PDA

View Full Version : Deciphering dance diagrams ?

johnthehappyguy
17th-March-2005, 06:18 PM
I have been writing up some of the moves I have learned in class that I especially like. ( otherwise I can't remember them )

It takes me a long time, words are not enough and I do sketches as well.

Having tried to develop my own shorthand sketches, ( not very successfully ) I thought why re-invent the wheel ?

I have seen moves described on-line, using diagrams, but I have not been able to decipher them well.

Can any forumites direct me as to where I can learn the language and learn to use these diagrams myself ?

Any similar advice would also be welcome.

thanks

johnthehappyguy :nice:

Dance Demon
17th-March-2005, 07:10 PM
Try This (www.jiveoholic.org.uk)

David Bailey
17th-March-2005, 08:02 PM
There are dozens of sites with these resources - diagrams, cartoons, vids, you name it. But you may still be better off developing your own shorthand / "library", as at least you know how you think and what you mean when you say "MLH to FRH / pass FLS" or whatever. Plus, if you write down the ones you know, at least you know that you know them :)
Most guys tend to write moves down as aide-memoirs, nothing wrong with that.; like any skill, you need to do your homework, and it's a good habit to get into - then when you see a new move done by someone else, you can remember it.

spindr
17th-March-2005, 09:09 PM
Well my take on "aerial" diagrams is at http://www.afterfive.co.uk/guide/latest/html/guide_notation.html

When I write stuff down I tend to use upper case for the guy, lower case for the lady and write the hands on top first, e.g.

Lr = left to right
LlRr = left to left over right to right
RrLl = right to right over left to left
etc.

If you really want to be descriptive, then it helps to write what seems really obvious at the time, but may not seem so later on

Compare: "a lady turn" is a useful note, "an acw (anticlockwise) lady turn" is a bit clearer, "a 360 degree acw (anticlockwise) lady turn" is a bit clearer, "a 360 degree acw (anticlockwise) lady turn under the Lr hands" is even clearer, etc.

Cheers,
SpinDr.

Yogi_Bear
17th-March-2005, 09:10 PM
I would suggest developing whatever technique you find yourself comfortable with. The main thing is to establish right and left hand holds, and whether turns or spins are clockwise or anticlockwise. I also recommend noting where you both end up facing, at least at the start and the end of moves - using the points of the compass can help. The secret is to write things up in such a way that it willl make sense if you read it again in a few months' time. And if you can, write as much as possible about your partner's stepsd as well as your own....

Gadget
17th-March-2005, 10:16 PM
Personally, I doodle allong with the writing: arrows, and curves describing motions.

johnthehappyguy
23rd-March-2005, 10:51 PM
Thanks very much everyone, especially Spin Dr.

All of the posts were useful for me

:cheers:

johnthehappyguy :nice:

jiveoholic
24th-March-2005, 09:24 AM
One last thing.......don't assume anything is obvious when you write notes. The fact that a turn is obviously clockwise at some point, is never obvious later on when you are trying to fathom it out. I tend to use the format that describes the joint position, then the motion...to get to...a description of the next joint position.

You will find in jive that partners are rickoshayed (sorry about the spelling) from one semi-stable position (opposite forces applying) to another...eg starting from the semi-stable position after stepping back...before the elastic hands bring you back together again into the next contortion!

Yogi_Bear
29th-March-2005, 08:20 AM
You will find in jive that partners are rickoshayed (sorry about the spelling) So you should be! :D