PDA

View Full Version : Flirty Dancing

fionna
14th-April-2005, 10:45 PM
It's been said that some folk are a little 'flirty' when dancing. I just wondered if there was anything other than 'flirty' dancing and how other folk felt about this.

When Franck teaches he mentions eye contact/smiling a lot and I have found this helpful rather than watching what your partner is doing (or rather trying to anticipate the next move, which I have a terrible habit of) but then it has been said I appear very 'flirty' because of this.

Now I know this dance thing can get a little erotic sometimes (purely from reading other threads in the forum!) but I wondered if you do the whole 'eye contact' thing that the bloke thinks he's onto a good thing rather than just assuming you're enjoying the dance with him. I know I tend to have a habit of asking the same blokes to dance because I know they are a good lead rather than there being any physical attraction.

Little Monkey
14th-April-2005, 11:03 PM
Being a bit 'flirty' when you dance just adds to it! But I only do it with certain dancers that I'm comfortable with, and NEVER with guys I don't like dancing with, as I don't want to encourage them to come back for more!!!

Some guys can be exceedingly flirty, too, and make you feel soooooo special when you dance with them. (Oh, Bill springs to mind.... Wonder why? :wink: ) :drool: It's one of the things that's so great about dancing - it's a different world, where you can "act" different parts, depending on the music, your partner etc....

One thing about flirting on the dancefloor is that sometimes it can almost be difficult to know wether it's just part of the dancing, or if the person doing the flirting actually means it. When you know your dancepartners well, it's not really a problem, but if it's someone new, it can be hard to judge it!

And then there's the thin line between flirting and being a bit sleazy... :eek:

Happy flirting - and dancing!

Little Monkey

Gadget
14th-April-2005, 11:12 PM
? Sorry, are you asking how not to flirt, or how to flirt more? Or how people take flirting on the dance floor?

In my opinion, the whole dance is a concotion of flirting, showing off and interpriting the music. The percentage mix of each depends on the music and the lady.

Gary
15th-April-2005, 01:14 AM
... I wondered if you do the whole 'eye contact' thing that the bloke thinks he's onto a good thing rather than just assuming you're enjoying the dance with him. ...
There's one girl I danced with who was giving me lots of direct eye contact, and I wondered if there was something going on, but then I saw that she dances the same way with everyone, so I relaxed.

azande
15th-April-2005, 08:57 AM
Flirting......... What's that?!?!

Tiggerbabe
15th-April-2005, 09:05 AM
:rofl: :rofl: :rofl: Ask Aleks :wink: :hug:

David Bailey
15th-April-2005, 09:05 AM
There's one girl I danced with who was giving me lots of direct eye contact, and I wondered if there was something going on, but then I saw that she dances the same way with everyone, so I relaxed.
Remember, we're men, we have none of these signal-detecting apparatus that women seem to come born with. Some people are just naturally more tactile than others. I usually have no idea if a woman is coming on to me (no doubt it's such a rare occurrence as to be academic anyway), so I always assume that my partner is simply enjoying the dance...

Sparkles
15th-April-2005, 10:15 AM
When Franck teaches he mentions eye contact/smiling a lot and I have found this helpful rather than watching what your partner is doing (or rather trying to anticipate the next move, which I have a terrible habit of) but then it has been said I appear very 'flirty' because of this.

I know some forumites that have the same problem :rolleyes:

Don't take it to be a bad thing - if the guys can't cope with eye contact they should look away; if they get the wrong idea, set them straight (unless you don't want to of course :wink: ).

I persinally think eye contact can make a dance - it's an intimate connection that you have with your partner for as much or as little as you like for the duration of one track. Then you both walk away and go back to your own lives. :nice:

S. x

Lou
15th-April-2005, 10:41 AM
I persinally think eye contact can make a dance - it's an intimate connection that you have with your partner for as much or as little as you like for the duration of one track. Then you both walk away and go back to your own lives. :nice:
Exactly. And nicely said. :flower:

I'm happily married to a muggle. And I did worry about the flirting aspect for a while as I'm quite reserved. However, I'll flirt, wiggle and make eye contact during the right dance with the right partner to the right music, because it feels like the right thing to do, and it adds a bit extra to the experience :drool: . I love the connection that you can make with another dancer during a dance. But that's as far as it goes.

TheTramp
15th-April-2005, 10:54 AM
:rofl: :rofl: :rofl: Ask Aleks :wink: :hug:
And when you find out, make sure to let me know... :flower:

Scotch Bonnet
15th-April-2005, 01:04 PM
Dancing is a bit like shopping,you can window shop (ooh ahh and admire)but you don't have to buy !!!

Just treat flirting like a bit of retail therapy :kiss: :yum:
xx

Andreas
15th-April-2005, 01:09 PM
Dancing is a bit like shopping,you can window shop (ooh ahh and admire)but you don't have to buy !!!

Just treat flirting like a bit of retail therapy :kiss: :yum:
xx

:yeah:

I may have an inclination to flirty dancing, too, but what do they say 'a dance is a dance and nothing more' :innocent:

At the end of a day it is much more fun to dance with somebody who actually looks and smiles at you, call it flirt if you wish, than with somebody who emanates a coolness that puts the Antarctis to shame :wink:

ducasi
15th-April-2005, 01:22 PM
While it's easy to be charmed by someone flirting with you on the dance-floor, if it doesn't continue after the dance then you should know that's as far as it goes.

Is it any different than the flirting that goes on here in the forums all the time? :wink: :flower: :hug:

CJ
15th-April-2005, 01:23 PM
Well, I think this "flirty dancing" stuff is outrageous and un called for. You should all be ashamed of yourselves. You should know to behave yourselves better: collectively AND individually. :angry:

Disgusting. Pah. :sick:

Still it's damned good fun, tho!! :wink:

Stuart M
15th-April-2005, 01:29 PM
Remember, we're men, we have none of these signal-detecting apparatus that women seem to come born with.
Recent research (BBC Story) (http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/uk/4436021.stm) would suggest otherwise.

bigdjiver
15th-April-2005, 09:26 PM
I can detect if a woman fancies me whether she does or not.

angelique
15th-April-2005, 09:42 PM
It's been said that some folk are a little 'flirty' when dancing. I just wondered if there was anything other than 'flirty' dancing and how other folk felt about this.

Now I know this dance thing can get a little erotic sometimes (purely from reading other threads in the forum!) but I wondered if you do the whole 'eye contact' thing that the bloke thinks he's onto a good thing rather than just assuming you're enjoying the dance with him. I know I tend to have a habit of asking the same blokes to dance because I know they are a good lead rather than there being any physical attraction.

I have a muggle husband who at times is convinced that the nights that I go to are complete and total debauchery!! :grin:

Like I try to tell him how on earth can it be deemed to be that when most of us are hot, sweaty, red faced and chests heaving with all the exertion that takes place? :rofl:

Take the night / dance for what it is...a chance to enjoy, lose yourself, and embrace the moment for whatever it gives you! Nothing more, nothing less.....unless you want it to! :wink: :drool:

skippy
15th-April-2005, 10:20 PM

Says the world biggest flirt!!!!! :yum: :wink:

fionna
16th-April-2005, 05:36 PM
Recent research (BBC Story) (http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/uk/4436021.stm) would suggest otherwise.

I've previously completed this online survey and got all but one right and I'm female - would then again I would never let a man beat me at anything!

Anyway thanks to all who replied. From now on it's innocent flirting even more - watch out Jumpin' Jaks! :D

baldrick
18th-April-2005, 06:56 PM
Ah true of so many of us :rofl: :rofl: :rofl:

MartinHarper
19th-April-2005, 12:12 AM
If you stare at me like some sort of crazy woman, I'll probably assume you've been possessed by the devil, and lead a travelling move to the nearest spot of consecrated ground. Or, "the stage", as it's also known.

stewart38
19th-April-2005, 09:54 AM

what she may not know she fancies you ? :sick:

bigdjiver
19th-April-2005, 10:55 AM
what she may not know she fancies you ? :sick:By George, I think the chaps got it! They are all just in denial ....

stewart38
19th-April-2005, 11:03 AM
By George, I think the chaps got it! They are all just in denial ....

Exactly and whats court order any way

CJ
19th-April-2005, 11:59 AM
Exactly and whats court order any way

White shorts and no swearing (at Wimbledon.)

drathzel
19th-April-2005, 12:54 PM

Hi Fionna, first of all i have no idea who you are, so come and introduce yourself to me, i am taxi-ing tonight so you should be able to guess who i am as i am the only taxi with a northern irish accent.

Ok on thread (before i get shouted at by a certain someone), i found your post very interesting as i have been asked the question " do guys not get the wrong idea when you dance with them as you do make a lot of eye contact" but to be honest i dont think this is the case, in most situations that you "flirt" you dance up a gear, it tends to be with people you know or are comfortable with (correct me if i am wrong however this is my perception) so there for you will probably have already set boundaries ie know if they are dancing with you for enjoyment of your dance or whether its just to get close to you and a chance to watch you bum as you wiggle around and play with the moves (those who are guilty of this know who you are :whistle: ) and you can choose the way you dance to suit this.

I think what everyone has to remember is that we are at a venue (for the most of us) to dance not pick up a partner so there for we should be able to let go of our inhibitions and relax into the dance without worrying..oh dear does he think a, b or c?.. chances are the guy is just thinking about trying to lead the moves without cocking up or enjoying the dance. :D

Zebra Woman
19th-April-2005, 12:59 PM
.. chances are the guy is just thinking about trying to lead the moves without cocking up or enjoying the dance. :D

:rofl: :rofl:

That explains it!

I was wondering why the guys so often had that strained look on their faces :wink:

drathzel
19th-April-2005, 01:02 PM
:rofl: :rofl:

That explains it!

I was wondering why the guys so often had that strained look on their faces :wink:

:yeah: poor wee mites, Bless :hug:

CJ
19th-April-2005, 01:10 PM

That's more of a wince after losing a few strands of hair!! :wink:

drathzel
19th-April-2005, 02:11 PM
That's more of a wince after losing a few strands of hair!! :wink:

you shouldn't put your hair where is can be tugged on :innocent:

David Bailey
19th-April-2005, 02:43 PM
...a chance to watch you bum as you wiggle around and play with the moves (those who are guilty of this know who you are :whistle: )

OK, how is this even possible with UCP / flirty dancing? Surely you're:
A: too close in to see the bum most of the time?
B: facing your partner most of the time?
Watching other parts, fair enough, but bum? Can't see it :)

chances are the guy is just thinking about trying to lead the moves without cocking up or enjoying the dance.
Or, as was put in a previous thread, something like:
"Right hand hold, OK that's a catapult, oops, no, bugger, just did one of those, alright, a yoyo then, why hasn't she let go, quick, do a spin away, OK, back to the left hand, slow comb, let me think, walkaround a bit, how do I get to that Columbian position again..."

ducasi
19th-April-2005, 05:26 PM
... or whether its just to get close to you and a chance to watch you bum as you wiggle around and play with the moves ... And here I thought that was why you wanted to dance with me! :tears:

:wink:

... chances are the guy is just thinking about trying to lead the moves without cocking up or enjoying the dance. :D :yeah: That's me for sure. :really:

Wendy
19th-April-2005, 05:40 PM
Flirting......... What's that?!?!I'll show you next time we dance... I'm sure it won't take you long to pick it up..in fact I expect you'll be able to teach a masterclass eventually....

And only just noticed your nice new title ! fab !!!

Wxxxx

azande
20th-April-2005, 11:14 AM
I'll show you next time we dance...
I can't wait!! :innocent: :wink:

And only just noticed your nice new title ! fab !!!
Wxxxx
Thanks!

Gary
21st-April-2005, 01:49 AM
My girlfriend has told me I need to dance more flirty with my dance partner :really:

Oh well, the things we suffer for our craft :whistle:

Graham
21st-April-2005, 11:47 PM
Please introduce yourself, Fionna, as I don't want to spend every week at Jumpin Jaks assessing how flirty all the girls are to see if I can work out who you are!

Personally I think that flirting is often about breaking eye contact rather than simply making it. There is one person I know who is uncomfortable with prolonged eye contact so looks away fairly regularly, but I actually find this more flirty than if she simply maintained contact.

TheTramp
22nd-April-2005, 12:47 AM
My girlfriend has told me I need to dance more flirty with my dance partner :really:

Oh well, the things we suffer for our craft :whistle:
I'll look forward to a dance in August then Gary!! :wink:

CJ
22nd-April-2005, 10:37 AM
Personally I think that flirting is often about breaking eye contact rather than simply making it.

I saw that in Kill Bill 2. Didn't look very flirty, though... :eek: