PDA

View Full Version : Ballroom... first impressions.. yikes !!!!!

Wendy
15th-April-2005, 05:18 PM
Just phoned a number in my local paper advertising ballroom for beginners.. as I think this could only be good for my dancing ....

Jeez !!!!

I explained I was a Taxi dancer at CEROC (and so couldn't go on a Tuesday) and he tutted that "all sorts teach these days" and "I hope you won't be teaching what you learn in our classes".. "we are a member of some guild or other and would be chucked out if we didn't do things properly" bla de bla..... and "ceroc is fine but not for weddings"...Getting a bit fed up, I assured him I had been to weddings where I COULD dance CEROC to every track... :mad:

He lectured on about Latin not being ballroom and categories and stuff that was of no interest as I'm a total beginner and couldn't really care if the cha cha cha is ballroom or latin :sick:

Basically he was a snooty snobby up his own wotsit so-and-so and if he is the teacher I doubt if I'll even go. He sounded like a judgemental prat and pretty much put me off the idea altogether.

I wonder if he is a one-off or is the world of ballroom so stuck up and pompous ????

Having experienced how friendly Cerocland is I was really taken aback !!! So hugs to all CEROC teachers and taxis who make it a welcoming, supportive and friendly place to learn to dance !!!

:flower: :hug: :kiss: :clap: :hug: :kiss: :flower:

Wxxx

MartinHarper
15th-April-2005, 05:28 PM
Having experienced how friendly Cerocland is...

Because cerocers NEVER look down on other dance styles!
Especially popular ones like line dancing and nightclub dancing!
*grin*

David Bailey
15th-April-2005, 05:30 PM
I wonder if he is a one-off or is the world of ballroom so stuck up and pompous ????

No, it's not - there are some lovely ballroom teachers out there. And of course, there are some awful MJ teachers and dancers.

But there's probably more formal snobbery in Ballroom, the snobbish ones have got more rules to hide behind ... :)

All dance scenes have cliques and snobbery - but I'm sure you can find a good ballroom teacher. And :clap: to you for looking to improve, of course, wish I had the time myself...

Wendy
15th-April-2005, 05:44 PM
*grin* Possibly.... but I would hope that none of us would ever make someone feel uncomfortable about taking up ceroc whatever their background... and certainly not in the first 5 minutes of contact.

Wx

Wendy
15th-April-2005, 05:49 PM
No, it's not - there are some lovely ballroom teachers out there. And of course, there are some awful MJ teachers and dancers.

All dance scenes have cliques and snobbery - but I'm sure you can find a good ballroom teacher. I am sure there are some lovely ones ... and yes, I know a few charmers in mj who would be better suited to working in a morgue so they couldn't offend their clients..... :sick:

I might even give this guy a try and do a Ducassi-style diary....

Wxxx

TheTramp
15th-April-2005, 06:00 PM
*grin*
Uh huh. I didn't get the impression that Wendy was looking down on Ballroom at all. In fact, seems to me that she wants to go learn it.

My impression was that she was less than impressed by the person she spoke to, rather than the dance itself. Which is a completely different thing....

ducasi
15th-April-2005, 06:01 PM
I might even give this guy a try and do a Ducassi-style diary... While you'll never* see me in a ballroom dance class, I look forward to reading about your experiences. :flower:

* I know, never say never...

Wendy
15th-April-2005, 06:26 PM
Uh huh. I didn't get the impression that Wendy was looking down on Ballroom at all. In fact, seems to me that she wants to go learn it. Think MH was just saying that some cerocers can be like the ballroom chap I was talking to...

And you are right.. I don't look down on ballroom at all although I think it can look "plastic" as can some "good" mj-ers IMO. I don't aspire to dancing like that. But then maybe that's what being better is ????

Wxxx

Ballroom queen
15th-April-2005, 06:59 PM
Just phoned a number in my local paper advertising ballroom for beginners.. as I think this could only be good for my dancing ....

Oh we are SO lucky in London to have nose quins www.strictlynosequins.co.uk and Hannes and Amy are So lovely. :clap: :clap: :worthy: :worthy:

You all need to pester Mike and Linda Ellard to do this all over the UK :clap: :clap:

David Bailey
15th-April-2005, 07:41 PM
I might even give this guy a try and do a Ducassi-style diary....
Great idea! We could do with more of those, I personally could do with more vicarious living :)

Wendy
15th-April-2005, 09:22 PM
Great idea! We could do with more of those, I personally could do with more vicarious living :) and for my sequel we could have "Confessions of a Lady Taxi" :innocent:

Wxxx

Wendy
15th-April-2005, 09:24 PM
Oh we are SO lucky in London to have nose quins www.strictlynosequins.co.uk and Hannes and Amy are So lovely. :clap: :clap: :worthy: :worthy:

You all need to pester Mike and Linda Ellard to do this all over the UK :clap: :clap: Tried to open this but only get that "cannot be displayed" nonsense...

Wxxx

DavidY
15th-April-2005, 09:54 PM
Tried to open this but only get that "cannot be displayed" nonsense...

WxxxI think it's a .com not a .co.uk. Try http://www.strictlynosequins.com :hug:

Ballroom queen
15th-April-2005, 10:02 PM
I think it's a .com not a .co.uk. Try http://www.strictlynosequins.com :hug:

oops, sorry, yes its a .com :blush:

Wendy
16th-April-2005, 12:19 AM
That looks fab !!!!

Wx

David Bailey
16th-April-2005, 10:27 AM
and for my sequel we could have "Confessions of a Lady Taxi" :innocent:
OK, I've now got an image of Robin Askwith (sp?) dancing ceroc in my mind, ewww. Thanks for that... :sick:

Graham
21st-April-2005, 10:01 PM
Obviously the ballroom teaching business must be booming if he can afford to be so patronising and negative to people who phone up enquiring about buying lessons from him.

Robin Askwith is the correct spelling. I'm looking for a dance - will you give me one? :wink:

David Bailey
21st-April-2005, 10:43 PM
Robin Askwith is the correct spelling. I'm looking for a dance - will you give me one? :wink:
So, has there been a "single entendres in dancing" thread before?

I just can't believe that one's slipped out :)

bobgadjet
22nd-April-2005, 10:31 AM
That looks fab !!!!

Wx
OH NYES Wendy, this is sure THE way to learn Ballroom and Latin.
I just wanted to learn the basics of the most popular forms of ballroom, was looking for ANY class that did ONLY that, and came across a similar response when I mentioned Modern Jive, Ceroc, and Line Dancing.

THEN CAME THE NOSEQUINS

WOW,
What impressed me the most, in the order on being impressed, was
The numebrs taking part
The enthusiasm of the beginners
The charm, talent and professionalism of the teachers
The enthusiasm of the accomplished dancers
The whole approach of the organisation.

Of course there are a few things that still have to be ironed out, but they are so insignificant I dont see any reason to mention them, so please ignore that last paragraph.

No, really, I do hope that the ballroom side of the Ceroc organisation does spread as, since the whole TV bit, the whole country could make the world of Ballroom look at teaching the masses how to get around the dancefloor and enjoy an evenings dancing, and not just how to win competitions.

If you really just want to learn the basics of ballroom and latin to a level that would make you enjoy an evening of "varied" dance more, then this is definately THE way, and THE place to do it.
If you get the urge to take things further, the teachers run prrivate lesson for the really dedicated, and workshops for those a little more serious about taking the dance a bit further.

I'm confident that this is THE way forward and hope to see classes of this ilk popping up all over the place, and maybe at a venue close to you also.

Well done Linda & Mike for taking the plunge. :worthy:

Stuart M
22nd-April-2005, 01:32 PM
and for my sequel we could have "Confessions of a Lady Taxi" :innocent:

Wxxx
Where is it then? I want to subscribe. Do the email notifications come under plain brown wrapper?

Ballroom queen
22nd-April-2005, 07:11 PM
OH YES Wendy, this is sure THE way to learn Ballroom and Latin.
.....snip...
THEN CAME THE NOSEQUINS

WOW,
What impressed me the most, in the order on being impressed, was
The numebrs taking part
The enthusiasm of the beginners
The charm, talent and professionalism of the teachers
The enthusiasm of the accomplished dancers
The whole approach of the organisation.

...snip...
I'm confident that this is THE way forward and hope to see classes of this ilk popping up all over the place, and maybe at a venue close to you also.

Well done Linda & Mike for taking the plunge. :worthy:

:yeah: :cheers: :yeah: :clap: :clap: