PDA

View Full Version : Swingin' the Blues

Whitebeard
31st-March-2005, 01:01 AM
Seems there's the possibility of attending, in the local area, a couplet of workshops (one hour, short break, another hour) entitled as above and taught by Nigel and Nina . Sounds like an opportunity that shouldn't be missed, but I have a touch of the collywobbles on account of my limited ability, experience and, indeed, endurance.

Can anyone give me an idea what to expect and offer some reassurance or, alternatively, warn that "this aint for you mate".

ChrisA
31st-March-2005, 09:12 AM
Seems there's the possibility of attending, in the local area, a couplet of workshops (one hour, short break, another hour) entitled as above and taught by Nigel and Nina . Sounds like an opportunity that shouldn't be missed, but I have a touch of the collywobbles on account of my limited ability, experience and, indeed, endurance.

Can anyone give me an idea what to expect and offer some reassurance or, alternatively, warn that "this aint for you mate".
Be reassured. :cheers:

Definitely do it if you have the opportunity!!!! Even if it's difficult (it was hugely difficult for me the first time I did it), you'll benefit. Learning to dance nicely to slow music is one of the best things, and they teach it beautifully.

STB was something I went on at the suggestion of a lady I danced with once - I was totally unmusical at the time, and she put up with me crashing through the breaks, but very generously suggested the workshop as feedback for me. It made a big difference to my awareness of what was going on in the music, and started me on a road to improvement.

Don't even think of not going - and don't worry about endurance. The effort is mostly mental, not physical, and even if you only remember the early parts of the workshop, it will still be beneficial.

:cheers:

clevedonboy
31st-March-2005, 09:25 AM
I assume from your location that you're talking about St Bons on 23/4, I've booked tickets for this already. I've been dancing 6 months - Sherif assured me that I'll be up to it, so I hope he's right!

Almost an Angel
31st-March-2005, 10:34 AM

Definately go for it. As echoed by Chris A, dancing well to slow music is something that takes time, practice and lots of lessons, but N&N are the best. :worthy: It's well worth taking the time to master this skill, I won't say it's easy at first, it's not but the rewards are well worth it. :wink:

It adds a new dimension to your dancing, and can not only be used during 'slow' records but also during musical breaks or changes in tempo found in some music.

For my own preference I will actively seek out men I know are capable of leading blues during a slower music over those I know who are not. Before I get acused of being picky I'm not, I am happy to and do dance with anyone and everyone who asks (or who I ask), this is about knowing I will enjoy the dance more with someone who is able to interpret the music. (OK and let me play too) :wink:

Chef
31st-March-2005, 10:56 AM
The simple answer is "go". I will extend this answer a bit further. If Nigel and Nina are teacing a workshop within a two hour drive (each way) of you then go to it no matter what they are teaching. If they are teaching a lesson that you have been to once before then go again - I have always found that there are things in their lessons that I have not fully grasped the first time around.

If they are teaching lessons that have titles like Musicality, stops and breaks, spinning, lead and follow, how to dance to fast music, then consider them compulsory and vital to your dance developement. (Drive up to 3 hours for these lessons).

Happy dancing

Whitebeard
31st-March-2005, 12:00 PM
I assume from your location that you're talking about St Bons on 23/4, I've booked tickets for this already. I've been dancing 6 months - Sherif assured me that I'll be up to it, so I hope he's right!
No, for me, it's even better than that - it's in Bishops Cleeve on 24/4, just the other side of the racecourse from Cheltenham and organised by Gary and Sara Boon (http://www.jiveandswing.co.uk/). St Bons would be too far for me these days.

Gary's also, I've just learned, putting on monthly dances on a Sunday (6.30-10.00 - after T ??) at the same venue; which is great news. I'm happy with the Ceroc classes but these dances should give a spice of variety. Missed two, but will be going to the third. Judging by the photos they'll have a very different atmosphere; and there's H featuring prominently so it's live and let live round here.

bigdjiver
31st-March-2005, 01:04 PM
My problem with the blues is losing the inappropriate parts of my MJ, (and lack of practise) Very little of the workshop I attended was about moves. A bit of experience in MJ, swing and / or other dance forms is useful, but blues is all about adopting a new mind-set.
Blues is a close encounters dance, and is not for everybody. Every workshop I have been on has had some early departees. (Alas, I had to be one of them, once.) Some of these would be because of matters arising (me), but some of the ladies definitely seemed to be averse to the physical contact.
From my experience I would recommend any N&N workshop, or by teachers in those organised by Daniel Sandars. www.bluesdance.org to anyone that is able to freestyle. It may not all be retained at the time, but you will be able to draw on the experience as you progress.

Lynn
31st-March-2005, 10:00 PM
My very first weekender workshop was Nigel & Nina (and it was about midnight as I recall - which is actually a really good time for blues dancing), and I had been dancing about 6 months at that stage (one hour class and about 25 mins freestyle per week). They are very good teachers, I have always got a lot out of any of their classes I have been to. Go for it, if you find you don't like blues, well, then you will have found that out... but even if you didn't enjoy the style (I love blues myself) you will learn from the workshop.

bigdjiver
1st-April-2005, 10:18 PM
The newsletter from Emma of Ceroc Central is now advertising a blues workshop, which I have no doubt will be an easy sell-out. Some questions then are, will their DJ's start playing more blues tracks? How are they going to support properly so many flavours of MJ? Will blues start to infiltrate normal classes?

MartinHarper
2nd-April-2005, 01:56 AM
The music at "Duke's Place" (the venue Whitebeard is talking about) typically includes a fair chunk of music suited to fast Lindy and Balboa. It'll be interesting to see to what extent that changes on the 24th.

Irritatingly, I'm required for a concert on the 24th, so I might not be able to make it to N&N's class. :-(

clevedonboy
2nd-April-2005, 11:14 AM
The music at "Duke's Place" (the venue Whitebeard is talking about) typically includes a fair chunk of music suited to fast Lindy and Balboa. It'll be interesting to see to what extent that changes on the 24th.

Irritatingly, I'm required for a concert on the 24th, so I might not be able to make it to N&N's class. :-(

As I posted earlier - 23/4 in bristol http://www.leroc2000.co.uk