PDA

View Full Version : Christmas Party 28th Dec

Scot
26th-November-2002, 05:43 PM
In past years we have had a theme for this.

I have till the Party this Saturday to come up with a Theme for the 28th Dec.

I am open to ideas "Clean or otherwise?"

Seriously though any suggestions would be appreciated if you have the time

Cheers

Scot

Gus
26th-November-2002, 05:53 PM
The ones that worked the best for us at Nantwich seemed to involve dressing up as your idols, e.g.;

Stars of Stage, Film and Music

Heroes and Villans

and the all catching

Anyone you like as long as they are/were famous

CJ
26th-November-2002, 05:56 PM
As it's so close to Christmas, Nativity?

Seriously, something to do with peace and goodwill?

Auld lang syne?

Dreadful Scathe
26th-November-2002, 05:56 PM
Rocky Horror Show theme

if only to see Bill as Dr Frank N Furter again :)

Fran
26th-November-2002, 06:07 PM
Originally posted by Dreadful Scathe
Rocky Horror Show theme

if only to see Bill as Dr Frank N Furter again :)

and make all the ladies envious that he can dance, and do triple spins in the 3" heels:wink:

actually scott its quite a fun idea - rocky horror etc.

fran.:nice:

Bill
26th-November-2002, 06:34 PM
Originally posted by Fran

and make all the ladies envious that he can dance, and do triple spins in the 3" heels:wink:

actually scott its quite a fun idea - rocky horror etc.

Well actually............ don't know if I still have the suspenders and the basque :sorry :rolleyes: Mind you the shoes are red so..... and I know a lot of girls who love dressing up in stockings and suspenders ( almost as much as the men enjoy watching :D ).

Perhaps somehting more Christmasy ???

But on that theme Scot.... what about 'stars from the musicals' could be anyone /anything from Liza Minelli in Cabaret, to Cats, gangster from Chicago, Fred & Ginger, Rocky Horror etc. etc....

Graham
26th-November-2002, 09:16 PM
Originally posted by Bill
Well actually............ don't know if I still have the suspenders and the basque :sorry :rolleyes: Come off it, Bill - Fran's told us all about it, so there's no need to pretend amongst friends!(?) :wink: And lurking behind Fran's new avatar there's obviously a few more secrets to tell! :really: :wink:

Basil Brush (Forum Plant)
26th-November-2002, 11:48 PM
Fran's avatar is so cool... made me think about an S & M theme. That would be outrageous.

Like the Rocky Horror idea. Or just 'rubber'?

John S
27th-November-2002, 12:50 AM
Whatever theme is chosen, there will be those who don't fancy it. For example, was it last year or the year before, when the "School Uniform" theme was chosen, some really loved the idea and others hated it.

There are usually quite a few events throughout the year with a fancy dress theme, and for a major event such as a Christmas party a lot of ladies (and quite a few men) would perhaps prefer to dress up in their finery and strut their stuff.

So ideally, if there is a fancy dress type theme at least make it clear in the publicity that it's not compulsory and that dressing with a touch of class is also a viable option!

Whatever, Scot, you can't win!!:na:

Lou
27th-November-2002, 10:41 AM
What about a James Bond theme? It's seasonal (after all, there's always a Bond movie on during the holidays), and you can dress up as much or as little as you like (e.g. if you didn't want to do much, you could just paint one finger gold.... :wink: )

Dreadful Scathe
27th-November-2002, 10:44 AM
Originally posted by Lou
What about a James Bond theme? It's seasonal (after all, there's always a Bond movie on during the holidays), and you can dress up as much or as little as you like (e.g. if you didn't want to do much, you could just paint one finger gold.... :wink: )

Can I cover myself in cat and kitten soft toys and come as 'Pussy Galore' ? :)

Bill
27th-November-2002, 11:25 AM
Originally posted by John S

So ideally, if there is a fancy dress type theme at least make it clear in the publicity that it's not compulsory and that dressing with a touch of class is also a viable option!

Whatever, Scot, you can't win!!:na:

True............ but a 'Musicals ' Theme would allow women to get on their long frocks and come as Ginger or some Hollywood dance queen ( oops.....that's me in my outfit isn't it :sick: :D )

I do have my tails so I could come as Fred. We did do something similar in Abereen last year and it was fun.

