PDA

View Full Version : Move gurus revisited

David Bailey
30th-April-2005, 08:56 AM
Back due to popular demand: Mystery move number 2.

OK, so the man's facing the woman, man's right hand hand high and to the left, holding woman's right hand. Man's left hand is behind woman's back, holding her left hand. Don't worry about how you get there, I assume anyone crazy enough to be doing this move can get to that point by themselves... With me so far?

Now, here's where it gets tricky :)

The woman stands still throughout this move, and does not turn, just wiggles. That's very important - if she turns, you're in a world of pain.

The main slowly moves around the lady in a full circle anti-clockwise, keeping the handhold, but obviously twisting the lady's left arm down and around (gently!) into a kind of double-nelson thing.

You're then both facing, lady's hands behind her back in a "handcuff hold" (no comments, please).

There are a number of ways to get out of this - I usually carry on with another walkaround, but let's keep it simple; you can just spin the lady out with either hand.

Again, it's a proper move, I've been taught it twice in the past few years. And this is the good part - it ports to salsa superbly,

So, does anyone recognise this? Any guesses to names?

* There's an Amir-taught variant that involved the woman moving forward and back in her slot, but I think this is confusing enough already. Although the variant is nicer... I'd even say it's better in salsa than MJ.

Robin
30th-April-2005, 01:10 PM
Back due to popular demand: Mystery move number 2.

OK, so the man's facing the woman, man's right hand hand high and to the left, holding woman's right hand. Man's left hand is behind woman's back, holding her left hand. Don't worry about how you get there, I assume anyone crazy enough to be doing this move can get to that point by themselves... With me so far?

Now, here's where it gets tricky :)

The woman stands still throughout this move, and does not turn, just wiggles. That's very important - if she turns, you're in a world of pain.

The main slowly moves around the lady in a full circle anti-clockwise, keeping the handhold, but obviously twisting the lady's left arm down and around (gently!) into a kind of double-nelson thing.

You're then both facing, lady's hands behind her back in a "handcuff hold" (no comments, please).

There are a number of ways to get out of this - I usually carry on with another walkaround, but let's keep it simple; you can just spin the lady out with either hand.

Again, it's a proper move, I've been taught it twice in the past few years. And this is the good part - it ports to salsa superbly,

So, does anyone recognise this? Any guesses to names?

* There's an Amir-taught variant that involved the woman moving forward and back in her slot, but I think this is confusing enough already. Although the variant is nicer... I'd even say it's better in salsa than MJ.

[House of Commons Mode]

"I refer the honourable member to my previous answer"
Click here to see what I said (http://www.cerocscotland.com/forum/showpost.php?p=118474&postcount=23)

Robin
30th-April-2005, 01:14 PM
Good description though - I know *exactly* which move you mean - do it lots on Tezi and absolutly no idea what its called ! :blush:

Maybe something like "Swizzle Full Nelson Spin Wrap Out Variation" ?

hehehe (I just made that up but its as descriptive as I can manage)

David Bailey
1st-May-2005, 11:34 AM
The main slowly moves around the lady in a full circle anti-clockwise,

Oops, my apologies. It was pointed out to me last night that it's not a full circle - the guy walks around to the right of the girl, then stops when just behind her, does the full-nelson thing with the arms, then walks back to face, not carrying on around.
:blush:

Just to add to the confusion :)

El Salsero Gringo
1st-May-2005, 12:57 PM
Oops, my apologies. It was pointed out to me last night that it's not a full circle - the guy walks around to the right of the girl, then stops when just behind her, does the full-nelson thing with the arms, then walks back to face, not carrying on around.Alternatively you can stay on the spot and turn the girl a quarter turn clockwise, do the nelson-y thing then turn her back a quarter turn to face you.

Of course once you have both her hands behind her back, you can do anything you like, and she's powerless to stop you. Short of a knee in the groin, that is.

David Bailey
1st-May-2005, 05:11 PM
Of course once you have both her hands behind her back, you can do anything you like, and she's powerless to stop you.

The mere thought hadn't even begun to speculate about the merest possibility of crossing my mind :whistle:

By the way, like the new look!

Trish
3rd-May-2005, 01:21 PM
Sounds a bit like a move I know called a "straight jacket", but I could be wrong! - do you end up facing each other with both the girls hands in your hands - with her hands crossed behind her back?! - if you do, then it probably is some variation on a straight jacket, I've done various endings to this including spin outs, turn outs and wiggles.

Robin
3rd-May-2005, 01:29 PM
Sounds a bit like a move I know called a "straight jacket", but I could be wrong! - do you end up facing each other with both the girls hands in your hands - with her hands crossed behind her back?! - if you do, then it probably is some variation on a straight jacket, I've done various endings to this including spin outs, turn outs and wiggles.

Ahhh - thats the move I was thinking of ! Damn, wish I could come up with a decent quip about using a strait jacket... :wink:

Robin
3rd-May-2005, 01:31 PM
Of course once you have both her hands behind her back, you can do anything you like, and she's powerless to stop you. Short of a knee in the groin, that is.
There speaks the voice of experience

David Bailey
3rd-May-2005, 01:44 PM
Yay, gold star - exactly :)
Thanks. Good name too, very descriptive. Although "Shoulder dislocator" might be even better ...

You guys are too good at this, I'll have to just make something up now...

There speaks the voice of experience
I'm shocked, shocked I say, to hear that anyone could imagine anything untoward from that inference.

El Salsero Gringo
3rd-May-2005, 01:58 PM
I'm shocked, shocked I say, to hear that anyone could imagine anything untoward from that inference.I'm staying out of this - I've said far too much already.

Robin
3rd-May-2005, 02:10 PM
You guys are too good at this, I'll have to just make something up now...

Good topic here it comes (http://www.cerocscotland.com/forum/showpost.php?p=118881&postcount=1)

Trish
3rd-May-2005, 02:10 PM
Ahhh - thats the move I was thinking of ! Damn, wish I could come up with a decent quip about using a strait jacket... :wink:

Yes, that was what I thought when I posted!

Glad I got one right - couldn't figure out the last one at all, I'll has to see if Lory and ZW can help me at Camber!

I agree about this move sometimes dislocating your shoulder though!

Barry Shnikov
17th-May-2005, 09:51 AM

Yep, I was taught this as a 'straight jacket', though the way I lead it I don't move around the lady but carefully turn her a quarter to her right, making sure that I communicat to her that she is to let her right arm be limp.