PDA

View Full Version : Where do you dance in front of a mirror at home?

JoC
15th-April-2005, 01:41 PM
Inspired by Melanie's technical class advice in Perth last night (enjoyed that a lot by the way! :flower: )... I wondered where people dance at home in front of mirrors, come on we all do it! (Don't we...?) Is it in the hall, the bedroom, the living room, the garage...?

I'm going to confess that I carry a full length mirror through to my living room, frequently, and dance like, well I'd say probably the bestest most sexiest dancer who ever was :rofl: , in front of it regularly. My neighbours kids who barge into my house often have already spotted it and asked, "what's that mirror for...?" and have probably duly taken word back to their parents... I can't remember if I confessed what it's for! (I have also since discovered that my curtains are slightly see through... :blush: :sick: :o ...so my secret will definitely be out)

Oh, while I'm confessing I also tried building a small dance floor in my living room from some leftover laminate flooring, bit slippy though :D .

Anyone else like to fess up?

MartinHarper
15th-April-2005, 01:46 PM
My bedroom wardrobe has mirrored doors, and I sometimes dance in front of that.

Dreadful Scathe
15th-April-2005, 01:51 PM
Ive never really thought of dancing in front of a mirror. In fact, when practicing for team events Ive often practiced in dance halls with a mirrored wall and i tend to ignore it. Not everyone does though, as some have trouble when we practice with no mirror at all.

Northants Girly
15th-April-2005, 01:52 PM
My living room floor has a nice smooth laminate on it so I sometimes roll back the rug and dance on it - with the curtains open - to the amusment of the neighbourhood kids!

My bedroom has mirrored wardrobes too - but it's never occured to me to dance in front of them . . . . ;)

Trish
15th-April-2005, 01:58 PM
I somtimes dance in front of the mirror in my bedroom, but worse than this, I dance in the loos at work! They have big mirrors and a tiled floor, which is ideal apart from if people decide to come in at that point!

Northants Girly
15th-April-2005, 02:01 PM
I somtimes dance in front of the mirror in my bedroom, but worse than this, I dance in the loos at work! They have big mirrors and a tiled floor, which is ideal apart from if people decide to come in at that point!We have a mirror in the lift at work . . . . :whistle:

Lynn
15th-April-2005, 02:08 PM
I have a full length mirror in the bedroom which I tend to stand in front of when drying my hair and yes would sometimes dance in front of that (even while drying my hair, recently been practising body isolations.)

Laminate floor in living room so sometimes have been known to dance there, must remember to close the curtains next time...

Anyone else been tempted by those big mirrors they have in some shop fitting rooms (eg New Look often have them)? A combination of that and a dancable track playing can be too much to resist! :blush:

Aleks
15th-April-2005, 02:16 PM
Anyone else been tempted by those big mirrors they have in some shop fitting rooms (eg New Look often have them)? A combination of that and a dancable track playing can be too much to resist! :blush:

All the time!
It's one of the criteria when buying something new - "what does this move like when I'm dancing in it?"

We have wooden floors throughout our place and when azande was still a beginner we would practice often, whichever room we were in. He still occasionally grabs my hand in the kitchen to practice a new move.

I must add, that we only own two small mirrors - so none of our practicing is watched by us (although we may have sneaky-peek neighbours :wink: ).

Lynn
15th-April-2005, 02:31 PM
All the time!
It's one of the criteria when buying something new - "what does this move like when I'm dancing in it?"Yes I remember buying a dress with a really full skirt, did a little spin in the fitting room - but when I actually wore it dancing I realised it spun out a lot further than I had expected! :blush: :rofl:

DianaS
15th-April-2005, 02:36 PM
I dance in the lounge and kitchen. ALex was brought into dance by watching us practicing, sitting with a list of moves on his lap and calling our the next one after we'd been to a workshop.
Mirrors I don't have :tears:

spindr
15th-April-2005, 08:52 PM
Hmmm, you could always try and use large (French) windows to get a sort of weak reflection when it's dark :)

SpinDr.

Gadget
15th-April-2005, 09:13 PM
:blush: that's mine - laminate floor in the living room, socks on, lights out and a music chanel on TV, watching reflection in patio doors.

Anyone use any props too? (towel or broom handle for me: muggle partner who beds down early)

Stuart
15th-April-2005, 11:34 PM
I tend to practice in the kitchen but without a mirror though. I'll have to try using the mop as an aid.

David Franklin
16th-April-2005, 12:03 AM
Hmmm, you could always try and use large (French) windows to get a sort of weak reflection when it's dark :)Done that, works quite well, actually! And we specifically chose a light fitting for that end of the room that's fairly flush to the ceiling to allow as much height as possible... :whistle:

Dave

Tiggerbabe
16th-April-2005, 12:08 AM
All the time!
It's one of the criteria when buying something new - "what does this move like when I'm dancing in it?"

Really? I've NEVER done that! :whistle: :whistle:

And Niall from Aberdeen has just the *best* kitchen for dancing in! - No mirrors though :wink:

Wendy
19th-April-2005, 06:03 PM
The one on the ceiling in the bedroom isn't any good cos there's no laminate flooring in there... :devil: ... kidding !!!

We have a decent-sized bay window in the lounge which is good but you can't see your feet.....

Wxxx

David Bailey
19th-April-2005, 07:05 PM
We have a decent-sized bay window in the lounge which is good but you can't see your feet.....
For me, that'd be an advantage :)

El Sacco Blanco
19th-April-2005, 07:32 PM
I tend to practice in the kitchen but without a mirror though. I'll have to try using the mop as an aid.

Sounds blimmin good to me!! Let us know how you get on with a double pretzel??

By the way..which way up do you have the mop? Floppy top up or hula skirt down? :wink:

ElaineB
19th-April-2005, 07:56 PM
I somtimes dance in front of the mirror in my bedroom, but worse than this, I dance in the loos at work! They have big mirrors and a tiled floor, which is ideal apart from if people decide to come in at that point!

Me too!!! :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: Not good being caught in a bodyroll is it! :blush:

Elaine

ElaineB
19th-April-2005, 07:58 PM

And what about it's lead/follow potential? Bet it's brilliant at drops.......... :D

Elaine

Graham
21st-April-2005, 10:27 PM
I sometimes use the mirrors in a dance studio to watch myself, but I don't make a habit of it since, as a typical Aries, I tend to get too fascinated and my partner starts feeling neglected :grin:

Trish
25th-April-2005, 04:50 PM
Me too!!! :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: Not good being caught in a bodyroll is it! :blush:

Elaine

Can't do that unfortunately :tears: - or perhaps fortunately in this instance!

Usually I'll just do spins and practice spotting, or wave my arm around in new and interesting ways! But yes, you're right not too good if you're caught. Luckily the only time I've been caught was by a colleague of mine who is blind, and I managed not to spin into her, so I think I got away with that one! :clap:

JoC
17th-May-2005, 01:25 PM
Anyone use any props too? (towel or broom handle for me: muggle partner who beds down early)

You can make a smashing pair of man arms - just like the real thing - out of a pair of tights tied around the upright of a bookcase (or equivalent), not very good for travelling moves though... wonder if a standard lamp with wheels would sort that one out, with aforementioned tights or equivalent for arms.
(Healthwarning, indulging in this sort of behaviour could encourage backleading!) I do find this partner a little boring quite quickly but the bookcase has helped me out with a couple of moves in the past so I remain affectionate towards it.

Good point about the flush fitting lamp, my living room paper lamp is bashed to bits!

Purple Sparkler
17th-May-2005, 03:21 PM
It's one of the criteria when buying something new - "what does this move like when I'm dancing in it?

For me, too! I always have to see how something moves if it's party/evening wear, so I know whether it'll be any good for Ceroc.

As for practicing, I do tend to practice spins in the kitchen at work, when I'm making the tea. No mirrors, sadly, and I did get caught once by a colleague. A senior colleague.

I also practice any time there's music on if I'm in the bedroom. And occasionally in as subtle a way as I can, at the train station when I'm listening to music on my personal CD player...

drathzel
17th-May-2005, 03:44 PM
I have mirrors the full length of my bedroom and in the hall so i tend to dance between the two and you can see the hall mirror from my living room so i am often spoted there too..... :whistle: