PDA

View Full Version : Song compilations for friends and lovers, your opinions please

Captain Fantastic
25th-April-2005, 10:03 PM
Song compilations for friends and lovers, your opinions please:
I done a few (two) and both times I laboured over the tracks each having a special meaning or message. The first one certainly made an impact but she never really understood the messages and importance of the tracks I selected and as the relationship was so intense and at the time a somewhat fragile the meanings never came out as nerves, shyness and fear got the better of me. The second I haven't given yet so this time I'm not writing the names of the tracks but the reason for the track so she will understand why I’ve picked them, and the underlying meaning of the song, rather then this sounds good here’s a copy. Now, Saying all this might sound silly as you'd know that a compilation given to you from a friend/ lover would have meaning, and you should take time to listen carefully to lyrics for the message being sent, Right? You’d think, but I was guilty of this crime of ignorance myself. A fantastic woman gave me a brilliant compilation that I listened to and really enjoyed, I enjoyed them for the songs they were but the thought never entered my head that there were signals being sent from her in each song and after listening to it for a while I re-ordered and removed tracks to the horror of my friend. I couldn't believe I'd been so thoughtless after I'd had it done to me! So this time, not so subtle right? Big labels to say "hay this is the meaning of this song" and "when I dance to this I think of you because...” On the other hand she is the one who gave me the comp and understood the unwritten meaning of making a compilation for some one, so would in theory instinctively know to read between the lines. Also I’ve got 15 songs on this list and I’m thinking that is fine. It’s MP3 but still I don’t think it’s worth detracting from these just to fill up the CD favouring quality not quantity. As I say, Opinions please.

foxylady
25th-April-2005, 11:55 PM
Song compilations for friends and lovers, your opinions please:
I done a few (two) and both times I laboured over the tracks each having a

/snip

As I say, Opinions please.

Punctuation and phrasing please... I can read close written text in a book, but it is devilish hard on a computer screen.

A few paragraphs,
new lines,

and breaks makes the text more easily understood and digested.

Having tried to wade my way through I guess the question you are asking is will she realise you love her (admire her/ want to go to bed with her/ or whatever) without you actually saying so ???

No.!

CJ
26th-April-2005, 12:02 AM
What an incredibly difficult post to read!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :eek:

If I understand you correctly. You made one compilation which was then edited by ignorant girl: a crime you perpetrated upon a compilation given to you by the soon to be recipient of your second, new, compilation.

So, if this IS the case, I'd make the compilation, however short, with names of artists and titles with an overall title to the CD as "Righting My Wrongs" or something such like and see how that goes.

Only an opinion, but that's what you asked for... :waycool:

Lory
26th-April-2005, 12:02 AM
Having tried to wade my way through I guess the question you are asking is will she realise you love her (admire her/ want to go to bed with her/ or whatever) without you actually saying so ???

No.!
Ouch Foxy! So Harsh!

You can't knock the boy for trying to be romantic :devil: :wink:

I'd love it if someone went to the trouble of hand picking a list of songs and making a CD for me, knowing my luck it'd consist of titles like....

Roll out the Barrel and Shutupa ya face! :rolleyes: :tears:

Captain Fantastic
26th-April-2005, 01:12 AM
:blush: er sorry for the repeat, this has been moved. please view the new tread. :waycool:

Captain Fantastic
26th-April-2005, 01:46 AM
Ok, that's just evil. Let a new comer write posts then move it so they can't reply to the new thread.

Please forward to new thread... (And if the administrator would do the honours with the permission :waycool: )

Well she knows how I feel it’s just we give each other a CD’s every now and again and it might just seem like another “here you go mate” thing. The thing I’ve trying to get across is that this compilation embraces emotions that I have for her, and she for me. The songs are about us and I want to leave her in no doubt that I do feel that why about her and not that I just pick some songs I like. Blah blah blah…

New paragraph

You got it Jock, now I know you’re a DJ so you’re gonna want the song names on the cover but I wanna run this by you, as a non DJ:

CD cover with ALL the lyrics (the same as my incredibly difficult to read post with no line brakes or paragraph breaks) and then on the back numbered 1-15 one liners about the reason the song was picked and why it is special (with line breaks). Then when you want to pick the track to listen to you have to read the reasons to find the track. Therefore associating the track not with its name but the connection it has between us.

Jock…?

P.S I like the “righting my wrongs” that’s good. I’ll play with that…

David Bailey
26th-April-2005, 08:13 AM
I'd love it if someone went to the trouble of hand picking a list of songs and making a CD for me, knowing my luck it'd consist of titles like....

Roll out the Barrel and Shutupa ya face! :rolleyes: :tears:
And of course, "Every Breath You Take..." :whistle:

OK, I'll shut up about it now...

Nick M
26th-April-2005, 10:29 AM
will she realise you love her (admire her/ want to go to bed with her/ or whatever) without you actually saying so ???

No.!

Ahh, but even if a man doesn't think that way, a woman may assume the songs have a hidden message.

After being painfully dumped some years ago, I innocently sent the lady a copy of Shania Twain's "Come on Over", because that's the sort of music she likes. She was furious. She thought it was a coded message because the song titles say

"You're still the one"
"From this moment on"
"I wont leave you lonely"
"I'm holding on to love"
"Come on over"

and so on!

cheeks
26th-April-2005, 10:58 AM
Ahh, but even if a man doesn't think that way, a woman may assume the songs have a hidden message.

After being painfully dumped some years ago, I innocently sent the lady a copy of Shania Twain's "Come on Over", because that's the sort of music she likes. She was furious. She thought it was a coded message because the song titles say

"You're still the one"
"From this moment on"
"I'm holding on to love"
"Come on over"

and so on!

Now possibly after the way in which she painfully dumped you are you sure you were not trying to tell her something or found yourself looking for something that no longer existed.......... :hug:

David Bailey
26th-April-2005, 11:07 AM
It's a well-known fact that, post-dumpage, all songs suddenly develop previously-unnoticed deep meanings. Because most modern pop songs "deal with" love / loss, all the lyrics suddenly become very depressing...

My advice? - Stick to salsa tracks, they're all in Spanish :)

Unless the person actually is Spanish of course...

cheeks
26th-April-2005, 11:31 AM

"You're still the one"
"From this moment on"
"I'm holding on to love"
"Come on over"

and so on!

Now possibly after the way in which she painfully dumped you are you sure you were not trying to tell her something or found yourself looking for something that no longer existed.......... :hug:

I only ever recieved a compilation when i was in my teens so did not read in to it.
:blush: i did make a compilation cd once but chose to keep it for myself :whistle: as it expressed my mood as well as my emotional well being at that time my life, and I guess gives me strength at times.(I know basins at the ready,) it was a good CD well I think so..

Title: Just Because I can!

The Right Kind of wrong-Leann Rimes
The Chokin Kind- Joss Stone
Turn me on- Norah Jones
Everybody Hurts- REM
Blowers Daughter-Damien Rice
Vincent-Don McLean
Look through your eyes- Leann Rimes
Amie- Damien Rice
Freedom- David Gray
For the love of you-Joss Stone
How do I live- Leann Rimes
The other side- David Gray
Please remember-Leann Rimes

oops just realised ......titles don't sound great but the lyrics do... :blush:

Although recieving something that someone has put so much of themselves into................would be lovely :hug:personally I feel, if you want to tell someone something so important you need to follow the gesture with actons and words..

Or maybe I'm just a hopeless romantic at heart...... :tears:

:flower:

David Bailey
26th-April-2005, 11:38 AM
Nick Hornby's take on creating compilation CDs (or tapes) is good in High Fidelity - it's similar to the view of a foot massage as expressed in Pulp Fiction.

In other words, they're never just compilation CDs, there's usually a message / subtext there...

cheeks
26th-April-2005, 11:45 AM
Nick Hornby's take on creating compilation CDs (or tapes) is good in High Fidelity - it's similar to the view of a foot massage as expressed in Pulp Fiction.

In other words, they're never just compilation CDs, there's usually a message / subtext there...

that I do agree with which is why I kept my cd for myself....... :blush:

Lory
26th-April-2005, 01:12 PM
Gulp, :really: looks I'm in big trouble then, I've lost count the amount of friends I've made compilations for! :what:

Hey! just thought, that's a great excuse for next time someone asks me, sorry I can't make you one, you might read something into it! :devil: :wink:

Lynn
26th-April-2005, 01:28 PM
There can be different meanings in a compiliation is made as a romantic gesture - it can be 'there is a message for you in these lyrics' - or it can be 'this is what I like to listen to, do you like it too?'. To a certain extent the music we like to listen to can say something about us as a person so there is that message also in any compilation - and in a way that is perhaps deeper than the lyrics having a message.

Sheepman
26th-April-2005, 02:01 PM
The Right Kind of wrong-Leann Rimes
Look through your eyes- Leann Rimes
Freedom- David Gray
How do I live- Leann Rimes
The other side- David Gray
Please remember-Leann Rimes If someone did me a compilation with 2 David Gray tracks, and 4 Leann Rimes, I'd hope to God it was post dumping, because I'd know we could never be a match!!

For a loved one, I reckon the best way is to give the CD a meaningful title, but don't include any playlist (you can always add that later). Then each track has to be a discovery as it reveals it's message.

But if it's for a friend, and if Nick Hornby is right, I suppose we should be very careful not to include tracks with meanings, as they will be misinterpreted. Tricky, because there's some damn fine meaningful music out there.

Greg

cheeks
26th-April-2005, 02:12 PM
If someone did me a compilation with 2 David Gray tracks, and 4 Leann Rimes, I'd hope to God it was post dumping, because I'd know we could never be a match!!
Greg

:rofl:
not post dumping but was for a friend who really liked those tracks!

I think everyone can read to much into things at times.....

:flower:

Zebra Woman
26th-April-2005, 02:23 PM
Gulp, :really: looks I'm in big trouble then, I've lost count the amount of friends I've made compilations for! :what:

Hey! just thought, that's a great excuse for next time someone asks me, sorry I can't make you one, you might read something into it! :devil: :wink:

OMG!!

You sent me the sexiest track I've ever heard .....

'Come On Closer'

And we're sharing a room at Camber :eek:

I have given and received a few compilation CD's. I spend hours choosing the tracks and then getting the order right. But the tracks are there for musical reasons not hidden messages. I'm the kind of person who doesn't look for deeper meaning unless specifically instructed to do so :wink: .

Lory
26th-April-2005, 02:33 PM
You sent me the sexiest track I've ever heard .....

'Come On Closer'

And we're sharing a room at Camber :eek:

:yum: :wink: :whistle:

Zebra Woman
26th-April-2005, 03:00 PM

:drool: :wink: :whistle:

Well ...You have got the best....

'New Ipod In Ceroc'

:rofl:

I'm sure you will have a playlist available for every occasion...we can even do 'the shuffle'.

:devil:

David Bailey
26th-April-2005, 03:25 PM
You hussies!! :eek:

That's almost enough to tempt me to go to Camber (now there's something I thought I'd never see myself type...)

CJ
27th-April-2005, 02:49 AM
I wanna run this by you, as a non DJ:

CD cover with ALL the lyrics (the same as my incredibly difficult to read post with no line brakes or paragraph breaks) and then on the back numbered 1-15 one liners about the reason the song was picked and why it is special (with line breaks). Then when you want to pick the track to listen to you have to read the reasons to find the track. Therefore associating the track not with its name but the connection it has between us.

Jock…?

P.S I like the “righting my wrongs” that’s good. I’ll play with that…

Well, my natural preference is not to give too much away, yet still give lots. Information gleaned is twice as rewarding as information given!!

So, if I felt the need to give lyrics and one liners, I'd give that 7-10 days after the disc with titles/artists.

That way: she has the information on the tracks so she can differentiate if she wants to analyse a single song. Also, I imagine she'll know a compilation is never just a compilation so I imagine she will analyse.

THEN

once she's had a while to have her own thoughts, reflections maybe, you hit her with the info booklet. :wink: Thus, as well as her own thoughts, she gets yours too!! Are they compatible thought patterns?!?!?!??!? :eek:

Do send me a PM letting me know how it goes....