PDA

View Full Version : Teaching/dancing persona

MartinHarper
4th-April-2005, 05:39 PM
Thinking of some of the weirder/cooler teachers around - are these folks all like this in real life too? Do any of them have a "teaching persona" that is a little different to how they act normally?

For that matter, does anyone have a "dancing persona" that is different to how they act in more tedious activities?

David Bailey
4th-April-2005, 07:28 PM
I think the best (and/or most popular) teachers are the ones who don't have a persona. Ceroc teacher training, I think, is a bit like army boot camp - it's effective, but it can sometimes stamp out traces of individually, and tends to churn out teachers who all look and sound the same, read from the same script book, crack the same jokes from the approved list, you name it.

The teachers I really like are the ones who preserve their individuality despite this. They may not be exactly the same teaching as in RealLife, but their teaching persona is an honest aspect of their normal persona, it's not fake jokey "give yourselves a big clap" personality. I also think punters know this, can sense it, and react to it positively.

Gadget
5th-April-2005, 12:34 PM
Thinking of some of the weirder/cooler teachers around - are these folks all like this in real life too? Do any of them have a "teaching persona" that is a little different to how they act normally?
I'm sure that the majority of teachers have a 'teaching mode' and a normal 'dancing mode'; When switched to 'teaching', they are specifically looking for flaws and the "right" way to do things. When switched to 'dancing', they compromise and adapt to their partners more.

{well, this is my experiance with Lorna & Lisa (Lisa to a slightly lesser extent but she hasn't been teaching as long; I presume it develops with time) I havn't followed too many male teachers to form a definite opinion, but I assume it's the same.}

Doc Iain
6th-April-2005, 07:16 PM
Not sure about the teaching persona thing, I think most people are themselves when teaching... well the outlandish form of themselves. so they may be a bit more extroverted than usual but I think that comes with the territory.

As per dancing persona.. I don't know about anyone else but I am fairly different when dancing, a lot less outgoing as it goes!... discuss

Yliander
7th-April-2005, 01:25 PM
Not sure about the teaching persona thing, I think most people are themselves when teaching... well the outlandish form of themselves. so they may be a bit more extroverted than usual but I think that comes with the territory. I have to say I do have a teaching persona - but as Doc Iain it is part of my normal personality - my teaching persona is the more out going part of my personality. Out of a teaching environment i tend to be much quieter and reserved.