PDA

View Full Version : Am sorry if this is too late...

CJ
13th-April-2005, 01:14 PM
... but mobile cameras on M4: Jcn 14-18. Anyone doing over 79 will get booked.

Good luck!!

Lou
13th-April-2005, 01:52 PM

Good luck!!

Cheers mate. I do J18 - J16 & back each day. The signs appeared yesterday.

I wonder why they've suddenly appeared just before a general election, when one of the promises of the Conservatives is that they'll raise speed limits to 80MPH? :whistle:

TheTramp
13th-April-2005, 01:59 PM
I wonder why they've suddenly appeared just before a general election, when one of the promises of the Conservatives is that they'll raise speed limits to 80MPH? :whistle:
Okie. Can anyone tell me who the Conservative candidate for Dundee is? He's just got my vote.... :whistle:

CJ
13th-April-2005, 02:12 PM
He's just got my vote.... :whistle:

Hey, that's more than the last election!!!!!!!

I will still vote, but it'll be like pi$$ing in the wind: my MP is Gordon *&%%$!!! Brown. :tears:

stewart38
13th-April-2005, 02:29 PM

Good luck!!

God speed cameras that was a healthy debate a while back !

Get some french number plates

jivecat
13th-April-2005, 08:40 PM
I'm still smarting from having my first ever speeding ticket drop on the mat this morning. Does anyone know what difference it's likely to make when I need to renew my car insurance?

Dance Demon
13th-April-2005, 10:09 PM
I'm still smarting from having my first ever speeding ticket drop on the mat this morning. Does anyone know what difference it's likely to make when I need to renew my car insurance?

shouldn't make too much difference, if any, for 3 points JC......unless of course it was more serious than 3 points.... :)

just a tought, but, as the highest nationl speed limit is 70mph, why are manufacturers allowed to make cars which are capable of more than double that?.......my Truck is fitted with a speed limiter which means that I can't go above 85kph....( around 56mph) ...national speed limit on motorways for vehicles over 7.5 tonnes is 60mph. should maybe all cars be fitted with similar devices? I know this would not help on roads with a lower limit, but on motorways it would help prevent accidents, and conserve fuel, and decrease pollution

jivecat
13th-April-2005, 10:13 PM
What do you have to do to get 3 points? I was doing 41 in a 30mph limit area. :blush: But hardly Formula One stuff.

Dance Demon
13th-April-2005, 10:18 PM
What do you have to do to get 3 points? I was doing 41 in a 30mph limit area. :blush: But hardly Formula One stuff.

that will show on your licence as an SP30......fixed penalty of £60 and 3 penalty points....... :sad: ....

stewart38
13th-April-2005, 10:18 PM

Deny it 'my mate' got of 3 speeding tickets

jivecat
13th-April-2005, 10:25 PM
Deny it 'my mate' got of 3 speeding tickets
Well, it's a fair cop, guv. I knew I'd got a ticket, I saw the van and the flash 2 seconds too late to hastily apply the brakes. Surely if it was that easy everyone would deny it?

stewart38
13th-April-2005, 10:41 PM
Well, it's a fair cop, guv. I knew I'd got a ticket, I saw the van and the flash 2 seconds too late to hastily apply the brakes. Surely if it was that easy everyone would deny it?

Dont know full details and if caught by van a bit harder. Assume you were pulled over or got something later ?

PM if you like there are ways not for public forum

Lory
13th-April-2005, 10:57 PM
why are manufacturers allowed to make cars which are capable of more than double that
The government makes a massive amount of revenue from fining us. that's probably got something to do with it!

I'll never get over the fact I got done for doing 56mph on a 3 lane stretch of the A1, at 2-30am, when there wasn't another car in sight! :mad:

Yes OK, I know knew was a 50mph stretch but there was NO way I was driving carelessly under the circumstances.

I'm sure the police wouldn't have even bothered to pull me over but those pesky cameras don't turn a blind eye to anything!

3 points and a fine for that! :angry:

Dreadful Scathe
13th-April-2005, 11:09 PM
I remember recently there was a complaint from workmen working on a motorway lane a while back about people ignoring the temporary 30mph limit - so the police put in a camera. Did it help with safety ?? NO, because they didnt bother putting up any sort of warning sign so all the drivers kept up with the flow of traffic as they did their usual daily journey and they all got fined. That is just ridiculous! The police couldnt care less about worker safety, they just saw a revenue opportunity.

David Bailey
14th-April-2005, 09:08 AM
Technically, you should tell the insurance company about this, and I certainly would never recommend you didn't. However, a friend of a friend of a friend (:) ) got 9 points, didn't tell, didn't get found out. Still, that person didn't have any accidents, so it was academic.

Also, insurance-wise, it's always worth shopping around at the end of each year, you can usually get a better deal.

jivecat
14th-April-2005, 09:42 PM
Technically, you should tell the insurance company about this, and I certainly would never recommend you didn't. However, a friend of a friend of a friend (:) ) got 9 points, didn't tell, didn't get found out. Still, that person didn't have any accidents, so it was academic.

Also, insurance-wise, it's always worth shopping around at the end of each year, you can usually get a better deal.

Do you mean I should tell the insurance company next time I renew (they always ask, anyhow) or phone my existing one & tell them?

Always, always shop around for car/home insurance, otherwise your existing company will rip you off blind. In my experience.

Zebra Woman
14th-April-2005, 09:57 PM
Do you mean I should tell the insurance company next time I renew (they always ask, anyhow) or phone my existing one & tell them?

Always, always shop around for car/home insurance, otherwise your existing company will rip you off blind. In my experience.

