PDA

View Full Version : Yet more Forum Research

El Salsero Gringo
25th-March-2005, 09:08 PM
This one's especially for Trousers.

27084 posts from 897 threads from the "Let's talk about Dance" Forum analyzed, this time for thread duration (first post until last) and interval between consecutive posts in a thread.

nearly 25% of threads last a day or less.

35% of posts are put up within 15 minutes of the previous post in the same thread.

Robin
26th-March-2005, 12:55 AM
35% of posts are put up within 15 minutes of the previous post in the same thread.

ahhh, you obviously didn;t post this in the right forum then - its been 3hours 46 minutes since you posted and this is the first reply.

btw: how many statisticians does it take to change a lightbulb?

Minnie M
26th-March-2005, 01:36 AM
btw: how many statisticians does it take to change a lightbulb?

:rofl:

Trousers
27th-March-2005, 12:51 AM
This one's especially for Trousers.

I'm flattered but still stunned this is a source of a new thread.

Where are all the thread jockeys that jump on the threads saying 'see all these other similar postings' and then move them somewhere obscure.

In fact forget the similar postings - just move any more of these somewhere obscure and fast.

Please? Frank's my hero I bet he could.

MartinHarper
27th-March-2005, 02:40 AM
Just move any more of these somewhere obscure and fast.

I'm sure you enjoy El Salsero's statistics almost as much as I enjoy your whining about it.... :)

Trousers
29th-March-2005, 12:14 AM
I'm sure you enjoy El Salsero's statistics almost as much as I enjoy your whining about it.... :)
I see my WHINING as a public service in an attempt to abate the constant stream of useless statistical data that I have as yet been unable to see a point of, understand the mind set behind or even completely read a single posting of.

As to your enjoying my whining as you put it.... I don't believe a word of it because 'IMHO' wasn't in your posting.

MartinHarper
29th-March-2005, 12:54 AM
What if there was a non-whining alternative (http://www.cerocscotland.com/forum/profile.php?do=addlist&userlist=ignore&u=1275)? Would that help?

El Salsero Gringo
29th-March-2005, 09:31 AM
I have as yet been unable to see a point of, understand the mind set behind or even completely read a single posting of.

Can I whine about your grammar, then? That's three clauses (including one that ends the sentence) all finished with a preposition. Naughty.

Martin: your very kind link just doesn't work for me. Fancy that.

Lou
29th-March-2005, 10:49 AM
Martin: your very kind link just doesn't work for me. Fancy that.
[Grammar pedant] "Very kind link"? How can an inanimate object be kind? [\Grammar pedant] :wink:

El Salsero Gringo
29th-March-2005, 11:36 AM
[Grammar pedant] "Very kind link"? How can an inanimate object be kind? [\Grammar pedant] :wink:Ah, Lou, Good question. It is in fact a transferred epithet, where the adjective is transferred to a noun that it wouldn't normally qualify - for special emphasis or effect - while the meaning remains clear.

Other examples:

"He ate a moody breakfast."
"The ploughman homeward plods his weary way." - Thomas Grey (Elegy written in a Country Churchyard)

Many other examples are found in Latin and Greek literature.

:wink:

Robin
29th-March-2005, 02:54 PM
Ah, Lou, Good question. It is in fact a transferred epithet, where the adjective is transferred to a noun that it wouldn't normally qualify - for special emphasis or effect - while the meaning remains clear.

Other examples:

"He ate a moody breakfast."
"The ploughman homeward plods his weary way." - Thomas Grey (Elegy written in a Country Churchyard)

Many other examples are found in Latin and Greek literature.

:wink:

Does "After many posts he ended up with a fat lip?" qualify ?

El Salsero Gringo
29th-March-2005, 03:06 PM
Does "After many posts he ended up with a fat lip?" qualify ?No. But "Involuntarily, he succumbed to swallow a belligerent pile of his own CD's, mixing desk and LED-powered disco lights," probably does.

Clive Long
29th-March-2005, 03:50 PM
<< snip >>
a belligerent pile
<< snip>>
I can give you a rather effective cream for that if the problem persists

Clive

Robin
30th-March-2005, 02:01 AM
I can give you a rather effective cream for that if the problem persists

Clive
Thats quite all right, I have my own prescription - after taking ESG's advice !