PDA

View Full Version : adapting your moves to the music

Little Monkey
29th-March-2005, 12:21 PM
Hi!

Sorry if there already is a thread on this subject - I couldn't find one, hence I'm starting this one! (Closest thread would be "how to avoid pain"?)

Last night I had a rather.... Uncomfortable and unpleasant dance experience. I danced to quite a fast track, with a guy who had tons of enthusiasm, but no rythm nor any idea of what moves to do to fast music! The reslult was that he nearly ripped my arms out of their sockets, trying to twist me into all sorts of moves (mostly double-handed, intricate head-locking, wrapping kinda moves) that a) he clearly only had a vague idea of how to lead, and b) would be great to slower music, but suicidal to the track we were dancing to! :eek:

So, to all leads out there: please try to adjust your moves, or selection of moves, to the music you're dancing to! And if you've just learned a really cool, new & intricate move, DON'T try to practice this to really fast music, as you can end up really hurting your partner! :mad:

There are some moves that are more suited to slow music, and some that are great to fast music - and of course a whole bunch of moves that can be danced to nearly any speed! If dancing to very fast music, also bear in mind that if you throw in huge amounts of moves that involve lots of spinning and travelling for the girl, she might not last more that about half the track before dropping into a dead faint on the floor..... ;)

Some teachers make a point of telling their class that certain moves are better suited to faster / slower / bluesy / latin (etc) music. Try to listen to your teachers advice, and that way your dancing will look soooo much better, and your partner will be much happier! :) Of course, not all teachers are good at telling their class that certain moves are not suitable for fast music.... Maybe something they should keep in mind??

Rant over. :whistle:

Little Monkey

Andreas
29th-March-2005, 12:46 PM
Yes, that can be quite dreadful. I would not only say 'adapt range of moves to speed of music' but also 'adapt range of moves to your ability and that of your dance partner'.

I have posted that before, as it counts equally much for guys AND girls: If you don't feel comfortable with the high speed, have the courage to say 'no, too fast, let's have the next dance' and sit out! It is not very healthy to either part if you struggle your way through that dance ... and no doubt it is no fun either.

:flower:

spindr
29th-March-2005, 01:34 PM
I will tend to adapt my move selection to fast music -- and I do add "rest" moves especially if I ask someone to dance. However, if someone asks me for a particular track, I do tend to assume that they're happy to dance at that tempo :)

SpinDr.

Little Monkey
29th-March-2005, 01:44 PM
I will tend to adapt my move selection to fast music -- and I do add "rest" moves
:yeah:
It's soooo nice to get some rest moves in a fast track, to give you time to catch your breath before "giving it all" again!

However, if someone asks me for a particular track, I do tend to assume that they're happy to dance at that tempo :)

SpinDr.

Errrrrr.... Yes, one would assume so...? I love fast swingy tracks, but with the right partner...... Just as I prefer bluesy tracks with certain dancers! :)

LM

John S
29th-March-2005, 02:05 PM
Poor Little Monkey - but now your arms are MUCH longer, and you can swing through the trees better. :D

I think maybe the guy in question got caught out - there was one track last night that was a bit deceptive, it started off at medium tempo then got faster and faster until by the end it was at planetary escape velocity (can't remember what it was, presumably DJ Tramp will know as he probably chose it to wipe out the male alternatives and could then dance with 6 women at once.) :mad:

Little Monkey
29th-March-2005, 02:15 PM
Poor Little Monkey - but now your arms are MUCH longer, and you can swing through the trees better. :D

:rofl: :rofl: :rofl:

I think maybe the guy in question got caught out - there was one track last night that was a bit deceptive, it started off at medium tempo then got faster and faster until by the end it was at planetary escape velocity (can't remember what it was, presumably DJ Tramp will know as he probably chose it to wipe out the male alternatives and could then dance with 6 women at once.) :mad:

Nope, during that track I was watching Trampy and his partner, wishing I was dancing with someone good, not just standing next to the floor watching, as I LOVE that track!! Yep, extremely challenging, but soooo good! :clap:

The track we danced to was fast from the start, and the person in question doesn't manage to find the rythm even on slower and "easier" tracks.... So in the future, I shall just make a polite excuse not to dance with him.... :(

Little Long-Armed Monkey

TheTramp
29th-March-2005, 03:12 PM
It was a track called "Bei Mir Bist Du Schon".

Sorry you didn't enjoy it John :whistle:

PS. I think it's great. Thanks Angela :flower:

Graham
29th-March-2005, 03:23 PM
I will tend to adapt my move selection to fast music -- and I do add "rest" moves especially if I ask someone to dance. However, if someone asks me for a particular track, I do tend to assume that they're happy to dance at that tempo :)
Me too. In fact I must confess that if someone asks me to dance to a fast track I will sometimes lead moves that involve a lot of movement for her and not much for me. :devil:

TheTramp
29th-March-2005, 03:29 PM
Me too. In fact I must confess that if someone asks me to dance to a fast track I will sometimes lead moves that involve a lot of movement for her and not much for me. :devil:
Aha. A graduate of the DavidB school of dancing. Except that he advises this method to every track.... :na:

Graham
29th-March-2005, 03:40 PM
Aha. A graduate of the DavidB school of dancing. Except that he advises this method to every track.... :na:
Well would you rather watch David move or Lily? :wink:

TheTramp
29th-March-2005, 03:43 PM
Well would you rather watch David move or Lily? :wink:
David.

But purely for comedy value :D

Little Monkey
29th-March-2005, 04:42 PM

PS. I think it's great. Thanks Angela :flower:

You guys were great fun to watch! And the track is just fab!! But quite possibly not everyone's cup of tea, though.... :rolleyes: But it's nice that you throw in one or two challenging tracks every now and again, to keep people like myself happy..... I was moaning about your music for the first few tracks in freestyle, but then you followed up with some great stuff!! :hug:

LM

TheTramp
29th-March-2005, 04:49 PM
You guys were great fun to watch! And the track is just fab!! But quite possibly not everyone's cup of tea, though.... :rolleyes: But it's nice that you throw in one or two challenging tracks every now and again, to keep people like myself happy..... I was moaning about your music for the first few tracks in freestyle, but then you followed up with some great stuff!! :hug:

LM
Ah. The first few tracks in freestyle are deliberately meant to be easier tracks (well known, easy paced (boring? :rolleyes: )). For those wanting to practise the moves that they've just learnt in the class, and for the beginners coming back after their revision class.

I never particularly enjoy dancing to those either. And usually sit out, and wait for the DJ to play some of the better stuff later on (I don't just say me, since that should apply to every DJ! (personal opinion of course)).

Of course, with trying to get plenty of variety, there should be a bit of something for everyone. I don't expect anyone to like, or want to dance, every track I play. I certainly don't!! But at least you know that if you don't like something when I'm DJing, then wait a track or two, and you'll be getting something completely different....

At least, that's the plan :flower:

John S
29th-March-2005, 05:04 PM

Au contraire, I did enjoy it, and even managed to keep going until the end - not finishing early is something I am always grateful for at my age. :whistle:

However the need for heart massage afterwards was something I hadn't been planning for when I started the dance! :what:

TheTramp
29th-March-2005, 05:16 PM
Au contraire, I did enjoy it, and even managed to keep going until the end - not finishing early is something I am always grateful for at my age. :whistle:

However the need for heart massage afterwards was something I hadn't been planning for when I started the dance! :what:
Ah. That's good then.....

I'm sure that you weren't short of offers of a heart massage :devil:

Little Monkey
29th-March-2005, 06:55 PM
Of course, with trying to get plenty of variety, there should be a bit of something for everyone. I don't expect anyone to like, or want to dance, every track I play. I certainly don't!! But at least you know that if you don't like something when I'm DJing, then wait a track or two, and you'll be getting something completely different....

At least, that's the plan :flower:

I know, I know - you can't always please everyone all the time! Impossible!! Have to cater for the beginners, too.... :rolleyes:

And yes, there's always that special track somewhere on your playlist that I just have to dance to - and get ever so p****d off if I can't find the right partner! :D

LM