PDA

View Full Version : Doctor Who (may contain spoilers)

Stuart
29th-March-2005, 04:39 PM
Seeing as nobody else has mentioned this (apart from the Graham Norton interlude!) I thought I'd start this. What did people think of the new Doctor Who?

I have to say that I enjoyed it. It seemed strange seeing Christopher Eccleston in something that wasn't a serious role but you could see he was trying to do something different with his character. I'm not sure about Billie Piper yet, I'll have to see a couple more episodes before I make up my mind.

I also liked the man eating wheelie bin. The special effects involved in that were well up with the "best" of earlier Doctor Who's.

Gadget
29th-March-2005, 05:26 PM
Yea - you could see the wheelie-bin thing coming a mile off; made me laugh. He reminds me of {the one with the scarf} with all that inane grinning and odd comments.

David Bailey
29th-March-2005, 07:44 PM
I liked it - I even video'd it and re-watched it, and it was as good or better the second time around. Billie Piper was pretty good - as good as Ecclestone in her way. Shame her boyfriend survived though, I was rooting for the Wheelie-bin Of Death :)

David Bailey
29th-March-2005, 07:53 PM
He reminds me of {the one with the scarf} with all that inane grinning and odd comments.
Yes, you're going to have to narrow it down a bit more with those criteria :)

Robin
30th-March-2005, 02:03 AM
Yes, you're going to have to narrow it down a bit more with those criteria :)

Tom Baker :sic:

Robin
30th-March-2005, 02:05 AM

Just a thought - and really to be found elsewhere, but I wonder how many forumites could actually name all the Dr's?

just curious

Gadget
30th-March-2005, 08:52 AM
:yeah: him.
I thought that Rose's (?) clamatic "will I help him, won't I?" was a bit drawn out. I don't envy the doctor an assistant who can't spot a plastic boyfriend and hesitates so long before stepping into the frey.

Rhythm King
30th-March-2005, 10:26 AM
I really enjoyed it! I thought the Doctor was refreshingly different but with enough of the old to have continuity of the character. Billie Piper was actually very good and I liked her character. Even the TARDIS makeover is good. I found the programme to be exciting, funny, sexy and I managed to watch the whole thing without having to dive behind the sofa. (My sister and I actually did that, when Dr Who first started :blush: ). The only thing that's different is the way each episode is a complete story. One of the big things with the old Dr Who was that each week ended with a cliff hanger. I too watched the episode twice and it was only the second time through that I realised that the applause and odd voices in the basement scene were breakthroughs from Strictly Dance Fever - D'oh!

Stuart
30th-March-2005, 06:55 PM
According to the BBC website a second series has been commissioned:

Second series for Doctor Who (http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/entertainment/tv_and_radio/4395147.stm)

Dance Demon
30th-March-2005, 07:19 PM
Just a thought - and really to be found elsewhere, but I wonder how many forumites could actually name all the Dr's?

just curious

Peter Cushing ( In the film Version)
William Hartnell
Patrick Troughton
Jon Pertwee
Tom baker
Peter Davidson
another Baker (can't remember his first name)
Sylvester Mccoy
Christopher Ecclestone
Think that's them all. Sad Really, coz I'm not even a fan :really:

SwingSwingSwing
30th-March-2005, 07:29 PM
and there was Paul McGann in the USA film version....

SwingSwingSwing

Emma
30th-March-2005, 07:50 PM
My favourite line:

'Lots of planets have a North'

hee

Stuart
30th-March-2005, 08:13 PM
Peter Cushing ( In the film Version)
William Hartnell
Patrick Troughton
Jon Pertwee
Tom baker
Peter Davidson
another Baker (can't remember his first name)
Sylvester Mccoy
Christopher Ecclestone
Think that's them all. Sad Really, coz I'm not even a fan :really:

It was Colin Baker. I saw him once playing Banquo in "The Scottish Play" at Leicester Haymarket!

David Bailey
31st-March-2005, 11:24 AM
Oh no... he's quit! (http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/entertainment/tv_and_radio/4395849.stm) :tears: :tears:

Gadget
31st-March-2005, 12:18 PM
I know; just as they announced a commission for a second series.

Simon r
31st-March-2005, 12:24 PM
Cool bring back tom baker instead......
wonder if they will do the transformation in to the new doctor like the last series

Pink Lady
31st-March-2005, 12:41 PM
Well I have to say, as a complete "Dr Who" virgin, that I enjoyed it. Good special effects and even a decent story-line! I must have been more absorbed in it than I thought because I never noticed these "voices" and noises from Graham Norton & co in the background that everyone is commenting on!

Feelingpink
31st-March-2005, 01:11 PM
Oh no... he's quit! (http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/entertainment/tv_and_radio/4395849.stm) :tears: :tears:

With the delish Christopher Ecclestone gone as the doctor, there is talk of David Tennant taking over. Oh well. Couldn't we have Eddie Izzard for the next series? :drool: Other thoughts?

Gadget
31st-March-2005, 01:11 PM
Cool bring back tom baker instead......
wonder if they will do the transformation in to the new doctor like the last series
I think that they are in talks with someone from their "cassanova" series. (and I did hear that they delibretly didn't want to do the 'transformation' thing with the first of the new series... but it may change with the next I suppose)

David Bailey
31st-March-2005, 04:08 PM
With the delish Christopher Ecclestone gone as the doctor, there is talk of David Tennant taking over. Oh well. Couldn't we have Eddie Izzard for the next series? :drool: Other thoughts?

Bill Nighy's the Man - David Tennant, yuk, too young...

Stuart
31st-March-2005, 04:18 PM
I read somewhere that Time Lords only have a set number of regenerations and that they have gone through that number already!

Personally I think that Alan Davies would make a good Doctor. IMHO the Casanova bloke is a bit on the young side.

Lounge Lizard
31st-March-2005, 05:08 PM
I missed it - I was working Sat & Sunday and did not record it
any ideas of repeats being shown on BBC 3 or Sky?

Why has hollywood passed the DR. Who concept by
must be loads of scope for a blockbuster movie
p

clevedonboy
31st-March-2005, 05:58 PM
I read somewhere that Time Lords only have a set number of regenerations and that they have gone through that number already!

12 or 13 from my dim memory BUT they did reset the masters regen count in one episode (I think) and there was the girlie timelord who went through several regens in one episode just for fun (I think - long time ago now) I'm sure they'll think of something :D

David Bailey
31st-March-2005, 07:44 PM
Why has hollywood passed the DR. Who concept by
must be loads of scope for a blockbuster movie
They did, that was the horrible Paul McGann thing... (Shudder).
I quite like the idea of a new Doctor each year, it'll be novel at least. Still want Bill though - can live with anyone but Casanova guy really (so that's who'll get it I'm sure :()

Rhythm King
1st-April-2005, 11:19 AM
They did, that was the horrible Paul McGann thing... (Shudder).
I quite like the idea of a new Doctor each year, it'll be novel at least. Still want Bill though - can live with anyone but Casanova guy really (so that's who'll get it I'm sure :()

That was a BBC TV movie, whihc wasn't that bad really, just not as good as the new series. Peter Cushing made two appearances as the Doctor, in Hammer films in the 60s (His niece Susan was played by a girl at stage school with my sister at the time - cue embarrassing schoolboy crush memory :blush: . Whatever happened to Roberta Tovey?)
The Casanova connection seems to be likely, given that the programmes share the same producer.

Bill Nighe? Hmm, I like your thinking...

latinlover
1st-April-2005, 12:17 PM
Bill Nighy's the Man - ...

perfect choice :cool: :waycool:

Lynn
1st-April-2005, 12:33 PM
I enjoyed the episode on Saturday. I thought it was very typical Doctor Who - just the right balance of being scary enough but not too much for the children watching. I thought Eccelston did the 'distracted Doctor' thing well and I liked the Tardis revamp.

Lynn
1st-May-2005, 10:19 PM
Wondered what anyone thought of this weeks episode? I thought bringing a Dalek into it was good. I like the little puns - eg last weeks 'massive weapons of destruction' capable of being fired in 45 seconds, and this weeks many references to the Daleks limitations - giant pepperpot, how the sink plunger thing didn't seem dangerous and it getting stuck by stairs - then managing to make it almost indestructable.

I'm warming to Christopher Eccleston too, I think he's the best since Tom Baker and wish he was staying on for another series.

Stuart
2nd-May-2005, 08:50 AM
I thought it was the best episode yet of the series. I don't remember the Daleks of the past being so inventive about how they exterminated people though.

Lynn
2nd-May-2005, 10:10 AM
I don't remember the Daleks of the past being so inventive about how they exterminated people though. Ah but don't forget - this one had downloaded the entire Internet - so probably got some ideas from that. Before it had it was simply using its death ray (attempted - on the Doctor, but broken) and its sink plunger (on the torturer). Then it got a bit more creative.

Stuart
2nd-May-2005, 10:29 AM
True.

The rotating bit in the middle also stopped people from disabling Daleks by running up behind and throwing a blanket over the top of it!

David Bailey
2nd-May-2005, 10:35 AM
Wondered what anyone thought of this weeks episode? I thought bringing a Dalek into it was good. I like the little puns - eg last weeks 'massive weapons of destruction' capable of being fired in 45 seconds, and this weeks many references to the Daleks limitations - giant pepperpot, how the sink plunger thing didn't seem dangerous and it getting stuck by stairs - then managing to make it almost indestructable.

I'm warming to Christopher Eccleston too, I think he's the best since Tom Baker and wish he was staying on for another series.
:yeah: :yeah:

Exactly my thoughts.

My only quibble with an otherwise-fantastic episode was that it got a bit too much like Return of the Jedi at the end, Darth Dalek unmasking... I half-expected the Dalek to say "I am your father, Doctor" when it was doing the sunbathing thing :)

Lynn
2nd-May-2005, 11:45 AM
True.

The rotating bit in the middle also stopped people from disabling Daleks by running up behind and throwing a blanket over the top of it! Or a towel.

Oops - wrong SF galaxy...

El Salsero Gringo
2nd-May-2005, 12:45 PM
Did I miss something? Are all the Time Lords now extinct in a war with the Daleks? How is that possibly consistent with their ability (and the Doctor's ability) to travel through time and affect the course of history?

I can't see how the Daleks could possibly win since the Time Lords (or even just the Doctor) could just travel back and tweak things so that they won like a kind of interstellar Terminator.

Do you think the Time Lords had their own version of SciFi? What did their Saturday night television feature? Did they dance Ceroc do you think? (If it didn't exist, surely you'd have to invent it.)

Lynn
2nd-May-2005, 01:31 PM
Did I miss something? Are all the Time Lords now extinct in a war with the Daleks? It would seem so, I wasn't sure if this was in a storyline years ago and I just couldn't remember it or if this is a recent development we are finding out about now.
How is that possibly consistent with their ability (and the Doctor's ability) to travel through time and affect the course of history?

I can't see how the Daleks could possibly win since the Time Lords (or even just the Doctor) could just travel back and tweak things so that they won like a kind of interstellar Terminator. The Doctor referred to it as a Time War - which would suggest that it was either 'outside' of time or used time as a weapon/battleground in some way - so it might not have been possible to go back in time and change events as those events weren't subject to the normal rules of time and time travel.

(And Time lives in a glass house - oops wrong SF galaxy again! :whistle: )

David Bailey
2nd-May-2005, 07:54 PM
Did I miss something? Are all the Time Lords now extinct in a war with the Daleks? How is that possibly consistent with their ability (and the Doctor's ability) to travel through time and affect the course of history?

Clearly you haven't been rabidly following it, tsk tsk.
There've been lots of references to it, in pretty much all the previous episodes - he told Rose about the extinction in Episode 2, and we got a bit more in other episodes. Baically, it all ended in a big bang somehow, with both Gallifrey and (we now know) lots of Daleks all being blown up, or something.

Although any hegemonistic race dumb enough to put all their members in one battle fleet deserves to be wiped out... Don't ask me, I just watch it.

I can't see how the Daleks could possibly win since the Time Lords (or even just the Doctor) could just travel back and tweak things so that they won like a kind of interstellar Terminator.
Good point, who knows? ( :) )
But since it was called a Time War, one would assume that both had time travel, otherwise, yep, pretty pointless.

Stuart
2nd-May-2005, 08:45 PM
The whole point about being a time traveller is that even though the Daleks have been wiped out, the Doctor can travel back in time and fight them all over again!

Lynn
2nd-May-2005, 11:38 PM
Been thinking about this time travel aspect of the Doctor - it must have limitations - especially with regard to changing things like people getting killed. If not then why would he have been upset when he thought the Dalek had killed Rose - if he could just go back in time and make sure it hadn't happened? So I don't think its quite that easy to go back in time and change things that have happened - and you can get into all sorts of loops about this (anyone who had read The Last Continent by Prachett could think of Stibbons and Ridcully's discussion about stepping on an ant - if they did something in the past then it would have happened already, so therefore they must do it so it happens...things that happen stay happened.)

Okay - I think all this studying (working on assignments due in on Wed) is going to my head - I'm thinking way too much about this!

DavidY
2nd-May-2005, 11:55 PM
Anyone else see good potential for a feature length episode/ film?

"Doctor Who: The Last Time War" - as a kind of prequel ..um .. sequel .. um .. midquel (?)

Lynn
3rd-May-2005, 12:08 AM
Anyone else see good potential for a feature length episode/ film?

"Doctor Who: The Last Time War" - as a kind of prequel ..um .. sequel .. um .. midquel (?)But who would the Doctor be? Unless they got a previous Doctor back to do it, it would have to be a regeneration we hadn't seen before... (or maybe they could persuade Christopher Eccleston, please?)

David Bailey
3rd-May-2005, 08:00 AM
But who would the Doctor be? Unless they got a previous Doctor back to do it, it would have to be a regeneration we hadn't seen before... (or maybe they could persuade Christopher Eccleston, please?)
Doubt if the Beeb SFX budget could stretch to planet-exploding levels :)

But apparently there's a Christmas special planned, maybe that'll be it.

Lynn
8th-May-2005, 01:26 PM
Been thinking about this time travel aspect of the Doctor - it must have limitations - especially with regard to changing things like people getting killed. If not then why would he have been upset when he thought the Dalek had killed Rose - if he could just go back in time and make sure it hadn't happened? So I don't think its quite that easy to go back in time and change things that have happened - and you can get into all sorts of loops about this From the trailer shown at the end last night, it appears this is the very subject that will be addressed next week - about Rose going back and trying to stop her father from being killed.

And noticed that 'Bad Wolf' was mentioned yet again - its cropped up every week apparently.

David Bailey
9th-May-2005, 07:51 PM
From the trailer shown at the end last night, it appears this is the very subject that will be addressed next week - about Rose going back and trying to stop her father from being killed.

Gotta say, I think this is dodgy territory to cover - classic time-travel paradox, and Doctor Who has avoided mentioning it for seriously good reasons, i.e. there's no good answer. But I'd be interested to see how they resolve the (Grand)father paradox.

Then again, I had a 5-minute conversation today with a workmate about whether Noddy fancies Tessie Bear, so my level of judgement may not be the most advanced (in case you're wondering, I think he does, she thinks it's just platonic).

And noticed that 'Bad Wolf' was mentioned yet again - its cropped up every week apparently.
What is this Bad Wolf then?

Also, Face of Bo, :worthy: , anyone that lasts 4.8 billion years is doing OK in my book.

Lynn
9th-May-2005, 11:58 PM
What is this Bad Wolf then? Don't know, but it was the graffiti on the side of the Tardis in the Slithereen episode and was referred to in the Dalek episode - I think its been mentioned every week.

David Bailey
15th-May-2005, 11:48 PM
Just managed to see the tape of this week's episode tonight, and wow. Best episode of any Doctor Who I've ever seen.

Plus, 1987 mobile phones, :rofl:

Lynn
28th-May-2005, 08:13 PM
A dancing Doctor Who! :waycool: Dancing round the Tardis! Priceless! :clap:

(Anyone else think he is the most excitable Doctor there has been? As well as, at times, doing a real Mr Serious!)

Dreadful Scathe
28th-May-2005, 08:24 PM

(Anyone else think he is the most excitable Doctor there has been? As well as, at times, doing a real Mr Serious!)
Doctor Who is turning out to be beedin' brilliant :) bit scary for kids that though!

David Bailey
28th-May-2005, 09:26 PM
Billie Piper telling the Doctor about a half-nelson! :clap: :clap: :rofl: :rofl:

And as for it being scary - good, that's the point! Some genuinely spooky moments there, had the whole "Ring" feel to it at times.

Zuhal
29th-May-2005, 03:59 PM
Pretty Girl: "Do you want to show me your moves?"
Dr Who: "I am resonating concrete"

I do not normally say no but this has got to be a good line. :grin:

Zuhal

Stuart
29th-May-2005, 06:42 PM
Doctor Who is turning out to be beedin' brilliant :) bit scary for kids that though!

That's all part of growing up - hiding behind the sofa during Doctor Who :grin:

Stuart
30th-May-2005, 09:06 AM
We have some great benches at Finchley where;
Just when you thought the weekend had everything :whistle:

Now tonight at Finchley, everyone who enters the DWAS competition will receive a voucher which will grant them entry to the fabulous JiveIN night on Friday 3rd June at the Wolsey Hall Windmill Lane Cheshunt for only £1 :waycool:

Check out this great venue, which has now been refurbished and the dance floor extended in all directions. Hopefully that will satisfy another post that is going on about room to dance. (the things we do to keep you dancers happy) :tears:

Finchley opens at the earlier time of 7pm today and goes on to 11pm. Entry is still only £7 All Saints, 122 Oakleigh Road North, Whetstone. Competition at 8pm.
Adam

I think we may have a rift in the space/time continuim here!

azande
30th-May-2005, 09:12 AM
I think we may have a rift in the space/time continuim here!
I see it more as a case of SPAM!!!!

And btw, I've reported it.

David Bailey
30th-May-2005, 09:19 AM
I see it more as a case of SPAM!!!!

And btw, I've reported it.
Yes, good thing too.

Also, a top tip for Stewart, best not to quote spam in your reply. :wink:

Anyway, what about this superb Doctor Who? Only 3 episodes to go... :tears:

And I've got to give the "Dalek" tape back to ZW at some point... :tears: :tears:

Pink Lady
30th-May-2005, 10:20 AM
I agree - it's been a fab series and will be over far too quickly! :tears: So good that we can even overlook and forgive glaring bloopers like: it's London in the middle of the blitz but Big Ben is lit up like a Christmas Tree!! Put it down to artistic licence! Still a very enjoyable programme - well done The Beeb. :nice:

Lynn
30th-May-2005, 12:02 PM
So good that we can even overlook and forgive glaring bloopers like: it's London in the middle of the blitz but Big Ben is lit up like a Christmas Tree!! Put it down to artistic licence! I thought Big Ben wasn't lit up and Captain Jack used his advanced technology to light it up because Rose asked the time. (Though I was thinking 'he'd better turn that off again or it'll be hit'). He was just showing off to impress Rose.

Pink Lady
30th-May-2005, 12:22 PM
Yes but later on when he takes her on top of the space ship and they are dancing, Big Ben is all lit up in the background.

Lynn
30th-May-2005, 12:31 PM
Yes but later on when he takes her on top of the space ship and they are dancing, Big Ben is all lit up in the background. Yep - that was where they were when she asked the time, he turned the lights on and made Big Ben bong, then they danced. But of course it would have been a target and he should have 'turned it off' again. But we'll let them away with it!

Pink Lady
30th-May-2005, 12:37 PM
I'm impressed! Do you have total recall memory by any chance? Someone is going to call us a right pair of sad-oes in a minute, but hey - it's good to talk!

Lynn
30th-May-2005, 12:43 PM
I'm impressed! Do you have total recall memory by any chance? Someone is going to call us a right pair of sad-oes in a minute, but hey - it's good to talk! :blush: I videoed it as I was away (dancing in Spain!) and so watched it when I got back at the start of last week, then again before this week's episode as it was a two parter. And its OK to be 'sad-oes' about SF programmes. :rofl:

Pink Lady
30th-May-2005, 01:00 PM
Absolutely!! :grin: Can't argue with that!

Rhythm King
31st-May-2005, 11:16 AM
I thought the last two parter was just fantastic. Atmospheric, spooky, funny, - it had it all. The chemistry between the Dr and Rose (and Cp'n Jack for that matter :wink:) is terrific. Any replacements will ahve a lot to live up to. So long as Rose's replacement isn't flaming Micky - [B[please[/B].

Lynn
22nd-June-2005, 01:02 PM
Wonder what the next series with David Tennant will be like? I was really getting used to Christopher Eccleston - saw him on Top Gear and he is so different in real life (and I don't mean the beard) but I made the character so 'real', good actor IMO. In fact good acting all round and great series. I like SF and would have watched anyway as it was Doctor Who - but I really enjoyed it and think its a credit to the BBC. :clap: :worthy:

Purple Sparkler
22nd-June-2005, 01:09 PM
I utterly cannot WAIT for the Christmas episode of Dr Who.

I concur with RK- the last two-parter kicked ASS. What I hope is that they'll make Captain Jack like the Major in the old series, so that he keeps turning up (and people like me can cheer wildly "Yay! Captain Jack's in this one!").

I think David Tennant is going to be a great Doctor- can't wait to see how he plays it.

David Bailey
22nd-June-2005, 02:34 PM
What I hope is that they'll make Captain Jack like the Major in the old series.
:confused: Brigadier? If so, then :yeah:

Plus, they showed him snogging the Doctor! I nearly fell off the sofa, never mind hiding behind it!

Purple Sparkler
22nd-June-2005, 03:41 PM
:confused: Brigadier? If so, then :yeah:

Plus, they showed him snogging the Doctor! I nearly fell off the sofa, never mind hiding behind it!

THAT'S what I meant. The Brigadier. I assumed it was Major because my friend Owen who is a total Dr Who geek didn't correct me when I said Major on Sunday.

I thought Captain Jack snogging the Doctor was a bloody BRILLIANT touch. Unsurprising given the writer, but still.

You know, perhaps I shouldn't post on this thread. SilverFox was worried enough last night when I mentioned Star Wars. In my defence, I was explaining why I can't take 'Copacabana' by Barry Manilow seriously, ever.

David Bailey
22nd-June-2005, 04:09 PM
THAT'S what I meant. The Brigadier. I assumed it was Major because my friend Owen who is a total Dr Who geek didn't correct me when I said Major on Sunday.
The Brigadier was awesome - he just brought class to every episode he was in.

I thought Captain Jack snogging the Doctor was a bloody BRILLIANT touch. Unsurprising given the writer, but still.
OK, you could see it coming a mile off, but for Doctor Who, it was pretty damned groundbreaking...

You know, perhaps I shouldn't post on this thread. SilverFox was worried enough last night when I mentioned Star Wars. In my defence, I was explaining why I can't take 'Copacabana' by Barry Manilow seriously, ever.
:confused: ???

Purple Sparkler
22nd-June-2005, 05:46 PM
The Brigadier was awesome - he just brought class to every episode he was in.

Which is why having Captain Jack in a similar function would be awesome.

OK, you could see it coming a mile off, but for Doctor Who, it was pretty damned groundbreaking...

Oh yes- I love it when groundbreaking things are so F***ING GREAT.

:confused: ???

Ah, you nibbled! Excellent, now I can explain. Basically, the reason I cannot take it seriously is that I've heard this version too many times:

Star Wars Cantina - Richard Cheese
(Sung to the tune of 'Copacabana' by Barry Manilow)
(Written and performed by Mark Jonathan Davis)

Her name was Leia
She was a princess
With a danish on each ear
And Darth Vader drawing near
So R2-D2 found Ben Kenobi
He'd have to put the Death Star plans
Into the rebels' hands
So Luke and Obi Wan
Had to go to Alderaan
They made a stop at port Mos Eisley
To have a drink with Han

At the Star Wars, Star Wars Cantina
The weirdest creatures you've ever seena (here)
Music and blasters and old Jedi Masters at the Star Wars.....

His name was Solo
He was a pilot
With a blaster at his side
And a smile 12 parsecs wide
There with Chewbacca
He was a Wookiee
They met with Luke and Obi Wan
About the Millennium Fal-con
Docking bay 94
Storm troopers at the door
With the flash of Ben's Lightsaber
There was an arm on the floor

Music and blasters and old Jedi Masters at the Star Wars.....

(Spoken by Obi Wan while Copa bridge is played)
"Mos Eisley space port, you will never find a more wretched
hive of scum and villainy. We must be cautious."

His name was Yoda
He was a muppet
That old Darth Vader was so bad
And by the way he is Luke's dad
Luke kissed his sister
His hand got severed
In a galaxy far, far, away
Luke has had a lousy day
Bo-ba Fett was so mean
Jabba had bad hygiene
Why didn't they all just relax
Back on Ta-too-ine

Music and blasters and old Jedi Masters at the Star Wars......

(Spoken by Obi Wan)
"The force will be with you
Always."

Star Wars, Star Wars Cantina
repeated 4 times

It even manages to work in the 'Cantina Band' music.

Lou
22nd-June-2005, 06:15 PM
:worthy: For getting in a mention of Richard Cheese :worthy:

(sorry - couldn't rep you)

David Bailey
22nd-June-2005, 07:14 PM
Ah, you nibbled! Excellent, now I can explain. Basically, the reason I cannot take it seriously is that I've heard this version too many times:

{ snip weird-but-funny song }

It even manages to work in the 'Cantina Band' music.
Well, the reason I can't take it seriously is the fact that it's Barry Manilow. Blimey, why not play Ricky Martin while you're at it... :whistle:

Barry Shnikov
22nd-June-2005, 11:49 PM
In my defence, I was explaining why I can't take 'Copacabana' by Barry Manilow seriously, ever.

How do you make Barry Manilow's nose 12 foot long?

.....fold it in half.

:rofl:

Purple Sparkler
23rd-June-2005, 09:39 AM
:worthy: For getting in a mention of Richard Cheese :worthy:

(sorry - couldn't rep you)

:D :cheers:

I think they should play the Star Wars Cantina at Ceroc, just for the 'heyyy, that's not Manilow!' value...

DavidY
7th-May-2006, 04:36 PM
Anyone else been watching the current series of Dr Who?

Really enjoyed the last couple of episodes. :clap: :tears:

Stuart
7th-May-2006, 04:47 PM
I've been watching this series and have enjoyed it. I did wonder about David Tennant as the Doctor but I think that he's settled into the role really well.

Rhythm King
8th-May-2006, 06:07 AM
:yeah: And they're really playing on the chemistry/jealousy with "Rose" too, not to mention some great guests. Cybermen next week - with "Trigger" too!

ElaineB
8th-May-2006, 07:22 AM
Cybermen next week - with "Trigger" too!

:what: :sick: :eek: Runs for the back of the settee to hide! I hated them as a child........they were far more frightening than any of the other 'monsters' on the series. It was the way the washing up foam used to come out of their bodies that used to finish me off...........I now have an aversion to washing up! :wink:

Elaine

Rhythm King
8th-May-2006, 11:42 AM
I now have an aversion to washing up! :wink:

Elaine
What a great excuse :rofl: Have some rep

R-K x

DavidY
9th-May-2006, 01:47 PM
.. there comes a time, Time Lord, when every lonely little boy must learn how to dance...but I don't think we actually got to see him dance.:confused:
Surely the good Doctor wasn't worried by the competition from the SDF lot next door?

Rhythm King
9th-May-2006, 03:20 PM
..but I don't think we actually got to see him dance.:confused:
Surely the good Doctor wasn't worried by the competition from the SDF lot next door?

So you haven't seen the episode "The Doctor Dances" from the first of the new series then?

Birlmeister
9th-May-2006, 06:17 PM
:what: :sick: :eek: Runs for the back of the settee to hide! I hated them as a child.......

:yeah:

Glad I wasn't the only one. Only had to hear the theme tune before screaming at my brothers to "turn it off". :eek: Loving the current series though, especially the one about the royal family being werewolves.

DavidY
11th-June-2006, 11:02 PM
And noticed that 'Bad Wolf' was mentioned yet again - its cropped up every week apparently.Last year there was www.badwolf.org.uk (http://www.badwolf.org.uk) near the end of the series.

Something tells me www.torchwood.org.uk (http://www.torchwood.org.uk) might become active soon..:whistle:

Rhythm King
12th-June-2006, 07:55 AM
Last year there was www.badwolf.org.uk (http://www.badwolf.org.uk) near the end of the series.

Something tells me www.torchwood.org.uk (http://www.torchwood.org.uk) might become active soon..:whistle:
There's a whole spin-off series called "Torchwood" on the way.

Juju
12th-June-2006, 09:22 AM
After years of putting up with "Dr Who" fans going on and on and on and on about how the programme needed to be revived, I was determined to hate the new "Dr Who". I was, however, pleasantly surprised. BUT, it's so touchy-feeley! All that snogging and what-have-you! Good grief.

The Doctor was always supposed to be asexual and impersonal, but now he's getting all passionate and it's mostly about some hot chick or other. Would Tom Baker have snogged Elizabeth Sladen? I think not!

Dreadful Scathe
12th-June-2006, 12:01 PM
The Doctor was always supposed to be asexual and impersonal, but now he's getting all passionate and it's mostly about some hot chick or other. Would Tom Baker have snogged Elizabeth Sladen? I think not!

He didnt really snog her, she snogged him :) Dr.Who is ace so far :)

David Bailey
20th-September-2006, 03:09 PM
They've been repeating this (several times now I think) on BBC3 at 7pm. And I haven't got bored of them yet :)

They're just starting re-showing the second series tonight - it's the one with the pants cat-nurses, but it's also got The Snog, so that's OK.

Lou
21st-September-2006, 09:16 AM
Dr.Who is ace so far :)

No. You're wrong. Ace was a previous assistant of Doctor Who.

Ooops. Sorry. Wrong thread. :D

DavidY
22nd-October-2006, 05:22 PM
There's a whole spin-off series called "Torchwood" on the way.
Huh, what I want to know is why they think its a good idea to show Torchwood on BBC3! Grump. :mad:They are repeating it (round here anyway) on BBC2 on Wednesday nights.

Lynn
22nd-October-2006, 06:31 PM
They are repeating it (round here anyway) on BBC2 on Wednesday nights.Goes off to search TV listings...

Yay - 9pm BBC 2. :D

Thanks David!:flower:

purple~emma
22nd-October-2006, 06:36 PM
I as never really into the old Doctor Who series, but the two recent ones I loved, even though I was determined I'd hate them!

Am really looking forward to Torchwood. Am just hoping it's not going to be a disappointment. I really want it to be something that I can watch so as by the time that series finishes, the next series of Doctor Who will be nearly due to start again.

Although, I am a little worried about the new series. I enjoyed Bille Piper as Rose so much so think that his new assistant has got a lot to live up to.

David Bailey
14th-December-2006, 10:27 AM
I've moved the Torchwood posts into a separate thread (http://www.cerocscotland.com/forum/showthread.php?t=10801).

Only 11 days to the new Doctor Who! Woo-Who!! :)

Beowulf
14th-December-2006, 10:42 AM
I've moved the Torchwood posts into a separate thread (http://www.cerocscotland.com/forum/showthread.php?t=10801).

Only 11 days to the new Doctor Who! Woo-Who!! :)

The christmas bride? yes.. looking forward to that !! :clap: :clap: :clap:

Lou
14th-December-2006, 11:44 AM
The christmas bride? yes.. looking forward to that !! :clap: :clap: :clap:
I'm looking forward to episode 10 of the next series. Apparently it's currently being filmed at my granddad's old house. :D

Rhythm King
16th-December-2006, 11:57 AM
There is a Doctor Who Advent Calender here (http://www.bbc.co.uk/doctorwho/index.shtml) to keep you occupied til Christmas.

By the way, did you know Doctor Who is an anagram of Torchwood... :whistle:

sorry Stokebloke!

Icey
17th-December-2006, 01:24 AM
There is a Doctor Who Advent Calender here (http://www.bbc.co.uk/doctorwho/index.shtml) to keep you occupied til Christmas.

This is the chocolate Doctor Who advent calendar I got Mr Darcy - I was very popular! :D

David Bailey
28th-March-2007, 07:38 PM
Heeee's .... back! :clap:

Yay, the long winter of our who-less discontent is now ended.

Saturday, 7pm :nice:

Rhythm King
29th-March-2007, 10:23 AM
Heeee's .... back! :clap:

Yay, the long winter of our who-less discontent is now ended.

Saturday, 7pm :nice:

Arrghh!:eek:

Somebody - Anybody! Please tape it for me... :flower:

Dreadful Scathe
29th-March-2007, 10:40 AM
Torrents Search Engine (http://www.torrentz.com) ;)

Barry Shnikov
29th-March-2007, 11:24 AM
New Dr Who series.

Examines nails...

Lou
29th-March-2007, 11:56 AM
Examines nails...

Nice nail varnish, Barry. Kinda Dalek coloured...

straycat
29th-March-2007, 11:59 AM
Examines nails...

Why? Do you end up chewing them ragged while you're hiding behind the sofa? :devil:

Mezzosoprano
29th-March-2007, 02:59 PM
Is that this coming Saturday or Saturday just passed.... have I missed it... I don't want to miss it... DAvid Tennant is gorgeous.....I even cried when he was separated from Rose (forever..... it was very very sad) don't know if I'll like the new chick though.. she looks a bit bossy to me! I work in the NHS I know what these doctor folks are like.....

David Bailey
29th-March-2007, 03:18 PM
Is that this coming Saturday or Saturday just passed.
This coming Saturday :)

:eek: - Advertising!

Stuart M
29th-March-2007, 04:16 PM
Nice nail varnish, Barry. Kinda Dalek coloured...
I think, Lou, he's just miffed that an episode in the new series is being set in New York. I mean, aliens invading somewhere other than London...really...

David Bailey
30th-March-2007, 10:12 PM
Nearly there ... :)

Keefy
31st-March-2007, 07:45 AM
I mean, aliens invading somewhere other than London...really...They can't even get that right, they keep hitting Cardiff instead and thinking it's London :)

Twirlie Bird
31st-March-2007, 01:09 PM
Less than 6 hours and counting :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap:

Sad? Never!!!!!!

Keefy
31st-March-2007, 08:44 PM
That was good, not a classic but still very worth watching. Freema Agyeman played a blinder and will be a worthy successor to Billy Piper who was the best assistant to date IMHO.

Could do with more budget though, is it just me who thought that the Slab were simply a negative image of The Stig from Top Gear? :)

StokeBloke
1st-April-2007, 04:04 AM
Could do with more budget though, is it just me who thought that the Slab were simply a negative image of The Stig from Top Gear? :)
They actually called one Mr Zovirax - hehehehehe.

The original Stig was dressed in black, with a black Simpson Bandit helmet...

Twirlie Bird
1st-April-2007, 03:09 PM
Loved it :clap: :clap:

Wasn't sure what I would think of Martha as I loved Rose but she was awesome. How do they always get it so right??? Sat glued to the TV then watched confidential. Fantastic. Roll on next Saturday. :clap: :clap:

DavidY
21st-June-2007, 08:59 AM
I'm really enjoying the current episodes of Doctor Who.:clap:

John Simm as a time-travelling character.:rofl: :wink:

Lou
21st-June-2007, 09:09 AM
John Simm as a time-travelling character.:rofl: :wink:Who'd've thought! :D Have to say that the last couple of episodes have been fab.

....Including...
I'm looking forward to episode 10 of the next series. Apparently it's currently being filmed at my granddad's old house. :D
Blimey. That was scary. :eek: I don't remember him having those statues, though. Very spooky house - no wonder I turned out goth. :rolleyes:

David Bailey
21st-June-2007, 09:44 AM
Who'd've thought! :D Have to say that the last couple of episodes have been fab.
:yeah: - definitely saving the best till last.

"Blink" is my favourite so far, those statues were extremely scary.

Lynn
21st-June-2007, 12:10 PM
Must remember to set the video for Sat night.

I was a bit slow on Sat, only twigged who the other Time Lord was as he said 'I'm not the Professor'. Can anyone remember what happened to the Master, I can't remember when he was last in an episode or what happened to him? Daleks, Cybermen etc - we all know the Doctor can outwit them, the Master is a much more interesting adversary.

David Bailey
21st-June-2007, 12:15 PM
Can anyone remember what happened to the Master, I can't remember when he was last in an episode or what happened to him?
God knows - he's died more times than Dr Doom I reckon. He was in the 1996 film, as a creepy slug thingy I think... It's probably best not to try and figure out where he came from, just to enjoy the ride :)

Beowulf
21st-June-2007, 12:22 PM
Can anyone remember what happened to the Master,

Well he got sucked into the eye of harmony in the inner workings of the Tardis in the movie with Paul mcGann. Of course, I'm assuming that's outwith the normal storyline (even though it did have a valid link to the series with Sylvester McCoy regenerating into Paul)

In the Film, The Master (Eric Roberts) was sent to Gallifrey and utterly destroyed for his crimes. he "reconstituted" and tried to steal the doctors remaining lives.

Ho hum.. So how did he end up as Professor Claudius Pye* at the end of the universe ;)

*made that name up.. obviously

Keefy
24th-June-2007, 08:39 AM
Oh well, I've found this last series a bit weak, the three part series finale being particularly dire so far. Last nights was very disjointed, a lot of running around and stupid lucky breaks to get out of plot dead-ends. Freema Agyeman doesn't seem to have got into the role either, isn't she off at the end of the series? Also too many multi-part stories over the series, stand alone episodes seem to have been ignored.

The one shining exception to the above has got to be Blink. That was sheer genius, an excellent concept and plot, brilliantly directed and filmed. I think that one is going to become a Dr Who classic.

Paulthetrainer
24th-June-2007, 08:50 PM
I agree that some of the earlier episodes were a bit weak, but it really got going again with the two part schoolmaster one, and then of course Blink was one of the best ever. Blink aside, I think the series works better with two or more parts, because its faster (than the original Dr Who series) pace makes it harder for good characterisation in the single part episodes. One of the things that made Blink good was that the plot gave lots of room for Carey Mulligan's character, because the Doctor wasn't really in it, which in turn also left you guessing as to HOW things would pan out, without the Doctor directly on hand to 'reverse the polarities' so to speak.

I'm rather enjoying the three parter though - I think John Simm is excellent as 'The Master', proving he's not just Sam Tyler from Life on Mars.

I think Freema Agyemang is getting better too. She had a tough act to follow in Billie Piper but I think she seems to be coming into her own. I wonder if some of the scripts may have originally been written with Billie Piper in mind?

Roll on next week...

pmjd
24th-June-2007, 10:33 PM
Well he got sucked into the eye of harmony in the inner workings of the Tardis in the movie with Paul mcGann. Of course, I'm assuming that's outwith the normal storyline (even though it did have a valid link to the series with Sylvester McCoy regenerating into Paul)

In the Film, The Master (Eric Roberts) was sent to Gallifrey and utterly destroyed for his crimes. he "reconstituted" and tried to steal the doctors remaining lives.

[Who Geek]Actually the master was executed by the Daleks in the 1996 TV movie. It was his last request that the Doctor takes his ashes back to Gallifrey, as part of a "get the Doctors' bodyTM" plot./[Who Geek]
:o :o

Bit annoyed thought I'm away to a conference abroad and going to miss the last episode:tears: video recorder programmed and ready!

Beowulf
25th-June-2007, 09:53 AM
[Who Geek]Actually the master was executed by the Daleks in the 1996 TV movie. It was his last request that the Doctor takes his ashes back to Gallifrey, as part of a "get the Doctors' bodyTM" plot./[Who Geek]
:o :o

Ah I stand.. or at least sit... corrected !! :respect:

David Bailey
25th-June-2007, 10:32 AM
He (the Master) said something about being resurrected (as a "Perfect warrior for the Time War"), so presumably that's the explanation...

David Bailey
25th-June-2007, 10:37 AM
Oh well, I've found this last series a bit weak, the three part series finale being particularly dire so far. Last nights was very disjointed, a lot of running around and stupid lucky breaks to get out of plot dead-ends.
Yeah, I can't deny it, it's not been the best. Saturday's episode was way too exposition-heavy - too many flashbacks and pointless scenes of "Gallifrey timelords being all dignified" etc.

There were some classy moments of course - the "here come the drums" moment, the interactions between Jack and Martha ("You too, huh?"), the zapping of the US President ( :devil: ), the Sky Opening, and so on.

Last week also had too many flashbacks - the Captain Jack backstory etc., it felt a bit laboured. Plus, whatever happened to the last of the human race, in the Big FoodPowered Rocket?

The one shining exception to the above has got to be Blink. That was sheer genius, an excellent concept and plot, brilliantly directed and filmed. I think that one is going to become a Dr Who classic.
I liked the 2-parter before it, also - but yes, Blink was superb. Scary as hell, too.

Beowulf
25th-June-2007, 10:55 AM
There were some classy moments of course - the "here come the drums" moment

I thought that was awful.. why play a pounding dance track when you take over/destroy the planet.. Why not some may ask

I did have to look it up though.. Voodoo Child By Rogue Traders... apparently

whatever happened to the last of the human race, in the Big Food Powered Rocket?

I guess it ran out of Cheese?

ducasi
25th-June-2007, 02:03 PM
I think this series has been brilliant. So :na: :na: :na:

Baruch
25th-June-2007, 05:24 PM
I think this series has been brilliant. So :na: :na: :na:
It's been good, but not as good as the last two series. I loved Blink, though.

Icey
25th-June-2007, 11:39 PM
Is there any substance to a rumour that the next season is the last one? I'm sure I heard something on the radio regarding a mass resignation?

Stuart M
25th-June-2007, 11:40 PM
It's been good, but not as good as the last two series. I loved Blink, though.
I'm in the minority, I think. Didn't really "get" Blink at all. Could see how an 8-year old could maybe find statues scary, but for me it was a bit "meh".

Plus it played like BBC Wales touting for another spinoff.

Overall been enjoying it though. Expecting lots of shocks next Saturday, followed by a giant reset button being pressed.

David Bailey
26th-June-2007, 08:22 AM
Is there any substance to a rumour that the next season is the last one? I'm sure I heard something on the radio regarding a mass resignation?
I think Russell T Davies and Julie Gardner (main producers) were making noises like that, moving on basically. I also think the series gets renewed yearly - so the Beeb can't comment on Series 5 until Series 4 is being shown.

But as Doctor Who is by far the most successful "new" series of the past few years - it's now almost the flagship product for the Beeb - they'd be nuts to cancel it.

It'd be a shame if the producers left, but I'm sure they'd be replaced.

Icey
4th-July-2007, 01:55 PM
Catherine Tate (http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/entertainment/6267680.stm) (Donna from the Christmas special) will be the new companion. Thoughts?

straycat
4th-July-2007, 01:58 PM
Catherine Tate (http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/entertainment/6267680.stm) (Donna from the Christmas special) will be the new companion. Thoughts?

:tears: :tears: :tears: :tears:
I hated her character in the Christmas special :sick:

Beowulf
4th-July-2007, 02:19 PM
Face? bovvered? I aint bovvered!

She was ok in the Christmas special. Nothing brilliant.

However, I hope we get better stories than the last one on Saturday? Why the Doctor prevailed THROUGH THE POWER OF FAITH? Everyone chanting his name gave him the power to defeat the Master? it's enough to make Barry Shnikov turn in his grave :confused:

Have made it white on white in case anyone hasn't seen it.. don't want to spoil it for you.

And did anyone else think that the ring scene at the end was straight out of the FLASH GORDON movie??

Stuart M
4th-July-2007, 02:30 PM

She was ok in the Christmas special. Nothing brilliant.
I actually thought she was the best thing in that episode. It was a bit all over the place otherwise. I think she's a good choice - hopefully gets things away from the "companion fancies the pants of the Doc" dynamic recently.

And did anyone else think that the ring scene at the end was straight out of the FLASH GORDON movie??
Indeed. Funny how it more or less directly followed a scene straight out of Return of the Jedi (or Spaced, maybe :D )

Baruch
4th-July-2007, 11:59 PM
I am! I found her thoroughly annoying in the Christmas episode.

However, I hope we get better stories than the last one on Saturday
Not just Saturday; the majority of this series seemed a bit lacklustre to me. Maybe RJD and co are running out of creative storylines.

Beowulf
5th-July-2007, 01:12 PM
Found this on another site

Don't get me wrong. She's really funny and her appearance in the Christmas special was quite jolly, but NOOOOOO! Listen (adopts demeanour of Dennis Leary as Edgar Friendly in 'Demolition Man'):-

I want youth, I want intelligence crossed with unfulfilled potential, I want hidden depths, I want an ambivalent relationship with this father/brother/lover figure called the Doctor, and goddamit I want eye candy! I'm the archetypal middle-aged dad watching the show with a family who also love it but are too young to remember the original and I want my eye candy because that what the companion's there for and I'm a middle-aged man and I've earned it! Wendy Padbury's sequin-covered bottom! (Actually, it was her jumpsuit - I don't think she actually had sequins on her bottom as such. It's a thought, though.) The limp elastic in Sarah Sutton's skirt! Nicola Bryant in a bikini! Actually, Nicola Bryant in anything... This is what happens when you put a gay Welshman in charge of this kind of thing. What does he know about the needs of weary male parents who feel as though they've done nothing in the years between the old and new Who except reading school reports and putting up shelves? Catherine Tate looks like my son's chemistry teacher and/or an overworked barmaid and Who has just lost its position as quite literally the only item of appointment viewing I've had for years. And now I'm off to replace a tap washer. Isn't life wonderful when you finally feel in control

Sums it up for me nicely..

And in case you need reminding of who Nicola Bryant was.. she was Peri Brown (http://www.geocities.com/hollywood/lot/9501/peri1.jpg) :drool: :drool:

David Bailey
10th-July-2007, 11:34 AM
Geoffrey Palmer's in the Xmas special too:
The Sun Online - TV: Look Who's back for Xmas (http://www.thesun.co.uk/article/0,,2001320029-2007310692,00.html)

Beowulf
12th-July-2007, 09:33 AM
Lets see , Dr who, Kylie & a maids outfit , yup all the geek boxes ticked

BBC NEWS | Entertainment | Kylie takes on Titanic Who role (http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/entertainment/6292628.stm)

Oh and no bloody Celine Dion either :clap:

Tiggerbabe
12th-July-2007, 09:46 AM
Great, at least one decent programme to watch at Christmas :clap:

Keefy
4th-April-2008, 08:37 AM
About time this thread regenerated :D

New series starts tomorrow (Sat 4th) at 18:20 BBC1. I must admit that I'm not really looking forward to this series, I have an intense dislike of Catherine Tate and I thought she was terrible in the xmas special the other year. I'll watch the first one or two before making a final judgement though.

Lou
4th-April-2008, 10:28 AM
New series starts tomorrow (Sat 4th) at 18:20 BBC1. I must admit that I'm not really looking forward to this series, I have an intense dislike of Catherine Tate and I thought she was terrible in the xmas special the other year. I'll watch the first one or two before making a final judgement though.
It could be worse. It could be Bonnie Langford. :eek:

DavidY
4th-April-2008, 10:37 AM
New series starts tomorrow (Sat 4th)*Pops into Tardis to find a place/time when "tomorrow" is "Sat 4th" so I can set the video*
:na::na::na:

Keefy
4th-April-2008, 10:49 AM
*Pops into Tardis to find a place/time when "tomorrow" is "Sat 4th" so I can set the video*
:na::na::na::blush: OK, OK - I had 4th on the brain as I had just set the system date on the DVD recorder

Stuart M
4th-April-2008, 11:53 AM
Meanwhile, in other news, Glasgow will be invaded by the Doctor Who exhibition (http://www.theherald.co.uk/news/news/display.var.2170524.0.Doctor_Who_to_be_star_attrac tion_at_Kelvingrove.php) next year. Some sort of swap deal with the Royal Academy, I believe.

Little Black Dress
4th-April-2008, 12:34 PM
Can't wait for the new series to start! :clap:
Love, love love David Tennant :worthy: and think this series will be really exciting with all three (four if you count Captain Jack :drool:) assistants seemingly taking part......even Rose :eek:

Yippeee!

dep
4th-April-2008, 04:10 PM
Tell me the story again.
Rose is dead?

Little Black Dress
4th-April-2008, 04:30 PM
Tell me the story again.
Rose is dead?

No! She went through to a parallel universe and supposedly can't ever be reached again by the doctor..........but then Dr Who can do anything :clap:

dep
4th-April-2008, 04:45 PM
No! She went through to a parallel universe and supposedly can't ever be reached again by the doctor..........but then Dr Who can do anything :clap:my lack of imagination showing again.

Beowulf
4th-April-2008, 11:09 PM
Meanwhile, in other news, Glasgow will be invaded by the Doctor Who exhibition (http://www.theherald.co.uk/news/news/display.var.2170524.0.Doctor_Who_to_be_star_attrac tion_at_Kelvingrove.php) next year. Some sort of swap deal with the Royal Academy, I believe.

Speaking of which.. I've been planning to go to the exhibition down here in Earls Court sometime soon..

Anyone fancy tagging along?

Rhythm King
5th-April-2008, 05:57 AM
Speaking of which.. I've been planning to go to the exhibition down here in Earls Court sometime soon..

Oh go on then...

Keefy
5th-April-2008, 09:25 AM
Anyone fancy tagging along?I'd like to go as well!

Little Black Dress
5th-April-2008, 01:31 PM

Me! Me! :clap: Aurion and I will be down at the beginning of May. Any chance of going then? (Have wanted to meet the Mighty Beo for a while now :wink: )

In anticipation......LBD :waycool:

Beowulf
6th-April-2008, 01:13 PM
Cool.. A potential forum Who outing :)

I was planning to go pretty soon. not his next weekend was thinking perhaps the next? or perhaps late April / early May. I'll look on-line at prices etc. and get back to you all. It's on until September in Earls Court (Which is a breeze to get to by tube)

Lynn
6th-April-2008, 02:14 PM
OK - last nights episode - pants storyline or what? OK - the main focus was getting the Doctor and whatshername reconnected again - but the 'fat babies'? Eh?

pmjd
6th-April-2008, 04:13 PM
Not the world's best storyline but the ending was very intriguing:waycool:

Beowulf
6th-April-2008, 05:19 PM
note to self.. when you've missed Doctor Who.. don't read this thread until after you've seen it :sick:

Little Black Dress
6th-April-2008, 06:42 PM
I really enjoyed it! Not the best storyline, although I did think the fat babies were cute :blush:
I liked the way The Doctor and Donna got back together - very funny :grin: I think they'll be good together...

Little Black Dress
6th-April-2008, 06:49 PM

I was planning to go pretty soon. not his next weekend was thinking perhaps the next? or perhaps late April / early May. I'll look on-line at prices etc. and get back to you all. It's on until September in Earls Court (Which is a breeze to get to by tube)

Great! We're down for just under a week's hols for the Champs, so we could do it then.

(off thread for a mo - sorry) BTW, will you and Twirly be going to The Champs?

Lynn
6th-April-2008, 06:53 PM
note to self.. when you've missed Doctor Who.. don't read this thread until after you've seen it :sick:Sorry, the 'fat babies' maybe gave too much away... but really, the storyline was a bit predictable and you knew Donna (I couldn't even remember her name) was making a reappearance anyway didn't you? The intriguing bit at the end wasn't described...

Georgious dancer
6th-April-2008, 10:59 PM
Dr Who exhibtion, sounds fun. Room for a little one?

Just watched last nights episode on iplayer, not the most inventive or clever storyline I have seen, but it wasn't really about the aliens was it, the doc needed a new companion!

Not sure about Donna though, will have to wait and see how it goes I guess! Martha will be hard to beat, preferred her to Rose.

FirstMove
7th-April-2008, 12:21 AM
The story didn't make much sense really. Why would you give everyone some jewellery which would cause them to self-destruct if they fiddled with it? If DW hadn't turned up, everyone except the nurse would have been fine.

The Donna character was toned down alot from the Xmas special. Catherine Tate isn't pleasant on the eye and Donna is supposed to be thick, so what's her purpose? I have horrible visions of Donna getting into trouble and the doc saving her each week, a bit like the Bonnie Langford storylines.

Hungry!

Lynn
7th-April-2008, 12:42 AM
The story didn't make much sense really. Why would you give everyone some jewellery which would cause them to self-destruct if they fiddled with it? No, it was cos Donna had an extra necklace in the same area as the other one and the combination of both increased the effect. I think.

The Donna character can't be that thick (though she was in the Christmas special) as she had tracked down various places she might meet the Doctor again etc.

Stuart M
7th-April-2008, 10:16 AM
The story didn't make much sense really. Why would you give everyone some jewellery which would cause them to self-destruct if they fiddled with it? If DW hadn't turned up, everyone except the nurse would have been fine.
Actually this is fairly often the case in DW, when you sit and think about the storylines. Last year, for instance. At one point, the Doc decided that hiding as a schoolteacher at an Edwardian public school was a good idea. Result: several people dead and the school and surrounding area turned into a war zone. Oops.

Twirly
7th-April-2008, 04:48 PM
BTW, will you and Twirly be going to The Champs?

Yes we will, just booked the tickets today :nice:

Enjoyed catching up with the new series last night. I thought Donna was supposed to be common, and not intellectual, rather than actually thick. And since she has absolutely no romantic interest in the Dr. I think this presents much more potential for fun with the characters. She's feisty, unpredictable and enthusiastic. She might be a bit much at times, but she won't follow the Dr around all misty-eyed.

Loved the bit where they find each other across the office... wasn't so sure about the bit where she gets confused about his desire for someone to be "a mate"... sounded a bit too much like one of her comedy characters (Nan and the Dr?! :sick:)

Beowulf
7th-April-2008, 10:22 PM
Loved the bit where they find each other across the office...

Really funny.. yeah :) :rofl:

wasn't so sure about the bit where she gets confused about his desire for someone to be "a mate"... sounded a bit too much like one of her comedy characters (Nan and the Dr?! :sick:)

What A ****ing' liberty !! :blush:

I loved the fat babies.. I want one.. they were cute..

I can see Forbidden Planet's next range of toys already :D

Little Black Dress
7th-April-2008, 10:43 PM
Yes we will, just booked the tickets today :nice:

Great! We'll see you there if we don't manage to go to the exhibition with you :nice:

Keefy
8th-April-2008, 07:04 AM
It was a bit of a slow opener but OK in parts. At least they seem to have taken most of the irritating Catherine Tate out of the Donna character, but I'm not quite sure what the 'puppy' Donna is going to add, I didn't warm to the character. Lovely little cameo by Billie Piper near the end :nice:

DD+
8th-April-2008, 08:59 AM
Is anyone going to the Doctor Who exhibition at Earls Court? I've gotta go as my friend and son love it - so i'm just along for the ride:sick:

Doctor Who Exhibition Earls Court - Dalek Tardis Cybermen Ood Boe Slitheen K9 (http://www.doctorwhoexhibition.com/earls.html)

Twirly
8th-April-2008, 12:47 PM
Is anyone going to the Doctor Who exhibition at Earls Court? I've gotta go as my friend and son love it - so i'm just along for the ride:sick:

Doctor Who Exhibition Earls Court - Dalek Tardis Cybermen Ood Boe Slitheen K9 (http://www.doctorwhoexhibition.com/earls.html)

Try reading the thread... :rolleyes:

Oh go on then...

I'd like to go as well!

Me! Me! :clap: Aurion and I will be down at the beginning of May. Any chance of going then? (Have wanted to meet the Mighty Beo for a while now :wink: )

In anticipation......LBD :waycool:

DD+
8th-April-2008, 12:59 PM
Whoops i'm really not having a good day today:really:
Didnt even realise there was a thread:sad: sorry guys:flower:

Keefy
1st-May-2008, 07:44 AM
Well... we must be half way through the series, what do people think? I haven't been grabbed by anything in the series so far, I liked the Planet Of The Ood, nice little story.

But the Catherine Tate Donna character, oh dear :sick: My GF who is not a Dr Who fan summed it up for me -

"Catherine Tate just doesn't seem to fit in, she shouldn't be there"

Freema Agyeman acted her off the screen in Saturdays episode :nice:

Comments?

straycat
1st-May-2008, 08:03 AM
Well... we must be half way through the series, what do people think? I haven't been grabbed by anything in the series so far, I liked the Planet Of The Ood, nice little story.

That pretty much sums it up - I'm enjoying it, but nothing mind-blowing so far - let's hope the series has one or two Blinks up its sleeve. I completely agree with your GF regarding Ms Tate too - while she's a little less annoying than she was in her debut episode, I still find her more irritating than anything.

I'm hoping they put her in chiefly so's she can die a horrible death at some point in the series. As soon as possible, preferrably.... let's face it - they haven't properly killed a companion for ages - who was the last one? Adric?

dep
1st-May-2008, 12:07 PM
CT, she doesn't even look good.
I've ducked already.

Baruch
1st-May-2008, 08:14 PM
CT, she doesn't even look good.
I've ducked already.
With both Freema and Billie making appearances in this series, there's at least some eye candy in evidence.

(I've ducked too.)

straycat
1st-June-2008, 04:07 PM
Well - just watched last night's episode. Incredible return to form - that was one of the best episodes I've seen to date. Just hope part two manages to live up to the expectations it's set... Lots of intriquing stuff here, and I'm dying to know how the whole River Song thing will play out (assuming we ever really find out)... and could she be who I think she is?

And was it just me, or does it look like they've foreshadowed... something concerning Donna which would make me truly happy...? :devil: (I know it would be too much to hope for that it happened this episode)

Anyway. A few more episodes like this one would definitely not go amiss (unlike that awful Agatha Christie thing last week)

Baruch
1st-June-2008, 04:16 PM
Incredible return to form - that was one of the best episodes I've seen to date.
Agreed. It reminded me a bit of "Blink" from the last series, except that I think it's better because the Doctor is actually present for most of the action in this one.

Keefy
2nd-June-2008, 01:25 PM
Agreed. That was the best of the series yet, note that it was written by Steven Moffat who aslo wrote Blink :nice: With two chances of getting rid of the Donna character there's more to look forward to as well :D

Keefy
9th-June-2008, 05:37 PM
Hmmm... left me feeling a bit disappointed that part 2, it jumped around all over the place with a bit of a 'so what' plot :sad: The River Song character shows some promise though, lovely little twist right at the end when he worked out he was meeting her in the wrong order of events :nice:

Overall the worst series of the return in my view, not helped at all by CT who has basically been a loud spare part throughout all of it :sick:

Baruch
9th-June-2008, 06:55 PM
Hmmm... left me feeling a bit disappointed that part 2, it jumped around all over the place with a bit of a 'so what' plot
I agree. It's not that it was necessarily all that bad, but part 1 was so good, I expected more from part 2. Quite disappointing really.

Dreadful Scathe
9th-June-2008, 08:21 PM
Its the only one (well 2) ive watched this series and i thought it was excellent - thought the whole "saved" - meaning they were backed up - to be nothing like the surprise Mr.Tenant was making out in the post-Dr.Who program. I also don't understand whats so wrong with Catherine Tate she may not be eyeing him up all the time, but i like that and she is just as useful to have around as the others - which isnt saying much. So not as good as Billie but better than Freema.

David Bailey
9th-June-2008, 09:22 PM
Um, I quite like this series too.

And I think CT is excellent - she's had some wobbly bits, like the "Maths genius" thing in the Doctors Daughter, but she's much better than Freema was.

Some episodes are good, some are bad - but even bad Doctor Who is better than almost anything else on the telly at the moment.

So :na:

EDIT: in other words, what the Smurf said :yeah:

StokeBloke
9th-June-2008, 09:25 PM
Well - just watched last night's episode. Incredible return to form - that was one of the best episodes I've seen to date. Just hope part two manages to live up to the expectations it's set... Lots of intriquing stuff here, and I'm dying to know how the whole River Song thing will play out (assuming we ever really find out)... and could she be who I think she is?

And was it just me, or does it look like they've foreshadowed... something concerning Donna which would make me truly happy...? :devil: (I know it would be too much to hope for that it happened this episode)

Anyway. A few more episodes like this one would definitely not go amiss (unlike that awful Agatha Christie thing last week)I agree that the Agatha Christie episode seemed like the writer's self indulgence. Lame. This two parter was quite good. I like CT, her character does bring a very different dynamic, in the past the assistants have always been romantically in awe of Mr. Ten-Inch but.. but.. Donna isn't. I quite like that. Although I don't like the stuff that happened a few episodes ago where Donna saved the Doctor. This seemed to make them seem too equal IYSWIM.

"Are you my Mummy"... best and creepiest episode yet! What is it about kids in horror situations that makes them soooo creepy?

Beowulf
10th-June-2008, 01:08 PM
I liked the two parter. The first half was better than the second and I kinda figured out the ending before it was revealed.. they made it pretty obvious really.

I like the dynamic between CT and DT.. She's definately much better than Freema.

I don't like the stuff that happened a few episodes ago where Donna saved the Doctor. This seemed to make them seem too equal IYSWIM.

No I disagree. IMHO I see no reason why the "assistant" can't excel in some areas the doctor can't. it keeps the viewer on their toes a little. Perhaps the Doctor isn't 100% infailable after all.. he may NOT be able to get out of a sticky situation with a wave of his sonic screwdriver.. IYDOGGYPADDLE ;)

ducasi
10th-June-2008, 04:29 PM
I liked this last Doctor Who story, though I thought the use of the word "spoilers" was too geeky, and I think the author has recently been reading The Time Traveller's Wife. :whistle:

Dreadful Scathe
10th-June-2008, 04:45 PM
I liked this last Doctor Who story, though I thought the use of the word "spoilers" was too geeky, and I think the author has recently been reading The Time Traveller's Wife. :whistle:
not heard of that one - but they do say there are no original ideas anymore :)

Brighton Belle
10th-June-2008, 04:53 PM
I think the author has recently been reading The Time Traveller's Wife. :whistle:

I thought exactly the same thing as soon as she started with the 'diary' thing! The plot is identical. Excellent book though - if anyone wants a very interesting read I'd thoroughly recommend it. Its by Audrey Niffenegger and there's a film due out later this year.

Twirly
10th-June-2008, 04:56 PM
I like the dynamic between CT and DT.. She's definately much better than Freema.

I really like the fact that she isn't mooning all over him all the time, and sometimes tells him where to get off. And he takes notice of her too. Remembering that this is a kids programme, I think she's a much better role model than the other assistants as a result.

Icey
10th-June-2008, 08:09 PM
... and there's a film due out later this year.

Oohhh really? Thanks for that :)

I still have this two parter to watch. Now that the exams are over I shall be parking my bum on the sofa with a takeaway and watching them together without the little voice wittering about homework :D

I might even share the takeaway with Mr Darcy if he's good :innocent:

Beowulf
12th-June-2008, 03:36 PM
I meant to mention
Twirly and I were in the kitchen last night and there was a bit of pollen and dust in the air and showing up in the sunlight. I said "Oh look it's the stuff from doctor who".. "What stuff?" asks Twirly.. "The swarm in the shadows.. the Barack Obama stuff" :rofl: .. She cracked up.

Vashta Nerada .. Barack Obama.. it's easy to get those two confused... :blush:

Dreadful Scathe
12th-June-2008, 03:39 PM

You saying that cos he is black? Thats "shocking" :)

Lou
12th-June-2008, 04:52 PM

Am I the only one who sings "Vashta Nerada" to the tune of "Ai No Corrida" by Quincy Jones? :blush:

Baruch
12th-June-2008, 05:26 PM
Am I the only one who sings "Vashta Nerada" to the tune of "Ai No Corrida" by Quincy Jones? :blush:
Yes :wink:

Lou
12th-June-2008, 05:31 PM
Yes :wink:
OK... How about Hava Nagila? :whistle:

Baruch
12th-June-2008, 10:51 PM
OK... How about Hava Nagila? :whistle:
Bugger - you've just successfully implanted a song worm in my brain!

Keefy
15th-June-2008, 07:25 AM
Midnight Episode : Oh dear :sad: What was that all about? Did they run out of budget and drag a cheap script out of the bin (where it belonged) and put that in to try and make the final two look good? At least the episode fully utilised the talents of CT :whistle:

Brighton Belle
15th-June-2008, 11:16 AM
Yeah a completely 'non' episode. No story, no budget not even convincing danger. I'm just annoyed that I wasted 45 mins when I could have been doing something more worthwhile (like watching paint dry). Definitley a 'could do better!' :sad:

Baruch
15th-June-2008, 12:42 PM
Yeah a completely 'non' episode. No story, no budget not even convincing danger. I'm just annoyed that I wasted 45 mins when I could have been doing something more worthwhile (like watching paint dry). Definitley a 'could do better!' :sad:
I found the constant repetition and the general cacophony of voices really irritating. If that's the sort of episode RTD is writing now, it's just as well he's giving up Doctor Who.

Stuart M
15th-June-2008, 02:42 PM
I rather enjoyed it actually. :na:

For once a rather plausible sci-fi concept, no monster in a rubber suit or cgi, no requirement to have an A-level in Who mythology, no universal threat. And of course ticking the box with the kiddie demographic.

Interesting, really. I wasn't that impressed by Blink, because I've never found statues remotely scary. But I can well remember from schooldays how infuriating it was to have someone just repeating everything you said, so I could identify with the frustrations building up in this ep.

One of the great things about DW nowadays - something for everyone really. Who mythology fans (and those enamoured of wheelchair-bound Greek waiters with megalomaniac tendencies :wink: ) are definitely in for a treat come the finale in a fortnight...

Twirly
16th-June-2008, 09:44 AM
I rather enjoyed it actually. :na:

For once a rather plausible sci-fi concept, no monster in a rubber suit or cgi, no requirement to have an A-level in Who mythology, no universal threat. And of course ticking the box with the kiddie demographic.

It was more about group psychology than anything else, and I think contained some useful stuff about group dynamics, fear and bullying which are all subjects relevant to children.

It's sometimes difficult to remember that we are adults watching a kids TV programme, and maybe that elevates our expectations.

David Bailey
16th-June-2008, 09:54 AM
I didn't like it when I saw it, it bored me.

But then, I thought about it a bit, and I started to like it more.

It was essentially a TV play format. I've seen it done better, but it was quite a gutsy move.

I think this series has been better than last year's, after a few shaky episodes. Catherine Tate has really grown on me, and her chemistry with David Tennant, when it works, works very well indeed.

I hate to say it, coz she's gorgeous, but Martha was a bit pants as a companion really.

David Bailey
25th-June-2008, 04:18 PM
OK, The Best Icon Ever:

straycat
26th-June-2008, 08:40 AM
Just watched last Saturday's.... and it accomplished the impossible: made me like Donna (at least for the duration of the episode)

And not just for her 'decision' either - I thought for the first time, the character really truly convinced me, without irritating me (much)

Some really nice ideas, good script, a good look at what 'might have been' that I found quite frankly chilling at times, great use of Rose (the episode also reminded me how much I missed her character - great to have her back again), introduced loads of questions which I hope get at least some answers (example: how did Rose seem to know so much?)
[EDIT] Also - some intriguing foreshadowing on Donna's character: 'What will you be?'?????

And then .... THAT ending. Which took me completely by surprise, and was literally sending chills up and down my spine. If the rest of the series lives up to the last four (yes - I liked Midnight) we could be in for the best season ending yet. Fingers crossed...

Beowulf
26th-June-2008, 12:53 PM
Just watched last Saturday's.... and it accomplished the impossible: made me like Donna (at least for the duration of the episode)..

I liked it too, but I couldn't help but think.. "Whad was Billie Piper doing to her voice?" She sounded like she was breaking in new teeth for Mr Ed while doing a very bad Sean Connery impersonation !

Has she had "work done" on her gnashers or something? You know.. cosmetic work.. like adding 5 inches of brilliant white acoustic baffle material to her pearly whites??

Apart from that small distraction great episode with a fantastic ending.. Liked the way all the previous stories panned out sans Doctor (But why didn't he regenerate again I wonder?)

Little Black Dress
26th-June-2008, 03:00 PM
I liked it too, but I couldn't help but think.. "Whad was Billie Piper doing to her voice?" She sounded like she was breaking in new teeth for Mr Ed while doing a very bad Sean Connery impersonation !

Has she had "work done" on her gnashers or something? You know.. cosmetic work.. like adding 5 inches of brilliant white acoustic baffle material to her pearly whites??

Apart from that small distraction great episode with a fantastic ending.. Liked the way all the previous stories panned out sans Doctor (But why didn't he regenerate again I wonder?)

That really bothered me too! (Rose's voice) On "Confidential", Billie Piper's voice was fine.
The soldier on the programme said that The Doctor didn't have time to regenerate and drowned........

I loved this episode and can't wait to see the last two. This series has been the best for me so far. I love Donna - really strong and feisty. And I still love David Tennant - he's still as fresh in the role as the day he started :grin:

David Bailey
26th-June-2008, 03:38 PM
That really bothered me too! (Rose's voice) On "Confidential", Billie Piper's voice was fine.
I know, it's a mystery... :confused:

The soldier on the programme said that The Doctor didn't have time to regenerate and drowned........
Well, to be fair, that's what the soldier said, that's not necessarily what happened. It's unlikely your average UNIT soldier is going to be an expert on regeneration or something. He could have just given up, or chosen not to regenerate, or something.

And I still love David Tennant - he's still as fresh in the role as the day he started :grin:
Mmmm. I'm getting a bit bored with him, he's starting to speak in cliches now a lot.

Lou
26th-June-2008, 03:55 PM
Mmmm. I'm getting a bit bored with him, he's starting to speak in cliches now a lot.
It takes two to tango, you know... :whistle:

dave the scaffolder
28th-June-2008, 08:21 PM
Now then now then now then........

Doctor Who is regenerating, who will it be???

My guess it that it will be The artist formerly know as David James......

DAVID BAILEY!!!!!!!!!!!:respect:

Any more suggestions gratefully received.

DTS XXX XXX:wink:

ps I would knock the back out of Billy Piper any day

Lynn
28th-June-2008, 08:36 PM
Bit of a spoiler there with that thread title DTS for those who have been out dancing and plan to watch it when they get back/tomorrow...:rolleyes:

Maybe a mod could just add this to the Doctor Who thread? As I know I avoid reading that thread if I haven't seen the episode yet so that I can avoid spoilers.

Beowulf
28th-June-2008, 10:11 PM
oh well done... that's tomorrows Video recording spoiled :(

clevedonboy
28th-June-2008, 11:13 PM
idiot

David Bailey
29th-June-2008, 12:32 AM
I've moved those posts to this thread and put a warning on the title.

Steven666
29th-June-2008, 12:13 PM
Why do they say stuff on the lines of were all doomed as the daleks are coming yet the daleks have yet to win in the past?

Hopefully the daleks will win next week! :clap:

Little Black Dress
29th-June-2008, 01:19 PM
What an episode! There were tears :tears: Even though I'd read DTS's post before I saw it, I got so caught up in the story that at the end my emotions were all over the place....(But still, BAD DTS..........grrrr)

The bit at the beginning when the Daleks were saying "EXTERMINATE, EXTERMINATE!" to the World, I was completely scared and really wanted to hide behind the sofa! (Luckily I had Aurion to hold my hand and a purring cat next to me to calm me down :wink: )

And losing David Tennant! Wah! :tears:

Oh, the last 38 (almost) years of watching Doctor Who, especially with the Daleks, came over me in a torrent of emotions......I'll have to watch it again :wink:

dave the scaffolder
29th-June-2008, 02:33 PM
Ok before we go any further i am sorry if i spoiled anyones watching of Dr Who, it was not my intention.

DTS XXX XXX

Trouble
29th-June-2008, 02:51 PM
Ok before we go any further i am sorry if i spoiled anyones watching of Dr Who, it was not my intention.

DTS XXX XXX

I should think so DTS. God forbid you have a life.

Trouble
29th-June-2008, 02:52 PM
idiot

Who you calling an idiot there clevedonboy. not clear?

Dreadful Scathe
29th-June-2008, 03:40 PM
Who you calling an idiot there clevedonboy. not clear?
i think its fairly clear, but i don't have a problem with anyone spouting spoilers myself :)

Lynn
29th-June-2008, 03:43 PM

DTS XXX XXXWe know you didn't. :hug:

Just better to put stuff like that in the existing thread, or put a 'spoiler' warning in the thread title so people who haven't seen the programme yet will know to avoid the thread.

dave the scaffolder
29th-June-2008, 04:34 PM
idiot

Another nameless faceless moron with no profile who comes on and insults me.

You are a cowardly Japanese sniper.

DTS XXX XXX

Trouble
29th-June-2008, 05:48 PM
Another nameless faceless moron with no profile who comes on and insults me.

You are a cowardly Japanese sniper.

DTS XXX XXX

Now hunny before we assume its you, lets just get it clarified. Idiot. No names no quotes, just idiot. could be himself for all we know. So lets just wait and see shall we. xxx

Trouble
29th-June-2008, 05:51 PM
i think its fairly clear, but i don't have a problem with anyone spouting spoilers myself :)

never assume DS... its not clear at all. you spoiler you. :D

Agente Secreto
29th-June-2008, 10:46 PM

DTS XXX XXX

DTS, I can only believe that it is the stress of being ordered around by the finger all week :whistle:- clearly you weren't thinking straight.

Mind you, I've always struggled to understand the fascination with Dr Who. Give me a good cartoon with a squirrel and a mole anyday. Of course I'm in the minority even in my own house.

dave the scaffolder
29th-June-2008, 11:04 PM
Just thought that if a programme has been on the telly we could discuss it afer it has finished.

Did not realise certain people were so passionate about it

DTS XXX XXXX

rubyred
29th-June-2008, 11:52 PM
idiot

Ohhhhh!!!!No matter what we may say it's not nice or polite to be called names. DTS you have apologised and that should be enough for everyone. Knowing DTS he is not a person who would deliberately set out to ruin anything for anyone, and I am sure that your comments had NO malice or intention to spoil anything for anyone. :hug::hug:

Lynn
30th-June-2008, 01:52 AM
Just thought that if a programme has been on the telly we could discuss it afer it has finished.

Did not realise certain people were so passionate about it

DTS XXX XXXXYeah, just that a lot of people go out dancing on Sat nights and record Doctor Who so hadn't seen it yet - and the regeneration thing was a major plot point right at the end and that was in the new thread title - so it wasn't possible for people who hadn't seen it yet to avoid the thread...

No big deal though, don't stress. :hug:

On to the serious matter...

So is the Doctor regenerating? And if so is he now on his last one? How many do Time Lords get? Is it 12 or 13? And how many are we up to?

ducasi
30th-June-2008, 08:11 AM
So is the Doctor regenerating? And if so is he now on his last one? How many do Time Lords get? Is it 12 or 13? And how many are we up to?
What'her'name from the Library suggested that he has a lot more regenerations to go.

I reckon there'll be something different about this one though, as we'd know who he is going to become – it'd be in the papers... No?

straycat
30th-June-2008, 08:13 AM
Yeah, just that a lot of people go out dancing on Sat nights and record Doctor Who so hadn't seen it yet - and the regeneration thing was a major plot point right at the end and that was in the new thread title - so it wasn't possible for people who hadn't seen it yet to avoid the thread...
Posting spoilers is fine. Posting spoilers where people can't avoid seeing them is very much unfair.

Mmmm. I did read in a very recent interview with Mr Tennant that he expected to be playing the Doctor for the forseeable future, so I'm half expecting that he ultimately doesn't change... but OTOH, that could have been a nice bit of bluff.
I like how the Beeb have carefully shown no trailer for next week, so we can't guess from there...

I hate to say it though, but for all the drama and whiz-bang factor of this ep, I was a bit disappointed overall. While I liked how they brought so many familiar faces back into the mix, I found it overly melodramatic in far too many places (eg the whole EXTERMINATE scene, or the Doctor-and-Rose-running-towards-each-other scene)

Still fun overall, but after such great writing in the last few episodes, this seemed a little clumsily done. Here's hoping that next week's pulls it all together.

[EDIT]Interesting summary of the whole regeneration thing here (http://blog.wired.com/underwire/2008/06/doctor-who-clif.html).

Trouble
30th-June-2008, 08:19 AM
my six year old loves it. Just cost me 40 quid at weekend buying him the previous series 3. Adults enjoying it, weird if ya ask me but then again, i watch big brother so wot do i know. :wink:

Beowulf
30th-June-2008, 08:38 AM
the regeneration thing was a major plot point right at the end and that was in the new thread title - so it wasn't possible for people who hadn't seen it yet to avoid the thread...

No big deal though, don't stress. :hug:

:yeah: :hug:

So is the Doctor regenerating??
Possibly.. possibly not... OK POSSIBLE SPOILER ALERT FOLLOWS

David Tennant was photographed filming the Christmas special with loads of hearses and funeral director type people (and snow and cybermen for good measure) and seen talking to David Morrissey, who (in the photographs at least) seems to be wearing a Doctor-esque outfit.

Is David Morrissey the new doctor? Possibly! Could well be a cunningly crafted publicity stunt and David tennant isn’t actually in the episode and only there to draw attention away from the "new" doctor. perhaps even there as "The Doctor" as a previous incarnation. It wouldn't be the first time the new doctor managed to chat to and interact with an older Doctor?

Perhaps David Tennant is STILL the Doctor and David Morrissey is just another character in the episode.

All this is hearsay and supposition.. I know as much as you do.. I've just seen pictures of David Tennant in a yet unaired episode.

Possible Spoilers Above

Please dont quote the obscured text :respect:

thainmaggiet
30th-June-2008, 08:47 AM
:sick:Been away for three weeks, called my son at the end of saturday's episode and asked excitedly, "Who's the new doctor?" to a very frosty "Thanks mum I sky-plussed it!":eek:

Unhappy son, U must catch up with the rest of the 21st century!

pmjd
30th-June-2008, 11:00 AM
It used to be 12 regenerations, giving 13 bodies altogether. David Tennant is Doctor no. 10, so in theory another 3 doctors to go before they have to either kill him off or find a suitable plot device to keep him going for a while yet:whistle:

The Master was brought back from the dead to fight in the time war, presumably with a whole cycle of regenerations and had been offered a new cycle by the time lords previously in an old story called the five doctors....so who knows

David Bailey
30th-June-2008, 12:42 PM
The Master was brought back from the dead to fight in the time war, presumably with a whole cycle of regenerations and had been offered a new cycle by the time lords previously in an old story called the five doctors....so who knows
Let's be honest, they're not going to stop filming Doctor Who in X years' time, just because of some in-story limitation, are they?

It'll be a doddle to think of some handy escape clause.

Dreadful Scathe
30th-June-2008, 02:21 PM
Yeah, just that a lot of people go out dancing on Sat nights and record Doctor Who so hadn't seen it yet - and the regeneration thing was a major plot point right at the end and that was in the new thread title - so it wasn't possible for people who hadn't seen it yet to avoid the thread...

I'm crying for them, I really am :) but if you record something popular, you can't expect other people who have seen it and want to comment on it, not to comment in any of the public places you may venture into; bus stop, pub, forum, work. Look, heres a tear for all the people who's lives were ruined by this spoiler :tears: and anyone that needs a hug, I'm available :)

David Bailey
30th-June-2008, 02:32 PM
I'm crying for them, I really am
Cor, that Power 7's really gone to your head, hasn't it :na:

Anyway, I see that next week's episode is 65 minutes - i.e. 20 minutes longer than normal.

So, :clap:

straycat
1st-July-2008, 07:58 AM
but if you record something popular, you can't expect other people who have seen it and want to comment on it, not to comment in any of the public places you may venture into; bus stop, pub, forum, work.

But you would expect them to have a little consideration, and not to shout out "THE DOCTOR! REGENERATING! HEAR ALL ABOUT IT!" at the tops of their voices, when they have the option of a slightly more discrete conversation.

I agree it's hardly the end of the world**... but respecting other people's reasonable wishes can be quite a good thing to do, IMO, especially when it doesn't inconvenience one in the slightest.

**Of the universe, maybe. The Darkness is Coming.

pmjd
1st-July-2008, 08:38 AM
But you would expect them to have a little consideration, and not to shout out "THE DOCTOR! REGENERATING! HEAR ALL ABOUT IT!" at the tops of their voices, when they have the option of a slightly more discrete conversation.

I agree it's hardly the end of the world**... but respecting other people's reasonable wishes can be quite a good thing to do, IMO, especially when it doesn't inconvenience one in the slightest.

**Of the universe, maybe. The Darkness is Coming.
So when are we all allowed to discuss it then? In real life situations it's a bit easier to wait till the person who doesn't want to know is out of earshot but a tad more tricky on a public forum, where you don't know who has and hasn't seen it. Do we have to resort to a coded did you see when the thigumy happened to.....you know, followed by lots of winking smilies and then have to continue the conversation via pm with others in the know?

If the info about an episode was posted before the episode had aired then that would be crap. However it's a little bit difficult to then expect everyone to keep quiet and not say a word on a discussion forum after the episode had aired, unless you wanted to resort to a load of meaningless superlatives about how the episode was and not actually be able to discuss the plot.

Dreadful Scathe
1st-July-2008, 09:30 AM
Well, to be fair i think the only real issue is the fact that "regeneration" was in the title of the thread - which showed a distinct lack of thought ;)

pmjd
1st-July-2008, 09:34 AM
Maybe this thread needs to be time locked then, to prevent others from not seeing it before they see the episodes:wink:

David Bailey
1st-July-2008, 09:40 AM
Maybe this thread needs to be time locked then, to prevent others from not seeing it before they see the episodes:wink:
Dalek Caan is extremely cool now that he's mad as a hatter - am I the only one who thinks he's quite cute?

OK, fair enough, he rescued the Most Evil Being In The Universe, resulting in the resurrection of a race of brutal fascistic conquering monsters, the stealing of 27 planets, untold mayhem, death, distress and destruction, and weird things happening to the shape of Billie Piper's face. But he's still cute.

cat
1st-July-2008, 09:48 AM
Glad im not the only one who quite likes madness, though he was cute as well :nice:

Twirly
1st-July-2008, 09:56 AM
So when are we all allowed to discuss it then? In real life situations it's a bit easier to wait till the person who doesn't want to know is out of earshot but a tad more tricky on a public forum, where you don't know who has and hasn't seen it. Do we have to resort to a coded did you see when the thigumy happened to.....you know, followed by lots of winking smilies and then have to continue the conversation via pm with others in the know?

It's not difficult at all. There was already a thread about Dr. Who for people to discuss episodes in. There was no need to start a new thread at all, particularly one which gave the plot away in the title! Anyone not wishing to know what happened wouldn't bother to look at the main thread until after they'd seen the episode. By posting what happened as the thread title, no-one who looked in the chit-chat section of the forum, or who looks at the most recently updated threads, could avoid finding out inadvertently.

Luckily for me, Beo told me not to look before we saw it, and kept the thread title from me.

I honestly don't believe that DTS meant any harm, suspect he just got a bit over-excited, and, uhm, posted a bit prematurely :whistle:

pmjd
1st-July-2008, 10:05 AM
It's not difficult at all. There was already a thread about Dr. Who for people to discuss episodes in. There was no need to start a new thread at all, particularly one which gave the plot away in the title! Anyone not wishing to know what happened wouldn't bother to look at the main thread until after they'd seen the episode. By posting what happened as the thread title, no-one who looked in the chit-chat section of the forum, or who looks at the most recently updated threads, could avoid finding out inadvertently.
Ok, missed that a whole new thread about the regeneration had been started, just got all the updates from this thread and wondered what all the fuss was about, makes a bit more sense now:o

Trouble
1st-July-2008, 10:16 AM
I honestly don't believe that DTS meant any harm, suspect he just got a bit over-excited, and, uhm, posted a bit prematurely :whistle:

Story of my life. :wink:

Of course DTS didn't mean to do it. he didn't sit there and think, how can i **** off everybody who is DR WHO mad today.. mmmm i know, i'll tell everyone the plot. ***.

Anyway, lets move on from that cause its really really boring.

What i want to know is.....what is the big deal with this programme. I watched it last saturday with my little one and i have also watched on DVD a lot of the back eposides. Its a little babyish innit. I still cant for the life of me understand why adults would be so into it?

Twirly
1st-July-2008, 10:27 AM
I still cant for the life of me understand why adults would be so into it?

Well let's just say that for me, I'm hoping that David Tenant regenerates into... David Tenant :whistle:

I think that for those of us who watched it as children, it transports us back to those days (rather apt for a time-travelling programme). And it's fun too.

David Bailey
1st-July-2008, 10:31 AM
What i want to know is.....what is the big deal with this programme.
Good writing. Good looking stars. Big guns. Daleks. What's not to like?

I still cant for the life of me understand why adults would be so into it?
Post that comment here (http://www.doctorwhoforum.com/)- I dare you :na:

Keefy
1st-July-2008, 10:36 AM
What i want to know is.....what is the big deal with this programme. I watched it last saturday with my little one and i have also watched on DVD a lot of the back eposides. Its a little babyish innit. I still cant for the life of me understand why adults would be so into it?The secret is in the longevity of the programme, I remember watching it when I was much younger, everybody remembers a doctor from their day. Watching some of the old series now with the clunky monsters and cyber men in wellies is hilarious, but they worked at the time and the format still works now. That's why I watch it, I like a bit of sci-fi, it's like watching an old friend grow up with you :nice:

Trouble
1st-July-2008, 10:39 AM
Good writing. Good looking stars. Big guns. Daleks. What's not to like?

Post that comment here (http://www.doctorwhoforum.com/)- I dare you :na:

aww its tempting, very tempting. LOL..

pmjd
1st-July-2008, 10:51 AM
Go on, you know you want to:rofl: plus some of the posters on there do make this forum seem very tame in comparison*, and that's just arguing about fictional characters!

*yes I am on that forum too, and my girlfriend does despair of me for it lol

David Bailey
1st-July-2008, 10:52 AM

It's a seriously large forum - I logged onto it on Sat evening, 700 people were viewing a single subsection :eek:

Trouble
1st-July-2008, 10:59 AM
Go on, you know you want to:rofl: plus some of the posters on there do make this forum seem very tame in comparison*, and that's just arguing about fictional characters!

*yes I am on that forum too, and my girlfriend does despair of me for it lol

Im bored enough to just do that. Taps fingers on desk....... <evil grin>

Nope, not gonna. Just remembered GOT SOME WORK TO DO. :rolleyes:

pmjd
1st-July-2008, 11:03 AM
It's a seriously large forum - I logged onto it on Sat evening, 700 people were viewing a single subsection :eek:

Which I fully expect to go into meltdown at the weekend, it's slow enough at the moment:rolleyes:

cat
1st-July-2008, 12:20 PM
Im bored enough to just do that. Taps fingers on desk....... <evil grin>

Nope, not gonna. Just remembered GOT SOME WORK TO DO. :rolleyes:

Please do it trouble! it would be sooo easy to wind them all up. Not that i mutter about pmjd wasting his time on that stupid forum or anything :innocent:

pmjd
1st-July-2008, 01:24 PM
Please do it trouble! it would be sooo easy to wind them all up.
You could but they are usually too busy winding each other up:rolleyes: though with 907 online at the moment I'm sure a few people would take the bait trouble:wink:

Not that i mutter about pmjd wasting his time on that stupid forum or anything :innocent:
Yes I do remember the mutters dearest:na:

dave the scaffolder
1st-July-2008, 04:10 PM
Ok sport fans I have donated an undisclosed sum to a charity in pennance for my evil deeds.

DTS XXX XXX

Trouble
1st-July-2008, 04:13 PM
Ok sport fans I have donated an undisclosed sum to a charity in pennance for my evil deeds.

DTS XXX XXX

I didn't receive anything, are you sure you wrote my account number down correctly. Oh incase you have forgotten, my account name is " she puts up with you" , you can pay via bacs or write a cheque. :D :D

Lou
2nd-July-2008, 10:48 AM
Aren't these cute?

http://www.entropyhouse.com/penwiper/who/extermaknit.jpg http://www.mazzmatazz.co.uk/uploads/images/KNITS/20080329_0255.jpg

Shame the BBC threatened legal action on the knitter of the Ood. :mad:
The Open Rights Group : Blog Archive » BBC removes Doctor Who fan’s knitting patterns from the Web (http://www.openrightsgroup.org/2008/05/08/bbc-removes-doctor-who-fans-knitting-patterns-from-the-web/)

ETA: Dalek knitting pattern here (http://www.entropyhouse.com/penwiper/who/extermaknit.html).

cat
2nd-July-2008, 10:52 AM
Wow!!! Where can i get one?!!

Lou
2nd-July-2008, 11:04 AM
Ah... you can still knit the Dalek, but there's copyright issues with the Ood. The Ood knitter also did a pattern for the Adipose...

Brighton Belle
2nd-July-2008, 11:51 AM

I had a look on the Doctor Who forum - these are people who can quote every line from every episode since 1960 and get into long discusssions about missing nobbley bits on daleks :whistle:. David Tennant is apparantly the 10th doctor and the limit set years ago was 12 regenerations but it wouldn't be too difficult to come up with some twist in the story line to counteract this if necessary I'm sure.

The general opinion there seems to be that Tennant is not regenerating at all and will come back as the same person. That if the BBC had employed another Doctor, someone would have spilled the beans by now and we'd know who it was going to be - it would be pretty hard to keep a secret like that.

Only 4 more days to wait anyway and we'll all be put out of our misery! :clap:

Beowulf
2nd-July-2008, 12:00 PM
Aren't these cute?

I retract my self awarded "Most obscure knitting related post of the week" and reaward it to Lou

:respect: :rofl: :respect:

clevedonboy
2nd-July-2008, 12:03 PM
The general opinion there seems to be that Tennant is not regenerating at all and will come back as the same person. That if the BBC had employed another Doctor, someone would have spilled the beans by now and we'd know who it was going to be - it would be pretty hard to keep a secret like that.

There's also lots of excitement as some geeks have analysed every frame of "The Stolen Earth" and conculded that that there is a point in the program where you can hear that Donna has two heartbeats

Beowulf
2nd-July-2008, 12:07 PM
There's also lots of excitement as some geeks have analysed every frame of "The Stolen Earth" and conculded that that there is a point in the program where you can hear that Donna has two heartbeats

ooh?

Hmm does Donna have an old pocket watch perchance? :wink:

I find this to be unlikely.. but then it's Sci-fi and by it's very nature the unlikely is very likely to happen. I mean.. how many times now have they totally destroyed an enemy.. only for it to "miraculously" return though a plothole in the space time continuum the next series.

David Bailey
2nd-July-2008, 12:14 PM
Ah... you can still knit the Dalek, but there's copyright issues with the Ood.
See, I get that there are copyright-infringement issues with people selling stuff based on patterns, but I don't think it's right to go after the person who simply designs the patterns and puts her design on the web for people to share.

It was a massive PR own-goal for the Beeb, there was an article in the Times about it a while back also.

But I imagine they'll release a licensed set of knitted toys at some point, working with Razzwhatsit. It's obviously a money-maker.

pmjd
2nd-July-2008, 01:08 PM
Even I am not that bad:na:

They're still arguing if it's a heartbeat or the drumming sound that the Master heard, which drove him insane

See, I get that there are copyright-infringement issues with people selling stuff based on patterns, but I don't think it's right to go after the person who simply designs the patterns and puts her design on the web for people to share.

Apparently more to do with matters of trademark, which if you don't defend you lose. Though reading the article the BBC are working with the knitter to produce something together.....though they have previously published their own knitting pattern book (http://www.timelash.com/tardis/display.asp?958)

Beowulf
2nd-July-2008, 08:31 PM
I saw this and thought of this thread.. I know I'd like one :)

ThinkGeek :: You Never Forget Your First Doctor (http://www.thinkgeek.com/tshirts/popculture/988c/?cpg=ab)

Stuart M
2nd-July-2008, 09:29 PM
Very unlikely to be a real regeneration IMO.

DW is a show mainly for kiddies, after all, and they wouldn't spring the sudden loss of their favourite virtual uncle on them like that. Also, they've never done a surprise regeneration before (even the first was known about in advance, I think).

Plus, it's far too much of a ratings winner. The whole regeneration thing pulls the viewers in, especially if they manage to keep the identity of the next one under wraps. And with Tennant being the most successful Doc since old Tom, it'd be unfair to not make a big fuss about him leaving.

David Bailey
5th-July-2008, 07:59 PM
And the forums explode... the traffic levels on doctorwhoforum must be at scary levels.

So what did people think?

I thought the big action scenes were rubbish, but Wilf (Bernard Cribbins) redeemed the entire episode - in fact the entire series - with that speech at the end.

I want to start a petition for Wilf as the new companion :)

Lynn
5th-July-2008, 08:30 PM
Hmm, I felt they tried to pack too much in that just didn't 'work' for me. The shot from a Dalek suddenly 'activating' Donna's Doctor side, 'towing' the Earth back home, the 'spare' Doctor being given to Rose like a consolation prize...

And all the Daleks wiped out - again. No details if any survived, but of course some must have - though if bringing them back in vast quantities, with a plan to destroy everything, and the weapon to do it, wasn't enough to stop the Doctor plus team, don't know what they would bring them back to do next time...

I did quite like the 'everyone together in the Tardis' bit - it was a good contrast to the Doctor left on his own again.

David Bailey
5th-July-2008, 08:32 PM
Heh...

The Doctor Who Forum is closed for a few minutes... due to the transmission of "Journey's End" things have gone haywire (with thousands of people attempting to reach the site all at once). While we will be back in a few minutes, we ask that if you are able, to please instead return later in the evening or tomorrow, especially non-UK readers, in order to return the Forum to some semblance of normalcy tonight. Thanks very much!

Lou
5th-July-2008, 10:30 PM
I'll second that. And can I sneakily add Dalek Caan to the new companion petition, too, please? He's fab. :respect:

Little Black Dress
5th-July-2008, 10:33 PM
Well!....What an ending....
Aurion and I loved it! We were sat on the edge of the sofa the whole way through.

I found the episode very intense and felt so sad for Donna and The Doctor at the end. I'm going to miss Donna as the companion - I thought she brought a great energy to the show.

I am also SO happy that David Tennant is still in the show - I really felt it was too soon for him to leave. :clap:

FirstMove
6th-July-2008, 12:41 AM
... Wilf as the new companion :)

Strangely I was thinking that too. And quite independently, so was my Mum.

I think all of the (modern) DW series endings have been poor. This was one of the better ones, but it still had far too many random plot jumps that you couldn't possibly have seen coming. Last week's episode was the best of the series, but this series has generally been disappointing. Nothing got close to Blink.

If I was DT, I'd have taken the opportunity to regenerate and finish on a high. The Christmas specials have always been tripe. Why would you want to do 4 specials back to back?:eek::eek::eek:

thainmaggiet
6th-July-2008, 09:46 AM
I'll second that. And can I sneakily add Dalek Caan to the new companion petition, too, please? He's fab. :respect:I loved it!! Especially Dalek Caan [Ghengis] who I find strangely attractive:awe:

dave the scaffolder
6th-July-2008, 11:46 AM
Oh I say...It is all flimed in Wales you know..

Magnificent I say Magnificent.

DTS XXX XXX

Beowulf
6th-July-2008, 12:26 PM

I'll second that.

Strangely I was thinking that too. And quite independently, so was my Mum.

Well of course you do realise he was actually a "sort of" companion previously... in "Daleks' Invasion Earth: 2150 A.D" he Played Tom Campbell to Peter Cushing's Doctor Who (who incidentally made another Doctor Who Movie.. "Dr. Who and the Daleks"

It's why Bernard did the Paintgun thing.. there was a scene where IIRC he obscures the vision of a Dalek which then whirls around wildly stating "MY VISION IS IMPAIRED!" ..w hich is why I laughed when he paint balled the Dalek only for it to go "MY VISION IS NOT IMPAIRED!" .. ah smart things these Daleks.. the can learn from events that haven't happened yet.. it';s the time war thing I guess.

Did anyone else find the German speaking Daleks hilarious though :rofl:

Oh and my previous obscured post... all became clear in the Christmas special teaser after the credits :)

Tiggerbabe
6th-July-2008, 01:17 PM
Me too, watched it very late last night (this morning) after coming home from the Dundee party :clap: That speech brought a tear to my eye :tears:

TA Guy
6th-July-2008, 02:07 PM
Couple of good emotion tug points, but felt they tried to pack too much in. As a kiddies program it was fine, as something for more adult audience, there were huge plot jumps that made it a bit disjointed.

I also vote for Wilf as a companion, with someone else. More than one companion is allowed :)

I presume now there will be a story about whatever or whoever was arranging it all. The Doctor and Donnas meet etc. Bet Donnas ring is involved, that seemed to feature a bit :)

Bring back Martha too. Wilf and Martha for companions !!!!

straycat
6th-July-2008, 05:14 PM
I presume now there will be a story about whatever or whoever was arranging it all. The Doctor and Donnas meet etc. Bet Donnas ring is involved, that seemed to feature a bit :)

I thought it was established that that was all Dalek Kahn/Caan's doing?

Overall, I really liked the episode - good season ending. BUT.... Donna's fate was a classic example of 'be careful what you wish for' :(

I was hoping for most of the series that Donna was going to meet a horrible fate - quite simply because her character annoyed me that much.

And she did meet a horrible fate. Unfortunately, that fate was for her to lose all the many improvements that her personality had gained from proximity to the Doctor, and to go back to being that same useless, loud, irritating, ignorant waste of space that she started off as. A sad fate for her, a sadder one for her family, friends and the rest of the world :tears:

Extra thoughts:
This must, surely, be the end of the Daleks? No - we didn't see Davros die, but their actions had to have doomed him also... Surely? Thoughts?

That's the last we'll see of Rose, I'm thinking - they've given her a nice happy ending, and sealed her off again - so I suspect they'll leave her be now.

Mickey - presumably - will now become a regular Torchwood cast member? Wonder if they'll get Martha in on that as well?

My favourite line in the whole thing: when Jack sees the three 'doctors' together, and says something along the lines of "You'll never guess what I'm thinking." Now that was funny....

TA Guy
6th-July-2008, 10:07 PM
I thought it was established that that was all Dalek Kahn/Caan's doing?

He forsaw it. I'm not sure it ever said he arranged it. More than once he did the "it's been fated" thing. Which kinda implied 'not by him'. Can't really think that plastic bit of washing machine hose managed to get Donna to park her car next to the Doctors Tardis somehow :) Don't really have a clue tho, I'm hoping for some archvillian to step up, preferably female, in some Kate Beckinsale Underworld type costume. Maybe the Doctors divorced and now slightly insane wife from the future and 56th incarnation or something ? :)

This must, surely, be the end of the Daleks? No - we didn't see Davros die, but their actions had to have doomed him also... Surely? Thoughts?

You poor naive fool. Your lucky you've got the Doctor to save you! :)

Lou
6th-July-2008, 10:25 PM
He forsaw it. I'm not sure it ever said he arranged it. More than once he did the "it's been fated" thing. Which kinda implied 'not by him'.
He said he foresaw it, and nudged it along a bit by altering time, as he didn't like what Davros & the Supreme Dalek were plotting. Quite how he did it wasn't made clear, but it it's probably because he's the total personification of "Wibbly Wobbly Timey Wimey"! So he betrayed the daleks & was a jolly good egg. :clap: And quite undeserving of this insult:
Can't really think that plastic bit of washing machine hose managed to get Donna to park her car next to the Doctors Tardis somehow :na: :na: :na:

I ♥ Dalek Caan! Saviour of the Universe! :D

Stuart M
7th-July-2008, 08:18 AM
Well, it was as mad as a dimensionally transcendental blue box of frogs, but I thought it was great fun, especially the Daleks speaking German. Thing is, I'm of the view that Russell's version of Who kindof detroys my childhood version and that is no bad thing. "My" era of Who was the po-faced, hard sci-fi Davison era, which, in retrospect, was pretty crap. Russell's version is quite far removed from that.

I have one major complaint though. That Russell T Davies, King Magpie of sci-fi writing (Kylie's Ripley impersonation in the Christmas special, the Return of the Jedi pyre, the Flash Gordon "picking up the ring" moment, etc etc), was not able at any point to write in a scene like this:

[Insane burbling blasted Dalek saviour of Davros looms on viewscreen, laughing manically]
The Doctor [staring up at viewscreen in frustrated rage]: Caaaaaaaaaaaaaaannnnnnnnnn!!!!!!!!!

:rolleyes:

Twirly
7th-July-2008, 10:10 AM
Also thought of Wilf as the new companion... since so many picked up on this possiblity, can't help but wonder if we were being nudged in this direction. However, since Donna is supposed to never know about the Doctor, how would they explain his absence to her?

Did anyone else think that the whole moving the planets around looked like a giant game of pinball :confused:

RedFox
7th-July-2008, 02:01 PM
I had a look on the Doctor Who forum - these are people who can quote every line from every episode since 1960 and get into long discusssions about missing nobbley bits on daleks :whistle:. David Tennant is apparantly the 10th doctor and the limit set years ago was 12 regenerations but it wouldn't be too difficult to come up with some twist in the story line to counteract this if necessary I'm sure.

Probably my memory, but I seem to recall that - years ago - there was once a 'limit' of 4 regenerations. If so it was obviously found to be fairly flexible...

David Bailey
7th-July-2008, 02:16 PM
Probably my memory, but I seem to recall that - years ago - there was once a 'limit' of 4 regenerations. If so it was obviously found to be fairly flexible...
The "official" limit is 12 - i.e. 13 lives. But hell, they found a way round that for the Master, they'll do the same for the Doc.

Hmmm, I wonder if Tennant should be referred to as the "10.5"th Doctor now :)

pmjd
7th-July-2008, 02:23 PM

Nope, never been a four generation limit. The 12 regeneration limit was introduced in Tom Baker's time in the story the Deadly Assasin. Previous to that it had only been mentioned in a Patrick Troughton's last story the war games, which introduced the Timelords, the Doctor said his people could live forever barring accidents.

Trouble
7th-July-2008, 02:49 PM
I watched it in parts saturday. Confused the hell out of me. My six yr old was explaining it. :rolleyes:

David Bailey
7th-July-2008, 03:07 PM
I watched it in parts saturday. Confused the hell out of me. My six yr old was explaining it. :rolleyes:
The Daleks are the bad guys. :D

Lou
7th-July-2008, 03:20 PM
The Daleks are the bad guys. :D
Well, most of them are. :D

David Bailey
7th-July-2008, 03:37 PM
Is there a Dalek Caan fansite set up?

"The sayings of Dalek Caan", something like that?

Surely there must be at least one, somewhere...

Lou
7th-July-2008, 03:58 PM
Is there a Dalek Caan fansite set up?

"The sayings of Dalek Caan", something like that?

Surely there must be at least one, somewhere...

I'm a member of this facebook group (http://www.facebook.com/home.php#/group.php?gid=51763845532)... :D:clap:

David Bailey
7th-July-2008, 04:28 PM
I'm a member of this facebook group (http://www.facebook.com/home.php#/group.php?gid=51763845532)... :D:clap:

That's nothing - he's on Facebook:
Login | Facebook (http://www.facebook.com/friends/?id=1199431324)

:rofl: There goes another keyboard.

Lou
7th-July-2008, 04:40 PM
That's nothing - he's on Facebook:
Login | Facebook (http://www.facebook.com/friends/?id=1199431324)

:rofl: There goes another keyboard.

And you haven't even seen the Dalek Fred* mania!

Dalek Fred on YouTube (http://www.youtube.com/results?search_query=dalek+fred&search_type=)

*Dalek Fred was the one dalek who did something no other dalek has ever managed to do in the whole history of Doctor Who - and that's exterminate the Doctor!

Keefy
7th-July-2008, 07:17 PM
Well I watched it, then I watched it again... overall I just wasn't impressed, it didn't grab me, in fact nothing in this series has :sad: RTD seemed to be running out of ideas, the whole three parter was a bit long and drawn out, he just threw everything available into the script and let it stew with no real thread and some very tenuous links.

One good thing though - CT has been written out, completely :clap: It's going to take one hell of a back-track and a ridiculous plot to get her back, I think that was deliberate :grin:

Icey
9th-July-2008, 01:37 PM
Mr Darcy and I had recorded the last 3 episodes and watched them back to back. I was jumping up and down on the sofa shouting for him to hurry up when one finished and I was waiting for another to start :blush:

I ratehr enjoyed them, especially when the doctor (10.5) was talking like Donna - that had me in stiches. Also the german daleks were cool.

I felt it very sad that Donna lost all the memories of their travels and adventures and a little bit of me hopes that she will be brought back ... somehow.

Off on a tangent, Mr Darcy and I are off to the exhibtion at Earl Court on the 21st as a birthady treat :clap: