PDA

View Full Version : Feet!

Lory
25th-March-2005, 12:57 AM
Feet! Not a nice subject I know but I was interested how other dancers look after theirs?

I'm doing a multiple choice, public poll to see if there's any correlation between the amount of time and money spent on feet and the general health of them. :o

My interest in this subject has had a sudden upsurge, as I've just discovered I'm loosing both my big toenails. :eek: It's not really painful but I'm worried that it might GET painful. :sick:

My doctor said there are several possible reasons for this...

1. badly fitting shoes
2. not keeping my nails short enough (which isn't the case)
3. fungal infection (that's been ruled out too)
4, over zealous cleaning and poking under the nails,
5, Too much DANCING!!!!!! :really: :tears:

I didn't think I was over zealous but according to him, it's sounds like I am. :blush:

What care do you take over you feet?

frodo
25th-March-2005, 01:14 AM
Not sure if the poll is intended to exclude men ( without being explicit about it).

I'll simply ignore the first bit of the top option - It's late or I wouldn't have voted.

Lory
25th-March-2005, 01:18 AM
Not sure if the poll is intended to exclude men

Men have feet too! :grin:

MartinHarper
25th-March-2005, 01:20 AM

I have a highly sophisticated foot health routine. In approximate order of importance:

1) No high heels (http://www.ynhh.org/healthlink/womens/womens_6_01.html)
2) Socks
3) No toenail polish
4) No tights

frodo
25th-March-2005, 01:33 AM
Men have feet too! :grin:

As you say it is relevant and may prove to be quite a helpful thread ( even for men).

I have a highly sophisticated foot health routine. In approximate order of importance:

1) No high heels

There was a widely reported study recently showing high heels no little net effect. Not sure if is was sponsored by footwear manufacturers though ( or maybe it can be easier to dance with ladies in heels ).

MartinHarper
25th-March-2005, 01:53 AM
There was a widely reported study recently showing high heels no little net effect.

There's a study showing they probably don't cause arthritis (http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/health/3143240.stm), but they're still linked to a whole lot of other health problems.

Andy McGregor
25th-March-2005, 02:26 AM
~snip~

~snip~

5, Too much DANCING!!!!!! :really: :tears:

It sounds to me like you need a second opinion. Too much dancing is an oxymoron, there's no such thing - just like the classic example, military intelligence :confused:

Find a new doctor who dances ...

Robin
25th-March-2005, 09:07 AM
Feet! Not a nice subject I know but I was interested how other dancers look after theirs?

Hey, there's no option for "My feet are absolutely b*****ed but I don't care and dance anyway"
:whistle:

Yliander
25th-March-2005, 11:41 AM
My feet are generally OK - main issue I have is that one of my big toes gets out of alignment - which can range from minor pain to excruciating pain.

These days it is generally OK - we have never managed to work out how I got it out of alignment in the first place but once the inflamation was reduced - it became a simple matter to have it put back in place.

Although in a stella example of physical incompetence - last Friday went to the OT had my toe re-aligned and on the way home stopped off at the video shop - had the over riding desire to see "shall we dance" the orginal japanese movie- managed to not quite step up the curb and half missed it slipping off it and putting my newly aligned toe out of alignment again :sick:

the only other option I could have asked for on the poll was "My feet have been so painful at times that I shouldn't have danced"

Lynn
25th-March-2005, 01:55 PM
I have never had particular problems with my feet but I do try to take some steps to look after them... (no pun intended!)

Wearing appropriate footwear - eg I don't go hiking in high heeled boots. I try to wear more comfortable shoes if going shopping (as it is hours of walking around with occasional coffee stops). If wearing high, not very comfortable shoes, make sure its when I'm not actually going to be on my feet too much (eg going out for a meal when I am sitting down).

I don't wear outdoor shoes in the house - not only keeps carpets etc cleaner, its also better for my feet -I wear comfy slippers instead. :grin:

Dancing - I carry plasters etc in case of sore feet but haven't needed them because of my most important foot related dancing rule - wear comfortable dance shoes! The difference it makes is so worth the cost!

