PDA

View Full Version : Aberdeen Dips and Drops W/Shop

Lorna
16th-March-2005, 12:48 PM
Hi Guys,

would just like to let you know that I will be running a dips and drops w/shop this Sunday in Aberdeen. Numbers are pretty much balanced at present but would be happy to take more couples. Would be great to see some of you there. Will let you know the venue later when I have it confirmed from Linda.

If you want to book, pm me and will take it from there. Or, if you would prefer, get in touch with Franck and he will add you to my list. Bill from Aberdeen will be my demo for the day.

Hope to see you there,

Lotsa love Lorna x-x

Piglet
16th-March-2005, 01:57 PM
Good to know it's still on Lorna!

I'm hoping my cold will be much better for it and the Saturday night party!

See you then (cross fingers)

Pamela :hug:

Lorna
16th-March-2005, 02:07 PM
Hi,

was wondering where you were last night. Hope you feel better soon. :nice:

The venue has been confirmed. It will be at The Rainbow Dance Studios, Hutcheon St, off George St, Abeerdeen.

10.30 - 3.30pm.

I believe that I also have 2 couples from Glasgow and 1 man from Dundee booked so I really could only take another 2 couples at the most. Let me know asap if interested.

Lotsa love Lorna x-x

Piglet
21st-March-2005, 09:10 AM
Thank you very very much Lorna and Bill for a terrific workshop!

Can't wait to try out the moves again to see how much I've taken in, but a thoroughly enjoyable day!

Pamela :flower: :flower: :hug: :hug: :flower: :flower:

Lorna
21st-March-2005, 09:22 AM
Morning,

Oooo, feeling a bit sore this morning. :grin:

Thanks to all who attended, I had a great day.

Big thanks also to Bill who did an excellent job of dropping me all day. Hope you're not suffering too much? :worthy:

Great also to see people up from Perth, Dundee and Glasgow.

Lotsa love Lorna x-x

Bill
21st-March-2005, 10:15 AM
Thank you very very much Lorna and Bill for a terrific workshop!

Can't wait to try out the moves again to see how much I've taken in, but a thoroughly enjoyable day!

Pamela :flower: :flower: :hug: :hug: :flower: :flower:

I hope everyone survived intact !! :whistle: My legs and arms don't feel nearly as bad as I htought they might !! Hopefully the men wil lead the moves when the floor's a bit quiet !! :whistle:

Piglet
21st-March-2005, 01:16 PM
My right thigh knows its been working!!

Did wonder about asking for another workshop so I could exercise my left thigh instead :whistle: but if I'm clever (and I'm not) then I just have to try swapping my legs over in the dip/drop role!

It's a nice feeling to know I worked hard though and I think I will be more aware of the busy dance floor not equalling moves of a dip/drop nature, from both yesterday's course and an "almost" incident on Saturday night!

TheTramp
21st-March-2005, 02:46 PM
It's a nice feeling to know I worked hard though and I think I will be more aware of the busy dance floor not equalling moves of a dip/drop nature, from both yesterday's course and an "almost" incident on Saturday night!
I witnessed said incident (assuming that it was the 'gentleman' trying to teach you the nosebleed (I think that Ceroc give it some other name - the Wurlitzer wrap in forward lean drop - or something similar!!) on a busy dancefloor on Saturday night).

I was on the verge of interrupting, and telling him what I thought of people who tried to do that move (let alone teach it to someone who doesn't know what they are doing) on a busy dancefloor, when he gave up.

But I had a quiet word with Lisa, and both of us were watching him for a similar occasion the rest of the night....

JoC
21st-March-2005, 03:30 PM
Thanks Lorna and Bill for a brilliant workshop yesterday, well worth the drive through the fog! I don't seem to be aching much either, is the pain waiting until tomorrow perhaps...? (Must have been the excellent technique you were teaching us.) Not sure when the next chance to practice will be but if a nice quiet space appears on the dance floor later on tonight, who knows...

Never got round to posting thanks for the Glasgow workshop, so thanks Lorna! (Think I ached more after all those pretzels...)

This is my first post!

Piglet
21st-March-2005, 04:17 PM
Hi Jo,

It was nice meeting you yesterday and hopefully I will bump into you again soon. Sorry there wasn't really much time for talking - but glad you enjoyed yesterday and...

welcome to the forum!

Pamela :flower:

Piglet
21st-March-2005, 04:23 PM
I witnessed said incident (assuming that it was the 'gentleman' trying to teach you the nosebleed.

Yep Steve, that was the one that I was talking about.

It got me to thinking that I should just say NO when someone mentions trying a tricky move - I always assume it must be something straightforward since the guy is suggesting he "teach" me it.

I've got to laugh at that example because we obviously were not speaking the same language!

Majorly appreciate your help and concern! :kiss: :cheers: :kiss:

drathzel
21st-March-2005, 04:52 PM
Yep Steve, that was the one that I was talking about.

It got me to thinking that I should just say NO when someone mentions trying a tricky move - I always assume it must be something straightforward since the guy is suggesting he "teach" me it.

:yeah: I learned that one when someone put me into a wierd type of jump and nearly ripped my arm out of my socket. I had a sore shoulder for ages afterwards. he suggested i try to learn it with hem...he got a resounding NO!!!!!

:hug:

JoC
21st-March-2005, 06:37 PM
Thanks Pamela, I'm sure you will bump into me again soon! I do like to try and get around, if I can say that, the different venues. Beach Ballroom next possibly...?

Piglet
21st-March-2005, 07:11 PM
The Beach Ballroom is fantastic! You must try to come up if you can - also the Championships in Musselburgh shouldn't be missed! And the BFG was darned good too - in fact, I can't think of a bad ceroc night out!! :D

Piglet
21st-March-2005, 07:14 PM
:yeah: I learned that one when someone put me into a wierd type of jump and nearly ripped my arm out of my socket. I had a sore shoulder for ages afterwards. he suggested i try to learn it with hem...he got a resounding NO!!!!!

:hug:

Ouch! Ouch! Ouch! :tears: Glad I've escaped learning the hard way! Why do some people do these crazy things?

drathzel
22nd-March-2005, 12:28 AM
Ouch! Ouch! Ouch! :tears: Glad I've escaped learning the hard way! Why do some people do these crazy things?

yeah... not nice! Some people get hold of a dancer and think, mmm lets see how much i can catch them out and they tend to throw in lots of dips etc! Hence the ouch factor! I'll know who to dance with again tho and who not too!

Thats why i am in full support that dips and drops should be taught in workshops! :hug:

Bill
22nd-March-2005, 01:07 PM
Thanks Lorna and Bill for a brilliant workshop yesterday, well worth the drive through the fog! I don't seem to be aching much either, is the pain waiting until tomorrow perhaps...? (Must have been the excellent technique you were teaching us.) Not sure when the next chance to practice will be but if a nice quiet space appears on the dance floor later on tonight, who knows...

This is my first post!

Welcome to the forum then Jo and glad you enjoyed the workshop and that you managed to get home safely. If you get back to Aberden then I'll try and remember a couple of the drops although I don't usually do many as the floor is often too crowded. Hope oyu can try them out with someone though !

:grin:

JoC
24th-March-2005, 02:25 PM
On the subject of dips/drops, there's one I'd like to learn properly that we didn't do on the workshop (didn't remember about it until the end when everyone was kinda tired out...). Two different people have tried this move on me and I haven't a clue what I should be doing. Trouble is I don't know what it's called and I'm having difficulty describing it, if I try and describe what I mean here would anyone be able to enlighten me...? Then I'll find me someone to ask nicely how it's done properly...

So in this move, it seems to me that I get dipped initially back over the mans left knee but with the mans side or back to me, don't think there are any hand holds or arm links involved, after I have flailed about then been returned to the vertical position, the same thing happens on the mans right side. Any ideas...? Or have I just imagined the whole thing!?

Any assistance gratefully received!

Lorna
24th-March-2005, 03:03 PM
Hi Jo,

think I know which one you're describing.

It's called the 'Butterfly Backbreaker'.

I don't particularily enjoy this move. I never feel comfortable in this position. But then I have never really practised this move properly with anyone.

Bit concerned that this guy tried to put you into this move in freestyle unless of course you have danced with him often. Very difficult move to lead in freestyle and complete comfortably. Perhaps tell him to take you to the side and have a go before dancing it on the dancefloor.

Lotsa love Lorna x-x

John S
24th-March-2005, 03:11 PM
Can't say I recognise the move (but then I've not been a big fan of dips'n'drops since I got a hernia from a lady dropping to floor level unexpectedly on her well-padded behind and expecting me to support her :eek: :eek: )

And I don't think most freestyle nights are the places for drop-type moves, especially if the lady isn't expecting it and/or doesn't know the move - much too dangerous.

But maybe if you asked the guy(s) who did that move with you to show you what they expect, they might be happy to help - especially if it avoids the "flailing about" you so graphically describe!

JoC
24th-March-2005, 06:31 PM
I never feel comfortable in this position. But then I have never really practised this move properly with anyone.

Bit concerned that this guy tried to put you into this move in freestyle unless of course you have danced with him often. Very difficult move to lead in freestyle and complete comfortably. Perhaps tell him to take you to the side and have a go before dancing it on the dancefloor.

I wasn't erm... very comfortable either!

I've had two experiences of this move, (of all the dips in all the world) the first, after only about 6 weeks of dancing, I thought my partner realised I was a beginner and couldn't believe it when, after a very ungainly attempt on one side, the same thing happened on the other side!!!

The second time my partner was considerate enough to ask if I'd like to try, (I'm always happy to try...) I just didn't have a clue what to do.

Not sure I'll want to be doing the butterfly backbreaker all over the place but I would like to know how to survive, and maintain a little elegance, as for some reason I seem to give off 'please butterfly backbreak' me signals unknowingly... who knows, maybe I'll love it when I can do it!

Thanks Lorna! I'll go seek someone who knows the ways.

(Hey where's everyone gone?!)