PDA

View Full Version : A daily toast

philsmove
12th-April-2005, 01:33 PM
I thought we might nick an idea from another forum I occasionally log on to. They have a daily toast, where members can post any excuse for raising a glass or having a full blown party.

Reasons ranged from Ellen MacArthur for a new world record, to someone having a baby, to Party planner Cynthia Payne being acquitted of nine charges of controlling prostitutes at her home in south west London (11 Feb 1987)

It has grown into quite a long thread and it's not a daily post, but always worth a laugh.

May I start

FIRST MAN IN SPACE:
April 12, 1961

On April 12, 1961, aboard the spacecraft Vostok 1, Soviet cosmonaut Yuri Alekseyevich Gagarin becomes the first human being to travel into space. During the flight, the 27-year-old test pilot and industrial technician also became the first man to orbit the planet, a feat accomplished by his space capsule in 89 minutes. Vostok 1 orbited Earth at a maximum altitude of 187 miles and was guided entirely by an automatic control system. The only statement attributed to Gagarin during his one hour and 48 minutes in space was, "Flight is proceeding normally; I am well."

CJ
12th-April-2005, 01:38 PM
So, is our daily toast like our daily bread?? :whistle:

TheTramp
12th-April-2005, 01:41 PM
So, is our daily toast like our daily bread?? :whistle:
No. It's crunchier....

Tiggerbabe
12th-April-2005, 01:45 PM
and has nutella on it :wink:

CJ
12th-April-2005, 01:46 PM
Oops. Sorry.

Forgive my trespassing...

Stuart M
12th-April-2005, 02:18 PM
Ha! My dream thread :D

The best toast I ever heard was:

"Here's champagne to our real friends,
And real pain to our sham friends..."

Little Monkey
12th-April-2005, 06:58 PM
and has nutella on it :wink:

Aaaaaah, toast with nutella - the food of gods! :D You're a tiggerbabe after my own heart!! :hug:

Anyway....... Do you have to have a reason to have a toast, or a wee party? Or indeed a big one? Isn't "Let's have a party, it's Tuesday!" good enough? :confused: Or - woohoooo it ain't raining! Let's party! Or......... I'm alive, let's celebrate with a drink or ten!!!

Little Monkey - live each day as if it's your last

El Salsero Gringo
12th-April-2005, 07:01 PM
Ha! My dream thread :D

The best toast I ever heard was:

"Here's champagne to our real friends,
And real pain to our sham friends..."I still like the old "To absent friends - and those who *should* be absent."

Stuart
12th-April-2005, 07:30 PM
I like the toast used in the Royal Navy - "to wives and sweethearts - may they never meet!"

philsmove
12th-April-2005, 09:36 PM
I like the toast used in the Royal Navy - "to wives and sweethearts - may they never meet!"

(I think each day has a toast)

Monday - "Our ships at sea"
Tuesday - "Our Men"
Wednesday - "Ourselves ( as no one is likely to concern themselves with our welfare)"
Thursday - " A Bloody War or a sickly season"
Friday - " A Willing Foes and sea room"
Saturday - Sweethearts and wives - may they never meet"
Sunday - " Absent friends"

Little Monkey
12th-April-2005, 11:13 PM
In Norway (oh, and in Sweden and Denmark), we say "Skål" when we toast. Some people insist this comes from the viking age, when the blood-thirsty beastly vikings would chop their enimies heads off, and use the sculls as drinking bowls, ie "scull".

Personally, I think this is a load of tosh... We were a friendly and gentle - yet misunderstood - peole :innocent: :whistle: , and we much preferred ripping the horns of cattle to drink out of, 'cus they had a much nicer shape..... :rolleyes: Or something....

Aaaaanyway. We do have a lovely drinking song. It's deep, meaningful and....It goes like this:

Å så svinger vi på seidelen igjen,
HEI SKÅL!!

Å så ramler vi på fyllefest igjen,
HEI SKÅL!!

Å så havner vi I fylle-arrest igjen,
HEI SKÅL!!

Roughly translated - Oh, then we swing our tankards again..... Oh, then we end up having a drunken party again..... Oh, then we end up in the nick again...

I guess you can work out the "HEI SKÅL!!" bit for yourselves...

LM

Little Monkey
12th-April-2005, 11:18 PM
"Give strong drink unto him that is ready to perish, and wine unto those that be of heavy hearts. Let him drink, and forget his poverty, and remember his misery no more." Proverbs 31: 6-7

I could almost become religious........ :D

baldrick
12th-April-2005, 11:34 PM
I'm alive and well
My body works nearly as well as yesterday
I have food and a place too sleep
My friends who care are all around me
I have enough love too spare for those who need it
And I have told those who matter that I care. :hug:

Trousers
13th-April-2005, 12:06 AM
After 5 years of dancing MJ (5 good years too)
It has finally happened. I've just danced some DT :eek: Yes Yes there are lots of you out there saying so what. Well I just wanted to say thats all. It was pretty good fun too

Emma P had to do a pretty quick reshuffle as there about 3 million women over at Northampton and I ended up hanging on to two of the slippery little tykes as Emma dumped her prepared class and 'winged' a double trouble routine and basically I just wanted to say more power to Emmas elbow. Not many teachers would have had the wherewithall to do that and she turned a probable lesson from hell into a pretty good adhoc fun class.

