PDA

View Full Version : Ten things I learnt from MJ...

David Bailey
25th-March-2005, 09:01 PM
In no particular order:

1. Once you are used to partner-dancing, going to a nightclub is a weird and pointless experience.
2. And whoever invented disco has a lot to answer for.
3. There's a good dancer hidden in most people.
4. And people are generally nicer than you may think in a big city.
5. You can have a great night out, meeting lots of people, without either drinking or spending lots of money.
6. There'll always be another dance event coming up, but you only get issued with 1 back / set of knees / shoulders / other body parts, so put them first.
7. If you either take your partner dancing, or meet your partner through dancing, it saves a lot of explanations in the long run.
8. Chemistry is real, inexplicable, and wonderful.
9. But dancing is not sex.
10. Well, most of the time... :)

Anyone else want to contribute?

Tiggerbabe
26th-March-2005, 10:49 AM
Well, I'm still learning..........but so far I've learned that

1. A dancer can never have too many shoes (oh! Hang on, maybe us girls knew about that already :wink: )
2. "Floors" appear at the top of the description of a venue.
3. If you can't dance in it - you're unlikely to buy it!
4. Travelling for hours/miles to go to a dance is perfectly sensible :D
5.No matter how tired you think you are, when you hear "that" song you'll always want to dance :drool:
6. Blues is not a bad/sad thing.
7. There are not enough hours in a night/days in a week/weekends in a year :whistle:
8. And finally, there is a place in this world for shiny, green, snakeskin lycra :rofl:

philsmove
26th-March-2005, 01:51 PM
Chat forums are addictive
Dancing in fields, the office, railway stations, mountain tops, in fact anywhere, is to be considered as, normal behavior

David Bailey
26th-March-2005, 02:12 PM
6. Blues is not a bad/sad thing.
Actually, I only learnt that myself a few weeks back :)
OK, that's 11 things...

Lory
26th-March-2005, 02:44 PM
:yeah: to all the above

plus...

Ugly people can turn into extremely attractive people if they REALLY know how to dance with you! :o

It becomes harder and harder to find the time to see friends who don't dance. :blush:

Calendars start looking like a dance event listings :na:

Bryman
26th-March-2005, 04:04 PM
10 things? Hmmmm....

1- 9 Life HAS meaning.
10 I think I might be a little obsessed! :devil:

(and this forum makes for compulsive reading :D )

Salutations tya all
Bry

Gadget
27th-March-2005, 12:06 AM
1) you can have a "connection" with someone without being lovers, married, close friends or related. :yum:

2) some people don't dance, and have no interest in it :what: :confused:

3) listening to music is even more entertaining/stimulating than watching TV :cool:

4) dancing on your own is 'two-dimensional' in comparison to dancing with a partner

5) Non-dancing partners, children, nor bank managers understand the desire to spend every weekend dancing or going to things to improve your dancing. :(

6) no matter how bad anything gets, I have a remote place isolated from it all that I can enjoy mysef; the dance floor, :D

7) there is a strong community of helpfull and warm individuals throught the world that share in a passion and friendship :flower:

8) Every question answered and every goal attained generates at least three new ones to aim for: the more I know and the better I get, the more I realise how little I know and how much better I could try and be. :tears:

9) Some people as just as anal, nitt-picking, argumentative, bloodyminded, obsessive and addicted as I am. :what:

10) Lastly, MJ has taught me how to dance. :worthy:

Whitebeard
27th-March-2005, 12:23 AM
To sad, bereaved, and lonely people, MJ opens a whole new world where the basic sincerity and decency of ordinary people flourishes ..... and brings fresh hope and joy.

ChrisA
27th-March-2005, 12:35 AM
..... oops (deleted) :blush:

Julie G
27th-March-2005, 02:23 PM
1) It is possible that when a guy asks you to dance, it's because he wants to dance with you, and not because he wants you to go home with him at the end of the night
2) It is dangerously easy to forget that guys outside of modern jive circles don't always think like the guys in point 1)

philsmove
27th-March-2005, 03:52 PM
6) no matter how bad anything gets, I have a remote place isolated from it all that I can enjoy mysef; the dance floor, :D

7) there is a strong community of helpfull and warm individuals throught the world that share in a passion and friendship :flower:

:

:yeah: :yeah: :yeah:
sums it all up :cheers:

Feelingpink
27th-March-2005, 04:26 PM
1) It is possible that when a guy asks you to dance, it's because he wants to dance with you, and not because he wants you to go home with him at the end of the night
2) It is dangerously easy to forget that guys outside of modern jive circles don't always think like the guys in point 1)

:yeah: , especially number 2, so I have discovered that I should not try to explain to a muggle why I might want more than one dance partner in a night - it just doesn't make for a great date :what: ... much less that I might have "just 15" :what: :what: :what: ... and after seeing the betrayed "you are a complete hussey" look on his face, I definitely didn't think I could mention enjoying more partners than I could count on my fingers and toes :whistle:

David Bailey
27th-March-2005, 08:38 PM
:yeah: , especially number 2, so I have discovered that I should not try to explain to a muggle why I might want more than one dance partner in a night - it just doesn't make for a great date :what: ... much less that I might have "just 15" :what: :what: :what: ... and after seeing the betrayed "you are a complete hussey" look on his face, I definitely didn't think I could mention enjoying more partners than I could count on my fingers and toes :whistle:
Hmmm, it does sound bad when you put it that way :whistle:

robd
9th-October-2007, 05:20 PM
:yeah:

http://a6.vox.com/6a00cdf3a28cf0cb8f00d41442034e3c7f-320pi

fletch
9th-October-2007, 05:36 PM
Well, I'm still learning..........but so far I've learned that

1. A dancer can never have too many shoes (oh! Hang on, maybe us girls knew about that already :wink: )

3. If you can't dance in it - you're unlikely to buy it!

4. Travelling for hours/miles to go to a dance is perfectly sensible :D

5.No matter how tired you think you are, when you hear "that" song you'll always want to dance :drool:

7. There are not enough hours in a night/days in a week/weekends in a year :whistle:
8. And finally, there is a place in this world for shiny, green, snakeskin lycra :rofl:

3. unless your names 'Fletch' see this Fridays 'out fit' :rolleyes::waycool:

4. :yeah:

5. :yeah:

7. :yeah:

8. :clap: share

To sad, bereaved, and lonely people, MJ opens a whole new world where the basic sincerity and decency of ordinary people flourishes ..... and brings fresh hope and joy.

It does bring fresh hope :hug:

jive_me
9th-October-2007, 10:45 PM
I apologise if this is terribly cheesy but...:na:

MJ has taught me that age is just a number. When I started I was 17 and the majority of dancers were a lot older than me...there's been only a few rare moments when I've felt my age played against me.

xXx:flower:

Vegetable
10th-October-2007, 12:39 AM
Im hope that! I can become less shy and more confedent!, im hopein 2 learn this from MJ

bigdjiver
10th-October-2007, 01:04 AM
Im hope that! I can become less shy and more confedent!, im hopein 2 learn this from MJOne of the reasons I love the MJ scene is watching some very nervous beginners grow in ability and confidence through time. I watched some formerly very shy beginners teaching a beginner revision class the other week, with an average age of pupil at least twice theirs. It was the first such experience they had of such presentation skills.

Tiggerbabe
10th-October-2007, 01:44 AM
8. :clap: share
I could always bring it with me this weekend, but then you do realise I wrote that 2 and a half years ago? :eek:

fletch
10th-October-2007, 10:17 AM
I could always bring it with me this weekend, but then you do realise I wrote that 2 and a half years ago? :eek:

do you have boots and a hat to match :waycool:

'stuff' like that never goes out of fasion..:worthy:...famous last words :rofl:

Astro
10th-October-2007, 06:59 PM
In no particular order:

1. Once you are used to partner-dancing, going to a nightclub is a weird and pointless experience.
2. And whoever invented disco has a lot to answer for.
3. There's a good dancer hidden in most people.
4. And people are generally nicer than you may think in a big city.
5. You can have a great night out, meeting lots of people, without either drinking or spending lots of money.
6. There'll always be another dance event coming up, but you only get issued with 1 back / set of knees / shoulders / other body parts, so put them first.
7. If you either take your partner dancing, or meet your partner through dancing, it saves a lot of explanations in the long run.
8. Chemistry is real, inexplicable, and wonderful.
9. But dancing is not sex.
10. Well, most of the time... :)

Have your top 10 things you have learnt from MJ changed since you posted this list two and a half years ago DJ?

#6 is very good advice.:yeah:

David Bailey
10th-October-2007, 07:46 PM
Have your top 10 things you have learnt from MJ changed since you posted this list two and a half years ago DJ?
Hmmm, good question...

I reckon these are still valid, but my list'd now be more cynical, that's what 30 months of forum membership does for you. Run, run - it's too late for me, but save yourse.... erk.

ANd yes, #6 is the only gem amongst that lot. I only wish venue managers had to dance at their venues.... :rolleyes:

dave the scaffolder
10th-October-2007, 07:57 PM
The main thing dancing has taught me is how to be more civilised to other people, (even Robd), I once had an hour conversation with a group of large dancing blokes about deodorant.

XXX XX DTS Dave

robd
11th-October-2007, 09:48 AM
(even Robd)

You love me really DTS, you ****ing ****er :flower:

Double Trouble
11th-October-2007, 12:29 PM
I dunno about 10 things, but I've learnt one thing - the MJ world is absolutely jam packed full of freaks and liars ...with just a handful of normal people.

Gus
11th-October-2007, 02:09 PM
I dunno about 10 things, but I've learnt one thing - the MJ world is absolutely jam packed full of freaks and liars ...with just a handful of normal people.Hmmm ... I used to think that the MJ world had more than its fair share of 'social inadequates' and people with 'issues' .... then I started looking more closely at the people I was working with at client sites. I don't know if its because the environments I tend to work in are more pressurised and in Financial Services ... but I think the 'wierdo' factor is just as bad in the Real World ... which logically leads to the conclusion that we're ALL MAD ... so you might as well just smile and join in the fun :D

Dreadful Scathe
11th-October-2007, 02:15 PM
But if it appears that everyone around you is mad, weird and a freak - maybe its not THEM that are the problem ;) :whistle:

Gus
11th-October-2007, 02:18 PM
But if it appears that everyone around you is mad, weird and a freak - maybe its not THEM that are the problem ;) :whistle:Aye ... I forgot the add the rider " ... YOU'RE ALL MAD .... I'M THE ONLY SANE ONE HERE!!" wibble wibble etc .... Have you any idea how hard it is to type wearing one of the 'comfortable coats' that fasten round the back?

David Bailey
11th-October-2007, 02:21 PM
Have you any idea how hard it is to type wearing one of the 'comfortable coats' that fasten round the back?
No. Definitely not. No idea at all.

Dreadful Scathe
11th-October-2007, 03:20 PM
hey didnt there used to be abusive stuff on this thread.....? :)

Gav
11th-October-2007, 03:23 PM
hey didnt there used to be abusive stuff on this thread.....? :)

If it makes you feel any better, stick it up your ***, you ****-***, *****-*******, ****. :D

Dreadful Scathe
11th-October-2007, 03:24 PM
what swear word merits a dash ? :what: :)

Gav
11th-October-2007, 03:28 PM
what swear word merits a dash ? :what: :)

****-*** & *****-******* do, obviously! :rolleyes:

Trouble
11th-October-2007, 03:40 PM
The main thing dancing has taught me is how to be more civilised to other people, (even Robd),
XXX XX DTS Dave

:rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl: I think this one needs a little more practice hun :rofl: :rofl: :rofl:

robd
11th-October-2007, 03:41 PM
I think this one needs a little more practice hun

the dancing or the being civilised? :D:devil:

Astro
11th-October-2007, 03:49 PM
ANd yes, #6 is the only gem amongst that lot. I only wish venue managers had to dance at their venues.... :rolleyes:

Agree agree agree. My latest injury being caused by the sodding floor :angry::angry::angry: at Ealing.

sodding is not a swear word is it? Too late now.

Trouble
11th-October-2007, 03:51 PM
the dancing or the being civilised? :D:devil:

his dancing is fantastic..... xxxxx

dave the scaffolder
11th-October-2007, 05:31 PM
You love me really DTS, you ****ing ****er :flower:

Good on you my lovely.

Whats a fu**ing wa**er between friends.

XXX XXX DTS Dave:grin:

robd
11th-October-2007, 06:02 PM
Whats a fu**ing wa**er between friends.

Isn't a ****ing wanker an oxymoron or a paradox maybe?

Gav
11th-October-2007, 06:07 PM

I don't see why they can't compliment each other :whistle:

dave the scaffolder
11th-October-2007, 06:07 PM

For me its a moment or two of self loving pleasure.

XX XXX DTS Dave:love:

Flat_Eric
12th-October-2007, 12:03 PM
In no particular order:(..)Anyone else want to contribute?

Lovely thread ! I can only find 7 really worth mentioning:

1- Dancing is life: you can learn about one by studying the other, and vice versa

2- Dancing is everything: an opening to the infinite, the ability to connect to the universe in an instant, with the exhilarating luxury of being able taking someone with you in the process

3- Dancing is nothing: it remains a mundane art form, and will neither achieve world peace nor solve world hunger. Not take dancing too seriously is a key to dancing well

4- Dancing is not about technique, it’s about you: forget the moves, bunk off the workshops, ditch the DVDs. I often refer to the Matrix’s “there’s no spoon” when people ask me where my dancing style comes from. It’s just who I am...

5-Dancing is a key to being and connecting the present: I’m not the same person from one day to the next, neither is the person dancing with me, neither are the people around us, the floor, the music or the DJ. The awareness that have the same dance twice is an impossible thing gives me a sense of urgency as for appreciating the very move I’m doing as I am doing it...

6- A dance is only as good as the 2 partners together: I can remember many dances with less technically able partners that had more connection and savour than impeccable rounds with floor goddesses with no feeling whatsoever

7-Dancing makes life worth living: some areas of psychology say that our life is defined by between 7 and 10 moments. At least one of these is dance related for me. I am confident that, on my deathbed, that’ll still be the case

FE

Dreadful Scathe
12th-October-2007, 12:10 PM

But the fact that it isn't entirely self-loving is kinda his point :)

Astro
12th-October-2007, 02:27 PM

XX XXX DTS Dave:love:

Get you finger out and liberate your purple suit from the dry cleaners.

(DTS has an Artistic temperament).:cheers: