PDA

View Full Version : Maintaining enthusiasm

Sparkles
1st-April-2005, 12:37 PM
I've recently been feeling a bit low about dancing, not enjoying lessons, finding taxiing more of a chore than a pleasure, starting to wonder if there are other things I should be doing besides dancing, and so on...
I was just wondering, how do other people on the forum cope when they feel like this?
Do any of you ever feel like this?
Have you any advice for me?

Thanks,
S. x

Lynn
1st-April-2005, 12:44 PM
wondering, how do other people on the forum cope when they feel like this?
Have you any advice for me? I don't tend to feel like this, but I have months at times when I don't dance (mainly because there isn't much here) - then I go away on a weekender and have a really fab time. So one suggestion - take a break from dancing for a while - then you will start to miss it, and will have renewed enthusiasm when you start back.

Andreas
1st-April-2005, 12:45 PM
Do a different style for a change.

That feeling gets me every now and again, simply the monotony that causes it for me. So if you have learnt other styles then go back to those for a wee while, otherwise start learning them. At the same time, go to a different studio/venue. Seeing the same people all the time may be nice due to familiarity and friendship but it completely cuts you out of meeting new people that could be inspirational one way or another.

:cheers:

jivecat
1st-April-2005, 12:49 PM
Sometimes I feel all danced out and just need a rest. Going on holiday where I don't even think about dancing, with people who don't dance, doing non-dance-related activities is a good antidote. I always feel a bit guilty about neglecting other activities in favour of dance because I want to have something to return to if I give up dancing (or it gives me up). For the meantime though, I might as well really go for it.

El Salsero Gringo
1st-April-2005, 12:51 PM
take a break from dancing for a while - then you will start to miss it, and will have renewed enthusiasm when you start back.

I absolutely agree.

Franck
1st-April-2005, 12:52 PM
go to a different studio/venue. Seeing the same people all the time may be nice due to familiarity and friendship but it completely cuts you out of meeting new people that could be inspirational one way or another.I would agree with that, and more specifically, come back to Scotland, I'm sure we'll find ways to fire up your enthusiasm :D

Apart from that, take a break, book a dance holiday, and all the other good advice given above!

azande
1st-April-2005, 12:59 PM
I would agree with that, and more specifically, come back to Scotland, I'm sure we'll find ways to fire up your enthusiasm :D
:yeah: :yeah: :yeah: please!!!

Forte
1st-April-2005, 01:06 PM
I take breaks for months at a time. (Anyone remember me? :grin: )
I disappeared into a black hole of new job/overwork but it's Easter hols and I am free! I think a wee break would do you the world of good by the sounds of it, Sparkles. Two weeks max ought to do it I suspect and not three months like me! :rofl:

John S
1st-April-2005, 01:44 PM
Of course we do - get yourself back soon, please. :flower:

CJ
1st-April-2005, 01:45 PM
COME TO SCOTLAND!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

:flower:

spindr
1st-April-2005, 01:56 PM
I've recently been feeling a bit low about dancing, not enjoying lessons, finding taxiing more of a chore than a pleasure, starting to wonder if there are other things I should be doing besides dancing, and so on...
I was just wondering, how do other people on the forum cope when they feel like this?
The answer is yes :)

Have you any advice for me?
I guess it depends why you're going dancing?

If it's simply to learn to dance, and the teachers aren't inspiring -- then try a different class / style and move out of your comfort zone.

If it's to meet people and get a social scene?

Then going to different places can help -- although it's gonna' take some effort. The dance scene's great on a certain level -- everyone's happy to see you when you turn up -- but how many people call if you miss a week?

If it's to get fit?

Then try something else -- preferably with a quantifiable outcome -- e.g. running / weights / whatever? (aside: people can sometimes feel that the dance scene is appearance oriented -- e.g. feel that cute people get asked to dance first -- but being cute doesn't help you run faster :) )

OR
go to the same places, but for different reasons??
OR
take a break -- and enjoy it when you come back.
OR
just treat yourself to some new shoes!

SpinDr.

P.S. I don't dance in the metropolis much -- but I can recommend places in Hampshire, etc.

Gadget
1st-April-2005, 02:05 PM
Have a look at these threads for more words of wisdom:
Where's the fun? (http://www.cerocscotland.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1018)
knowing when it's time to take a break? (http://www.cerocscotland.com/forum/showthread.php?t=2609)
Fading enjoyment (http://www.cerocscotland.com/forum/showthread.php?t=4256)

Minnie M
1st-April-2005, 02:31 PM
....take a break, book a dance holiday, and all the other good advice given above!

:yeah: Take a good friend with you and try one that involves a different dance style, like swing or salsa if you can afford it try a dance cruise, there is even a Zydeco cruise :clap: a different crowd but you still have dancing in common and you are such a good dancer you will blend in beautifully :worthy:

Andy McGregor
1st-April-2005, 03:08 PM
I find it's the people rather than the dance that maintain my enthusiasm. And, it's the people rather than the dance that can sometimes cause my enthusiasm to wane :tears:

Dance with as many new people as you can. Avoid those people who drag you down - even a little bit (this advice applies only when you're feeling a bit down yourself). Mix with up-beat people and avoid down-beat people. Take stock of the things you love about dance and remind youself of the pleasure you usually get from them.

And my final bit of advice is to dance naked in the rain with me as often as you can*.

*it's worth a try :devil:

David Franklin
1st-April-2005, 03:41 PM
Mix with up-beat people and avoid down-beat people.
And my final bit of advice is to dance naked in the rain with me as often as you can*.

*it's worth a try :devil:[Obligatory straight line]That's a stupid idea Andy - it'll never work...[/OB straight line] :wink:

Gladrags
1st-April-2005, 04:11 PM
I find enthusiasm and also progression seem to ebb and flow on a pretty regular basis.

Progression in particular seems to plateau for a frustrating few months or so, and then suddenly I feel a better dancer, maybe because of that 'consolidation' time. This can also affect enthusiasm.

When enthusiasm goes, a couple of weeks off seems to do the trick, perhaps also related to the amount of previously late dancing nights avoided, and feeling refreshed. That "just one more dance/freestyle" feeling isn't always the most condusive to a good night.

Nothing like going to an unknown venue too, although the longer you're dancing, the harder it is to find those. And its always invigorating to receive a sincere dancing compliment.

A few more thoughts to ponder............

Lynn
1st-April-2005, 04:22 PM
Dance with as many new people as you can. :yeah: Much as I love MJ, at the moment, with the smallness of the group here, and the lack of classes, if we met together too often it would probably get a bit 'unenthusiastic' - for everybody concerned. I often go from not dancing for ages, to a weekender - dancing with lots of new people - so of course that would be fab!

Paul F
1st-April-2005, 04:49 PM
Got to agree with the points about maybe taking a break or going to a different venue. Both very good ways of re-invigorating your dancing.
I have decided to go down to the Marcus Garvey centre this weekend as I will be in Sheffield during the day. Just somehting a bit different. :D

Another way I usually get my enthusiasm back when im feeling a bit of the dancing blues (no pun intended) is watching films!!
I went through a stint where i bought loads of dance dvd's and videos. Watching those either gives me ideas or generally just makes me want to get out there and dance again :nice: Im not talking about instructional dvd's but rather films.

Plus, it doesnt matter what styles they are.......as long as they are dancing ;)

Trish
1st-April-2005, 05:11 PM
How about trying a private lesson with one of your local teachers? (there must be some good ones in London!) I tried this, when I went through a similar thing to you, and also stopped taxi dancing for about 6 weeks. I found I came back from it really enthusiastic and full of new ideas, and also had the time to try them out. Not quite so great on your bank balance though!

Hope you get the "high" back!!

Trish

Zuhal
1st-April-2005, 06:11 PM
The different dance style has worked for me.

Learning Salsa for 7 months, which is really hard work, makes a night out of MJ - pure fun.

It has taken me 6/7 months to be able to freestyle Salsa with some confidence but Woohoo. :waycool: Only another 10 years to become Stylish.

Zuhal

Lory
1st-April-2005, 06:59 PM
I've recently been feeling a bit low about dancing, ~snip~ starting to wonder if there are other things I should be doing besides dancing....
This is weird :confused:

There must be something in the air, as I've heard this from at least four people in the last couple of weeks :(

Lynn
2nd-April-2005, 11:21 AM
The different dance style has worked for me.

Learning Salsa for 7 months, which is really hard work, makes a night out of MJ - pure fun. That's about as far as I got with salsa, but then sort of stopped... But there is so much salsa here, that I have decided to get back to it and am going to a weekend of workshops that a local organiser is putting on. (Salsa 'weekend' here tend to normally be of the beginner / intermediate / advanced moves and mens/ladies styling - this one has all those but also workshops in body isolations, musicial interpretation, and even a jive workshop (6 beat, not MJ)) Looking forward to it!

Andreas
3rd-April-2005, 01:14 PM
This is weird :confused:

There must be something in the air, as I've heard this from at least four people in the last couple of weeks :(

It could well be the music. I find that I easily get fed up with the choice of music. Too many DJ's don't work with the dancers but play what they think does the job.

Admittedly, it is not easy to evaluate an MJ dancefloor that is only packed most of the time for the simple fact that people want to dance. Perhaps 'music themes' would do a good job, that way you could attract audience that actually for sure (?) will like the music you play. So instead of dressing up to whatever theme you make a point of playing music of only that theme, e.g. Swing/Jive/R'nR or Latin/Tango/Salsa/Merengue or Disco/Charts.

This ceertainly would suit me best but from a financial point of view it may not (?) be so great. But perhaps it would also address an additional clientel, hence be more profitable. Who knows.

:cheers:

Katie
3rd-April-2005, 03:25 PM

Perhaps give up the taxiing for a bit? If you did that would be one extra night to spend with friends outside of dancing or using it as 'me' time.

When I had a break from dancing, I spent time with other friends and then met new people through them - during the conversations they asked me what I liked doing and obviously said "I love to dance!" The reaction was usually big smiles and lots of questions. Then it occurred to me I was talking about it so much and that I missed it!

David Bailey
3rd-April-2005, 06:42 PM
Perhaps give up the taxiing for a bit? If you did that would be one extra night to spend with friends outside of dancing or using it as 'me' time.
:yeah: Definitely - taxiing can be hard work, and if you're not enjoying it, it's not doing you or the beginners any favours. I had the same problem, it became too much of a chore for me, I quit and returned to purely "dancing for fun" - it made a real difference to the enjoyment I got. Knowing I didn't have to dance, I could then be sure I was dancing because I wanted to. OK, it means spending more money, but it was worth it for me.

Little Monkey
4th-April-2005, 09:41 AM
Two years as a taxi dancer.... That made me pretty fed up, and I ended up not going back to ceroc for 9 months after that!!

Wanted to go to other classes (lindy, boogie woogie), but the dance classes on offer in Dundee are pretty limited...... And not having a car.... Anyone know if there are tango classes in Dundee???

At the moment I'm really enjoying dancing, though! Just wish I could get myself to more workshops and different venues... Saying that, last night at the Invercarse, I had some of the best dances I've had for months! Thanks, guys, you know who you are

Hi Sparkles!

Yep, I've felt pretty bored of ceroc at times.... As you can see from the quote above, I used to be a taxi, too, and in the end got thoroughly fed up. I'm now doing tango as well as ceroc, and am thinking of starting salsa, just for a bit of variation. Hopefully, after a while, I will start missing ceroc again!

I'm actually pretty fed up with ceroc again at the moment, and think it's mainly because: The classes aren't really inspiring me any more, nor teaching me anything new (very rarely, anyway). I normally dance as a man in the intermediate class, 'cus there's usually 8-15 women sitting out..... Also, it's always the same old crowd going, so I very rarely meet anyone new... And after two weeks in a row where I just didn't enjoy myself, I've kinda lost the spark. Definitely time for a break.

I will however go to Southport in June!! :clap: New venue, new teachers, new dj's, and lots of new people to dance with!!! :D Maybe that will put the spark back into my dancing?

Little Bored Monkey

Sparkles
4th-April-2005, 10:13 AM
Thank you all for your kind advice (please keep it coming) :flower:.

I have definitely considered a change in dance styles, but over the years I have done ballet, ballroom, latin, disco ( :eek: ), rock 'n' roll, ceroc, MJ, Jango, Argentine Tango, Salsa and West Coast Swing (and probably a few other styles that I can't even remember now). I've included solo, partner and team dancing. I've tried learning, teaching, coaching, choreographing, private lessons, intensive practice sessions, competitions, social dancing and taxiing. I've gone to clubs and tried dancing to house, garage, hip hop, cheesy, salsa and all sorts of music. And all of these styles I've ended up giving up on (for various reasons) - please forgive me, but I'm not interested in Lindy-hop, and although I thought 'Hustle' was brilliant at Bognor, no-where here teaches it here :tears:. I'm ashamed to admit it, but I've even looked into taking a pole-dancing course, just for something a bit different to do :blush: - but decided I couldn't live with all the smutty comments I was bound to get when people found out, so I didn't go.
If people know of classes for different styles of dancing that I've not already tried in the London area I'd be more than happy to hear about them. :nice:

As for the people that dance, the ones I would call 'my friends', I love them to pieces! :hug: They are the reason why I'm still going to MJ venues. They are the ones that make it for me, and they've all been incredibly supportive while I've been feeling like this (thank you, guys :kiss: ). I also look forward to seeing the people with whom I don't really consider myself to be anything more than aquaintences. But, as has been discussed so many times on this forum, it's the small number of sleazy, smelly, heavy-handed, stalker, smutty people that can make a dance night bad.

As for new venues, there are plenty of them to choose from and I've gone quite far afield and always tried to attend different dance nights whenever I can.

Maybe taking a break is the only option left for me :tears:. The problem with that is that I'm worried I'll lose touch and that my dancing will go downhill again (and I'll put all the weight back on :sad: ).

Maybe what I need is a new angle?
Or a brain transplant... :tears:

S. x

PS. I would love to come to Scotland (although limited funds and family committments are preventing me at present) - I have, however, already booked for Southport, so if I don't manage to make it up before hand I hope to see you all then :flower:.

CJ
4th-April-2005, 10:28 AM
PS. I would love to come to Scotland (although limited funds and family committments are preventing me at present) - I have, however, already booked for Southport, so if I don't manage to make it up before hand I hope to see you all then :flower:.

Sparkles (and this goes to anyone, I would imagine)

You get yourself here and we'll look after you. The missus and I could put you up, and I'm sure you'd get plenty of offers from other dancers of a place to rest your weary danced out head.

:flower:

MartinHarper
4th-April-2005, 11:27 AM
As for the people that dance, the ones I would call 'my friends', I love them to pieces! :hug: They are the reason why I'm still going to MJ venues.

Have you considered/tried going and not dancing at all - just having a chat, hanging by the bar, listening to the music, etc?

Divissima
4th-April-2005, 11:44 AM
If people know of classes for different styles of dancing that I've not already tried in the London area I'd be more than happy to hear about them. :nice:

Here's three suggestions:

Egyptian - I used to do this at the Pineapple studios and really enjoyed it
Ceilidh/Scottish Country Dancing - the Ceilidh Club do regular events with a live band and caller which can be a real riot
Brazilian Samba - never had the guts to try this one, but there are a few samba schools in London which participate in the Notting Hill Carnival.

I can PM with more details if any of these grab you :hug:

David Bailey
4th-April-2005, 12:21 PM
over the years I have done
(snip list of, well, everything)

Holy God, that's what I call a lot of dances. :worthy: :worthy:
Hmmm, I suspect yet another dance style* won't help you shake off ennui. Yes, have a break, sounds like you need it :)
We'll welcome you all the more when you return.

* Although pole-dancing would be interesting to see in MJ, we just don't have enough of this ancient and respectable dance form nowdays...

Daisy Chain
4th-April-2005, 12:34 PM
.... I have done ballet, ballroom, latin, disco ( :eek: ), rock 'n' roll, ceroc, MJ, Jango, Argentine Tango, Salsa and West Coast Swing. I've included solo, partner and team dancing.

What no morris dancing?

Daisy

(A Folky Little Flower)

Aleks
4th-April-2005, 12:39 PM
Maybe it's not really the dancing......

If you try and work out what it is (was) dancing gave you in the past (the excitement of a new challenge; new people; fun; laughter) and understand what specifically you're not feeling anymore, you'll have the key to unlocking your current boredom/frustrations.

Perhaps if you work out what other aspects of the night made it fun for you you will rediscover the magic in your night.

And if you want to visit Scotland soon there's always a bed for you in Edinburgh at our house... :kiss: :hug:

spindr
4th-April-2005, 01:23 PM
Just reminded of "a new angle" -- dancing in the sunshine, well at least outdoors...

Ballroom: http://www.broadwalkballroom.org/
Argentine tango: http://www.tangoalfresco.com/

and of course there's Lindy in the Park in SF :)

SpinDr.

Petal
4th-April-2005, 01:24 PM
I disappeared into a black hole of new job/overwork but it's Easter hols and I am free! :rofl:

Yes, been wondering where you were. Hope you're coming to visit us in Perth soon, and there's a party in Dundee on 7th May you would "both" enjoy. :hug:

Sheepman
4th-April-2005, 02:47 PM
Maybe it's not really the dancing......

If you try and work out what it is (was) dancing gave you in the past (the excitement of a new challenge; new people; fun; laughter) and understand what specifically you're not feeling anymore, you'll have the key to unlocking your current boredom/frustrations.
This may well be worthwhile, but I think it will often come down to one thing. The longer you've been dancing, (and maybe the better the dancer that you are?) then the harder it is to get those real highs that really make a night, or a weekender, and the easier it is for the things that make it a bad night to get in the way. I'm sure your 100th parachute jump doesn't have the same rush as the first one, even if it's a lot easier to do. (No, I'm not suggesting you take up parachuting!) It will be that much harder to find partners who can match your ability and stretch you. Although for many of us there can be a thrill in seeing someone progress and improve over the months, this may be harder for you, because with the taxiing, you are spending most of a night dancing with complete beginners.
Is it a case of needing a rest, new challenges, or simply working through the less enthusiastic period? I have tried all 3, but if it is a rest that is going to work best, then I would suggest that the dancing has to be replaced with something else. That could be difficult, seeing as various types of dancing have been such a large part of your life.
And if you do take a break, you know you will be sorely missed :tears: (I do love that "unenthusiastic" look you put on when we dance :wink: )

Greg

TheTramp
4th-April-2005, 03:01 PM
And if you want to visit Scotland soon there's always a bed for you in Edinburgh at our house... :kiss: :hug:
On the squeaky futon eh!! :flower:

El Salsero Gringo
4th-April-2005, 07:37 PM
If people know of classes for different styles of dancing that I've not already tried in the London area I'd be more than happy to hear about them.There's nothing for it, you're just going to have to become a belly dancer.

Aleks
4th-April-2005, 07:45 PM
On the squeaky futon eh!! :flower:

Any more of your lip and the offer of a place to sleep this weekend with be withdrawn :angry: !

David Bailey
4th-April-2005, 07:53 PM
There's nothing for it, you're just going to have to become a belly dancer.
There are belly dancing classes in North London, I think there's one in Golder's Green somewhere. I was going to suggest it, up until I read the massive list of dance styles Sparkles has done...

Gary
5th-April-2005, 01:29 AM
This may well be worthwhile, but I think it will often come down to one thing. The longer you've been dancing, (and maybe the better the dancer that you are?) then the harder it is to get those real highs that really make a night, or a weekender, and the easier it is for the things that make it a bad night to get in the way. ...
Maybe I'm just weird, but it seems to me that the longer I've been dancing (and hopefully I've been improving), it just gets better. I'm having a ball now, and I feel like I generally have much better dances than, say a year ago. :clap:

David Bailey
5th-April-2005, 08:55 AM
The longer you've been dancing, (and maybe the better the dancer that you are?) then the harder it is to get those real highs that really make a night, or a weekender, and the easier it is for the things that make it a bad night to get in the wayMaybe I'm just weird, but it seems to me that the longer I've been dancing (and hopefully I've been improving), it just gets better. I'm having a ball now, and I feel like I generally have much better dances than, say a year ago. :clap:
:yeah:
My enjoyment of individual dances does depend on the "level" of the dance to an extent - it's more fun when you can feel it rather than having to think too much about moves or leads. So I think I'd agree - although I also may be just weird :)

How much I enjoy dancing in general, and any individual dance session, varies depending on any number of factors, but mainly comes down to how I'm feeling in general. Having said that, sometimes my mood can go either way, especially if you have a few bad dances in a row - dancing can lift me, but can also depress me (more the former than the latter, thankfully!)

Basically, if it's an effort going to dance, then trust your instincts and don't go.

Little Monkey
5th-April-2005, 10:03 AM
Hmmmmmm........

I was determined to take a break from ceroc as I've not enjoyed it much for a while, but got talked into going last night by one of my friends...... I only went for the freestyle bit - and HAD A BALL!!! :clap: I had so many good dances, and thought the music was great! So maybe that break will have to wait......? We'll see..... At least I shall do tango and salsa as well, and hopefully this will make me a better dancer, and also improve my ceroc?

Thanks to all the lovely guys who danced with me last night :hug: .

Little Happy Monkey

PS - And my back isn't very sore at all! I made sure only to dance with good dancers who I knew wouldn't hurt me, so that way the dances I got were FAB, and my back survived the night!! :wink:

Little Em
5th-April-2005, 10:24 AM
I have had a few lulls aswell, an i always find that going out to diff venues helps, as you tend to have the thrill of new dancers, and diff music......

i had a break for about 3 moths once, an regretted it when i came back!! i thought of all those lost dances !!! :tears:

maybe as a teach, i should n b saying these things, but it doesn happen to everyone.... !!! :)

Little Em x x :innocent:

jivecat
5th-April-2005, 10:25 AM
There's nothing for it, you're just going to have to become a belly dancer.

I can recommend it. You get the chance to mince around in absurd costumes with lots of floaty/jangly/drapy/shiny/diaphanous bits and take part in choreographed routines with names like "The Dance of the Lebanese Virgins." There are few men involved, being Islamic, so it's good for girly bonding. There is a strong network of complete fanatics and you can go on weekenders as well as loads of local classes all over England. Encroaching age is no barrier, despite the emphasis on virgins. It helps if you're good at body ripples. Enables dowdy, overweight housewives to transform into exotic, shimmering, sensual goddesses at a beat of a tabla, with little more than the addition of a few finger cymbals.

So, a complete change from MJ, then.

stewart38
5th-April-2005, 11:58 AM
Maybe I'm just weird, but it seems to me that the longer I've been dancing (and hopefully I've been improving), it just gets better. I'm having a ball now, and I feel like I generally have much better dances than, say a year ago. :clap:

I was thought I was odd as Ive been dancing ceroc/leroc/jive over 10yrs and have never 'bored of it'.

Obvioulsy personal circumstances have changed over the yrs and the frequency has changed a lot (no women at present throwing plates at me if i got back 10 mins too late etc)

I go on holiday and dont 'miss it' at all but its part of my social life. Like some people getting ****ed down the pub is part of theres (and was mine in my 20s)

The one thing i keep saying is ill try Salsa (done a few lessons)

Ive been invited to a big Salsa event month end so maybe that will give me the kick I need ?

I would have thought if you dont enjoy it dont go ?

Sparkles
5th-April-2005, 01:22 PM
What no morris dancing?

Daisy

(A Folky Little Flower)

No, no morris dancing, but I did forget to add Barn and American Square dancing, Old Time (only a little bit) and Line dancing to the list.
If I think of any more I'll let you know.

S. x

TheTramp
5th-April-2005, 01:42 PM
There you go then. That's your problem. Get yourself down to the nearest Morris Dancing class......

Sparkles
5th-April-2005, 02:27 PM
Nah, I've given up bells :blush:

TheTramp
5th-April-2005, 04:27 PM
Nah, I've given up bells :blush:
I'll lend you a couple of hankies though!!! :waycool:

bigdjiver
6th-April-2005, 09:14 AM
Prhaps the real question is not why we lose our enthusiasm, but why we had it in the first place. Does anybody have an rational scientific explanation for why we spend their time jigging about to music? What useful purpose does it fulfil?

I once read of an ex-internationl soccer star, a week before retirement, staying behind after training, to practise a new trick. Whilst I am learning, and amongst people that are learning, I have no problem bein enthusiastic, in fact my problem is curbing my enthusiasm. Whatever the reason why I dance, I love it.

Dancing is madness, but feel sorry for the sane.

Sheepman
6th-April-2005, 11:15 AM
Nah, I've given up bells :blush: Oh yeah? Pull the other one, it's got bells ...
Uh oh! :confused:

Greg