:worthy:

So in the spirit of the thread A Toast to Emma Pettit for being Emma Pettit.

philsmove
13th-April-2005, 07:45 AM
A toast to James A. Lovell,

Who on April 13 1970

Made the underestimate of the year

"Houston, we've had a problem here,"

clevedonboy
13th-April-2005, 04:30 PM
April 13 1997 Tiger Woods wins Masters at the tender age of 21

stewart38
13th-April-2005, 04:40 PM
Who was born on April 13, 1743, at Shadwell in Albemarle County, Virginia and became the Third president of the USA ?

It must be a while since he has had a toast

A toast on his 262nd birthday

Cruella
13th-April-2005, 05:04 PM
After 5 years of dancing MJ (5 good years too)
It has finally happened. I've just danced some DT :eek: Yes Yes there are lots of you out there saying so what. Well I just wanted to say thats all. It was pretty good fun too

Emma P had to do a pretty quick reshuffle as there about 3 million women over at Northampton and I ended up hanging on to two of the slippery little tykes as Emma dumped her prepared class and 'winged' a double trouble routine and basically I just wanted to say more power to Emmas elbow. Not many teachers would have had the wherewithall to do that and she turned a probable lesson from hell into a pretty good adhoc fun class.

:worthy:

So in the spirit of the thread A Toast to Emma Pettit for being Emma Pettit.

:yeah: I was there too, even though she pinched my dance partner to demo at the last minute so we didn't get any practise in AGAIN. She is the best. Can't wait till saturday to celebrate her 10th year as a teacher. Will be a fab night at Daventry with loads of great people. :clap:

philsmove
16th-April-2005, 01:00 AM
not sure abot this one :innocent:

on April 16 1943 - The Swiss chemist Dr Albert Hofmann, who created d-lysergic acid diethylamide reports seeing "an uninterrupted stream of fantastic pictures, extraordinary shapes with intense, kaleidoscope-like play of colors."

cheers mate :cheers:

Stuart
16th-April-2005, 12:52 PM
A toast to a Mr Seo Sang-Moon,69, of Seoul who, according to a story in the Independent this morning, has passed the theoretical part of his driving test at the 272nd attempt. He claims to be illiterate and to have used each examination to teach himself the rules of the road, as he was unable to read them in a manual. He now faces the practical part of the test :cheers:

bobgadjet
16th-April-2005, 03:36 PM
A toast to........... The Garlic Queen, Lory

Who, after many years trying to hide her addiction, officially "came out" at Ashtons last night, and has successfully made it "all right" to go dancing with an odour on your breath.:whistle:

Well done, and very brave :worthy:

Lory
17th-April-2005, 09:56 PM
A toast to........... The Garlic Queen, Lory

:eek: OMG I eat Garlic ONCE in three years and I get a new title! :tears:

I'd just like to say, I actually had a brilliant night in the end, despite my old mate Bob giving me a major complex right at the very start of the evening :sick: (to be fair, I did give him a really close up lions roar, asking him to tell me the truth, do I smell of Garlic)? :D

Anyway, I still got asked for second, third and even FORTH dances, one of them being to Bob's infamous 'love to love you babe' :whistle: so it can't have been that bad! :wink:

Not something i'll be repeating in a hurry though! Unless we have the 'national garlic week'! :wink:

philsmove
23rd-April-2005, 09:48 AM
'St George for England!'

:cheers:

baldrick
24th-April-2005, 03:17 PM
The suns out,
the trails will be dry,
And I'm way to Knackered after last nights cehlid to go biking

Feelingpink
6th-May-2005, 09:46 AM
A nearly empty fridge and lack of cereal meant breakfast today was two boiled eggs with buttered soldiers. I'd forgotten how delicious they are. :drool:

And the sun is out.

Divissima
6th-May-2005, 09:57 AM
A nearly empty fridge and lack of cereal meant breakfast today was two boiled eggs with buttered soldiers. I'd forgotten how delicious they are. :drool:

And the sun is out.By a strange coincidence, that's what I had for dinner last night - just fancied it. Very delicious :yum:

philsmove
23rd-June-2005, 07:03 AM
TO Jack Kilby, the US inventor of the integrated circuit who died yesterday :cheers:

Barry Shnikov
23rd-June-2005, 11:13 PM
Anyway, I still got asked for second, third and even FORTH dances,

A Forth dance...

>thinks<

So, has it got something to do with pretending you're on a bridge?
Oo, I know, like you're dancing around claymores??

Tee hee

Barry Shnikov
23rd-June-2005, 11:14 PM
:eek: OMG I eat Garlic ONCE in three years and I get a new title! :tears:

One day I'll forget and go jiving after I've eaten my patent 6-clove, home-made
pesto sauce...

It'll be like that underarm advert with the big black golfer and the squirrel...

philsmove
6th-July-2005, 02:00 PM
TO Lord Sebastian Coe and his team

A fantastic achievement

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/front_page/4655555.stm

Purple Sparkler
7th-July-2005, 11:11 AM
To the Emergency Services in London. They're working damn hard this morning.

Stuart
20th-July-2005, 07:05 PM
To James Doohan, Scotty from Star Trek, who died today aged 85.

Beamed up for the last time!

Minnie M
20th-July-2005, 08:04 PM
Apollo 16 was the tenth manned mission in the Apollo program and the fifth mission to land on the Moon on April 20th 1972

Gonna miss old Scotty - 85 :really: gosh didn't realise he was that old, keep forgetting how long ago the series was :what:

Tiggerbabe
18th-August-2005, 12:25 AM
A toast to Sam, who's been coming to the Dundee classes for a couple of months now and finally asked me to dance tonight :clap: :clap:

It was fab! So here's to him, for putting up with my "not allowing him to hide" and asking/making him dance every week.

angelique
18th-August-2005, 12:32 AM

:yeah:

:rofl: :rofl: :rofl:
Fantastic!

philsmove
18th-August-2005, 06:34 PM
how to toast in style

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/england/london/4163314.stm

philsmove
29th-September-2005, 10:11 PM
raise a pint of lager to Sake Dean Mahomed

Who opened Britain’s first curry hose

But can you guess when

philsmove
25th-May-2006, 10:28 AM
With all the sadness and trauma going on in the world , it is worth reflecting on the death of a very important person that went almost unnoticed ten years ago.

Larry LaPrise, the man that wrote "The Hokey Cokey" died peacefully at the age of 83.

Let's raise a toast to the man who made parties rock worldwide.

The most traumatic part for his family, however, has been getting him into the coffin - and ten years on they are still trying.

They put his left leg in....

And then the trouble started.

Freya
25th-May-2006, 11:33 AM
With all the sadness and trauma going on in the world , it is worth reflecting on the death of a very important person that went almost unnoticed ten years ago.

Larry LaPrise, the man that wrote "The Hokey Cokey" died peacefully at the age of 83.

Let's raise a toast to the man who made parties rock worldwide.

The most traumatic part for his family, however, has been getting him into the coffin - and ten years on they are still trying.

They put his left leg in....

And then the trouble started.
:rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl:

TiggsTours
25th-May-2006, 11:54 AM
raise a pint of lager to Sake Dean Mahomed

Who opened Britain’s first curry hose

But can you guess when
In 1810, Queen Victoria was quite partial to a curry.

He also opened some of the first public baths in Brighton, where he died, he's buried in St Nicholas church in Brighton, which is the church my parents got married in!

Sparkles
25th-May-2006, 12:43 PM
To my Nana (Mum's Mum) who would have been 76 today.
I miss her.

Donna
25th-May-2006, 03:13 PM
:rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl:

:yeah: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl:

Trousers
3rd-August-2006, 08:46 AM
I'd like to propse a toast to all the people on the M4 this morning, for being alert, sensible and making the road quite a pleasant place to be.
Maybe the body snatchers have been in and replaced the normal crowd with people that can drive.
Not complaing tho - non stop junction 12 to 5 never below 55 - Thats worth a toast with anyone.

Cheers!

Beowulf
3rd-August-2006, 10:25 AM
A toast to...

Toast! May you land marmalade side up and may your hot butter never drip down my clean shirt.

.. (I knew I should have toasted my toast this morning.. I wouldn't have needed to change otherwise !)

philsmove
18th-July-2008, 07:12 AM
Mark Cavendish the 1st british rider to win 3 stages of the tour de France

HelenB
18th-July-2008, 10:39 AM

:yeah: :clap::clap::clap:

HelenB
18th-July-2008, 08:40 PM

:yeah: :clap::clap::clap:

EDIT - Mark Cavendish the 1st British rider to win 4 stages of the tour de france (in the same year) :clap::worthy:

Stuart
21st-July-2008, 05:15 PM
EDIT - Mark Cavendish the 1st British rider to win 4 stages of the tour de france (in the same year) :clap::worthy:
Sadly he pulled out of the Tour last night. However it was to get some rest before the Olympics so good luck to him for that.

philsmove
10th-August-2008, 05:19 PM
Nicole Cooke

Britain's first gold medal of the Beijing Olympics in the women's cycling road race.

CheesyRobMan
11th-August-2008, 08:48 AM
Nicole Cooke

Britain's first gold medal of the Beijing Olympics in the women's cycling road race.

Rebecca Adlington and Jo Jackson - gold and bronze in the 400m swimming freestyle. :clap:

philsmove
15th-August-2008, 02:09 PM
Jamie Staff, Jason Kenny and Chris Hoy :cheers:

Great Britain's men's team sprint trio defeated France to win GB's third gold

stewart38
16th-August-2008, 06:52 PM
A toast the memory of Elvis Presley who died 31 years ago today :sad:

philsmove
2nd-November-2008, 07:52 PM
LEWIS HAMILTON FI 2008 WORLD TITLE :clap::clap::clap:

:doh:how close was that