PDA

View Full Version : Forward and back move thingy

David Bailey
4th-April-2005, 08:57 PM
Another advice-gathering session...

I've been playing with a variation of the first move recently. I'm sure it's got an official-variant-trademark name of some kind, but for the sake of this discussion I'll call it the Firstmove-open-out-forward-and-back move (or FOOFAB for short*)

I've been trying it out on, and trying the patience of, a number of followers the past week or so, thanks for your patience ladies. I've had mixed responses, some love it, some loathe it. However, as I'm a stubborn so-and-so who often ignores criticism, and as the ones who'll put up with it are (I think) the better followers, I'm still working on it.

Anyway, it's:
1. A first move start, to the open out, and the follower takes the first step of the move back in.
2. At this point (more or less), I let go with my left hand, then pull / push my partner, straight forward, past my left side, whilst I'm moving back a bit for dramatic effect or something.
3. I then stop her with my left hand on her abdomen, and pull / push her back again, catching with right hand on the back. Repeat until bored... Hope that's clear.

There are two tricky parts to this. In step 2., it's not easy to lead a "go straight forward" move without the lady turning. But that comes with practice. The main problem is that I don't really know how to finish it :sad:

So, the question I have is, any ideas for a smart finish? I've tried a few things, but nothing's quite clicked yet. Bear in mind that the lady usually has both arms raised during the forward-and-back bit, so there's no obvious hold...

I know it's a lot of work, but I think this could be a good-looking move if I ever get it right. Any suggestions for FOOFAB-ends?

* Yes, of course I changed the name to fit the acronym.

Gadget
4th-April-2005, 10:41 PM
I do a similar move, {first move; come back to side-side position} but instead of the forward/back, I use the left hand to push 'into' her body and lead her to side step away (to my right, her left) while I side-step away left to catch R-R.
Just got to get the lead right so she dosn't spin or turn - the right hand blocking or pulling on the hip helps.

Good finish for yours?
- keep your hand in place on that hip and walk round her to wrap her into your side.
- come forwatd and take the other hand to the other hip (perhaps in a 'proposal' pose) then use them to give her a slightly assisted spin. {Note - hands on hips = closer to her center = minimal effort into leading spins. Otherwise it's very easy to throw her off balance: that's why two hands - gives a better lead.}
- swap hands on her hip and repeat the move from the other side
- change from the hip to the shoulder, perhaps with the other hand
- start stepping with her and following her forward and back; should naturally lend it's self to a close first move again.
- Use the 'off-hand' to collect a high hand while maintaining the hip lead and transfer the lead into that
- On a 'forward', step in behind her and take your hands to her hips, continuing the forward/back lead, should be sinple to then smoothly collect both arms and raise them into a crucifix/haleluja move.

... you want any more?

MartinHarper
4th-April-2005, 11:11 PM
whilst I'm moving back a bit for dramatic effect or something

Well, if that's the effect you're after, here's an idea for a finish, shamelessly stolen from a Lindy class and changed to work for MJ:

Lead her straight forwards as normal, and use both hands on her hips to catch her. Meanwhile, step behind her (backwards and to your right). She'll be right foot forwards at this point. You should probably be crouched down.
From there, pull her directly backwards, while stepping again to your right.
As she passes you, catch her right hand in your left, step forward, and turn to face.
Return. First Move.

In terms of style, the idea is that every time she goes backwards, you're going forwards, and vica versa, so you can make small movements look big.

spindr
4th-April-2005, 11:51 PM
There are two tricky parts to this. In step 2., it's not easy to lead a "go straight forward" move without the lady turning. But that comes with practice.

Ummm, one tip (originally from Ryan + Jenny): Keep your fingers pointed at the ground and your hand centred in the small of the lady's back -- make sure that you lead your hand evenly, straight forwards (if you sweep your arm, you are likely to lead it in an arc and lead the lady to rotate slightly). Oh, and keep your lead "following through" straight forwards as the lady moves forwards -- don't just finish the lead abruptly.

The main problem is that I don't really know how to finish it :sad:

Grab a hip, and lead a sort of ("friction") spin for the lady -- or put the lady back to the original position and then do a spin yourself :)

SpinDr.

David Bailey
5th-April-2005, 08:27 AM
Thanks for the helpful suggestions, I shall attempt them on willing victims...

In terms of style, the idea is that every time she goes backwards, you're going forwards, and vica versa, so you can make small movements look big.
Yep, that's what I'm doing, seems to work - also, going forward on one leg to accentuate the movement.

Grab a hip, and lead a sort of ("friction") spin for the lady
That's kind of what I wanted to do, a friction spin anti-clockwise as the lady steps back, then maybe (being very ambitious) a reverse friction spin into a seducer hold. I think I can see it in my head, but the devil is in the timing. I'll try it, and if no-one ever dances with me again, I'll know who to blame :)

Russell Saxby
5th-April-2005, 09:37 AM
[QUOTE=DavidJames]Another advice-gathering session...

I've been playing with a variation of the first move recently. I'm sure it's got an official-variant-trademark name of some kind, but for the sake of this discussion I'll call it the Firstmove-open-out-forward-and-back move (or FOOFAB for short*)

I've been trying it out on, and trying the patience of, a number of followers the past week or so, thanks for your patience ladies. I've had mixed responses, some love it, some loathe it. However, as I'm a stubborn so-and-so who often ignores criticism, and as the ones who'll put up with it are (I think) the better followers, I'm still working on it. QUOTE]

Hi David

I think I know the move you mean, I remember it being taught once years ago (5 plus) but never seen it taught since...no idea wot it is called either.. By coincidence I threw it in on Sunday at Jango, but if I remember rightly I faffed the ending up aswell :tears:
I will work on it and let you know if I come up with anything

Russell

David Bailey
5th-April-2005, 10:12 AM
I think I know the move you mean
Just goes to show, there's no new moves under the sun... I'll still call it FOOFAB though :)