PDA

View Full Version : Acupuncture?

Katie
27th-April-2005, 02:32 PM
Has anyone benefited from the use of acupuncture?

There seems to be an endless list of conditions it can help, physical, emotional, general well-being....... but I can't help thinking it is a case of the placebo effect? :confused:

Any views?

Clive Long
27th-April-2005, 03:04 PM

There seems to be an endless list of conditions it can help, physical, emotional, general well-being....... but I can't help thinking it is a case of the placebo effect? :confused:

Any views?

No direct experience - but I was told by a Chinese "conventional" doctor that he had direct experience it was effective in treating chronic (long-term) conditions. However, the consultation was longer than a conventional "here take this" meeting that can be squeezed in the West. Note that is all anecdotal (spelling?)

I seem to remember that you are discouraged from giving blood if you have had acupuncture in the previous 12 months. Any medicos know if that is true?

There is probably also a concern about HIV transmission resulting from sticking pins in yourself that have been used on others - that's probably a very argued over assertion. Anyone know of any research in that area?

I add - what's wrong with a placebo effect if it produces the desired result ??

Clive

Rhythm King
27th-April-2005, 03:08 PM
I've had it for two separate conditions, one medical and one relating to my spinal problems. I was very cynical and dubious about going, but was convinced to give it a go by Tas Beckett. It did actually work, much to my amazement. I would recommend making sure the practitioner is properly trained and accredited though. Also, it wasn't particularly cheap and if you go to a commercial Chinese Traditional Medicine place, they'll try and sell you everything under the sun. Bottom line though, is that in my experience, I'd say give it a go.

R-K :flower:

Rhythm King
27th-April-2005, 03:11 PM
I seem to remember that you are discouraged from giving blood if you have had acupuncture in the previous 12 months. Any medicos know if that is true?

There is probably also a concern about HIV transmission resulting from sticking pins in yourself that have been used on others - that's probably a very argued over assertion. Anyone know of any research in that area?

Clive

This was not an issue, in that the place I went to used disposable, single use needles.

R-K

CJ
27th-April-2005, 03:16 PM
I am currently under treatment for a skin condition which is stress induced.

It is not cheap, but I assure you it's making an ENORMOUS difference:

my hands themselves, my "energies", sleep patterns, etc have all been affetced to the good. The treatment, from a good practitioner, is holistic in its approach.

I would thoroughly recommend it. (Just make sure your practitioner is legit, registered, etc, etc, etc... :rolleyes: )

foxylady
27th-April-2005, 03:18 PM
No reputable acupuncturist will use anything other than single use disposable needles !!

I have used acupunture on and off for the last 4 years to treat a variety of things. It had been most successful with a cricked neck (my acupuncturist called it her 'party trick', as it always works immediately, and is like the 'magic' treatment), bursitus of the hip, and knee inflammation. two actue problems and one chronic. It has also helped with other ailments, but possibly not so obviously.

I was certainly a sceptic when I started, but was prepared to try anything, but am now a convert !

Find it very hard to believe that it is simply placebo effect, but even if it is, nothing else had the same effect.

Tessalicious
27th-April-2005, 03:20 PM
I personally have had acupuncture and although it helped I didn't like it much (being a needle-phobe what could I expect), but I would really recommend the needle-free alternative which is shiatsu. ( http://www.shiatsu.org ) It can work wonders for so many things, and is so much more relaxing than acupuncture (if you want a practitioner in London, try Vanessa Jeffcoat in Kensington).

Magic Hans
27th-April-2005, 05:09 PM

Any views?

Yes! Plenty!!!!

My experience is that:

a) There is no fix-all (alternative therapy) that works for everyone. ie some work very well for some, and others don't

b) personally I would only be happy having therapy from someone that I got on with!

c) again I reckon that results are assisted by a non-cynical opinion of that therapy. Call it placebo effect, or self delusion or whatever. If it works it works!

[I like the example of the big American footballer who was hypnotised to not be able to lift a very small object, despite the muscle straining. Bio-feedback showed that half of his muscle was straining to lift the object, the other half was straining to ensure that it stay where his (hypnotised) mind meant it to be!]

Cerocfan
1st-May-2005, 12:12 PM

The accupuncturist should be able to give you a signed certificate stating they are 'currently a Registered Practitioner with the BRITISH ACUPUNCTURE COUNCIL'. Then the Transfusion Centre will decide if they will accept your blood, their point being that the condition for which you are receiving treatment may prevent your blood being usable.

Have been receiving ac'ture for muscular probs, but haven't got round to visiting donor centre since, to see their reaction to my certificate.

ducasi
1st-May-2005, 12:57 PM
According to this article (http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/health/4493011.stm) published on the BBC news site yesterday...

Scientists say they have proof that acupuncture works in its own right.

Sceptics have said that any benefits gained from acupuncture are merely down to a person's expectation that the treatment will work.

But researchers at University College London and Southampton University say they have separated out this placebo effect. :nice: