PDA

View Full Version : Technical training

DianaS
7th-April-2005, 04:21 PM
Hmmm
Has anyone had, or would any one be prepared to admit to having had, some technical training (as opposed to moves and workshops) in MJ?
Just focusing on aspects of:-
posture
spinning
and fine-tuning positioning?

Hate to have to come out of the closet but I'm trying to break a few long held habits (mainly hangovers from martial arts stances) and its proving to extremely difficult and I would love to hear, by PM or thread, from any one else who has managed to break their habits.. :rolleyes:

Gus
7th-April-2005, 06:23 PM
Sure. Had coaching from both Amir and Roger Chin. All very useful.. Interestingly enough, I found benfit in using my old martial arts training in a positive way. To be honest though, most of the development has come from analysing video footage of myself and also getting (honest) feedback from fellow teachers.

MartinHarper
7th-April-2005, 11:37 PM
What's the difference between "technical training" and a workshop on MJ technique?

Yliander
8th-April-2005, 02:29 AM
Hmmm
Has anyone had, or would any one be prepared to admit to having had, some technical training (as opposed to moves and workshops) in MJ?
posture
spinning
and fine-tuning positioning?

Hate to have to come out of the closet but I'm trying to break a few long held habits (mainly hangovers from martial arts stances) and its proving to extremely difficult and I would love to hear, by PM or thread, from any one else who has managed to break their habits.. :rolleyes: have had some private coaching from a fabulous Salsa dancer who used to come to our Ceroc classes.

He focused on the latin flavoured moves that we did and also looked at balance and lead & Follow

the main difference to me between this sort of work and workshops is that you have someone looking just at you and they aren't looking at the moves you are doing but how you are doing them.

are you transfering your weight?
how are you spining, stepping, standing the list goes on
what are you doing with your arms, legs etc?

These sorts of sessions are hard work and can imagine with the wrong person very dishearting - Boaz took us to pieces but at the same time encouraged us.

Breaking bad habits is more difficult than about anything I know - as they are generally little things - am currently working on breaking the habit of letting my hand drop - was struggling with how to remember to keep it up but still dance - when a little brain wave came to me - if I place a piece of strapping tape across my wrist onto the back of my hand when it was in the correct position - I would feel the tape only when my hand dropped there for I didn't have to think about was it in the right poisition - only had to correct when in the wrong position. Progress is being made :)

good luck :hug:

Andreas
8th-April-2005, 07:51 AM
Didn't have it in MJ, there was not really anybody anywhere near as competent in the field as ballroom/latin teachers. So I got my lessons from my ballroom/latin teachers.

Gus
8th-April-2005, 01:29 PM
Didn't have it in MJ, there was not really anybody anywhere near as competent in the field as ballroom/latin teachers. Not quite so the case in London these days. Look at the likes of Dave & Lily, Nigel, Nina, Paul Warden, Amir, Kate, Roger etc .... there are few dancers (or teachers) who could not learn significant amounts of technical dance from these guys.

Lynn
8th-April-2005, 01:36 PM
Hmmm
posture
spinning
and fine-tuning positioning? No, but would love to. I'm especially bad at spinning - sometimes I get it, and sometimes I don't (and end up not turning the correct amount, travelling as I spin, or losing my balance). I think for someone to watch me and see what I am doing wrong, would be really helpul. Maybe I should look at dance teachers in other dance styles to try and get a little bit of specific training. Good idea!

Northants Girly
8th-April-2005, 01:43 PM
Has anyone had, or would any one be prepared to admit to having had, some technical trainingI think it's a good idea. After Xmas I actually did intend to sort myself out with a private lesson or 2 as there were some aspects of my dancing that I wasn't happy with. Most if not all of the Ceroc Central teaching offer private lessons. I was thinking about asking either Emma Pettit or Michaela Walker as they are both superb teachers. However, I never got round to it.

Still might do at some point . . . . if I can find time :)

Northants Girly
8th-April-2005, 01:58 PM
I'm especially bad at spinning Lynne, what you need to do is this.

Go to a dance (not Ceroc - somethng like a Charity Ball type thing where theres loads of folk that can't dance at all :whistle: )
where you hardly know anyone.

Drink LOTS . . . . and yes I mean alcohol

Then just go for it! Go for that elusive double-spin! It dosn't matter if you wobble or fall over cos no-one knows you.

Well, after ages and ages of getting fed up about not being able to do a double this worked for me! :na:

Lynn
8th-April-2005, 02:12 PM
Then just go for it! Go for that elusive double-spin! It dosn't matter if you wobble or fall over cos no-one knows you.

Well, after ages and ages of getting fed up about not being able to do a double this worked for me! :na:Actually the first time I did a double spin (well, sort of!) was in the Britroc comp (I had to do something while Andy was doing his triple spins!). But sometimes even a single spin sees me wildly off balance. I think I really need to practice more (eg if I am thinking about 'spotting' I forget about where my feet should be). Or I might try videoing myself!

Petal
8th-April-2005, 03:50 PM
Franck has been holding technical classes while the beginners class was taking place in another room for the past few weeks concentrating on spinning, musicality, dance frame, footwork. Most of the intermediate class takes part in thise and i think it's been helpful, especially the spinning and footwork.

Andreas
8th-April-2005, 07:32 PM
Not quite so the case in London these days. Look at the likes of Dave & Lily, Nigel, Nina, Paul Warden, Amir, Kate, Roger etc .... there are few dancers (or teachers) who could not learn significant amounts of technical dance from these guys.

True, I have taught it to other Ceroc's and Salseros in NZ but my training came from 'the other side'. I think most people you have named had theirs from a different style, too. But I could be wrong :D MJ is simply too young a dance style to have a track record of anything but a social dance. And on a social floor it is nice to see but not essential to have great technique. :flower: