PDA

View Full Version : Comps 2003 Charity or not?

Scot
28th-November-2002, 11:15 AM
Last year we ran the Competition in aid of the Red Cross for which we generated £ 6000. This was the money we earned on the day plus some significant donations from the guys selling the shoes, Boogiesteps, and also from some of the competitors that donated their prizes back. Great Guys

Because it was a charity event we kept the prizes fairly modest although we had some late donations from Boogiesteps and Chance 2 Dance (Nb For winners reading this, your free tickets to the Blackpool event will be in the post shortly) Anyway in short people competing were doing it for the glory rather than the prizes.

What I would like to get is some feedback on:

1. Do you think we should run the next one as a Charity Event?

2. Should we have larger prizes? (kinda conflicts with the above)

3. Lastly if yes to 1) I am looking for suggestions for worthy Charities to approach.

What I would like to do is, once we have some suggestions, put it to a vote, and based on the result of that approach the Charity with the highest vote.

I would not want to influence your answer to 1) but I canÕt help think from my message that it is fairly obvious what my view is.

As always your feedback would be appreciated.

John S
28th-November-2002, 11:57 AM
It was a great idea to run it as a charity event this year, and full marks to everyone who gave up their time free of charge to organise, judge, DJ etc.

Going back to something I put on another thread, I think it's important to differentiate the Scottish "Competition" from the others on the circuit, and this is certainly one way of doing so. I think it helps the "feelgood factor" to know that our money is going to a charity rather than to a commercial organisation. And if the prizes are a bit smaller, so what - it won't affect most of those who attend or compete anyway!

There are so many worthy causes that I guess all I can do is nominate my own favourite charities and hope that lots of others do likewise, so that there's a good selection to choose from. So here's my top three:

- Scottish Wildlife Trust
- Dian Fossey Gorilla Fund
- Alzheimer's Scotland: Action on Dementia

I think there's a case for any proceeds going to a Scottish-based charity, but that'll be up to the voters, I guess.

Also, it would probably help Scot if the charity chosen is able to help out on the day and with the organisation etc.

TheTramp
28th-November-2002, 11:58 AM
I think that you should continue to run it as a charity event.

As you say, most people do it for the glory, rather than the prizes.

As to which charity, why not look for something local, rather than a big national charity. I'm sure that there must be charities in Scotland that would be very grateful for a £6000 donation.

Steve

Edited to say that great minds (with regard to the local charity) think alike eh John!

Gus
28th-November-2002, 12:03 PM
I think that the gesture of making last year a charity event was welcomed by many people and should be lauded for that. However, speaking as an ex-Franchisee ... I don't think that should become the norm. I think most people would accept that Ceroc is a business and needs to make a schekel or two along the way.

At the same time ... I don't think that cash prizes are a major incentive ... the majority of people entering have no expectation of ending up on the winners podium. I'm entering the UK Open (Chance 2 Dance) again and have no idea what the cash prize is ... I'm doing it mostly for fun but also with the vaugue hope that I'll be walking off with a little trophy, and that trophy will mean infinitely more than any amount of cash.

So ... suggestion, keep the prize money the same .... 'encourage' sponsorship of the event and lower the evening entry prices to make the whole event accessible to as many as people as possible. At the end of the day I think the event will not be rated by the amount of dosh that is given to the winners but by how many people are there and what a great time they had.

PS Remember the comments after the 2002 event .. big concern over it becoming too competitive and losing its great friendly party feel.... best way to gurauntee that this happens would be to offer big cash prizes ... personal view only.

Dave Hancock
28th-November-2002, 12:20 PM
I believe it should continue to be run as a charity event and while I take Gus's point about Ceroc being a business, the business will make money from the party the evening before and were it run for larger cash prizes than some would take it more serious, with more effort to keep fresh for the main dances and thus a lot of people who got to freestyle with some of the really good dancers throughout the day and evening would lose this opportunity as people tried to "keep themselves fresh"

I agree with Gus that perhaps some local companies could be approached to sponsor the event and possibly more could be done to advertise, (i.e. invite the Daily Record, Scotsman, Glasgow Herald to turn up, etc) as even if only one paper turned up the coverage would be tremendous, which would then lead to increased revenue as new dancers would find out and then come along.

Re. charities I think any charity for Scottish children would get my vote.

Rachel
28th-November-2002, 12:31 PM
Originally posted by John S
There are so many worthy causes that I guess all I can do is nominate my own favourite charities and hope that lots of others do likewise, so that there's a good selection to choose from.

Can I put in my plea as well? In general, I think that running dances for charity is a wonderful idea and I'm sure I'm not alone in preferring minimal prizes if that meant a larger donation to charity.

My nomination? Well, I work for RNIB (Royal National Institute of the Blind) and we are certainly facing some serious financial difficulties this year (stock market and legacy problems - not enough people dying the last few years!!) which could mean a big reduction in our services. So could I plug RNIB, please?

(And, thinking about it, it would then make it very funny if there was a blindfolded dancing competition. That wouldn't be tasteless, would it? I can think of many blind people I work with who would laugh at that! And we often run blindfolded training sessions here to increase sighted people's awareness...)

My other favourite charity is MENCAP, as my brother is mentally handicapped, but I believe there are already regular dances run in aid of this charity.

However, having said all this, I actually agree that it might be better to donate to a smaller local charity ( -ies). I'm sure there are a huge number which would be worthy and extremely appreciative. But I'll I'm sure the others here can come up with suitable recipients.

(Is that the right spelling of 'recipients'? Heather???)
Rachel

TheTramp
28th-November-2002, 12:38 PM
not enough people dying the last few years!!
I can see how that would be a problem. If you've got a bit of a shortlist, we could send a few boys around. Just trying to help here, you understand....

Oh, and in my best Heather voice (just to save her the trouble), yes, that's the correct spelling!

Steve

PS. I love the blindfold idea. I think that it should be a blindfold 'lucky dip' though. And are both people blindfolded, or just one?? Could be a few problems after a spin or two if both people are blindfolded. Do you lose points if you can't find your partner again???

Rachel
28th-November-2002, 12:59 PM
I can see how that would be a problem. If you've got a bit of a shortlist, we could send a few boys around. Just trying to help here, you understand.... Ok, but you have to make sure they've made their wills first, alright?

PS. I love the blindfold idea. I think that it should be a blindfold 'lucky dip' though. And are both people blindfolded, or just one?? Could be a few problems after a spin or two if both people are blindfolded. Do you lose points if you can't find your partner again??? Both partners? That would be so hysterically funny, no-one would be able to stand upright, let alone dance! But, as someone once said here (or was it me?), they do have a 'girls blindfolded' category in the Aussie championships, don't they?

Scot
28th-November-2002, 01:21 PM
Originally posted by Gus
I think that the gesture of making last year a charity event was welcomed by many people and should be lauded for that. However, speaking as an ex-Franchisee ... I don't think that should become the norm. I think most people would accept that Ceroc is a business and needs to make a schekel or two along the way.

Thanks Gus make your Cheque out to Scot Kennedy.

Seriously though my view is that we should run at least one Charity event per year and I think this one is as good a one as any.

Cheers for the thought though

Gadget
28th-November-2002, 01:24 PM
Originally posted by Rachel
Both partners? That would be so hysterically funny, no-one would be able to stand upright, let alone dance!
Actually, I think that would be an excelent idea - then again I've always enjoyed fumbling around in the dark with a lady.:really:

Perhaps another workshop idea?

Tweetie
28th-November-2002, 02:29 PM
I think running the comp. as a charity event again is a great idea. People like to feel they are helping others while enjoying themselves:wink:
Any childrens charity would get my vote but my favourite would be....
Children's Hospice Association Scotland

"Rachel House at Kinross is ScotlandÕs only childrenÕs hospice. Run by the ChildrenÕs Hospice Association Scotland, for children with life-limiting conditions and their families throughout Scotland, Rachel House provides:

-respite and emergency care for children likely to die before adulthood
-short-term breaks for the children and their families
-terminal care, bereavement counselling and support
friendship, information, advice and practical support for families "

Lifted this direct from their website

just a suggestion but check it out....

http://www.chas.org.uk/

On the topic of cash prizes.... Definately think they should not be any bigger.... most of us enter for the fun and enjoyment . In fact if it was run as a charity event I would suggest no cash at all just a small cup for 1st. place and perhaps some bottles of fizzy stuff for runners up (which I'm sure some nice friendly shops would donate if approached in the name of whichever charity is chosen)
:D :D :D

Fi

TheTramp
28th-November-2002, 02:36 PM
just a small cup for 1st. place and perhaps some bottles of fizzy stuff for runners up
I think you'd probably find that most people would still prefer some sort of trophy that they can keep, above a bottle of fizzy stuff. It's nice to put it on the mantlepiece, so you can look at it when you get old, tell the grandkids, that sort of thing.

One of the more annoying things about the ceroc champs (so I was told by the couples coming 2nd and 3rd) in the lucky dip, is that you don't even get a trophy (except for 1st place), just a paper certificate, which is probably torn and creased by the time you get home. Given that there are probably 200 people entered, paying £5 a time for the priviledge, you'd think that they'd be able to afford a couple of little plaques or something....

Steve

DavidB
28th-November-2002, 02:39 PM
I think it should continue to be run as a charity event, if the organisers are happy to donate their time (as they seem to be)

You could always offer a prize of a donation to a charity of the winners choice?

David

Dreadful Scathe
28th-November-2002, 02:44 PM
Originally posted by DavidB
I think it should continue to be run as a charity event, if the organisers are happy to donate their time (as they seem to be)

They would also get plenty volunteers from the rest of us if they needed it.

Gus
28th-November-2002, 02:52 PM
Originally posted by TheTramp

I think you'd probably find that most people would still prefer some sort of trophy that they can keep, above a bottle of fizzy stuff.
Steve

As much as it pains me ... I must agree with young Trampy :wink:

The only thing I would say is that a small cash prize ..say #100 would at least tempt some of the better London dancers to compete ... as it may offset their greater expenses ... then again you have to make a decision as to whther you want the competition to feature the best dancers or to be more fun.

To be honest ... I'd prefer to see the REALLY serious dancers stay away so that it just stay's a fun event. There are already two main SERIOUS competitions ... UK Open and Ceroc ... do we want a third? Comments?

TheTramp
28th-November-2002, 02:56 PM
As much as it pains me ... I must agree with young Trampy

Rachel
28th-November-2002, 04:35 PM
I think you'd probably find that most people would still prefer some sort of trophy that they can keep, above a bottle of fizzy stuff. It's nice to put it on the mantlepiece, so you can look at it when you get old, tell the grandkids, that sort of thing. Sorry, I'd go for a bottle of wine/fizzy stuff any time. Winners' trophies are generally (not just for Ceroc, but for most amateur events) tacky and useless - you just don't know what to do with them, but don't feel as if you can throw them away, so they end up buried in the back of drawers ...

But maybe I'm not 'most' people? (And I'm certainly not planning on having grandchildren!!) (Oh, and maybe, just maybe, if I ever won one of those trophies for dancing, I'd feel differently - ? Come to think of it, if I ever won a Ceroc/jive competition, I'd be so amazed and proud, I'd wear the trophy as a pendant round my neck so everyone could see!)

Originally posted by DavidB
You could always offer a prize of a donation to a charity of the winners choice? Excellent idea!
Rachel

Graham
28th-November-2002, 05:00 PM
Winners' trophies are generally (not just for Ceroc, but for most amateur events) tacky and useless - you just don't know what to do with them, but don't feel as if you can throw them away, so they end up buried in the back of drawers ...

I'm with Rachel on this.

(And I'm certainly not planning on having grandchildren!!)I don't think anyone plans it, do they? I mean, wouldn't it be unwarranted interference in their children's affairs? :wink:

Rachel
28th-November-2002, 05:02 PM
Originally posted by Graham
I don't think anyone plans it, do they? I mean, wouldn't it be unwarranted interference in their children's affairs? :wink: I'm hoping to get away with the 'no grandchildren' thing by not having children in the first place. D'you think it might work?
R.

Graham
28th-November-2002, 05:13 PM
I'm hoping to get away with the 'no grandchildren' thing by not having children in the first place. D'you think it might work?
R. Seems safe enough. Can't be too careful, though. :grin:

Bill
28th-November-2002, 05:54 PM
Sorry, I'd go for a bottle of wine/fizzy stuff any time. Winners' trophies are generally (not just for Ceroc, but for most amateur events) tacky and useless - you just don't know what to do with them, but don't feel as if you can throw them away, so they end up buried in the back of drawers ...

Rachel Welllll...................:sorry ........have to disagree. The first trophy I ever won was last year at Blackpool when I was part of the double trouble team that came second. No amount of money could have replaced that for me ( well maybe a huge amount :D :rolleyes: ). That 'medal' is in my front room - maybe sad but I know exactly where it is.

The other two certificates are on my wall.........yes I know it's very sad but when you've never won anything before a piece of paper or a medal is wonderful!!:)

I think the format should stay much the same ( already made views known on alternative venues though) but it should be a charity event and perhaps a cash prize for the winners. £100 is pretty generous.

Scot
28th-November-2002, 06:16 PM
Originally posted by Bill
but it should be a charity event and perhaps a cash prize for the winners. £100 is pretty generous.

Obviously too generous for you, you gave it back

Gus
28th-November-2002, 06:26 PM
Originally posted by Scot
Obviously too generous for you, you gave it back I didn't know that .... WELL DONE!!!:grin::grin::grin:

Thats another angle ... increase the prize but let the winners know that the tradition is for the winners to hand the cheque back :waycool:

Heather
28th-November-2002, 07:53 PM
:D I agree with Fi, Rachel House , the children's hospice in Kinross is a very worthwhile charity, and as they rely on charity donations, would be most grateful.
:cheers:
Heather,
:kiss: :kiss:

Fran
29th-November-2002, 01:06 AM
having just had the privilage of becoming involved with Rachel house in a small way, I have to say that Fi and Heather's suggestion is wonderful. It is simply one of, if not the most amazing places I have ever worked in or visited. This children's hospice is unique in scotland. The love/care and support which fills the home and which you feel when you enter can never be explained unless you have been there.Strangely, although the very nature of the home deals with the saddness of children who are terminally ill, it is not the sad place people may think or fear, but it is a place which as Heather said relies on charitable funding to survive in order to provide the service it does.
Speaking as a mother and just as someone who cares about its future I would be very proud to think that all the joy we all gain form our dancing could help the children and their famlies who are in unbearable circumstances.

I did not mean to go on and I am sorry for that, but although I live, work close to and have supported Rachel House in the past I never understood the full implications of the service it provides until I went there to do some work and I think many people may experience that too.I just feel it would be great to be able to help in any way we can big or small.

fran

P.S Perhaps we could give a few donations - also maybe help some smaller scottish charities - may be even doing somthing to do with dance and young people - just a thought.:nice:

Gus
29th-November-2002, 01:11 AM
Originally posted by Fran
Strangely, although the very nature of the home deals with the saddness of children who are terminally ill, it is not the sad place people may think or fear, but it is a place which as Heather said relies on charitable funding to survive in order to provide the service it does.

fran

'Nuff said ... gets my vote.

Scot
3rd-December-2002, 12:40 PM
Okay in a couple of days I am going to rattle up a poll so that we can vote

Never done that before but I expect it will not be too hard.

Any last suggestions

Scot

John S
3rd-December-2002, 03:03 PM
If the poll is only between Rachel House and the charities I suggested earlier then I'm happy to withdraw my suggestions in favour of Rachel House.

Dreadful Scathe
3rd-December-2002, 03:14 PM
same for me - i vote for Rachel House

Bill
3rd-December-2002, 06:11 PM
Originally posted by Scot

Obviously too generous for you, you gave it back

But I only gave back a third - Denise and Fran gave back their share :wink: :grin: .......but as they did all the work maybe they should have shared it between them anyway !:sick: :what: :D

Wendy
3rd-December-2002, 07:59 PM
Soo agree with the charity thing and I think the last event was pretty near perfect so if it ain't broke...

As far as prizes go, perhaps the winners could (also) get :

- a greater moment of glory by dancing in front of everyone to a record of their choice (no cost)

- their photo splattered all over the forum, local newspaper etc (no cost)

- CEROC vouchers to spend at workshops, classes etc (CEROC could only benefit from this even if it cost a little)

As some CEROCers are self-employed they might be happy to sponsor parts of the day if they got the chance to promote their business :wink:

And what about a raffle with fun prizes (the chance to dance with Bill in his red shoes, do a double trouble with Roy and Brady, have a private lesson with Franck, stroke Sheena's trousers.... you know the kind of thing I mean !!!) that could raise millions !!!!!!

Wx

John S
3rd-December-2002, 08:26 PM
Originally posted by Wendy

.....stroke Sheena's trousers.... you know the kind of thing I mean !!!) that could raise millions !!!!!!

Well, it would certainly raise temperatures!

:wink:

TheTramp
3rd-December-2002, 09:14 PM
stroke Sheena's trousersIs Sheena going to be in them? Yes. Put me down for a zillion tickets please....

:devil:

Steve

Tiggerbabe
4th-December-2002, 01:54 AM
Originally posted by John S

Well, it would certainly raise temperatures!

:wink:

Only temperatures John?:sad: Must be losing my touch:tears: :tears:

TheTramp
4th-December-2002, 01:56 AM
Only temperatures John? Must be losing my touchHmmm. I don't get this. Can someone please explain?

Steve

:innocent:

Fran
4th-December-2002, 10:18 AM
Hmmm. I don't get this. Can someone please explain?

Steve

ermmmm.... steve - somthing else gets raised - (us girlies dont have them):wink: :wink: :really:

fran:wink:

TheTramp
4th-December-2002, 10:21 AM
Ummm.

Pint glasses (I'm told that real ladies don't drink out of those)?
Beer guts?

I'm still stuck Fran. Thanks for trying though......

Steve

Reklaw
4th-December-2002, 10:22 AM
Originally posted by Fran

ermmmm.... steve - somthing else gets raised - (us girlies dont have them):wink: :wink: :really:
Expectations?

Fran
4th-December-2002, 10:24 AM
Ummm.

Pint glasses (I'm told that real ladies don't drink out of those)?
Beer guts?

I'm still stuck Fran. Thanks for trying though......

Steve

ahhh sweetie, - the blissfulness of innocence.- so refreshing in a man.
:kiss:

TheTramp
4th-December-2002, 10:25 AM
Hey!!

I've got it. The answer's obvious!!!

SPORRANS!

Steve

Fran
4th-December-2002, 10:26 AM
Originally posted by Reklaw

Expectations?

so true!!!!:wink:
fran

John S
4th-December-2002, 10:44 AM
Originally posted by Sheena

At my age, Sheena, I'm lucky if even the temperature goes up.:sad:

Remember, if the move doesn't work properly it's always the man's fault.:tears:

TheTramp
4th-December-2002, 10:49 AM
Good answer John S!!

Made me laugh :grin:

Steve

Gadget
4th-December-2002, 01:39 PM
{I do like a good bit of inuendo...}

Originally posted by Sheena
I'm sure that your touch could make a multitude of things rise, temperatures being only one.

the blissfulness of innocence.- so refreshing in a man
I'm not sure that it would be that refressing to be in a man - and I'm not to sure about the innocence thing either, but each to their own; whatever brings you bliss. :innocent:

Originally posted by The Tramp
I've got it. The answer's obvious!!!
SPORRANS!
That's it - a true sporran raiser. (look - no hands !)

Originally posted by JohnS
Remember, if the move doesn't work properly it's always the man's fault.
...But practice can make the moves better and enable you to last longer, even if you do get a bit hot and sweaty. Most women can be forgiving of the first couple of mistakes and if you ask them, they are always willing to guide you.

TheTramp
4th-December-2002, 01:52 PM
But practice can make the moves better and enable you to last longer, even if you do get a bit hot and sweaty. Most women can be forgiving of the first couple of mistakes and if you ask them, they are always willing to guide you.Assuming (!) that we're still talking about dance (!). You should read the posts in the other thread about women leading.

Of course, if we're not talking about dance......:devil: :innocent:

Steve

Fran
4th-December-2002, 01:56 PM
Originally posted by Gadget
{I'm not sure that it would be that refressing to be in a man - :

you will have to take the female word on this one gadget! :wink:

In a world full of cynisism, it is refreshing - its a girl thing.

fran :nice: