PDA

View Full Version : The First Move and variations...

Wendy
21st-April-2005, 10:33 AM
There is no such thing as a boring move IMO and started thinking about dancing a whole track to the First Move... I believe it could be very very interesting...

So let your creative juices flow and tell me all the different things YOU can do with a First Move.

Wxxx

Lynn
21st-April-2005, 10:51 AM
I can think of a few of my styling things I sometimes do...eg 'graceful' sweep round with my left arm to place on man's shoulder, a ronde with my right foot on the turn out, and I notice that I don't always turn completely back in and sometimes do some sort of triple steps thingies (if the music asks for it) on my way to the turn (no idea where I got those from :rofl: footwork variations often just 'appear' in my dancing without much conscious thought). Maybe a slower turn (again if the music asks for it) with a wiggle...Can't think of anything else at the moment but they are things I do while still keeping the timing and still (more or less) following the lead for a basic First Move.

It will be interesting to see what sort of lead variations people have.

azande
21st-April-2005, 11:05 AM
There is no such thing as a boring move IMO and started thinking about dancing a whole track to the First Move... I believe it could be very very interesting...

So let your creative juices flow and tell me all the different things YOU can do with a First Move.

Wxxx
I'll show you next time we dance! ;) And anyway, you know that it is one of my favorite moves... :innocent:

Dancing Teeth
21st-April-2005, 11:12 AM

Wxxx

Hahh... The firstmove.. I tell you.. This is the most exciting move ever in MJ, I get excited everytime I teach it.. What would MJ be without it.... I love it, love it, love it... :clap: :clap: :clap: There is so much you can do with it...the list is endless... :waycool:

Gus
21st-April-2005, 11:23 AM
Hahh... The firstmove.. I tell you.. This is the most exciting move ever in MJ, I get excited everytime I teach it.. What would MJ be without it.... I love it, love it, love it... :clap: :clap: :clap: There is so much you can do with it...the list is endless... :waycool:An epihany in dance in the North West occured when Viktor taught his variations on the First Move from 1999 to 2002. :worthy: :worthy: This styling had a huge impact on how dancers and (more importantly) instructors looked at basic moves. I've 'borrowed' Viktor's teaching and used it to great effect in a series of style workshops.

I think most dancers could make a marked improvement if they saw what can be achieved. The First Move gives so many options for changes in dynamics, speed and style that it pains me to see it regarded as 'just' a beginner move.

Gadget
21st-April-2005, 01:16 PM
The First Move gives so many options for changes in dynamics, speed and style that it pains me to see it regarded as 'just' a beginner move.Could the same not be said for any beginner move? {except the in & out of course. :whistle:} I was under the impression that this was a primary factor for classing a move as a "beginner" move?

The first move has four counts to it. I can think on ten physical variations that could happen on each count.(don't ask: I did actually work through and count them) That gives fourty moves. 120bpm song lasting 3 min gives 180 counts which is roughly right considering that varying the move will change the counts. That's without any timing or styling variations.

Thing is, the first move is loosley based on a ballroom hold - it almost feels like cheating coming up with variations on it. :sick:

Lynn
21st-April-2005, 01:27 PM
What would MJ be without it.... I love it, love it, love it... :clap: :clap: :clap: :yeah: Me too! And I know I still have a lot to learn... maybe someone could run a 'first move variations' workshop at a weekender sometime.

Gus
21st-April-2005, 01:28 PM
.....I did actually work through and count themGadget .... you need to get out more ... trust me! :wink:

El Salsero Gringo
21st-April-2005, 01:55 PM
I can think on ten physical variations that could happen on each count.(don't ask: I did actually work through and count them) That gives fourty moves.Only if the variations are all mutually exclusive. If you're prepared to combine one of ten on each of four beats, you get 10,000 variations.

Wendy
21st-April-2005, 02:31 PM
Great stuff !!! And having people like Viktor and Gus and Azande in my thread.... what can I say...... :waycool: :D :worthy: :flower:

I think using purely the First Move could teach us sooo much (and indeed, Gadget, I expect you could do that with any beginner move.... I just chose the First Move cos it is called the "First Move" and personally I can think of a few variations and I find that harder to do with, say, the yoyo... and easier to imagine breaks than with a move like a catapault (have never paid attention to the spelling of that !!!)...)...

It's such a pity IMO that Beginners go from "mastering" the beginner moves to learning pretty complicated combinations of moves in the Intermediate class.. most of which will be binned by most dancers as soon as freestyle starts - yeah I know my broken record isn't fixed!... If only we could all get half an hour with Viktor or Gus or DavidB reviewing the First Move.. what a real difference that would make.

Wxxx

Wendy
21st-April-2005, 02:52 PM
[QUOTE=Wendy]If only we could all get half an hour with Viktor or Gus or DavidB reviewing the First Move.. what a real difference that would make./QUOTE] Clearly half an hour with ANY teacher on the First Move would be great.. I was just letting my imagination run a little wild for a minute.... :innocent:

Wxxx

clevedonboy
21st-April-2005, 03:04 PM
Jiveoholics.com has about 600 moves - listed 80+ are first move variants, just shows what a handy move it is really

Wendy
21st-April-2005, 03:38 PM
Jiveoholics.com has ...80+ first move variants, just shows what a handy move it is really Wow !!!!!!!

Wxxx

Yogi_Bear
21st-April-2005, 04:28 PM
I've always considered the First Move to be the most important move in all of MJ, partly because it is relatively easy to learn and partly because of the inordinate number of variations possible at all levels from beginner to advanced. I like to innovate and develop my own - hopefully these can be led and followed. Dancing to a whole track using only FMs and variants should be rewarding and not that difficult - there are options for returns, travelling returns and so on to consider as well.

Wendy
21st-April-2005, 05:10 PM
I can think of a few firsts with the First Move and you never forget the first time :wink:

It's when I first became aware of my spare arm..(and you can spot my Tuesday girls doing wonderful things with theirs :waycool: ).... and the triple step... and slowing things down .. in fact I think this was the only move a mate taught me when I lived in France.. I soo wanted to dance like that and was never able to learn... funny world...

Wxxx

clevedonboy
21st-April-2005, 05:51 PM
It's when I first became aware of my spare arm..(and you can spot my Tuesday girls doing wonderful things with theirs :waycool: )

Wxxx

OOOOO ... please tell what do they do with their handbag hand? (no need to get too graphic :blush: )

Dance Demon
21st-April-2005, 06:04 PM
Hey Wendy........how about the First Move with return and into a one handed seducer, ending with the lady being lowered gently onto the floor......you know the one I mean :blush: :blush: :rofl: :rofl:

Yogi_Bear
21st-April-2005, 09:42 PM
I understand that Jo and Trish Sewell once taught a musicality class where people had to dance to Hey Big Spender.....using only the first moVe....

Yogi_Bear
21st-April-2005, 09:44 PM
This is an open invitation to any female forumites going to Southport or camber sands to dance an entire track to just the first move and first move variants... :waycool:

Gadget
21st-April-2005, 11:44 PM
This is an open invitation to any female forumites going to Southport or camber sands to dance an entire track to just the first move and first move variants... :waycool:
come on.. at least make it a challenge: the "in and out" with variants.

I'm sure that Franck could come up with just as many comb variants.

Only if the variations are all mutually exclusive. If you're prepared to combine one of ten on each of four beats, you get 10,000 variations.You can't - once it's been mutated, you seldom come back to be able to complete the move... although... Can moves that end in a first move "ballroom hold" be classed as a first move variant? if so, then that number would raise to the power of ten! :what:

Gadget .... you need to get out more ... trust me! :wink:I tried...:tears: but my pass didn't get stamped and I had to pay penance for weeks afterwords. :( {I've got a weekend pass this weekend tho :clap::clap: yeaaa! wooo! :D}