PDA

View Full Version : Pet Hate

Heather
10th-April-2002, 06:40 PM
Why is it, that when some people reach a certain level of competency in Ceroc, they no longer feel that they should take part in the beginners class? Beginners need experienced dancers to help show them how to do the moves, otherwise it's like the blind leading the blind. Unfortunately, some people think that they are too good to dance with beginners or less experienced dancers and refuse to take part in the classes, preferring instead to sit at the side and try to conceal their boredom!!
When a teacher has a queue of ladies waiting to have a turn with a male partner, it's particularly annoying, that while some experienced ladies are having to dance as a "man", some experienced men are sitting the class out.
My message to these people is " Get up off your A***, and help out, where would you be if no-one had taken the time to dance with you when you were a beginner?(Now you know why I am called Miss Bossy!!!!!
What do others think?

Graham
11th-April-2002, 12:15 AM
I agree. I've often been in a class where there are 18 women extra, yet there are men sitting out. There is more to any class than learning new moves, which clearly more experienced dancers are not going to do in a beginners class. It gives you a chance to meet new people, and to practice your leading (for leaders) and style. Sitting on your a*** also shows a lack of consideration for the people having to sit out every second or third rotation.

DavidB
11th-April-2002, 02:26 AM
Unless I'm tired, or drunk, I will help out in a beginners class - either taking part if there are more followers, or dropping out if there are more leaders. If I don't want to take part, I just turn up late.
And if I'm by myself and it's somewhere I've never been before, I make a point of doing the beginners class - it is the easiest way to meet people.

Other pet hates :mad: :
People standing or talking on the edge of the dance floor.
People talking loudly in a class, when the teacher is trying to speak.
Peanut Butter (nothing to do with dancing - I just hate the stuff)

And no - I don't just complain about dancing. So here's a list of my pet likes :) :
The look on a beginner's face when they get addicted
Hitting a break in a song I've never heard
Leading someone through a step they've never seen
Completely messing up a step, and the follower improvising so well you just want to do it again
Finishing a routine without messing up
Watching a good couple
Harley-Davidsons

David

Amanda
11th-April-2002, 11:00 AM
Heather - you took the words right out of my mouth. What is it with men who arrive in time to take part in Beginners (and Intermediate) and yet choose to sit on the sidelines/prop up the bar watching a zillion 'extra women' sail by.... Don't they get it?!

Amanda

:what:

Franck
11th-April-2002, 11:15 AM
I agree with all of the above...
It can be very frustrating and sometimes off-putting for the people taking part, when you hear a group of by-standers laughing (probably at their own joke, but Beginners might think they are being laughed at :sad:

The odd thing is that taking part in the Beginners class does not have to be a selfless act for Intermediate dancers. I have practised and learnt most of my style points during the Beginners class, and after all Style workshops, I recommend to everyone they practise their new found style during the Beginners class. Mostly because it does not matter if you make mistakes, trip over your footwork and fall over in the Beginners class, as up to a point, this is expected.
On the other hand practising new footwork during Freestyle can be quite rude to your current partner (unless he / she wants to do the same).
The classes are for learning, and Freestyle is for dancing.

Of course, those who do not take part will do so for a variety of reasons, they might be tired and need a while to get into the swing of things, or simply they think they have reached the pinnacle of their dancing ability, and do not need any further effort... :wink:

Maybe this discussion will change a few minds... :nice:

Franck.

Stuart M
11th-April-2002, 11:17 AM
Yup, guys standing at the side in "I'm too good to do the beginner's class" mode is pretty poor form, and I'm guilty of it on occasion. However, if a woman asks I'll get up. One defence I can offer is that, for some reason, if I do the beginner's class, I find it harder to remember any of the intermediate class moves later. Don't know why, but it's true. OTOH, it is a good opportunity to practice style (I will eventually crack reverse cross-stepping Wendy, honest!)
My other defence is that I do Taxi once a fortnight, so surely I can be bad sometimes :devil:

My pet hates in ascending order are:
3. Big blokes who throw women around on the dance floor next to me.
2. Couples doing travelling moves on a crowded floor.
1. People who stand talking on the dance floor.

There are others, but I'm only counting those I can confidently say I never do!

A pet fave moment of mine in dancing is a little 'un: it's when your hand is in *exactly* the right place for a woman to take hold of when she comes out of a spin :waycool:. Does anyone know what I mean here - just that feeling that it's all clicked into place?

Jayne
11th-April-2002, 02:19 PM
Stuart,

do you mean your hand is in *exactly* the right place, or in the 'technically correct' place..??:wink:

Just wondering...

Jayne :nice:

Stuart M
11th-April-2002, 02:39 PM
Originally posted by Jayne
Stuart,

do you mean your hand is in *exactly* the right place, or in the 'technically correct' place..??:wink:

Just wondering...

Why, I'd say they're the same place, Jayne :innocent:

Jayne
11th-April-2002, 02:51 PM
It was a grammatical point I was making, so you're right - they are the same. :wink:

J :cheers:

filthycute
11th-April-2002, 05:52 PM
I have to agree completely with Heather. I've been dancing man myself recently....(ok,i wasn't on Wednesday for half the class) but thats cause we were blethering...about this thread funnily enough :p I had stopped dancing women in the beginners for a bit, but not because i thought i was past that class or too good for it, mainly because i thought when there are lots of women to go around, the last thing they need is another one...especially one who knows the moves already. So i guess you could look at it another way.....why are there so many already experienced ladies taking up the precious few men the beginners have? I know everyone has the right to do these classes but on the odd occassion when they are moving around 13 or so ladies, surely missing it once wouldn't kill.

After my sorry attempts at the intermediate class doing man i'm surprised any of the women stayed on the floor!! :yum: but i went up there and tried my bestest :D (cheers for the help John and Scot :wink: )....yeah Scot, i had noticed you were talking a little louder than usual....." Now raise the right arm and turn the lady.....the right arm......the right arm! hahahahahahaha cheers :D

filthycute x x

Tiggerbabe
11th-April-2002, 11:06 PM
O.K. here goes!

I agree with you all guys, its pretty bad form for blokes to sit out when there are loads of extra girls. I always dance the beginner's class as a man and have recently started doing the intermediate class as a man too. (Not just for unselfish reason's, I'm getting fed up leading the girls into the same moves all of the time so I'm looking to get better as a leader and make things more interesting for them.)
In the ladies' defence, while I agree with f.c. that the more experienced ladies could perhaps sit out, it is good for the beginner men to be able to dance with the better girls and not always be dancing with beginners. Sometimes I think the guys are more hesitant at asking better dancers to dance with them as they think they are not good enough - whereas the girl beginners can follow the better men even if they don't know the moves.

My PET HATE is - wait for it............................

people who go along to workshops and then only want to dance with each other.

ok, I can totally understand this if you are dancing blues (very personal!) Or doing arials (for obvious reasons!). BUT otherwise it cracks me up - everyone has paid the same money and if you want private tuition you should arrange it. Personally I think it is much better for everyone to rotate in the class as it makes the leader's have to lead and the followers have to follow.

2nd pet hate is workshops that have been arranged with no thought to balancing the numbers - haven't been to any recently but when I started dancing there were a few that seemed to have crammed people in with more attention to the £'s than anything else!

3rd pet hate is not having enough time to go to everything I want to - oh and peanut butter!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!:reallymad

Franck
12th-April-2002, 10:45 AM
Originally posted by Sheena
In the ladies' defence, while I agree with f.c. that the more experienced ladies could perhaps sit out, it is good for the beginner men to be able to dance with the better girls and not always be dancing with beginners. Sometimes I think the guys are more hesitant at asking better dancers to dance with them as they think they are not good enough - whereas the girl beginners can follow the better men even if they don't know the moves.Eventhough it can be frustrating to have too many women waiting, you are right that most women should take part in the class, it does help, should be fun and helps you pick out the guys with (dancing) potential, so overall, I would not advocate women sitting out. There are times when the number of extra women is such that it might become necessary, but I have to say that recently, this has rarely been the case.

My PET HATE is - wait for it............................

people who go along to workshops and then only want to dance with each other.

ok, I can totally understand this if you are dancing blues (very personal!) Or doing arials (for obvious reasons!). BUT otherwise it cracks me up - everyone has paid the same money and if you want private tuition you should arrange it. Personally I think it is much better for everyone to rotate in the class as it makes the leader's have to lead and the followers have to follow.

I agree with you on that one, though some people might be uncomfortable dancing with other people (when they are just starting, they might feel (wrongly) that they are not good enough to inflict themselves on others).
As you say though, they are losing out on a lot, as you cannot effectively learn to lead / follow properly unless you have practised with a variety of partners and successfully lead or followed most of them.
That used to be a common problem at regular classes, where people would stand outside the lines of couples to stay with the same partner, not realising that 2 beginners learning together is like the blind leading the blind...
On top of that, you are more likely to argue (and blame) your own partner :reallymad rather than a perfect stranger... :nice:

2nd pet hate is workshops that have been arranged with no thought to balancing the numbers - haven't been to any recently but when I started dancing there were a few that seemed to have crammed people in with more attention to the £'s than anything else!Well , from a perspective of having to organize workshops, I can assure you that most of the time, the priority is not to get more money out of a workshop. It is extremely difficult to balance numbers reliably. Typically women will book first and fill up all the available spaces. Men will then book at the last minute. Based on this, it is very difficult to decide when a workshop is viable or should be cancelled. However, once you have successfully managed to balance numbers, you then invariably get 1 or 2 people who do not turn up on the day, therefore completely ruining it for everyone else, mostly because they have good reasons (illness or emergency). Typically, we will have one or 2 taxi-dancers helping out to balance numbers, and this makes a big difference, but it is not always possible or sufficient...

As for peanut butter, I can't help (I like it myself) :cheers:

Franck.

Amanda Kremer
12th-April-2002, 02:08 PM
:) I can't remember now who started this topic - it might be you Heather .. but I've had great fun reading all about what are people's pet hates and thought I would throw mine in for good measure.

:devil: Not dancing in time to the music! Why do people do that? How do people do that? They generally go too fast but I've had occasion when they've gone too slow and I really don't know which is worse.

:devil: Choosing the most crowded spot in the whole dance floor to dance with you in - why do they do that? I hate dancing "scrunched up" if you know what I mean .. I like space to express myself ...

:devil: A limp arm! This has got to be one of the worst .... when I get a limp arm with no lead I start really pulling and being rough trying to send the message ..but invariably this just doesn't work. Interestingly guys seem to think they can "lead" by just doing the moves ... some just don't seem to understand they need to "lead" the moves if you know what I mean. Please give us girls some tension in your arm. When I say this at Taxi night sessions I use the analogy of an elastic band - cos it's not just a rigid unmoveable tension we need - it needs to be elastic - and girls need to have it too for it to work. (Hope this makes sense).

:devil: Not looking at you. Someone else mentioned this and it's surprisingly common. I really don't understand it ... most of the fun is from the rapport between you and your partner and you're dancing with each other to the music ... that sounds obvious but it's surprising how many guys don't look at you.

:wink: I'm sure that there are others for this bitch and moan session which I've enjoyed enormously .. but I fear I'm running out of space .....

See you all on the dance floor, NOT doing any of the above of course!
Amanda

filthycute
12th-April-2002, 05:36 PM
Did i mention that when i suggested that the more experienced ladies sit out the beginners class, that i did mean on the odd occassion when there's more ladies than usual?

ok well i just didn't want a mad bunch of intermediate ladies after me for suggesting they sit out :D

filthycute x x

John McAulay
17th-April-2002, 08:29 AM
It may be just me but what bug me most when dancing with some women:mad:
Is when they come to dancing after applying fresh hand cream:eek:
Instead of dancing it like trying to catch a trout.:confused:
As ceroc dancing relies on the lightest of contact,
and not your long nails to impale your partner:tears:
Cut your nails and wash your hands first.:waycool:
Keep all your grease for the skid pan.:grin:

John S
17th-April-2002, 09:28 AM
Originally posted by John McAulay

Instead of dancing it like trying to catch a trout.:confused:

I know what you mean, John, and I do agree about the hand cream. :mad:

However, to maintain the balance, we guys sometimes lead our partners into combs and such-like moves when our necks are not exactly cool and dry to the touch, which can't be much fun either. :o :o

John McAulay
11th-June-2002, 01:14 PM
One of my pet hates is :-
People who leave their mobile phones on in the cinema!
Then to my shock and horror
Last week in a class in Aberdeen a guy leaves his dance partner
Standing, waiting while he answers his mobile during class!
He should have set it on vibrate
At least it would give him some rhythm

regards:waycool:

Amanda
11th-June-2002, 01:33 PM
:reallymad mobile phones.... :reallymad :reallymad :reallymad

DavidB
11th-June-2002, 03:05 PM
At a workshop I went to on holiday in the US, someone's phone went. The teacher rushed over, snatched the phone out of the man's hand, and then proceeded to answer the call. It went something like this:

Hello
Sorry xxx isn't here.
He is in a dance class at the moment.
This is Mario. I'm teaching the class. You are interrupting it...

Everyone then made sure their mobiles were off!

Emma
11th-June-2002, 03:13 PM
I was at a wedding the other day where the vicar told everyone at the beginning of the service that they had a policy that if a mobile went they confiscated it and donated it to Oxfam. Much bag fumbling ensued!

John McAulay
19th-June-2002, 01:03 PM
I always leave mine on vibrate!:what:
I find it gives me a more pleasant tone to my voice,
When I eventually answer it. :grin:
My number is 0705017274 call any time day or night!
Regards:waycool:

Sandy
20th-June-2002, 10:26 AM
Originally posted by Heather
Why is it, that when some people reach a certain level of competency in Ceroc, they no longer feel that they should take part in the beginners class? Beginners need experienced dancers to help show them how to do the moves, otherwise it's like the blind leading the blind. Unfortunately, some people think that they are too good to dance with beginners or less experienced dancers and refuse to take part in the classes, preferring instead to sit at the side and try to conceal their boredom!!Heather I'm with you. I haven't long moved up to the intermediate class but I absolutely love the beginners class, it is so much fun when you know the steps and when you can help out an absolute beginner, having the boot on the other foot so to speak.

Also as it is not so long since I was a beginner I can remember the terror of learning new steps and trying not to look stupid - still manage that mind you! But I think everyone should make everyone else feel at ease and that they are not alone in their mistakes. Dancing is so much fun and it's for everyone to enjoy, plus we want to keep new recruits, not scare them off.

My pet hate is when it is time to move on and just for a second your partner has "that" look - 'Christ not her'! I'm maybe being paranoid but it really does shatter your confidence.

Another little pet hate is when the good dancers only want to dance the good dancers. To be fair I understand wanting to dance with someone who is easy to "gel" with and not a clumsy oaf but come on guys we need the experience!

Ceroc dance lover :grin:

Cheers

Sandra

Jayne
20th-June-2002, 11:06 AM
Originally posted by sandra hart

My pet hate is when it is time to move on and just for a second your partner has "that" look - 'Christ not her'! I'm maybe being paranoid but it really does shatter your confidence.Hi Sandra,

I recognise this! Although I've only really noticed it recently when I've been doing the beginners' class as a bloke. I don't know if the crucial variable is:

a) me,
b) my (lack of) ability to dance as a man,
c) the thought of dancing with a girl, or
d) that the girls are more guilty of using the "Christ not her" look. :sick:

What do other people think (preferably about the topic in general, rather than my dancing!)?

Jayne

Emma
20th-June-2002, 11:30 AM
My pet hate is when it is time to move on and just for a second your partner has "that" look - 'Christ not her'! I'm maybe being paranoid but it really does shatter your confidence.Oh, yeah.. I know what you mean. I find it even worse when you ask someone to dance, and that look crosses their face before they say 'OK then'..and then they dance with you without actually looking at you at all.

When I first started dancing that could easily ruin my evening. Now I just go and find someone friendly to restore my faith in male dancers. :nice:

DavidB
20th-June-2002, 12:00 PM
Originally posted by Emma
and then they dance with you without actually looking at you at all.Sorry ladies - but you are just as guilty as us men for not looking at your partner. It gets to the stage where you are surprised when the lady does actually look at you!

It can get funny to watch. Most men will not look the lady in the face, but will still look at her body to see where she is and what she is doing. Most ladies don't look the man in the face, but sometimes look for the other hand, especially for pretzels etc. So it can look like the man is staring at the lady's chest, and she is looking at his bum...

David

Sandy
20th-June-2002, 01:09 PM
[Hi Jayne

I feel I have to add that the majority of guys are really nice and very helpful and hopefully if any of the offenders are reading this they will get the message

I guess we are all there because we love to dance and have fun and that's what's most important.

Cheers

Sandra:what:

Stuart M
20th-June-2002, 01:47 PM
My pet hate is when it is time to move on and just for a second your partner has "that" look - 'Christ not her'! I'm maybe being paranoid but it really does shatter your confidence.

Call me suspicious, but I always get the feeling, whenever the class is rotated and some guy/gal is left without a partner, that someone has indulged in a bit of "skipping" to avoid someone they hate dancing with.:eek:
You usually learn just as much, if not more, with a bad partner (or someone you just don't like!). If nothing else, it allows you to concentrate on your own style, or make you concentrate on the teacher rather than have a blether!

Another minor irritation: the gals are probably more to blame for this :wink: - those who, when the class is rotated and realise they're off the floor, simply jump off straight away. It makes it impossible for the guys towards the end to count their next partner. C'mon ladies, it's only a small brain we have and the counting's hard enough :sorry - help us out a bit!

Emma
20th-June-2002, 01:52 PM
Originally posted by Stuart M

Another minor irritation: the gals are probably more to blame for this :wink: - those who, when the class is rotated and realise they're off the floor, simply jump off straight away. It makes it impossible for the guys towards the end to count their next partner. C'mon ladies, it's only a small brain we have and the counting's hard enough :sorry - help us out a bit!

Oops, I've done that..it never occurred to me that the men at the end of the row would have trouble counting...I'll try to remember not to do it again.

I'll say one thing for Ceroc, it doesn't half improve your counting skills, especially numbers under 10!:waycool:

Amanda
20th-June-2002, 01:53 PM

Call me suspicious, but I always get the feeling, whenever the class is rotated and some guy/gal is left without a partner, that someone has indulged in a bit of "skipping" to avoid someone they hate dancing with.:eek:
....surely not Stuart..!

Amanda

Sandy
20th-June-2002, 02:26 PM

You usually learn just as much, if not more, with a bad partner (or someone you just don't like!). If nothing else, it allows you to concentrate on your own style, or make you concentrate on the teacher rather than have a blether!

Hey Stuart I been there when a guy has walked off the floor and the women on either side have already grabbed their guy and left me to walk off like a lost cause!:sick:

Another thing that has happened is at the end of the class the guy walks off as soon as the teacher says right you can free dance and leaves you there half way through a song! Maybe they all know something I don't
:tears:

Anyway I still love it and still come back for more so guys give me a break - stick with it, please!

Sandra

Stuart M
20th-June-2002, 02:46 PM

Hey Stuart I been there when a guy has walked off the floor and the women on either side have already grabbed their guy and left me to walk off like a lost cause!:sick:

Another thing that has happened is at the end of the class the guy walks off as soon as the teacher says right you can free dance and leaves you there half way through a song! Maybe they all know something I don't
:tears:

Keys! :grin:

I wasn't saying guys or gals were any more or less guilty about "skipping" - that one cuts both ways, I know that only too well from my early "I'll never crack this bloody dancing thing!" days. :tears:

Even the point about drifting off the floor early, spoiling the count, wasn't picking on the ladies - it's just that you usually outnumber the guys. I'm sure we'd be just as bad...

However, I'll confess to being guilty sometimes of the "walk off after the class" thing...:sorry

John McAulay
20th-June-2002, 03:51 PM
Well Sandra Hart
Having danced for almost 4 years now, I still can remember the terror of those first 6-8 weeks as a beginner.
Then a very nice lady (not a TAXI) took me aside and helped me through the pain barrier.
It is for that reason I take part in every beginners class, there is a debt on experienced dancers to give back what they themselves were given.

The ÔÕChrist not her lookÕÕ I understand very well, when people have been dancing for months if not quite a year
You expect them to improve!
But if they use their long nails or thumbs as a vice to contain you, or always wear hand cream, or expect you to drag them about the dance floor, make little effort or no effort to enjoy themselves. Its no wonder we think Oh not her!

Its works the other way as well, I see blokes try moves week in week out where amputation would be more comfortable than the moves the guy tries to perform, this is not limited to beginners

And now we get to my main gripe at your comments:
I like all other male dancers am there to enjoy myself dancing, that means dancing with the best dancers I can find.
To that extent I even have Ô Our TuneÕ with more than one dancer, when that tune plays we will look to dance with each other. Sad maybe but we enjoy it that way.

I will how ever never refuse to dance will any one who ASKÕS me to dance (as is the CEROC ethos) if as a lady you donÕt get over the hurdle of not wanting to ask, but waiting to be asked. You may never dance with the people you are looking for, make the leap just ask.

Bill
20th-June-2002, 04:10 PM
It would seem that in a lot of Ceroc clubs many of the more experienced dancers miss the beginners class and arrive for the freestyle and the intermediate class. I can understand this but I generally feel that doing the beginners class gets me warmed up and ready for the evening.

It can also be, as Franck said on a different thread, a good chance to try out little bits of style as well as getting to know folk. However, I can understand why some people wil lsit out , at least occasionally. For most of us the class becomes a social event and may be the only time we meet most of us see each other.:sad: I'm very guilty of not spending time chatting to other members but I love dancing so much it's difficult to stay off the floor:D

As John says, there are songs that become 'special' or you get used to dancing to with a partner and so when it starts you look for that person. Maybe that is sad but it can make the evening having that 'special' dance.

It is also very important for newer women to approach the men for a dance as there are almost always more women than men so it can be easy to become hidden amongst the less inhibited women

:)

Sometimes at a class there is only freestyle for less than an hor and a half so if you dance non-stop you might have 30 dances or so. At Aberdeen we might have over 50 women so it becomes impossible to dance with everyone, no matter how we try :sorry

Maybe if more folk arrived early as we used to in the 'old days' at the Palace then we can have 15/20 mins of dancing before the class starts. I found that was a great way to try out the moves from the previous week.......when I coudl remember what they were:confused:

Keep on dancing........................

Sandy
20th-June-2002, 05:20 PM
Well Sandra Hart
Having danced for almost 4 years now, I still can remember the terror of those first 6-8 weeks as a beginner.
Then a very nice lady (not a TAXI) took me aside and helped me through the pain barrier.
It is for that reason I take part in every beginners class, there is a debt on experienced dancers to give back what they themselves were given.Hey John

I always get a bit worried when people call me by my full name! I know I'm in trouble!

Hey I did say in my second thread that it was only the minority and yes there are some very nice people out there who want to help.

The ÔÕChrist not her lookÕÕ I understand very well, when people have been dancing for months if not quite a year
You expect them to improve!
But if they use their long nails or thumbs as a vice to contain you, or always wear hand cream, or expect you to drag them about the dance floor, make little effort or no effort to enjoy themselves. Its no wonder we think Oh not her!There was me thinking that guys liked women to "pin them down" and even drag them about! Maybe it takes some folk a little longer than others to be so nifty on the dance floor!
Its works the other way as well, I see blokes try moves week in week out where amputation would be more comfortable than the moves the guy tries to perform, this is not limited to beginners

And now we get to my main gripe at your comments:
I like all other male dancers am there to enjoy myself dancing, that means dancing with the best dancers I can find.
To that extent I even have Ô Our TuneÕ with more than one dancer, when that tune plays we will look to dance with each other. Sad maybe but we enjoy it that way.Main gripe, oh oh! Sad, aint nothing sad about dancing to our 'Our Tune', I'm all for it! I'm all for dancing with favourite partners - for part of the night. Just call me greedy - I want a share of the good dancers!

I will how ever never refuse to dance will any one who ASKÕS me to dance (as is the CEROC ethos) if as a lady you donÕt get over the hurdle of not wanting to ask, but waiting to be asked. You may never dance with the people you are looking for, make the leap just ask.Hey , looks like you could be a busy boy in the future!

:wink:

Franck
21st-June-2002, 11:13 AM
To rain on everyoneÕs theory re. skipping during the classes; watching from the stage, it appears to be a total inability to count on both the men and the womenÕs part. More often the guys will be chatting to each other or to the women walking past, and the women will just follow blindly the woman in front and not bother to count!
Teachers (ie me) are also at fault for not calling the number clearly or often enough, so most people have no idea how many women / men are to move round.

As for the Òoh no, not her / himÓ look, I think, this is paranoia, most people are very nervous during the classes and smiling is the last thing they are able to do when a new partner is approaching. They are probably thinking they are unable to do the move and are worried they will be found out!

It is really important (from a teacherÕs point of view) to relax everyone (hence the many bad jokes during the class :wink: ).
It is also important (as Bill pointed out) for women to get up and ask the men, you might find that the man whom you thought had ÒthatÓ look was actually just a bit shy, and will be very grateful (and flattered) to be asked to dance!!!

Franck.

Sandy
21st-June-2002, 12:03 PM
Originally posted by Franck
To rain on everyoneÕs theory re. skipping during the classes; watching from the stage, it appears to be a total inability to count on both the men and the womenÕs part. More often the guys will be chatting to each other or to the women walking past, and the women will just follow blindly the woman in front and not bother to count!Hey any ladies out there, what do you think about this. I personally don't think it is a lot to ask the guys to count the women walking past, after all, at this stage, they are just standing there, 99% of the time they don't have to do the walking round bit. But don't get me wrong it's all worth it in the end for a night at Ceroc!
Teachers (ie me) are also at fault for not calling the number clearly or often enough, so most people have no idea how many women / men are to move round.

As for the Òoh no, not her / himÓ look, I think, this is paranoia, most people are very nervous during the classes and smiling is the last thing they are able to do when a new partner is approaching. They are probably thinking they are unable to do the move and are worried they will be found out!OK point taken - but only for beginners!
It is really important (from a teacherÕs point of view) to relax everyone (hence the many bad jokes during the class :wink: ).
It is also important (as Bill pointed out) for women to get up and ask the men, you might find that the man whom you thought had ÒthatÓ look was actually just a bit shy, and will be very grateful (and flattered) to be asked to dance!!!

Franck. Well I am capable of admitting when I am wrong so I will get back to you on this after the next few classes !.:grin:

Cheers

Sandra

Graham
5th-July-2002, 05:17 PM
Jayne: I expect it's because you're a girl. Since so many women just do the following the leader thing during the rotation, they often seem to be shocked/surprised when they arrive at their partner (or is that just me?) and I imagine that when they get a female lead they have a bit of a panic that they're in the wrong place.

Actually I often seem to have to rugby tackle my new partners to stop them running past - it MUST be just me!! :what:

Jayne
9th-July-2002, 10:12 AM
Originally posted by Graham
Jayne: I expect it's because you're a girl. Since so many women just do the following the leader thing during the rotation, they often seem to be shocked/surprised when they arrive at their partner (or is that just me?) and I imagine that when they get a female lead they have a bit of a panic that they're in the wrong place.

Actually I often seem to have to rugby tackle my new partners to stop them running past - it MUST be just me!! :what: Hi Graham,

You're probably right - it's just because I'm a girl.... I think I used to react in the same way when I first started, now that I think about it...

BTW - where's the line in the rugby tackle that separates the stopping a partner and dancing with her??? :what: :wink:

Only joking Graham! You dancing on wednesday? Hope to see your tan.... :wink:

Graham
10th-July-2002, 02:08 PM
BTW - where's the line in the rugby tackle that separates the stopping a partner and dancing with her??? :what: :wink:
Are you saying dancing with me is like being rugby tackled!!??? :reallymad
Only joking Graham! You dancing on wednesday? Hope to see your tan.... :wink: Yes - see you there! :nice:

Graham
22nd-July-2002, 07:54 PM
Perhaps I should change my avatar to Mr Grumpy, but I thought of a couple more pet hates:

Smoking in the dance hall :sad:
Use of aerosol smelly stuff in the toilets :sick:

DavidB
23rd-July-2002, 12:25 AM
Use of aerosol smelly stuff in the toiletsIt's better than smelly bodies on the dance floor.

David

CJ
23rd-July-2002, 12:29 AM
Gotta agree with David................poll?

John McAulay
23rd-July-2002, 07:27 AM
yup! Mr Grumpy it is then.:(

Graham
23rd-July-2002, 09:19 AM
Originally posted by DavidB
It's better than smelly bodies on the dance floor.

David

Just to clarify, it's the aerosol I object to, not the smelly stuff. The propellant action leaves a choking residue for the rest of the evening in a very confined space. Splash it on, roll it on, shake it on, whatever, but please don't spray it!!

Sandy
25th-July-2002, 10:16 AM
Perhaps I should change my avatar to Mr Grumpy, but I thought of a couple more pet hates:

Smoking in the dance hall :sad:
Use of aerosol smelly stuff in the toilets :sick:

We must be lucky in Aberdeen as there are only one or two people who smoke in the dance hall so it's not a problem for me.

My worry would be chasing away any male smokers if there was to be a total ban. It's tough out there for us women you know, we would have to run even faster, knocking folk out to get to a man in time before the next dance starts (and then some other woman nips in just as you are about to grab your man!:reallymad )

Eh as far as the smelly stuff goes, well you know the saying "Men sweat, ladies glow", says it all really!

:cheers:
Sandy

Jayne
25th-July-2002, 10:30 AM
My tuppenceworth...

I've noticed that there are actually very few regulars in Glasgow that smoke and those that do usually go outside or into the hallway so they're not smoking where people are dancing. Usually, the people who are smoking in the dance hall are the new-comers and they rarely come back (and if they do it's only for one or two more weeks). It's the same with groups of hillwalkers - they're usually non-smokers and any that do smoke are usually new-comers who only stick at it for a short while...

One thing that bugs me when I'm out (not necessarily at dancing) is candles. They really dry out the contact lenses... :reallymad

Graham
26th-July-2002, 01:44 PM

One thing that bugs me when I'm out (not necessarily at dancing) is candles. They really dry out the contact lenses... :reallymad

Have you tried holding the candles further away from your eyes?

:grin: :wink:

I agree that hardly anyone smokes in the hall in Glasgow, and many thanks to everyone who does go outside when they feel the need for a quick drag/rest.

John S
26th-July-2002, 04:35 PM
Not sure if anyone's mentioned any of these before as pet hates, but mine are all along similar lines, ie obstacles to that smooth and sensual feeling of skin on skin (bet that grabbed your attention!!!).

What I mean (before I wander too far into the byways of my mind) is that it can be very difficult to dance smoothly with someone who:
- has her arms festooned with bracelets
- is wearing big chunky rings
- has on clothes that are made of jaggy or crocheted material

I'm sure there are things about guys' attire that some ladies find gruesome too ( did I hear someone mention sleeveless vests again?)

Amanda
26th-July-2002, 04:48 PM
Originally posted by John S
( did I hear someone mention sleeveless vests again?)

YES....!

Amanda

Sandy
28th-July-2002, 10:56 AM
Originally posted by John S
Not sure if anyone's mentioned any of these before as pet hates, but mine are all along similar lines, ie obstacles to that smooth and sensual feeling of skin on skin (bet that grabbed your attention!!!).

What I mean (before I wander too far into the byways of my mind) is that it can be very difficult to dance smoothly with someone who:
- has her arms festooned with bracelets
- is wearing big chunky rings
- has on clothes that are made of jaggy or crocheted material

I'm sure there are things about guys' attire that some ladies find gruesome too ( did I hear someone mention sleeveless vests again?)

Hey John, you are stripping us of all our bits!

Now there's an idea, maybe we should go "au natural"??:devil:

Saying that - would we keep our shoes on??:what: :wink:

Sandy

John S
28th-July-2002, 04:10 PM
Originally posted by Sandy

Hey John, you are stripping us of all our bits!

I should be so lucky!!!

Originally posted by Sandy

Now there's an idea, maybe we should go "au natural"??:devil:

Saying that - would we keep our shoes on??:what: :wink:

Sandy

What is it about you quines up north? First we have the "Commando" thread, now this suggestion - I mean, I know it's summer, but it's hardly St Tropez up there, is it???

Mind you, it was so hot last night in Marco's that your idea was pretty appealing - or, if you had to watch, pretty appalling??!!
:wink:

Bill
30th-July-2002, 01:43 PM
I don't know..........I go off for two weeks and what happens when I return:confused: ..............more talk of scantily dressed dancers...... dancing au naturale:D .......sorry........:sick:

I just had a wonderful/dreadful image of the moves that can be done and all those hot sweaty bits moving about:what:

Well if it's hot then I'm going to put my vest back on - especially for Amanda who so loves vests:grin:

Went to a beach party in Stopckport - V & L did a class and a demo :D - and even with a thin shirt and shorts it was still very hot. Many of the women had swim suits/bikinis on......not that I noticed too much.:sorry

What about a dance holiday at a naturist resort.........now that would be fun :wink: .........sorry I'm still in holiday mode and thinking of my week in Greece. Mind you it was really hot out in Gus's back garden. Girls......if Gus gets to the Scottish champs you're in for a treat - especially if he has his famous orange trousers on.:wink:

Rambling again.......ah well nice to be back

John McAulay
30th-July-2002, 01:55 PM
A dance holiday at a naturist resort!

Well the secret move would be there for all to see,
some things are better left to the imagination.

Sandy its time to go back on the tablets!

Amanda
30th-July-2002, 02:44 PM
Originally posted by bill foreman
Well if it's hot then I'm going to put my vest back on - especially for Amanda who so loves vests:grin: .........

Mmmmmmm..... Looking forward to it already - save the first dance for me Bill.

What about a dance holiday at a naturist resort.........now that would be fun :wink: .........

OK then folks - who is going to admit cerocing in the buff? And before you ask - yes I have - but with whom I am not telling...:wink:

Amanda

John McAulay
30th-July-2002, 02:58 PM
Amanda!

I think everyone who has read your input to the web site would never doubt that you had ceroced in the buff!

but!

was it double trouble and what were the best moves!

Did you keep eye contact!

etc,etc,etc!

Emma
30th-July-2002, 03:20 PM
Originally posted by Amanda

cerocing in the buff?

Blimey...this is a whole angle of ceroc that I'd never considered before....:eek:

John McAulay
30th-July-2002, 03:21 PM
yeah! right Emma!

Emma
30th-July-2002, 05:03 PM
No, really John..but obviously now it's come up I'm going to give it full and serious consideration :nice:

Sherwin
30th-July-2002, 11:10 PM
------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Originally posted by John

Amanda!

I think everyone who has read your input to the web site would never doubt that you had ceroced in the buff!
but!
------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Just joined the ceroc chat forum a couple of days back, and must say that this chat forum seems to be quite lively :D
This discussion about cercoing in the buff seems ...well... err... intriguing :grin:

Still waiting for a post to find out if "The chilli" was dancing double trouble!

Wow, you Cerocer really know how to swing :wink:

Cheers,
Sherwin

ps Ðplease ignore the formatting, itÕs the first time IÕve been on this chat forum Ð may get better as time goes by :)

filthycute
31st-July-2002, 11:34 AM
Now look what you've gone and done Amanda!:really: This poor guy is only just on the forum and already his mind is being warped. Be careful though please.....i mean i'm the one who has to dance with them in Dundee.....and um...in the buff doesn't appeal to me :sick: ...keep your thongs on guys!!! :yum: :wink:
Anyways i'm just jealous....where the hell did you find someone to participate in your ...erm...."extra curricular activities"? :D
Sure does put a whole new light on cerocing :wink:

filthycute x x

John McAulay
31st-July-2002, 12:19 PM
Well Filthcute IÕm surprised at you,:what:
not knowing how to find a partner to practise dancing in the altogether:really:
Walk into any ceroc class in Scotland nae UK stick your hand up and shout :o
ÔI NEED A PARTNER TO PRACTISE NAKED CEROC!!!Õ :wink:
and watch out for the stamped :eek:
I know your ginger but that shouldnÕt stop you getting a partner. :tears:
If that fails phone me 0900 600 6969 anytime. :devil:

Amanda
31st-July-2002, 12:20 PM

......heh, heh, heh - you'll never know... (Although I might just cave in if offered my bodyweight in Lindt chocolate... As they say, everyone has their price. :wink: )

And as for the best moves, well, I'll just have to leave it to your imagination. Suffice to say, it was the best cerocing experience I have ever had.

Amanda

ps We've been saying it all along - Aberdeen is THE :waycool: place to be. If you want to grab a piece of the action just point the car at the A90 and head on up. The party starts here.

John McAulay
31st-July-2002, 12:24 PM
Exactly how much would that cost and would you take installments!:eek:

SpinDoctor
31st-July-2002, 12:32 PM
> Not looking at you. Someone else mentioned this and it's surprisingly common. I really don't understand it ... most of the fun is from the rapport between you and your partner and you're dancing with each other to the music ... that sounds obvious but it's surprising how many guys don't look at you.

Uhh, I do this sometimes, usually for one of 2 reasons. Either the floor is crowded, so I'm watching the flow around me to make sure there's going to be space to do that seducer, or even just avoid getting kicked, or I'm concentrating hard. That could be because the lady is relatively inexperienced, and I have to curb my impulses to do certain moves, or maybe I just haven't gotten my brain inthe right gear yet - like the guy who said that doing the beginners' lesson made it hard for him to remember any intermediate moves. 45 minutes of beginners tends to numb my brain a bit (I've probably been chatting a lot, and not thinking about Ceroc), so the switch to freestyle can someties take an effort if it's been a hard day. Or maybe she's an expert, and I'm trying to dredge up enough 'interesting'moves to keep her entertained.:sorry

Amanda
31st-July-2002, 12:33 PM
Exactly how much would that cost and would you take installments!:eek:

1) A Lot. 2) No. All or nothing...

Amanda

John McAulay
31st-July-2002, 12:45 PM
listen I've seen you and even wet you couldn't weigh that much!
If you changed it to your weight in chocolate buttons youv'e got a deal.:grin:

Ps spindoctor, your to tightly wound! Dont try and think what a woman's thinking!:rolleyes: Give her your best dance, and dont worry! chill man!:waycool:

Gus
31st-July-2002, 01:03 PM
Originally posted by Amanda

And as for the best moves, well, I'll just have to leave it to your imagination. Suffice to say, it was the best cerocing experience I have ever had.

Amanda
COLOR]

Now there's a challenge if ever there was one!:yum:

Looks like Lorna's enthusiastic dance style is inspiring the Aberdonians in ways Ceroc HQ may not have considered.

.... PS as a teacher I need to know about any of the 'new' moves you may have 'come up' with .... text description, photos or preferably video would help ... only for private use only ... you can trust me, I'm a profesional!:wink:

Amanda
31st-July-2002, 01:12 PM
...a new category for the Scottish Championships perhaps....

Amanda

Gus
31st-July-2002, 01:33 PM
Hold on .. just thinking this through ... you were naked with a member of the opposite sex (...well I'm assuming it was a member fo the opposite sex .... confirm/deny?) and the best thing you could come up with was to CEROC???:tears: :tears: :tears:

Girl ... you NEED HELP ... and possibly a talk to a close friend who may be able to explain a few things to you!

Obviously the cold up in the North has affected your views on what fun is.

Amanda
31st-July-2002, 01:37 PM
Originally posted by Gus
and the best thing you could come up with was to CEROC

Oh, that was just for starters. There was a LOT more involved but in the interests of decency...

Amanda

Janet
31st-July-2002, 06:31 PM
Originally posted by Gus
... you can trust me, I'm a profesional! :wink:
A professional what, Gus?! :wink: :wink:

Janet

Gus
31st-July-2002, 06:54 PM
Originally posted by Janet

A professional what, Gus?! :wink: :wink:

Janet

Look, I've been offered cash to do it, isn't that enough??

Anyway, back to the thread .. Pet Hates, thought I'd a list of my own;
Idiots doing airsteps on the social dancefloor
Woman who insist on pulling back sharply every time they step back (ex-R&R brigade)
Teachers who teach moves that make them look good rather than what the class in front of them can pick up
'Ceroc snobs' - girls who will only dance with you if you're good enough .... luckily mainly found only in London
Country western tracks at Ceroc dance nights
Male dancers who don't take account of other dancers
Drop merchants who think that every beat is an excuse to put the woman nearly on the floor again
blanking out halfway through a track and having to resport to continous travelling returns
AND finally ... why can't we find more venues with large dance floors and airconditioning

By George ... I feel better for that.

Graham
31st-July-2002, 07:15 PM
Originally posted by Gus

Country western tracks at Ceroc dance nights

There seem to be 4 redundant words in this bullet, Gus. :wink:

Heather
31st-July-2002, 07:15 PM
Well said Gus, couldn't have put it better myself ESPECIALLY
points 1. Idiots doing airsteps ..............
4.Ceroc snobs ( in fact snobbery of any kind ).......
6. Male dancers ..........
7. Drop merchants ........
I mentioned someone fitting the exact description of 1,6 and 7 in the 'I saw you' thread, did no-one else see this person ? or does no-one else care!!!!!!:wink:
Heather.
I'd add a little phrase here but the only one I can think of, Franck would probably sensor!!!!!!!:sorry :wink:

Gus
31st-July-2002, 07:23 PM

I mentioned someone fitting the exact description of 1,6 and 7 in the 'I saw you' thread, did no-one else see this person ? or does no-one else care!!!!!!:wink:

Your comments have been noted an passed on to the appropraite department.

You are probably not aware that there is a covert team of Ceroc profesionals (rather like the Men in Black but with better dress sense) who patrol Ceroc clubs investigating such incidents and making the offenders 'disappear' ... eventualy. They use subtle yet highly effective techniques ... such as forcing the offending males to dance with Filthy for five fast tracks in a row, confiscate their black and white shoes, make them listen to CJ explain the benefits of mixing differing tracks (sorry CJ). In short, they show no mercy.

If you are the one who has been 'grassed up' by Heather, be afraid ... be very afraid:reallymad

Sandy
1st-August-2002, 09:27 AM
Originally posted by bill foreman

What about a dance holiday at a naturist resort.........now that would be fun :wink: .........sorry I'm still in holiday mode and thinking of my week in Greece. Mind you it was really hot out in Gus's back garden. Girls......if Gus gets to the Scottish champs you're in for a treat - especially if he has his famous orange trousers on.:wink:

Ah well Bill I don't know. Would that be inside or out? What with all that suntan lotion, can you imagine, we would be sliding about all over the place. Eh and once again, would we be wearing shoes?? Trying to get the image in, or maybe better out. of my head :wink:

They did have a huge Salsa demonstration in Cuba recently which was held outside, maybe a Ceroc demonstration in Aberdeen somewhere and pray for a sunny day??:waycool:

Sandy

filthycute
1st-August-2002, 01:33 PM
Originally posted by Gus

Your comments have been noted an passed on to the appropraite department.

You are probably not aware that there is a covert team of Ceroc profesionals (rather like the Men in Black but with better dress sense) who patrol Ceroc clubs investigating such incidents and making the offenders 'disappear' ... eventualy. They use subtle yet highly effective techniques ... such as forcing the offending males to dance with Filthy for five fast tracks in a row, confiscate their black and white shoes, make them listen to CJ explain the benefits of mixing differing tracks (sorry CJ). In short, they show no mercy.

If you are the one who has been 'grassed up' by Heather, be afraid ... be very afraid:reallymad

OK, Who are they!?!?.....point them in my direction :D

filthycute x x

filthycute
1st-August-2002, 01:53 PM
Well Filthcute IÕm surprised at you,:what:
not knowing how to find a partner to practise dancing in the altogether:really:
Walk into any ceroc class in Scotland nae UK stick your hand up and shout :o
ÔI NEED A PARTNER TO PRACTISE NAKED CEROC!!!Õ :wink:
and watch out for the stamped :eek:
I know your ginger but that shouldnÕt stop you getting a partner. :tears:
If that fails phone me 0900 600 6969 anytime. :devil:

Careful!!!! Don't mess with the ginger swinger!:reallymad
Anyways red-heads have way more fun......that shall be confirmed when i put my (your?) masterplan into action :wink:

Just to get something straight......when i shout "I need a naked Partner" .....should i be naked already to perhaps encourage fellow buffy's? :wink:

filthycute x x

Sandy
1st-August-2002, 04:13 PM
A dance holiday at a naturist resort!

Well the secret move would be there for all to see,
some things are better left to the imagination.

Sandy its time to go back on the tablets!

Aye John your'e right but which will I take first?

Prozac
Amphetamines
Slimming
Worming
Mr Cool ones

Such a choice!:devil:

Sandy

Heather
1st-August-2002, 06:13 PM
:really: I think the Covert Ceroc Team have already been in action with the offending person , Gus, I think they have already confiscated his black and white shoes, maybe that explains why he was dancing in his bare feet !!!!:what: :really:

Gus
1st-August-2002, 08:01 PM
:really: I think the Covert Ceroc Team have already been in action with the offending person , Gus, I think they have already confiscated his black and white shoes, maybe that explains why he was dancing in his bare feet !!!!:what: :really:

Fear not ... they haven't finished with him yet. They have yet to subject him to;

Ordeal by R&R: He's forced to dance with a series of ex-R&R females who consistently pull back till his shoulders and elbows need reconstructive surgery

Ordeal by Stalker: A new beginner will mysteriously starts who will thinks he's the geatest dancer but has had her sense of rhythm surgicaly removed. she will proceed to pester him for endless dances all night.

Given the sensitivity of some of the forum members I will not go into details of the most feared Ordeal, i.e. Odreal by Filthy & Co. ... but you can imagine....

Of course all this would have been avoided if someone had just walked up to him and told him not to be a prat and show some consideration.........
:what:

Heather
1st-August-2002, 08:30 PM
:sorry I might be called Miss Bossy (can't think why!!!!!:wink: ) but although I like to speak my mind, I don't exactly go looking for trouble. (If it finds me I'll defend my corner!!).
So you can understand why a poor wee Dundee lassie like myself didn't march up to the 6 foot something plonker and tell him to stop being a prat!!!! (Even although I felt like it):wink: :wink:

I'll leave him to you Gus- if he's at the Scottish Competition.
(Scot informs me we are not allowed to call it a Championship on orders from Ceroc HQ!!!!)

Heather