Yes I think you should call them. I phoned my existing one straight away, it is what they say you should do. Amazingly there was no extra premium. Even when I renewed just 3 points made no difference. But about 3 months later I got another ticket!!! Duh :sick: Both were SP30's (first time I was doing 37 and the other time 39mph). I phoned and told them again, still no extra charge. But when I renewed for the second time I did notice that 6 points had added £50-£70 to my premium.

I notice now that 6 points is the limit that car rental people will put up with, so I am trying very hard not to get any more points and I have many years to go :tears: .

jivecat
14th-April-2005, 10:10 PM
Yes I think you should call them. I phoned my existing one straight away, it is what they say you should do. Amazingly there was no extra premium. Even when I renewed just 3 points made no difference. But about 3 months later I got another ticket!!! Duh :sick: Both were SP30's (first time I was doing 37 and the other time 39mph). I phoned and told them again, still no extra charge. But when I renewed for the second time I did notice that 6 points had added £50-£70 to my premium.

I notice now that 6 points is the limit that car rental people will put up with, so I am trying very hard not to get any more points and I have many years to go :tears: .

Well, I'll read the blurb they sent me. But I don't see how they can ask for additional premium for the current year anyway - they don't do this even if a claim is made. They just get you when you renew, don't they? As I understand it they look at your risk potential on the day of renewal and gamble on it staying the same for the next 365 days. Or am I wrong about this when it comes to criminal convictions?

I think it would be difficult to tell how much the premium had gone up by on subsequent renewals - in my experience they just think up a number, treble it and add a £50 surcharge for business use. Then miraculously halve it again when they hear you've had a much lower quote from another company.

Yeah, sorry to hear about your TWO tickets. "Sick as a pig" sums up my feelings fairly accurately. But not quite as bad as when I got wheel-clamped. And a bargain too when compared with the £80 I had to pay to get the clamp off.

Northants Girly
14th-April-2005, 11:41 PM
Last year I asked what the difference would be if I hadn't the SP30 I have and I was told it was only £9 . . . .
so I wouldn't worry too much :)

El Salsero Gringo
15th-April-2005, 12:41 AM
As I understand it they look at your risk potential on the day of renewal and gamble on it staying the same for the next 365 days.No. Strictly speaking you should tell them if there's any material change in your circumstances, and they can then withdraw cover if they wish (with an appropriate refund for the period remaining), or charge you a higher premium.

Lynn
15th-April-2005, 01:03 AM
No. Strictly speaking you should tell them if there's any material change in your circumstances, and they can then withdraw cover if they wish (with an appropriate refund for the period remaining), or charge you a higher premium. The main thing is to keep insurance company informed of any relevant information. If you don't then you can invalidate your entire policy - and if you have a claim then they can refuse to cover it. (AFAIR - I worked in a household claims department for a while and they could apply that, though in practice very rarely did, unless it was something like a property sitting empty which was then burgled).

stewart38
15th-April-2005, 11:26 AM

If more people queried them pre court stage the world would be a better place

They dont want hassle of taking you to court

Ask for photos (Lose it and ask for another, they wont match , colour wise),ask for EXACT location etc etc Unless there Thames Valley Police or South Wales I doubt if they follow it through and still things you can do in court if you really want to ! when was their letter issued etc etc etc

Im talking about speed camera not when your pulled over

Create a fuss make them work and 90% of the time they will go away. If they dont its only £1,000 Max fine but no way would i want 6 points on my licence as then im driving in fear of getting 9 ! :mad:

Lynn
15th-April-2005, 11:43 AM
I knew I'd got a ticket, I saw the van and the flash 2 seconds too late to hastily apply the brakes. There are some roads I drive on which are 30mph limit but traffic flow is nearer to 40mph. If you drive at 30mph you end up with a big gap in front of your (as the rest of the traffic is going faster) people driving very close behind and often dangerously overtaking. I do try to stick to speed limits but on a road like that its difficult (it isn't a road where there are many pedestrians). And then the police vans wait round a corner so you don't see them til the last minute. :mad: Fortunately folk here are very courteous about warning oncoming traffic about a speed trap up ahead!

jivecat
16th-April-2005, 09:58 AM
There are some roads I drive on which are 30mph limit but traffic flow is nearer to 40mph. If you drive at 30mph you end up with a big gap in front of your (as the rest of the traffic is going faster) people driving very close behind and often dangerously overtaking. I do try to stick to speed limits but on a road like that its difficult (it isn't a road where there are many pedestrians). And then the police vans wait round a corner so you don't see them til the last minute. :mad: Fortunately folk here are very courteous about warning oncoming traffic about a speed trap up ahead!

The stretch of road was along the beach front at Newgale beach in Pembrokeshire - it is a short 30 mph section in an otherwise normal speed limit area. There is a beach on one side and a campsite on the other, so is crawling with pedestrians in high summer. But unlike a lot of urban driving, there are no obvious hazards to prevent your speed rising. I was kicking myself because I'd been warned that vans were there frequently, you can be sure I warned oncoming traffic afer the event!

jivecat
16th-April-2005, 10:06 AM
No. Strictly speaking you should tell them if there's any material change in your circumstances, and they can then withdraw cover if they wish (with an appropriate refund for the period remaining), or charge you a higher premium.

But if you have an accident and actually make a claim they don't increase your premium midway through the year, even though you have been demonstrably a higher risk to their profits. A speeding ticket is only a potential risk so it would, IMO, be unfair to load the premium midway for that, but not for an actual claim. At renewal time, of course, I will be fair game!

But thanks for your advice, everyone, obviously I need to phone them. *sigh*