PDA

View Full Version : Ballroom meets Modern Jive

Minnie M
27th-March-2005, 10:59 AM
Last night I put on an "All Dayer" with ballroom classes and a dance in the evening. The evening dance had two dance halls, one for modern jive (DJ: Andy McGregor) and the other for all other dance styles (DJ: Bobgadget) - other styles included all ballroom, latin, tango etc etc.

There was a mixture of both accomplished ballroom/latin dancers and modern jivers.

Workshops seemed to go well (not for me to say) - the evening dance was a real success.

The modern jivers moved from hall to hall, the ballroom people stayed in the main room, but all seemed to having a great time.

There was an amazing Argentinean Tango cabaret too.

This was my first (and joint) venture into putting on an event, I did the organising and Carola, who runs a dance school in Brighton (Carola arranged most of the workshops).

My thanks go to Miguel (Salsa Magic) for a great Salsa class and the icebreaker Bachata class AND

Big big thanks to Lily and David Barker who came all the way from London just for a couple of hours (Lily had to rush back for a very special evening :whistle: ) They were amazing and I had people asking about them and West Coast Swing all evening

Not forgetting a big thank you to the Swinging Bees and Clive Long for taking the chance to see what it was all about.

But the stars of the evening were without doubt ANDY McGREGOR and BOBGADGET - they kept the dancers on the floor all evening :clap: :cheers: :clap:

Andy McGregor
27th-March-2005, 12:59 PM
But the stars of the evening were without doubt ANDY McGREGOR and BOBGADGET - they kept the dancers on the floor all evening :clap: :cheers: :clap:
:blush:

This was the easiest time I've ever had as a DJ. I worked out that the dancers all seemed to like what I liked - so after a playing the handful of pop tracks I usually throw in for the beginners I realised there weren't any inexperienced dancers and played swing/latin/blues all night :whistle:

And, I was a bit worried as the MJ was in a small room with a floor that looked like lino. Whatever this floor was it was FAB. I pulled off quadruple spins on the spot with no trouble at all - but I might have counted wrong :wink:

Mary
27th-March-2005, 01:07 PM
Sounds like it was a great event - well done Minnie. Hope you do another event like it (as it seems to fit a gap in the market) as I would love to come along.

M

Minnie M
27th-March-2005, 01:08 PM
I started this thread primarily to start up a debate of what fellow forumites think of mixing these two dance styles in an event.

Mine (I think) was sucessful - people were saying nice things during the day. However I think it is the first time we have had an "All Dayer" like this, that is with Ballroom/Latin etc., ONLY workshops and also mixing the two styles in the evening

Comments please fellow MJers / forumites :flower:

thanks Mary - just seen your post

Clive Long
27th-March-2005, 01:51 PM
The first time I have ever been thanked for turning up! Though the opposite has been true.

I had a lovely day.

Jane's teaching (with Jo's support) was very clear. My hang up about basic Rumba is now dealt with.

The large hall was great to learn and practice in.

The MJ "broom cupboard" had a claustrophobic intensity that actually suited that style of dance.

I chatted to loads of people and they even answered back - people in Sussex are so polite.

Weather was gorgeous. All in all a super day.

Thank-you.

Clive

Andy McGregor
28th-March-2005, 12:25 AM
The MJ "broom cupboard" had a claustrophobic intensity that actually suited that style of dance.That 'broom cupboard' presented me with a big challenge. How do you light a room where the only lighting would give it the ambience of a hotel kitchen? After taking along amost every light and lighting controller I own I think we did OK - we even had special scanners for the DJ booth.

Thank-you.

Clive
:yeah:

Clive Long
28th-March-2005, 10:22 AM
The first time I have ever been thanked for turning up! Though the opposite has been true.

I had a lovely day.

<< snip >>

The MJ "broom cupboard" had a claustrophobic intensity that actually suited that style of dance.
<< snip >>

Thank-you.

Clive

Clive,
<< snip >>

I really am upset that people might think I have squashed dancers into a very small hall The whole idea of the dance was to get people dancing ballroom and latin, the MJ was an extra

<< snip >>

Lynda

You have made a vital point - that the MJ was an "extra" and that the point of the day was ballroom lessons and a real "dance" in the evening in a hall big enough to cater for a significant number of dancers. In fact I liked the small room added for MJ - made the MJ hot and sweaty - the way I like it.

Your hard work really paid off and as I wrote I had a lovely day. Remember the numbers of people that were there and their smiling faces - that is the real measure of how successful the day was and how much people got out of it. None of that would have happened if you hadn't made it happen. Well done.

Don't think there were problems and certainly don't have reservations about organising another day

Clive

Swinging bee
28th-March-2005, 11:46 AM
Last night I put on an "All Dayer" with ballroom classes and a dance in the evening. The evening dance had two dance halls, one for modern jive (DJ: Andy McGregor) and the other for all other dance styles (DJ: Bobgadget) - other styles included all ballroom, latin, tango etc etc.

There was a mixture of both accomplished ballroom/latin dancers and modern jivers.

Workshops seemed to go well (not for me to say) - the evening dance was a real success.

The modern jivers moved from hall to hall, the ballroom people stayed in the main room, but all seemed to having a great time.

There was an amazing Argentinean Tango cabaret too.

This was my first (and joint) venture into putting on an event, I did the organising and Carola, who runs a dance school in Brighton (Carola arranged most of the workshops).

My thanks go to Miguel (Salsa Magic) for a great Salsa class and the icebreaker Bachata class AND

Big big thanks to Lily and David Barker who came all the way from London just for a couple of hours (Lily had to rush back for a very special evening :whistle: ) They were amazing and I had people asking about them and West Coast Swing all evening

Not forgetting a big thank you to the Swinging Bees and Clive Long for taking the chance to see what it was all about.

Many thanks for a wonderful day. As we have recently started learning ballroom we found the classes were a great help. The whole event was extremely well organised and ran to time.
In the evening we tried out our new skills in the main hall, and flitted backwards & forwards between the two halls. This worked very well. Unfortunately Clive's comment 'Broom Cupboard' was probably an unfortunate choice of words. The modern Jive hall had a nice atmosphere, and both Andy & Bob played some superb music to dance to. Well done all!!! More, more, more!
Love both Swinging Bees XX :grin:

lindyloo
28th-March-2005, 12:03 PM
Well done Minnie, Bob told me yesterday what a great event it was. He said that everyone had a great time and the Ballroom and Latin was a success.
It just shows at last that Ballroom and Latin is eventually making a comeback, which I'm really thrilled about and hopefully we'll see more of it. :yeah:

It was also great to see people practising their cha cha and Rumbas yesterday at The Chill Out Lounge.

:clap:

bobgadjet
29th-March-2005, 03:13 AM
Thanks SOOOOOOOOO much for letting me part of a fantastic day.

I've just got back from a welcome rest in Poole after a very hectic w/end that I would not have wanted to miss.
I was also glad to have the opportunity to try out some of MY tracks for Ballroom and Latin. Glad they worked, and were so well received.

All the dancers seemed to enjoy themselves, and the teachers showed their expertise in gettiong some real novices to get into more than just beginners routines, especially in Waltz and Foxtrot, let alone the Rumba.

A gem of a day organised by two Gems on the dance circuit :flower:

I only have one question left now,........ WHEN IS THE NEXT ONE ?