Interestingly my local MP managed to come in 16th place in the whole UK in 2001-02, in terms of claiming expenses. He's managed to massage himself down to about 240th now.

Will
5th-May-2005, 04:05 PM
Some interesting resources and information on this thread. But sadly also a few people making party political points.

CJ
5th-May-2005, 04:29 PM
But sadly also a few people making party political points.

:confused: where?!?

Dreadful Scathe
5th-May-2005, 04:48 PM
Clevedon

no, really ? :)

Interestingly my local MP managed to come in 16th place in the whole UK in 2001-02, in terms of claiming expenses. He's managed to massage himself down to about 240th now.

Bah. Your MP is rubbish. MY MP was 1st in 2002/2003 at claiming expenses and although hes dropped to 5th for last year, thats still almost in the medals. He's clearly doing impotant things. I may have spelt that wrong.

Eric Joyce - I salute you.

but not with my whole hand.

Dreadful Scathe
5th-May-2005, 04:49 PM
:confused: where?!?

I assume he means Stewart38's "wasted vote" comment :)

Reklaw
5th-May-2005, 05:37 PM
What I can't show in this poll is if I intend to not vote (or spoil the ballot paper) as definite action as opposed to not voting through laziness.

Heather
5th-May-2005, 06:39 PM
no, really ? :)

Eric Joyce - I salute you.

but not with my whole hand.

That wouldn't be a two fingered salute, would it?? :rofl: :rofl:

:hug: :kiss:

Heather,
XX

Heather
5th-May-2005, 06:40 PM
hmm Heather should have gone to SpecSavers :)

Oops !!! Sorry !!!! :blush:

:hug:
Heather,
xx

Stubob
5th-May-2005, 11:59 PM
Taking a break from the election and posted my vote here and at my local polling station. I have reluctantly voted for a party other than Labour this time around. I don't like my local MP (Eric Joyce). His voting record makes him IMO 'lobby fodder'. I did not like the way he voted on Foundation Hospitals for England and Wales and his pro-war stance. I wonder if Iraq is safer now that the US and Saudi are exploiting their oil!

Incidentally, I voted SNP, as I did for my second vote at the Scottish Elections last time around.

Rant over, back to the telly!

On a separate issue, c'mon Claire and James!

Stubob

Lynn
6th-May-2005, 12:09 AM
I recommend They Work For You (http://www.theyworkforyou.com/) to folks who want to know if their local MP is on a par with Liam Fox. Mine spoke in a massive 15 debates. You can also check whether your MP is a warmonger. Good Harperlink!
Mine only spoke in 14 debates. And changed party mid term :whistle: But I think he's likely to get back in. I noticed all the election posters for the candidate from the party he changed from were always above his poster on the lamp posts - think they were trying to make a point! :rofl:

Robin
6th-May-2005, 10:31 AM
People,

Just thought I'd post a poll for people to vote on anonymously to see what the demographic is like on the forum. It will obviously be very unscientific so just think of it as a bit of fun (though answer truthfully please).

Above all, please don't let this degenerate into a political slanging match by posting why you are voting a certain way or why you won't vote for someone etc....

Just a straw poll. :nice:

P.S. Apologies if I've left off the party you want to vote for.

So , as the Election is now a done thing, does that mean that extrapolating the posts in the last 24 hours that for the most the forum is comprised of a majority of python loving, mornington crescent playing liberal democrats ?

Robin
6th-May-2005, 11:05 AM
sorry - pc posted twice

CJ
6th-May-2005, 11:32 AM
So , as the Election is now a done thing, does that mean that extrapolating the posts in the last 24 hours that for the most the forum is comprised of a majority of python loving, mornington crescent playing liberal democrats ?

ESG??

Graham??

Any stats? Swingometer?

El Salsero Gringo
6th-May-2005, 01:23 PM
So , as the Election is now a done thing, does that mean that extrapolating the posts in the last 24 hours that for the most the forum is comprised of a majority of python loving, mornington crescent playing liberal democrats ?ESG??
I can only say that this is so obvious there's no need for any research to prove what anyone who's been a member of the forum for more than two seconds already knows. In fact, any research would be counterproductive, foster elitism, cause more smoking, encourage grease-balls to touch up women on the dance floor, generate more arm-yanking among the masses and increase overcrowding at venues.

(When do you want to start?)

David Bailey
6th-May-2005, 02:02 PM
... any research would be counterproductive, foster elitism, cause more smoking, encourage grease-balls to touch up women on the dance floor, generate more arm-yanking among the masses and increase overcrowding at venues.

But surely there are some bad points as well?

And isn't "grease-balls" non-hyphenated?

There, that's my daily nit...

CJ
6th-May-2005, 02:05 PM
And isn't "grease-balls" non-hyphenated?
There, that's my daily nit...

Would you prefer to seperate the balls from the grease???

David Bailey
6th-May-2005, 03:23 PM
Would you prefer to seperate the balls from the grease???
I think I'd prefer to separate the sleaze from the bags.

Lynn
6th-May-2005, 09:55 PM
Watched all the NI results on the teatime news. The biggest news here was probably that the leader of one the main parties (Ulster Unionist) lost his seat (after 14 years I think) by a fairly substantial amount (to the DUP - who also picked up several other UUP seats.) Not too much change amongst the other parties.

Magic Hans
13th-May-2005, 11:31 AM
Being a non-conformist anarchical green by nature (or is that nurture :confused: ) I'll be voting green in the local council elections (if I can), and Lib Dem in the General one .... where they probably don't have much chance, and may let the blues in!!

:tears: :tears: :tears:

I'm mortally apologetic if I've offended everyone by giving reasons for who I voted for!! ... I thought I was simply giving a brief (if slightly exaggerated) description of who I was! :eek:

Silly me, I thought that this was a little bit of fun! :tears: :tears: :tears: :what: I must remember not to make the same mistake again!! :D

PS. Should responding to one's own post be a crime, punishable by a bucketful of neg rep?? .... I think I might write to my own MP to propose a suitable Bill of Parliament [or Forumment]

[Sarcy mode off] .... sorry if the above leaves anyone in a mild state of confusement.

Ian

Lou
13th-May-2005, 11:51 AM
[Sarcy mode off] .... sorry if the above leaves anyone in a mild state of confusement.
That'll be me, then. :confused:

Robin
13th-May-2005, 12:25 PM
In a mad blaze of reality I've just realised that in fact the poll evenly represents the real world ... ie the party in power was nnot the one which most of the population voted for... strange that in'it?

Wonder if we voted for a MJ "leader" who would win ? ... come to think of it who would we put up for that ?