TheTramp
27th-November-2002, 11:52 AM
Bill,

I'm starting to get a little worried about all these posts referring to you getting dressed up as a woman.....

Although, given Frans new avatar....!!!! :wink:

Steve

Although, as a Scotsman, I guess you'd be used to wearing a skirt!!!
(I'll start running for the hills now!! :rolleyes: )

Tweetie
27th-November-2002, 12:39 PM
How about a historical theme where people could choose any date they want and come dressed in period costume.... from dinosaurs to DuranDuran kind of thing. :wink:

Scot
28th-November-2002, 04:10 PM
Hmm I am trying to determine a consensus here.

Not sure if there is one oh well I am doing the leaflets tomorrow. So I will just pick one and go for it.

As an added incentive before Tomorrow, the person whose idea we take will get in for free along with a bottle of fizzy.

Cerocfan
28th-November-2002, 05:04 PM
Theme for party night, how about 'Grease', 'Moulin Rouge', 'Feathers & Tassels', 'Starstruck', the last could be interpreted many ways, 'Red & Gold', 'Something on a Christmas Tree', I'm sure Bill would make a wonderful fairy. 'A Masked Ball' - gives even those guys who hate dressing up the option of joining in with a rubber horror mask; allows us girls to wear our glitzy finery AND take part at the same time.Wearing a mask is peculiarly freeing. A prize could be given for the best home-made version.

Steven
28th-November-2002, 06:12 PM
The masked ball sounds like a good lidea!

Scot
28th-November-2002, 06:14 PM
Any further bids on a Masked Ball

Franck
28th-November-2002, 06:21 PM
Originally posted by Scot
Any further bids on a Masked Ball Good one, and very easy to keep simple for those that don't want to dress up!
Last time we did one, Jean had a fabulous feather mask, impossible to dance with (as it was so high), but it looked good...
They also tend to be too hot keep on when dancing, which is a shame as the mystery element would be nice otherwise!

One last suggestion, is to have a batch of simple (cheap) masks at the front desk and sell them to anyone without a mask (proceeds going to either a charity, or as a prize for the best mask on the night!).

Franck.

Fran
29th-November-2002, 01:20 AM
Originally posted by Cerocfan
I'm sure Bill would make a wonderful fairy. 'A Masked Ball' -
I would have to disagree with you on that .:reallymad :reallymad
Hmmm - how dare who ever you are!!!!!:reallymad !!!!!!!what a whimp - insulting people and hiding behind a fake name.

although I do like the idea of feathers & tassles, and Moulin Rouge.:devil: :yum::nice: hint hint Scott.

The only problem with the masked ball is that it can be very difficult dancing with a mask on - sometimes it is actully difficult to see what yo are doing - last time I wore a mask I kept missing the mans hand because the line of vison was blocked due to the eye holes in the mask.

fran

Stuart M
29th-November-2002, 10:02 AM
although I do like the idea of feathers & tassles, and Moulin Rouge.:devil: :yum::nice: hint hint Scott.
Moulin Rouge is a good idea for the gals, but I can't think of many options from the movie for us guys. Still i suppose we'd be happy just watching the gals high kicking in stockings and sussies...:wink:

Originally posted by Fran The only problem with the masked ball is that it can be very difficult dancing with a mask on - sometimes it is actully difficult to see what yo are doing - last time I wore a mask I kept missing the mans hand because the line of vison was blocked due to the eye holes in the mask.

I agree - masks aren't all that practical!

Myself I'd go for "Stars from the Movies": I know someone who'll use it as a great excuse for Holly Golightly to appear again :grin:

PS No, not me!

Dreadful Scathe
29th-November-2002, 10:18 AM
Originally posted by Stuart M
Moulin Rouge is a good idea for the gals, but I can't think of many options from the movie for us guys. Still i suppose we'd be happy just watching the gals high kicking in stockings and sussies...:wink:

Hmm, watch the film again ! :) Theres the tango dancers in tshirts & braces, the ringmaster outfit, the big band uniforms, the dinner jacket with top hat of the toffs, the down and out writer look, the painist with big coat/hat/huge scarf, the scruffy turn of the century stage hands or if you go as Toulouse Lautrec you can go on your knees - not so practical for dancing that one.

The girls have very little to go as in comparison are you sure youre not confused - or just biased :) Stockings and sussies gets my vote :)

Cerocfan
29th-November-2002, 10:48 AM
Hi Fran,

You've taken completely the wrong meaning from my saying Bill would make a good fairy! I've read in the forum about the (in) famous red dress & the high heels. I gather he looked amazing & was still able to dance as wonderfully as he always does. Therefore I felt he would add a touch of humour as well as style to a theme that some may take a little too seriously, & it would allow those like me, who have never seen him in this sort of get-up, to see what everyone was raving about.
He's lucky to have someone to defend him so vehemently even when he doesn't need it!!

Sandy
29th-November-2002, 10:59 AM

Seriously though any suggestions would be appreciated if you have the time

Cheers

Scot

"Tarts & Vicars"?? Had a great laugh at a party when some of the guys dressed up as the tarts - anyone can wear the high heels, stockings and suspenders??:devil: :wink:

Is this party at Marco's?? Is it a ticket thing or just go along?

Sandy

Lindsay
29th-November-2002, 11:08 AM
Sandy's 'Vicars & tarts' gets my vote... (similar to the 'heaven and hell' theme we did at Airth Castle). You can have a huge range of costumes and efforts- Bill can wear his dress, girls can go glam, Fran can take her whip:wink: , Flo can get on her sussies, and people who can't be bothered just need a white collar.

Why not have a poll?

Tweetie
29th-November-2002, 11:16 AM
I think the Moulin Rouge theme sounds Fun and for those of us who love getting costumed up it would lend its self to going OTT!!!:devil:

Jivy Rachel
29th-November-2002, 11:41 AM
How about "Pirates" ?

TheTramp
29th-November-2002, 11:48 AM
This is unfair....

You're making me jealous...

I think that you should all either stop talking about this, or bring it a little further south (about 440 miles) so that I can come too!!!

:wink:

Steve

Bill
29th-November-2002, 12:02 PM
Originally posted by Cerocfan
Hi Fran,

You've taken completely the wrong meaning from my saying Bill would make a good fairy!

I think the response was tongue in cheek as well.............:D :wink:

I understood your reference and any man who ( very rarely !!!!) wears a skirt and red high heels can't complain if a few ( light hearted ) comments are made.

I don't have a Moulin Rouge dress though :sick: No real consensus then ????

Moulin Rouge does tie in with the theme of Musicals though so could easily incorporate both! And folk could wear a mask as well if they liked ! :rolleyes:

Gadget
29th-November-2002, 12:42 PM
Why not just theme it as "Fancy Dress" ? then everything from Gorillas to Gretta Garbo is within the theme.
How about "Movies" ? If someone can't find a costume that fits in a for a movie, then they are not trying very hard.
I think that tying it down to one specific movie is a bit constraining, esp if you dislike the movie in question. {BTW I have see "Mulan", is that close enough to "Moulin Rouge"? :)}
Perhaps limiting to a sub-section, like "musicals", you could include Mary Poppins, Moulin Rouge, Rockey Horror...

Scot
29th-November-2002, 03:09 PM
Based on the feedback

I thought I would go with the Gus suggestion

Stars of Stage, Film and Music

This one seems to encapsulate the bulk of the above suggestions

Many thanks for your thoughts a great help

Now all I need to do is decide what to go as I wonder if I will get away with Andy Pandy again ?

Scot

CJ
29th-November-2002, 05:04 PM

Now all I need to do is decide what to go as I wonder if I will get away with Andy Pandy again ?

Scot

I didn't see you take him round the back last time!!:wink:

Fran
29th-November-2002, 11:29 PM
Ref; - Cerocfan calling Bill a fairy::reallymad :nice:

Originally posted by Bill

I think the response was tongue in cheek as well.............:D :wink:

for that in my absence today:wink:

fran:nice:

TheTramp
29th-November-2002, 11:30 PM
You mean he's not?? :wink: :devil: :yum:

Steve

Fran
29th-November-2002, 11:33 PM

Scot

Ah well ceroc jock you must not have been watching closely enough:wink:

actually scott, heard you looked great as Andy Pandy that night - rather:nice: :nice: I guess we will all be getting our thinking caps on now for the theme .

Fran:nice:

Fran
29th-November-2002, 11:37 PM
Originally posted by TheTramp
You mean he's not?? :wink: :devil: :yum:

Steve

trust me ... I know he is no fairy:wink: and there ends that conversation.

Fran

Ps you have so brightened up the artisitic flair of the forum steve
what a lovely influence :wink: :wink: thankyou.x:kiss: :cheers:

Fran
29th-November-2002, 11:40 PM

Myself I'd go for "Stars from the Movies": I know someone who'll use it as a great excuse for Holly Golightly to appear again :grin:

PS No, not me!

excuse the ignorance Stuart, but who is Holly Golightly?????

( I bet this is going to be some one really obvious:sorry )

fran

TheTramp
29th-November-2002, 11:52 PM
Don't think that this is the one that was meant, but the only reference I could find to that name on the internet, is a singer.

http://www.epitonic.com/artists/hollygolightly.html

There you go. I'm sure that someone will point out if this is totally the wrong end of the stick!!

Steve

PS. Thanks for the comment on the artistic thing Fran. Tis nice to feel appreciated. This is for you....
http://www.thetramp.pwp.blueyonder.co.uk/images/kiss.gif

Hmmm.... Can anyone explain why it's stopped putting images into posts, and puts in links instead?

Fran
30th-November-2002, 12:08 AM
you are a mind full of information Steve:grin:

and of course you are appreciated !!!

thanks for the kisses - I have no idea why its not posting them. Maybe Franck has been fiddling with things.

TheTramp
30th-November-2002, 12:11 AM
Maybe Franck has been fiddling with things
Suits you sir!!!

Steve

Jayne
1st-December-2002, 06:49 PM
I know someone who'll use it as a great excuse for Holly Golightly to appear again :grin:

PS No, not me!

huummm... This Holly Golightly hasn't had a night out for a while and I'm sure she wants to - but I think she may have touble getting into that slinky black dress three days after christmas.. :sad:

Jayne
aka Fifi Trix
aka Holly Golightly
:nice:

Stuart M
2nd-December-2002, 12:40 AM

excuse the ignorance Stuart, but who is Holly Golightly?????

( I bet this is going to be some one really obvious:sorry )

The gorgeous Audrey Hepburn's character in Breakfast at Tiffany's...I know someone who looks somewhat like her :wink:

Fran
2nd-December-2002, 01:32 AM
Thanks Stuart, I knew it would end up being obvious:o
. I love that film but never rembered that was her name!

fran:nice:

Dreadful Scathe
2nd-December-2002, 10:11 AM
Found this picture of Jayne on the internet :)

Graham
2nd-December-2002, 01:25 PM

The gorgeous Audrey Hepburn's character in Breakfast at Tiffany's...I know someone who looks somewhat like her :wink: Hmmmm. I'm not sure that this character name is so well known that we should all have been expected to recognise it. In fact, someone of a more cynical disposition might think you'd been deliberately enigmatic merely so that you could later post that "someone" closely resembles a gorgeous movie star in reply to the inevitable question. :really: :wink:

Either way, must be worth a good few hundred brownie points! Nice one!! :grin: :devil: :wink:

Jayne
2nd-December-2002, 01:31 PM
Originally posted by Dreadful Scathe
Found this picture of Jayne on the internet :)

:D

Bless ya DS!

I'm slightly more pixie-ish... *sigh*

Jayne

Graham
2nd-December-2002, 05:43 PM
Originally posted by Jayne

I'm slightly more pixie-ish... *sigh*
And this would mean? Pointy ears? Being an imaginary creature? Having magical abilities? Wings? Living in a toadstool?
:wink:

Jayne
3rd-December-2002, 10:08 AM
Originally posted by Graham
And this would mean? Pointy ears?

only after midnight...

Being an imaginary creature?

fingers crossed that this could happen tomorrow... (mock oral exam lasting two/three hours looms.... :tears: )

Having magical abilities?

depends who you ask.... :wink:

Wings?

only when I dance with you Graham... :wink:

Living in a toadstool? :wink:

Have you seen the state of some student flats???? :what:

Jayne