At weekenders I vary the shoes I am wearing as even a comfy pair will be putting pressure on certain parts of my feet - so I change to another comfy pair!

I have some nice refreshing foot sprays and I sometimes take my shoes off in between workshops to freshen up my feet.

One thing I have learned - take nail polish with me... I bought lovely Freed strappy sandals at Southport last September, and realised (as I was excitedly telling everyone to look at my new shoes) that the nail varnish needed a little freshen up! :blush:

Lory, I have had toenails come off, not so nice :tears: mine was caused by my pony standing on my foot (horses will try to avoid doing that, but if they do, they aren't in any hurry to get off your foot either!)

Chicklet
25th-March-2005, 02:00 PM
I have shocking circulation so my feet are always cold and I have to sleep in socks (cotton). My (clean dry) feet get covered in 8 hour cream or fab American stuff called Miracle Foot Repair every night, dancing or not!
I rarely wore shoes until we moved here (age 14) and I feel quite uncomfortable in shoes in the house, this probably contributes to why I've never had any problems!....now where's that daud of wood for touching.....

Andreas
25th-March-2005, 03:18 PM
I usually suffer from pressure on the knuckle of the left big toe. Due to the fact that I move most of the time on toes or ball of my feet there is an awful lot of pressure. During dancing I don't really notice it but as soon as I leave the building it tends to be relatively painful at times. So I guess I am dancing too much and not lazy enough in my motion to compensate for it :D :whistle:

Scotch Bonnet
25th-March-2005, 03:37 PM
I have shocking circulation so my feet are always cold and I have to sleep in socks (cotton). My (clean dry) feet get covered in 8 hour cream or fab American stuff called Miracle Foot Repair every night, dancing or not!
I rarely wore shoes until we moved here (age 14) and I feel quite uncomfortable in shoes in the house, this probably contributes to why I've never had any problems!....now where's that daud of wood for touching.....
Hi

I'm curious,where did you come from that you rarely needed shoes until 14 ?
Also where do you buy the Miracle Foot Repair and is it expensive ?
Needing to give my 'tootsies' :o a bit more care and attention on a more regular basis,

Thanks

Liz

Little Monkey
25th-March-2005, 04:25 PM
Hi

I'm curious,where did you come from that you rarely needed shoes until 14 ?
Also where do you buy the Miracle Foot Repair and is it expensive ?

:yeah:

Please tell!

LM

Piglet
25th-March-2005, 09:42 PM
I usually suffer from pressure on the knuckle of the left big toe.

About a month ago after a party my left toe was sore and I wondered if a bunion (God forbid) was going to blossom. It seems to have been okay since (touch that daub of wood too!)

I went through a period of getting really sore feet after dancing and it took me a couple of weeks or so to realise it was the fancy socks I'd bought that looked prettier with my shoes - so the socks got the heave ho and I'm back to normal cotton socks and no probs.

I voted for the simple wash and cut option - probably the only woman who has :)

johnthehappyguy
26th-March-2005, 12:13 AM
I used to wear sensible shoes to work. usually leather brogues.

I now wear trainers to work to give my feet a rest. I try not to wear the same pair two days running.

johnthehappyguy :nice:

Clive Long
26th-March-2005, 12:41 AM
I used to wear sensible shoes to work. usually leather brogues.

There is not to be victimization of leather brogues (or their wearers) on this forum now is there?

I now wear trainers to work to give my feet a rest. I try not to wear the same pair ...

Feet or shoes dear boy?

two days running.

JohnTHG. I find that rather funny in a post on feet :grin: .

Clive

johnthehappyguy
27th-March-2005, 06:18 PM
Clive[/QUOTE]

There is not to be victimization of leather brogues (or their wearers) on this forum now is there?

Never !!!![/SIZE]

Clive- I am very much pro brogues, :drool: both Gibson, and Oxford styles :waycool: . Both have their own unique and desirable attributes. I have owned brogues of patent black and more of brown grained leather, ( sadly now gone but not forgotten ) as well as my more traditional black.

Indeed only last week I attended a Ceroc class, and was observed partially emptying my dance bag by the venue manager ( a young woman who in many other ways appears to be quite sensible, however:- ) She expressed surprise :what: , nay wonderment :eek: that I should have two pairs of black brogues with me. :waycool:

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnthehappyguy
I now wear trainers to work to give my feet a rest. I try not to wear the same pair ...

Feet or shoes dear boy?

[SIZE=2]Feet , feet feet, feet !!!!! ( yes all of mine)

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnthehappyguy
two days running.

JohnTHG. I find that rather funny in a post on feet .

No doubt Clive you will have heard of the fantastic stamina of all Scotsmen, so running constantly for 48 hours is standard fare up here - I might even try it sometime.

johnthehappyguy :nice:

Yliander
28th-March-2005, 12:02 AM
on the advice of my OT I always have golf balls in my dance bag - they are for giving my feet a little tlc.

they are great for stretching and relaxing feet pre & post dancing - place golf ball on floor rest 1 foot on golf ball and push down rolling the golf ball around the sole of your foot - repeat with other foot.

can also be used to help massage particulary nasty knots in muscles

bobgadjet
29th-March-2005, 03:00 AM
Had a lady used to come to my Line socials with 2 pairs of boots.

Half way thru the night she would take the 2nd pair out of the bag, remove the ICE BLOCKS, and slowly lower her HOT feet into the cold boots.

The block went into the HOT boots.

The look on her face showed so much extacy...... it even made ME feel good :D

Now that's looking after your feet IMO.

Sheepman
31st-March-2005, 01:32 PM
I've just discovered I'm loosing both my big toenails. :eek: It's not really painful but I'm worried that it might GET painful. :sick:

1. badly fitting shoes
2. not keeping my nails short enough (which isn't the case)
5, Too much DANCING!!!!!! :really: :tears: I used to regularly lose nails, mostly the small, and middle toes, and it was certainly down to a combination of the 3 factors I've included from your list. The other (occasional) factor is getting kicked or trodden on.
It would nearly always happen at weekenders, with 3 nights dancing to 5 or 6 a.m. and although I wouldn't describe any of my shoes as "badly fitting" there was obviously enough pressure that would over time cause damage. It would normally be a case of the persistent pressure causing a blood blister under the nail - very sore until you relesae the pressure! :sick: Then the nail comes away as the skin underneath isn't attached to anything!

The cure for me has been to make regular changes in shoes, but mostly wearing very light, soft and supple leather shoes. (They are so soft that they can be rolled up.) Also to keep the nails cut so short that it hurts!

Sorry if that's all too graphic, but maybe it will help someone.
NB My cure certainly doesn't involve dancing LESS!

Greg

bobgadjet
31st-March-2005, 02:06 PM
Sorry if that's all too graphic, but maybe it will help someone.
NB My cure certainly doesn't involve dancing LESS!

Greg
OH COME ON GUYS (and gals) this is getting really YUK. :eek::drool:

jivecat
1st-April-2005, 05:12 PM

3) No toenail polish

I can't agree with this! A foot is naked without nail polish. I certainly can't keep the stuff on my fingernails but wouldn't dream of baring a toe in summer without some nice shiny scarlet lacquer, lovingly sanded down in between coats. We need that as an option, Lory.

I've occasionally lost a toenail from things like dropping a huge plantpot on it, or walking down a very high mountain wearing too-tight boots. It's no big deal, they grow back. Tends to ruin the canvas for toenail art until they do, though.

I never had problems with my feet until I started dancing and wearing high heels. Were the two things related? Of course.
I too suffer from a, ahem, misaligned toe joint - heaven forbid it should be called a bunion! I keep it calm by wearing lower heels - no more than 1 and a half inches on my dance shoes, or even better, squashy Bloch 539s. They look bloody awful but they make me feel really grounded & balanced & full of energy. Sometimes I use Ibuprofen gel after a heavy weekend's freestyling.

Sheepman, how can you do this to yourself? It sounds almost as bad as wearing a cilice!!

Somewhere there is a thread about converting street shoes into dance shoes by sticking on a suede sole - does anyone know any more about this?

Chicklet, I would also love to know why you didn't wear shoes until you were 14, if you wouldn't mind telling. It sounds really intriguing! I love going barefoot and think it's god for the feet.

What is a daub of wood? Is it a Scottish thing?

DianaS
4th-April-2005, 02:34 PM
Feet!

My interest in this subject has had a sudden upsurge, as I've just discovered I'm loosing both my big toenails. :eek: It's not really painful but I'm worried that it might GET painful. :sick:

Sounds painful Lory :sick:
oppps

Being a total coward I well understand how you feel. My doctor diagnosed bunions and surgery with the imediate effect that I haven't been back, bought bigger shoes and won't answer letters from the consultant. I'm in stiull in hiding. Result: Bunions have stopped hurting so problem solved for a while.
If any one has a cure for bunions that doen't invlove a hammer, chissel or electric saw or any other form of surgery that may cause pain I'd love to hear from you :flower:
HEELPP

Sheepman
4th-April-2005, 04:16 PM
Sheepman, how can you do this to yourself? It sounds almost as bad as wearing a cilice!! I presume you mean this
very sore until you release the pressure! I'd much rather do it myself than have the hospital treatment I've had described, i.e. heating a straightened paperclip under a flame, to sterilise it, and, err, get it HOT, then plunge it, burning through the nail, to release the pressure behind!

So what is a cilice? I hope I've never worn one :confused:

Greg

Lory
4th-April-2005, 04:45 PM
I heating a straightened paperclip under a flame, to sterilise it, and, err, get it HOT, then plunge it, burning through the nail, to release the pressure behind!

I've seen this done and can recommend that if your spectating, you stand well back! :eek:

DianaS
4th-April-2005, 04:54 PM
[QUOTE=jivecat]

Somewhere there is a thread about converting street shoes into dance shoes by sticking on a suede sole - does anyone know any more about this?
QUOTE]

Hi Jivecat
My mate does it. From what he said he buys shoes with a fine tread, sands off the tread with a belt sander and buys shoe suede which a shoe fitting guy then sticks on. The glue you can't buy now becuase its toxic

has any one tried it?
D

jivecat
4th-April-2005, 06:44 PM
If any one has a cure for bunions that doen't invlove a hammer, chissel or electric saw or any other form of surgery that may cause pain I'd love to hear from you :flower:
HEELPP

Gosh, your doctor's keen. Mine just ticked me off for wearing high heels and said that surgery was an option but could easily turn out to be unsatisfactory. Leicestershire Health Authority must be poorer than the W.Mids. Seeing as it would involve, probably, a month in plaster followed by several months hobbling about, possibly for no real gain, I think I'd prefer to suffer for a bit longer.

jivecat
4th-April-2005, 06:53 PM
I presume you mean this I'd much rather do it myself than have the hospital treatment I've had described, i.e. heating a straightened paperclip under a flame, to sterilise it, and, err, get it HOT, then plunge it, burning through the nail, to release the pressure behind!

So what is a cilice? I hope I've never worn one :confused:

Greg

You need to read The Da Vinci Code. It's a device for mortification of the flesh, a metal band with spikes on the inner surface, which is worn around the thigh, and apparently helps to focus one's mind on spiritual matters. I'm not suggesting you wear one but but was horrified and fascinated by your capacity for self-inflicted torture!
I've heard a rumour that a senior cabinet member wears one, which surely can't be true??!! :really: Someone on the forum is bound to know the truth!

El Salsero Gringo
5th-April-2005, 08:27 AM
The glue you can't buy now becuase its toxic.
You can buy glue suitable for leather from lots of places, just not from high-street shops any more. Basically you need the *old* UHU, the solvent based stuff. If anyone wants a source, PM me and I'll let you know where to get it.

DianaS
5th-April-2005, 09:05 AM
Gosh, your doctor's keen. Mine just ticked me off for wearing high heels and said that surgery was an option but could easily turn out to be unsatisfactory. Leicestershire Health Authority must be poorer than the W.Mids. Seeing as it would involve, probably, a month in plaster followed by several months hobbling about, possibly for no real gain, I think I'd prefer to suffer for a bit longer.
Hmmm one of my friends who is a doctor and dancer suggested I held off as long as possible its very painful suyrgery and the results sometimes disapponting. THe idea is that I hide out for a s long as possible :rofl:
Your doctor should know its nothing to do with high heels bunions are genetic! Fi Shame on Him/ her!! :mad:

jivecat
5th-April-2005, 10:08 AM
Hmmm one of my friends who is a doctor and dancer suggested I held off as long as possible its very painful suyrgery and the results sometimes disapponting. THe idea is that I hide out for a s long as possible :rofl:
Your doctor should know its nothing to do with high heels bunions are genetic! Fi Shame on Him/ her!! :mad:

I googled it, hastily skipped the bits about shaving the bones, to find that it would mean 6-8 weeks on crutches or in a wheelchair if both feet were done at once.
Yep, my mother has them, but she's worn silly shoes all her life, whereas I have spent most of my time (pre-Ceroc) wearing flat lace-ups! So I'm particularly annoyed, I might as well have staggered around in 6" f***-me stilettoes all these years!

DianaS
5th-April-2005, 10:39 AM
I googled it, hastily skipped the bits about shaving the bones, to find that it would mean 6-8 weeks on crutches or in a wheelchair if both feet were done at once.
Yep, my mother has them, but she's worn silly shoes all her life, whereas I have spent most of my time (pre-Ceroc) wearing flat lace-ups! So I'm particularly annoyed, I might as well have staggered around in 6" f***-me stilettoes all these years!
Waste of youth that was :devil:

jivecat
5th-April-2005, 10:51 AM
Waste of youth that was :devil:

Whaddya mean?? I thought youth lasted until at least, um, er, say, 55 these days!

stewart38
5th-April-2005, 11:47 AM
I find after a long weekender with dancing till 5am some nites its painful to walk on my feet , particulary on the monday morning, but that goes in a few hrs and one can dance by the evening if they want :sick:

DianaS
29th-September-2005, 12:28 PM
I came out of hiding on Monday and saw the consultant. Apparently they aren't bunions but the result of "roll together "where my weight goes through the big toe rather than being dispersed across the foot. Very common and thre is a simple remedy to stop it progressing. Wish I'd seen him earlier as it could have prevented more damage. It did look like a bunion though but its name is an exstosis or osteoarthritis around the joint.
Its well worth checking these painful swellings out! Fortunately mine stopped hurting months ago :cheers:

Icey
29th-September-2005, 01:41 PM

I found the soles on my character shoes were getting a bit knackered so I got suede soles to put onto them. My Dad used industrial leather glue so they won't be coming off, ever. The new soles are fabulous and very, very spinny. I can throughly recommend it.

Rhythm King
29th-September-2005, 02:08 PM
You need to read The Da Vinci Code. It's a device for mortification of the flesh, a metal band with spikes on the inner surface, which is worn around the thigh, and apparently helps to focus one's mind on spiritual matters. I'm not suggesting you wear one but but was horrified and fascinated by your capacity for self-inflicted torture!
I've heard a rumour that a senior cabinet member wears one, which surely can't be true??!! :really: Someone on the forum is bound to know the truth!
Ruth Kelly, the Education minister is a member of Opus Dei, the Catholic sect which wears these things, but there is no evidence to suggest she does.

Minnie M
29th-September-2005, 02:20 PM
As I can't keep my 'pains' to myself :blush: my friends all know that for the past 8 months I have been suffering with Plantar Fasciitis (http://heelspurs.com/index.html),(aka Heel Spur or Policemens Foot) which I have found is reasonably common amongst dancers

After waiting 6 months for an appointment I am off to the Pediatrist today (3pm appointment) BTW it is getting better now. I am one of the lucky ones, from other sufferers I have spoken to it can last up to TWO YEARS :tears:

My advice to those who wish to avoid it, keep your weight in check, change shoes regularly (for ladies change the height of the heels too), avoid too much driving and too much standing, avoid wearing Jazz boots/shoes ALL the time and try and do some foot/leg excersizes

Gotta go, be late for this appointment :eek: