PDA

View Full Version : The role of the Taxi dancer

stewart38
29th-April-2005, 11:22 AM
I mentioned on another thread about a taxi dancer in London who threw a total beginner all over the place. I took her there, it was her first time. She didn’t like that and hasn’t come back despite reassurances it was not 'normal behaviour for a 'Taxi dancer'

Seems now you can be a Taxi dancer in less then 6 months after starting ceroc/jive.

Most do a great job but are there a few rogue ones sliping through, more intent on showing of with 'beginners' or being sleazy. Looks like this happen up North as well ?

People who run clubs how do you choose a Taxi dancer ? Many years ago it seemed it was hard to get Taxi dancers, some clubs now have rotation of many.

I was at an evening recently:-

I asked a beginner lady to dance, I had danced with her several times in the past.

This time she said she was feeling quite unwell as her previous dance she had felt very unsafe as the man had put her into a lot of drops, and did many complex moves.

She told me she felt very embarrased, but did not want to walk away as people were already laughing, cheering and clapping at her predicament.

I reassured her that it was him at fault , not her.

I was understandably especially gentle with the lady throughout our dance.

At the end while we were still on the floor, a taxi dancer came up, and said to the beginner - let me show you what YOU were doing wrong - with the previous track.

I was then asked by the taxi dancer, to help demonstrate the correct way to do drops, which I felt quite uncomfortable doing.

Goodness knows what impression the beginner got.

Should I have reported the man ?

johnthehappyguy :nice:

El Salsero Gringo
29th-April-2005, 12:00 PM
Most do a great job but are there a few rogue ones sliping through, more intent on showing of with 'beginners' or being sleazy. I hope you have better evidence for this baldly-stated 'fact' than one posting about one lady's interpretation of one taxi-dancer. And what about the 'sleazy' bit? Can you back that up please?

drathzel
29th-April-2005, 01:29 PM
I have been dancing 9 months now and have just been made a taxi. I am hoping this is because i set a good example as well as a willingness to help.

I dont think the time you have danced is relavent i think it has to do with you abiltity to learn the moves correctly and convey them accross in a manner that is friendly and certainly not intimidating. i know as a female taxi we cant throw beginners about the place but i do think we can set a good example by when leading making sure that we dont put females into complicated moves they are not able to handle, this might encourage others (male and female)to do the same!

:hug:

Little Em
29th-April-2005, 01:38 PM
without going into too much detail, i choose my taxi dancers by asking myself are they friendly ? :) are they approachable ? :) an do they have a willingness toslow things down with the begs when they get stuck !!! :na:

i have a couple of taxi dancers who have only been dancing a year, but they do a fantastic job, an the retention of begs at the moment is quite good ,so they must b doing something right !!! :wink:

I do wtach the taxis sometime sto make sure that everything is "going ok" !!! though i dont have set do's an dont;s...if i saw anyone being thrown around, i would put a stop to that by havin a word with the taxi dancer, "that maybe they aren ready for such moves"

there is a way of handling situations, and done in the right way, everyone can b happy !!!! :D

Clive Long
29th-April-2005, 01:58 PM
This is probably far too simplistic but what if a Taxi Dancer started the whole activity by asking "How can I help you?"

Seems to set the right tone and allows the person asking for help to define what and to what degree of difficulty they need help on.

Probably too "old-fashioned" an approach.

Clive

Little Em
29th-April-2005, 02:08 PM
i think that you would then come across beginners saying "i dont know what i need help with " or "everything!"

:confused:

like when you ask a 2year old what they want for dinner!!! its just not a wise question !!! :D

x

stewart38
29th-April-2005, 02:10 PM
I hope you have better evidence for this baldly-stated 'fact' than one posting about one lady's interpretation of one taxi-dancer. And what about the 'sleazy' bit? Can you back that up please?

Of course I have 'facts' one of them got banned or shall we say not asked to re-join the Taxi ranks. (re sleezy). And its 3 postings now ? and multi genda

But maybe your right it did get personal for me with this Taxi dancer and my friend

Maybe 99.99% of taxi dancers do a wonderful job and i think if their ready their ready regardless of how long they have been dancing. They certainly make a wonderful contribution.

But you should let other express their views with out shouting them down

Good - I'm glad :D

But I have :whistle:

Graham
29th-April-2005, 02:15 PM
I do not select taxi-dancers, but I have occasionally had discussions on this subject (and on particular individuals) with those who do.

The requirements are a welcoming and friendly manner, a good grasp of dancing basics and the mechanics of the beginner moves, a willingness to help, and an ability to dance to a reasonably standard. Taxis should also not be sleazy, nor should they be yankers or stinkers :wink:. However, it's not always easy to find individuals who score 10/10 in all categories, so there's nearly always going to be a compromise somewhere, and usually it's hoped that the person chosen can improve any areas which were initially a concern. In practice the only way to find out is to try them, so having good taxis is as much about monitoring how they're getting on in the job as it is about your initial selection.

David Bailey
29th-April-2005, 02:18 PM
like when you ask a 2year old what they want for dinner!!! its just not a wise question !!! :D

Unless you too want chicken nuggets and chips, of course.

In the taxi situation then, I guess then you should only ask if you know what they'll answer. Errr...

Clive Long
29th-April-2005, 02:26 PM
i think that you would then come across beginners saying "i dont know what i need help with " or "everything!"

:confused:

x

Well, if someone can't articulate at all what they are having difficulty with, maybe they will have problems communicating with any dance partner. If you seek help, you will find a way to ask for what you need

I take your slap-down like a man :tears: :tears: :tears:

David Bailey
29th-April-2005, 02:59 PM
The requirements are a welcoming and friendly manner, a good grasp of dancing basics and the mechanics of the beginner moves, a willingness to help, and an ability to dance to a reasonably standard.
Reminds me of the joke about the Perfect Man :)

Taxis should also not be sleazy, nor should they be yankers or stinkers :wink:. .
Oi, that's "personal space disrespectors", "muscular movers" and "fragrantly challenged" in the Newspeak, don't you know...

Although personally, I prefer "No w*nkers, yankers or stinkers"... :)

MartinHarper
29th-April-2005, 03:00 PM
Well, if someone can't articulate at all what they are having difficulty with, maybe they will have problems communicating with any dance partner.

Most beginner don't know what they're having difficulty with.
Come to that, a substantial proportion of intermediates don't know what their dance weaknesses are.

Stuart M
29th-April-2005, 03:13 PM
Come to that, a substantial proportion of intermediates don't know what their dance weaknesses are.So, relating this to the thread title...what do people feel should be the role of a taxi dancer with regards to Intermediate dancers?

Little Em
29th-April-2005, 03:14 PM
Well, if someone can't articulate at all what they are having difficulty with, maybe they will have problems communicating with any dance partner. If you seek help, you will find a way to ask for what you need

I take your slap-down like a man :tears: :tears: :tears:

it wasn a slap down :hug:

but it is true, begs will prob not know what they r doing!!! so when asked, ur bound to get an answer that isn exactly pin pointing a specific *thing*

em :flower:

Graham
29th-April-2005, 03:19 PM
Most beginner don't know what they're having difficulty with.
Come to that, a substantial proportion of intermediates don't know what their dance weaknesses are.
:yeah: I agree that many dancers are utterly oblivious to their own weaknesses, and even if they have an idea that something is wrong, they're often unable to identify the cause of the problem.

I would agree that taxi dancers shouldn't go up to people and just launch into "what you're doing wrong is...." but that's not to say they should just ask how they can help (what do most people say to shop assistants who ask this, after all?). Usually I start by asking about how they're enjoying it, whether they're finding anything difficult, etc.

stewart38
29th-April-2005, 03:29 PM
So, relating this to the thread title...what do people feel should be the role of a taxi dancer with regards to Intermediate dancers?

I dont think they should have one although thats sort of 'been the way'.

Maybe after 9pm they could be there for every one ? (I appreciate their volunteers)

Stuart M
29th-April-2005, 03:43 PM
Actually, just realised there's a good thread in beginner's corner with exactly the same name as this one - see related threads at bottom of screen...

Dreadful Scathe
29th-April-2005, 04:21 PM

I think Im a 2 year old :(

El Salsero Gringo
29th-April-2005, 05:28 PM
Of course I have 'facts' one of them got banned or shall we say not asked to re-join the Taxi ranks. (re sleezy). And its 3 postings now ? and multi genda

But maybe your right it did get personal for me with this Taxi dancer and my friend

Maybe 99.99% of taxi dancers do a wonderful job and i think if their ready their ready regardless of how long they have been dancing. They certainly make a wonderful contribution.

But you should let other express their views with out shouting them downYou're absolutely right to raise the issue if it's on your mind, but I'm wary of allowing what could be just a "common misconception" to pass unchallenged into fact (although I'm probably as guilty of it as anyone). If fact backs up the assertion then all well and good.

And if the one who was 'sleazy' was asked to step down from the post then that problem sorted itself out, though obviously it would have been better avoided in the first place.

I would never want to shout anyone down... who would there be left to argue with?

Clive Long
29th-April-2005, 06:47 PM
But if they are so unaware they won't be asking for help will they?

Clive Long
29th-April-2005, 06:51 PM
<< snip >>
And if the one who was 'sleazy' was asked to step down from the post then that problem sorted itself out,
<< snip >>

Strictly the problem was sorted rather than it sorted itself out. No?

... So, relating this to the thread title......

Always someone around spoiling other people's fun. :rolleyes: :wink:

No. I'm Spartacus

David Bailey
29th-April-2005, 07:22 PM
You're absolutely right to raise the issue if it's on your mind, but I'm wary of allowing what could be just a "common misconception" to pass unchallenged into fact

Or even an, err, average misconception...?

(I crack myself up sometimes)

I would never want to shout anyone down... who would there be left to argue with?
I have every confidence you'd find a way.

stewart38
29th-April-2005, 07:40 PM

Thats why we have mums that live longer