PDA

View Full Version : The trouser pockets thing

David Bailey
31st-March-2005, 08:45 PM
Whilst I have a truly minimalist approach to bags, and indeed shoes, I believe I can hold my head up high in the fraternity of "unbelievable junk carried around in trouser pockets" society*. I recently excavated my dance trousers to find, in no particular order:
- 1 packet of mints, half-eaten
- 2 handkerchiefs (not used :))
- 1 white flannel (used - ewww)
- 1 mobile phone and 1 (separate) phone case
- 1 bulging wallet (unfortunately not with money :()
- 1 set of car keys
- 1 separate set of door keys
- Various receipts and other pieces of paper
- 1 contact lens case

The amazing thing is that I could still dance with all that, and without too many funny looks.

However, I'm sure someone can top that...?

* Possibly more one for the boys, this...

Gadget
31st-March-2005, 11:16 PM
na - I empty my pockets before dancing - even the wallet from my back pocket. I went sooo red when I had a packet of polos in my pocket one time and led a cuddle/basket move only to be asked in a sultry voice if I was enjoying that :what::blush: (I woundn't mind - but polos?! :wink: )

It's just too uncomfortable when the lady leans on your keys or you lunge and imprint the numbers from your mobile in your thigh.

Stuart
31st-March-2005, 11:34 PM
I also empty my pockets out after nearly stabbing a dance partner with my car keys during a lean. I do keep my glasses case in my back pocket though.

Yliander
1st-April-2005, 03:54 AM
It's just too uncomfortable when the lady leans on your keys or you lunge and imprint the numbers from your mobile in your thigh.or a lovely phone shaped bruise on your partners shin....

nothing in my pockets when I dance as I don't have them :D

David Bailey
1st-April-2005, 09:13 AM
na - I empty my pockets before dancing
Well, I empty my right hand pocket of all but "soft" things, of course, all the hard stuff (keys, phone etc.) goes in the left pocket, probably why I walk lopsided. You'd have to be doing weird dancing to whack someone with stuff in your left pocket - or indeed the back pocket :)

latinlover
1st-April-2005, 11:36 AM
Whilst I have a truly minimalist approach to bags, and indeed shoes, I believe I can hold my head up high in the fraternity of "unbelievable junk carried around in trouser pockets" society*. I recently excavated my dance trousers to find, in no particular order:
- 1 packet of mints, half-eaten
- 2 handkerchiefs (not used :))
- 1 white flannel (used - ewww)
- 1 mobile phone and 1 (separate) phone case
- 1 bulging wallet (unfortunately not with money :()
- 1 set of car keys
- 1 separate set of door keys
- Various receipts and other pieces of paper
- 1 contact lens case

The amazing thing is that I could still dance with all that, and without too many funny looks.

* Possibly more one for the boys, this...

:worthy: respect!
I think we should call you "Tardis Trousers"

El Salsero Gringo
1st-April-2005, 11:59 AM
Well, I empty my right hand pocket of all but "soft" things, of course, all the hard stuff (keys, phone etc.) goes in the left pocket, probably why I walk lopsided. You'd have to be doing weird dancing to whack someone with stuff in your left pocket - or indeed the back pocket :)

There's a move I like as an ice-breaker (if you can't raise a smile with this, it's time to go home) which is the two "bumps" of a Side-to-side followed by a third where you quickly lift your arms and bump hip-to-hip.Anything in your left pocket tends to cause pain though.

OK, So I am a bit wierd...

Daisy Chain
1st-April-2005, 12:06 PM

Occasionally, after a spin, my partner finds my hand in his trouser pocket. I have yet to find anything worth reporting in any man's pocket :blush:

Daisy

A Mortified Little Flower)

jivecat
1st-April-2005, 12:39 PM
na - I empty my pockets before dancing - even the wallet from my back pocket. I went sooo red when I had a packet of polos in my pocket one time and led a cuddle/basket move only to be asked in a sultry voice if I was enjoying that :what::blush: (I woundn't mind - but polos?! :wink: )

Emptying your pockets is the only decent thing to do, IMO. Saves those "Is that a gun in his pocket? Pleeease, God, I hope so!" moments.

If Gadget's partner was impressed by a packet of Polos, TardisTrousers' partners must think he's Errol Flynn! :innocent:

ElaineB
1st-April-2005, 01:18 PM
Once saw a Lady with a mobile 'phone in her bra!! Presume she was ni**le dialing? :whistle:

Elaine

David Bailey
1st-April-2005, 02:58 PM
If Gadget's partner was impressed by a packet of Polos, ' partners must think he's Errol Flynn! :innocent:
Latinlover: "From this moment on, you shall now be known as TardisTrousers"
jivecat, ESG, Daisy Chain: "TardisTrousers! Hoo ha ha!"
Latinlover: "Welcome, Brother TardisTrousers!"
jivecat, ESG, Daisy Chain: "TardisTrousers! Hoo ha ha!"
Latinlover: "Enough with the TardisTrousers."

Hmmm, maybe I should just empty my pockets; I certainly never got any Errol action through my trouser contents. OK, maybe that could have been phrased better :whistle:

Zebra Woman
1st-April-2005, 02:58 PM
Emptying your pockets is the only decent thing to do, IMO. Saves those "Is that a gun in his pocket? Pleeease, God, I hope so!" moments.

If Gadget's partner was impressed by a packet of Polos, TardisTrousers' partners must think he's Errol Flynn! :innocent:

:yeah:

I danced with David aka 'Tardis Trousers' and I thought we were playing the hands free version of 'Guess what's in the bag (/pocket)'

:really: :eek: :sick:

What was my score David? :whistle:

David Bailey
1st-April-2005, 03:00 PM
:yeah:

I danced with David aka 'Tardis Trousers' and I thought we were playing the hands free version of 'Guess what's in the bag (/pocket)'

:really: :eek: :sick:

What was my score David? :whistle:
OK, already, I'll empty my pockets :tears:

El Salsero Gringo
1st-April-2005, 03:06 PM
OK, already, I'll empty my pockets :tears:
It's far far too late - the damage is already done.

See you on Monday, TardisTrousers!

Hoo ha ha

Zebra Woman
1st-April-2005, 03:17 PM
It's far far too late - the damage is already done.

See you on Monday, TardisTrousers!

Hoo ha ha

:rofl:

But on the positive side, Modern Jive is now a better place :clap:

PLUS

David now has an obvious outfit for any future BFG/Forumite gathering....

He just has to build them....

Where's DS when you need him?

PLUS

Billie Piper after a little hesitation over her plastic boyfriend , may just get in them.... :drool:

David Bailey
1st-April-2005, 03:24 PM
Billie Piper after a little hesitation over her plastic boyfriend , may just get in them.... :drool:
:confused: Didn't know you liked Billie that way ZW :grin: - you'll have to explain it to me...

Rhythm King
1st-April-2005, 03:26 PM
:rofl:

Just get in them? She's quite petite you know, it sounds like there's enough room for the Dagenham Girls' Pipe Band to get in them!!

Muhurrhurrhurr

Ballroom queen
22nd-April-2005, 09:37 PM
I also empty my pockets out after nearly stabbing a dance partner with my car keys during a lean.

Thank you - can you encourage all the guys to empty pockets! :yeah:

MartinHarper
25th-April-2005, 09:24 AM
I think I'd be concerned about the risk of theft. Losing a pair of dance shoes is bad enough, but losing cash, phone, credit card, and car keys would be unfortunate.

jivecat
25th-April-2005, 10:18 AM
I think I'd be concerned about the risk of theft. Losing a pair of dance shoes is bad enough, but losing cash, phone, credit card, and car keys would be unfortunate.

I've left these items in my bag unsupervised every single time I've been dancing for over three years, with no losses. I do leave my chequebook at home as a security precaution, however. I thought all Ceroc ladies did this, there's not that much alternative. Am I the only one?

Oops, perhaps I shouldn't be publicising this.

Northants Girly
25th-April-2005, 10:31 AM
I've left these items in my bag unsupervised every single time I've been dancing for over three years, with no losses. I do leave my chequebook at home as a security precaution, however. I thought all Ceroc ladies did this, there's not that much alternative. Am I the only one?

Oops, perhaps I shouldn't be publicising this.I only take a small amount of cash out with me when I'm dancing and I leave all my cards and chequebook at home. I do worry about having my phone nicked though as this did happen to me once whilst out - at a school reunion though not at Ceroc!

Graham
25th-April-2005, 10:33 AM
I think class nights are relatively secure because the potential thief would have to monitor the movements of not just the owner of the bag/coat/etc, but of all the friends of the owner who might spot them up to no good. Simply put, the risk of getting caught is unattractively high. That's not to say it will never happen - I just think that's why it's rare.

And just to add, the closest I've come to losing an item at Ceroc was when my watch fell out of my pocket. Luckily someone spotted it and handed it in.

Nick M
25th-April-2005, 10:35 AM
I went sooo red when I had a packet of polos in my pocket one time and led a cuddle/basket move only to be asked in a sultry voice if I was enjoying that :what::blush: (I woundn't mind - but polos?! :wink: )

That's why I always carry a King-sized Yorkie in my trouser pocket when dancing

Northants Girly
25th-April-2005, 10:39 AM
That's not to say it will never happen - I just think that's why it's rare.There was a handbag thief caught at Southport last September. From what I've been told, the thief's method was to befriend someone at the edge of the dance floor then ask them something which would result in her finding out which bag belonged to them. Then when her intended victim got up to dance the thief picked up the bag and walked off with it knowing that no-one was watching.
It was very good news when we heard that she had been caught though!

David Bailey
25th-April-2005, 11:53 AM
That's why I always carry a King-sized Yorkie in my trouser pocket when dancing
Swiftly turning into a king-sized mushy choccie sludge :sick:

"Is that 400g of melted chocolate in your pocket, or are you just pleased to see me?" doesn't quite have that ring to it...

Graham
25th-April-2005, 12:26 PM
Or even "Is that 400g of melted chocolate in your pocket, or are you just terrified of me?" :wink: :blush:

philsmove
25th-April-2005, 12:58 PM
As this is a Scottish forum im surprised no one has mentioned the sporran

CJ
25th-April-2005, 01:07 PM
The sporran wasn't designed with dancing in mind!! :eek:

Modern kilts do have inside pockets, though. :clap: Enough for the essentials, without being able to cram in unnecessaries... Yorkie, anyone?!?

Ballroom queen
25th-April-2005, 02:02 PM

I've been dancing in London for about 10 years and only once heard of a theft from a bloke's bag. All us girls have to leave stuff in bags. In general the ceroc venues tend to be pretty safe but I might be more cautious at other more general events. And as someone else suggested - don't bring all cards and large amounts of cash etc etc

El Salsero Gringo
25th-April-2005, 02:05 PM
It was very good news when we heard that she had been caught though!Is it just me that's always surprised to imagine that a bag-thief could be a woman? I know it's a terrible predjudice but I always imagine that things get stolen by men.

David Bailey
25th-April-2005, 02:12 PM
Is it just me that's always surprised to imagine that a bag-thief could be a woman? I know it's a terrible predjudice but I always imagine that things get stolen by men.
I suspect a man might look slightly more conspicuous walking away with a handbag though... :)

stewart38
25th-April-2005, 02:37 PM
na - I empty my pockets before dancing - even the wallet from my back pocket.

and put them where ? If there cloakroom facilities all well and good

Im not leaving my car keys or wallet in a jacket of the dance floor ?

people take wrong jacket by mistake or was spate of thefts at venue a while back.

If im not meeting up with someone mobile usually stays in car

any leans (keys etc would be in other pocket ) i only lean one way :sick:

If i dont leave mobile in car ill risk it in co

David Bailey
25th-April-2005, 03:35 PM
and put them where ? If there cloakroom facilities all well and good

Im not leaving my car keys or wallet in a jacket of the dance floor ?

people take wrong jacket by mistake or was spate of thefts at venue a while back.

Good points - one of my friends had her jacket taken by mistake, with her car and house keys in it, fortunately she got home (and a spare set), but could have been a nightmare as the jacket didn't get returned until the following week. Most rude of the jacket-taker, I have to say...

As a born-again minimalist, I now have the absolute minimum cluttering up my pockets:
- 1 car key (detach house keys, leave in car)
- some folding money (wallet in car)
- flannel for brow-mopping in-between dances.

That's it - it can be done!

As for cloakrooms, not many Ceroc venues have them, and even fewer have secure ones - e.g. at Hammersmith (last time I went) they just have a set of coat hangers on a rack, anyone can rummage through them. Possibly safer at your table...

Ballroom queen
25th-April-2005, 08:24 PM
ok, if you have to please ensure the minimum is in the LEFT pocket. :)

MartinHarper
25th-April-2005, 11:11 PM
All us girls have to leave stuff in bags.

Well, "have to"? You could buy proper trousers...
(and yes, I know how difficult it is to find girls' clothing with sensibly sized pockets)

Anyways, I do appreciate the reassurances. In a wild break from tradition, I emptied my pockets prior to dancing today, and I was relieved to see that everything was still there when I returned. Maybe dance venues aren't the wretched hive of scum and villainy that I had imagined.

I'm still not convinced the rewards are worth the risks, though.

David Bailey
26th-April-2005, 08:01 AM
Maybe dance venues aren't the wretched hive of scum and villainy that I had imagined.
Well, only Hammersmith, maybe :)

Seriously, I'm 99.9% sure all your stuff would be safe at any MJ venue. The trouble is, I'm 100% sure it'd be safe in my pockets.

And that little 0.1% could make me worry, go back and check, etc. - all stuff which will affect my enjoyment of the evening, and probably not help my dancing much either.

So I've compromised, as described. Knowing my luck, though, I'll probably go out from a venue and find my car's been nicked... :sick:

Ballroom queen
26th-April-2005, 01:27 PM
Well, "have to"? You could buy proper trousers...
(and yes, I know how difficult it is to find girls' clothing with sensibly sized pockets)

but most men I know want us to be in skirts, and they look really silly with pockets filled.

Lynn
26th-April-2005, 01:45 PM
There was a handbag thief caught at Southport last September. From what I've been told, the thief's method was to befriend someone at the edge of the dance floor then ask them something which would result in her finding out which bag belonged to them. Then when her intended victim got up to dance the thief picked up the bag and walked off with it knowing that no-one was watching.
It was very good news when we heard that she had been caught though! 3 of the NI girls sat at a table to set down bags etc. One carefully put her bag under something, out of sight, the other two left theirs sitting in view - then all 3 did the workshop. The hidden bag was the one the thief went for - she must have thought there were valuables in it if it was worth hiding - she left the other two.

I go for the small purse with a little cash option so if something is taken I haven't lost too much but that isn't always an option - eg if you are at an all day event. None of the trousers I wear dancing have any pockets!

jivecat
26th-April-2005, 09:10 PM
If im not meeting up with someone mobile usually stays in car

While there have never been any thefts from the dance hall at Leicester, AFAIK, there have been at least 2 incidents over the past year of the cars outside being broken into. There are now very conspicuous security patrols for the carpark.