PDA

View Full Version : What women wear...

David Bailey
21st-April-2005, 07:03 PM
From the dumbing-down thread (http://www.cerocscotland.com/forum/showpost.php?p=116522&postcount=9):

:rofl: :rofl:

Maybe this could be a new thread......along the lines of 'what we wear gives the impression that....'?Well, and why not...

Women's dance wear: As I've said, I'm sometimes guilty of judging a book by it's cover, and assuming a certain level of experience goes with a certain set of clothes - I also then feel (probably unjustifiably and unfairly) a mite miffed if my expectations aren't met when I dance with someone, if there's a mismatch between my expectations and reality. I.e. if they're not as "good as they look" - if they're better than they look, wa-hey :)

The inverse also applies, in that I sometimes don't ask someone to dance because they don't look like they can - of course, it's a pleasant surprise when they turn out to be World Champion 2001-2005 and just slumming it.

So:
- Is this just me being superficial and dumb?
- Do others judge by dress code? If so, what criteria do you use?
- What do you like / dislike women to wear (for dancing, that is!)

Clive has already given an opinion (http://www.cerocscotland.com/forum/showpost.php?p=116979&postcount=17), anyone else want to weigh in?

El Salsero Gringo
21st-April-2005, 07:19 PM
Oooh, if only one could post anonymously on this thread....

foxylady
21st-April-2005, 07:51 PM
Oooh, if only one could post anonymously on this thread....

log out and then you can ! but we'll know now that its you...

Andreas
21st-April-2005, 08:53 PM
I certainly do like sexy dresses but whenever I see a girl in one I become VERY sceptical. (we are talking dancing here :rofl: )

As opposed to judging them as great dancers I instantly look at their footwork, foot positions, step width, tidy technique etc.. The rest becomes somehow secondary at that point and I only start later to look at it. It is kind of trying subconciously to determine which dance style they actually come from. Usually you can tell relatively easily, though, mostly I am not too impressed and lose all interest, which is kind of strange. So essentially it would appear as though girls in great outfits do have not as good a chance of me wanting to dance with them because I tax their abilities harsher.

Gotta love subtleness :flower:

Mary
21st-April-2005, 09:41 PM
So all us ladies out there are now wondering what dance messages we are conveying in what we wear.

Is it the sparklyness, the strappiness, the skimpiness, the siren-ness. I love sparkly but I always make sure it's a) stretchy and b) it stays in place.

Can't speak for any other ladies, but I find it impossible to assess a man's dance/lead ability by his dress (not puns in reply please!). Apart from men who wear zoot suit trousers are not likely to be beginners.

I have to agree with Andreas about ladies who wear dresses and sport fantastic legs - as an observer I am more aware of the precision of their footwork (apologies for swearing on the forum), and leg position. I think I can stand a lot more improvement in that area before I get my legs out too often - although I will take a chance and wear them at the champs!!! :sick:

What do other ladies think their dancewear conveys about them? Apart from Lily who can wear a dustbin liner and you can still tell she's a fantastic dancer :worthy:

M

foxylady
21st-April-2005, 10:03 PM
What do other ladies think their dancewear conveys about them? Apart from Lily who can wear a dustbin liner and you can still tell she's a fantastic dancer :worthy:

M

:yeah: and its sickening !! I only wish I could look as good and dance as well.....

and yes it has got me wondering...... I have noticed that when I wear a dress I get asked less often... Also the more cleavage get out the less I get asked (which to me seems completely back to front, but hey ! I'm not a bloke)...

Perhaps some kind chap out there could explain.... :wink: :eek: :wink:

David Bailey
21st-April-2005, 10:39 PM
and yes it has got me wondering...... I have noticed that when I wear a dress I get asked less often... Also the more cleavage get out the less I get asked

Perhaps it's that us men are simple creatures, we can only think of one thing at a time. Or, putting it another way, we only have enough blood supply for one major organ at a time, and in dancing, we need to use our brains :)

Or perhaps we're just scared off ... :blush:

foxylady
21st-April-2005, 10:45 PM
Or perhaps we're just scared off ... :blush:

I have been told that I'm scary.... but I'm not as scary as Sal !!

Andreas
21st-April-2005, 10:56 PM
:yeah: and its sickening !! I only wish I could look as good and dance as well.....

and yes it has got me wondering...... I have noticed that when I wear a dress I get asked less often... Also the more cleavage get out the less I get asked (which to me seems completely back to front, but hey ! I'm not a bloke)...

Ya poor thing :rofl: :rofl: :hug:

Gadget
21st-April-2005, 11:57 PM
What about non-appropriate attire for the ladies?
I have found that these loose string vest over-shirts to be a trap for fingers.
Metal link belts are just nasty for any hip lead or blocking moves.
Dangly fronds may look cool and emphisise movement, but are also a potential finger trap.
Big flowing skirts are sometimes hit and miss; depends on what happens when the lady spins in them- some seem to wrap themselves round my legs.
If a skirt is relativly close fitting (and not stretchy) it can prevent some closer moves or lunges
Sequins are a really strange texture and are quite uncomfortable for any contact lead on a sequined area.
An explosion of zips and metal bits have also been known to catch my sleves any time I wear a shirt rather than a T-shirt.

philsmove
22nd-April-2005, 08:33 AM
I can’t help but notice ladies who ware those fabulous ra ra skits (or what ever they are called) are always good at spinning

philsmove
22nd-April-2005, 08:36 AM
What about non-appropriate attire for the ladies?
]

That sparkly stuff that comes off, on my cars nice black upholstery, on the way to the dance :angry: :rofl: :sad:

David Franklin
22nd-April-2005, 10:16 AM
What about non-appropriate attire for the ladies?How about this (http://www.dancewear.com.au/Blackpool2004/Saturday29thMay/U21_Latin/pages/U21-Lat0125.htm)? (Warning: possibly not work safe?).

What was she thinking? In fact, was she thinking?

David Bailey
22nd-April-2005, 10:43 AM
How about this (http://www.dancewear.com.au/Blackpool2004/Saturday29thMay/U21_Latin/pages/U21-Lat0125.htm)? (Warning: possibly not work safe?).

On behalf of all of us, can I just say "EWWWWW" :sick: :sick: :sick:

Poor woman, immortalised in that way...
Oh, and :rofl: :rofl: of course :)

Mary
22nd-April-2005, 10:53 AM
How about this (http://www.dancewear.com.au/Blackpool2004/Saturday29thMay/U21_Latin/pages/U21-Lat0125.htm)? (Warning: possibly not work safe?).

She MUST be wearing flesh-coloured knickeers................musn't she?
:sick:

Big knickers every time............after all BTC likes 'em. :D

M

CJ
22nd-April-2005, 11:24 AM
How about this (http://www.dancewear.com.au/Blackpool2004/Saturday29thMay/U21_Latin/pages/U21-Lat0125.htm)?

Well, well, well.... Argintinians have tango and Brazilians do latin!! :D :blush: Tell me she's wearing flesh pants....

Anyway, back on topic:

If I'm dancing socially (which to be fair isn't often, being a humble DJ type) I tend not to ask what I would term "glamsters." I feel that those that have made the effort to look all glammed up generally get their fair share of dances so I'm happier to ask those on the side.

I may be miles off the mark with this wild assumption, but there we have it...

Sheepman
22nd-April-2005, 12:13 PM
And how about this one (http://www.dancewear.com.au/Blackpool2004/Saturday29thMay/U21_Latin/pages/U21-Lat0260.htm) . Like the outfit, shame about the accident with the fake tan though!

Greg

Sheepman
22nd-April-2005, 02:03 PM
Oh my God! Looks like this (http://www.dancewear.com.au/Blackpool2004/Friday28thMay/Pro_RS_Latin/pages/PRS-Lat0273.htm) must have been in the Intergalactic Open Competition!

Shall I stop with these now?

Greg

David Bailey
22nd-April-2005, 03:22 PM
Shall I stop with these now?
Yes, it started out as a nice cultured thread, you oik you... :)
Actually, they are pretty interesting pix - but what does "Professional Rising Star" mean as a title? Is she going to turn into a giant flaming ball of gas? Sounds a bit dangerous to me, of course I'm no expert :whistle:

jivecat
22nd-April-2005, 05:04 PM

She's obviously Action Man's girlfriend - made of pink plastic and has no genitals.

jivecat
22nd-April-2005, 05:16 PM
I think I get MORE dances if I'm wearing a skirt, especially if it's a swirly knicker-revealing one of the type admired by Philsmove. I've always thought it was because skirts help to project an image of doe-eyed femininity. And guys like to see a flash of knicker.

Ha ha, little do they know! Apparently, I'm scary too, Foxylady. Ssnaarrll!!

Tops with annoying features like slippy straps, bits that ride up or dig in get pensioned off quick. Nothing worse than failing to follow a move because I'm sorting my clothing out with my free hand. Though I have known the same problem to apply to blokes wearing braces.

Good list Gadget. I tend to avoid crocheted type tops with holes in them. Could equally apply to guys wearing string vests, though these are thankfully few in number.

Ballroom queen
22nd-April-2005, 07:08 PM
What about non-appropriate attire for the ladies? [list]
Metal link belts are just nasty for any hip lead or blocking moves.

Can I politely suggest some non-appropriate attire for the men?

Anything in their pockets. :rofl: Now Now, I am being serious :innocent: . Its not nice being led into a lean to find the guys have wallet / mobile phone / keys in thier pockets!!! And especially for those of us at nose quins - in the ballroom hold you need body contact, and keys etc in the guys right pocket is not nice.

Thank you boys. :hug:

David Bailey
22nd-April-2005, 08:22 PM

Anything in their pockets. :rofl: Now Now, I am being serious :innocent: . Its not nice being led into a lean to find the guys have wallet / mobile phone / keys in thier pockets!!! And especially for those of us at nose quins - in the ballroom hold you need body contact, and keys etc in the guys right pocket is not nice.

Thank you boys. :hug:
OK, fine, I can take a hint (http://www.cerocscotland.com/forum/showthread.php?t=5051&highlight=pockets+thing). I'll have you know I've been cold-turkeying the past few weeks, handkerchief and back-pocket wallet only.

(I knew if I didn't post this, ESG would.)

Ballroom queen
22nd-April-2005, 09:35 PM
OK, fine, I can take a hint (http://www.cerocscotland.com/forum/showthread.php?t=5051&highlight=pockets+thing). I'll have you know I've been cold-turkeying the past few weeks, handkerchief and back-pocket wallet only.

(I knew if I didn't post this, ESG would.)

Thank you!!! :clap: Lets hope the rest of the guys join you lot! :cheers:

frodo
23rd-April-2005, 12:23 AM

Might be more practical to simply avoid left side leans / hip bumps etc.

On topic, where I had to make a choice I'd generally prefer a lady who looks like they've made an effort regardless of the specific dancewear used ( providing they weren't scary ).

Women's dance wear I'd prefer to avoid - tops that aren't primarily fabric where my hand needs to go, and silk where it is hot.

Ballroom queen
23rd-April-2005, 09:19 AM
Might be more practical to simply avoid left side leans / hip bumps etc.

I don't get that comment. :confused: Why avoid certain steps when you can just empty you pockets? :confused: Anyway, this won't work if you have a correct ballroom hold (for those guys going to nosequins)

Yliander
23rd-April-2005, 12:06 PM
(for those guys going to nosequins)
:confused: what is this?

the first time i read it thought it was a typo but now you have used it a second time so it must mean something ... but what???

El Salsero Gringo
23rd-April-2005, 12:13 PM

the first time i read it thought it was a typo but now you have used it a second time so it must mean something ... but what???This (http://www.strictlynosequins.com), also discussed on the Forum here (http://www.cerocscotland.com/forum/showthread.php?t=4748) amongst other places.

Rhythm King
23rd-April-2005, 12:17 PM

the first time i read it thought it was a typo but now you have used it a second time so it must mean something ... but what???

Strictly No Sequins, the Ceroc Ballroom and Latin night, referred to as nose-quins - geddit? :wink:

frodo
25th-April-2005, 12:51 AM
I don't get that comment. :confused: Why avoid certain steps when you can just empty you pockets? :confused: Anyway, this won't work if you have a correct ballroom hold (for those guys going to nosequins)
Simply that items in pockets tend to be less easily lost than those in a dance bag. The extra security may in some cases be worth the loss of a few moves.

I should have said 'leader left side' lean - therefore right pocket empty, so OK for nosequins ? :)

I suppose it must be harder for ladies not to empty their pockets though, partly due to a possible lack of pockets ( nod to thread ), and partly due to having less choice on moves to leave out.

David Bailey
25th-April-2005, 08:48 AM
Simply that items in pockets tend to be less easily lost than those in a dance bag. The extra security may in some cases be worth the loss of a few moves.

I should have said 'leader left side' lean - therefore right pocket empty, so OK for nosequins ? :)

Or, in my case, the discomfort of my partner. To be fair, all my hard things (ooer missus) like phone and keys were in my left pocket of course, and I kept hankie / flannel stuff in my right, so I don't think there was too much pain.

But I'm now a reformed character of course, leaving phone and most other junk in car. I don't feel comfortable leaving any valuable things in bags, even though I've never had a problem in MJ. I've had a few things liberated from my bag in salsa though, obviously MJ people are nicer :)

I suppose it must be harder for ladies not to empty their pockets though, partly due to a possible lack of pockets ( nod to thread ), and partly due to having less choice on moves to leave out.
Yes, why is it that girls trousers don't have pockets - they're great! Or is it a cunning conspiracy by the Dark Lords of Clothing to sell more handbags?

ducasi
25th-April-2005, 08:59 AM
Yes, why is it that girls trousers don't have pockets - they're great! Or is it a cunning conspiracy by the Dark Lords of Clothing to sell more handbags? The real reason why women's clothes don't have pockets. (http://monster-island.org/tinashumor/humor/pockets.html) :wink:

David Bailey
25th-April-2005, 11:55 AM
The real reason why women's clothes don't have pockets. (http://monster-island.org/tinashumor/humor/pockets.html) :wink:
ARGHHH - YOU TOLD THEM :tears:

Ballroom queen
25th-April-2005, 08:35 PM

:clap: :clap: :yeah:

stewart38
26th-April-2005, 02:04 PM
As opposed to judging them as great dancers I instantly look at their footwork, foot positions, step width, tidy technique etc.. The rest becomes somehow secondary at that point and I only start later to look at it. It is kind of trying subconciously to determine which dance style they actually come from. Usually you can tell relatively easily, though, mostly I am not too impressed and lose all interest, which is kind of strange. So essentially it would appear as though girls in great outfits do have not as good a chance of me wanting to dance with them because I tax their abilities harsher.

Gotta love subtleness :flower:

Of course then you dismiss her and find the gimp from the black lagoon dressed in running seedweed. Ill dance with the girls in the great looking dresses (Im a man and proud of being shallow :grin: )

El Salsero Gringo
26th-April-2005, 05:12 PM
the gimp from the black lagoon dressed in running seedweed.Oi. If you diss my mate Clive one more time I shall have to ask you to step outside. (http://www.cerocscotland.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=23) (And for the record, he scrubs up quite well if you ask him nicely.)

Clive Long
26th-April-2005, 06:49 PM
the gimp from the black lagoon dressed in running seedweed.

Oi. If you diss my mate Clive one more time I shall have to ask you to step outside. (http://www.cerocscotland.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=23) (And for the record, he scrubs up quite well if you ask him nicely.)
:rofl: :rofl: :rofl:
As my mother used to say "if you can't be liked, at least be noticed"

CRL xxxxx