PDA

View Full Version : The first time I lead a backhander, it was:

MartinHarper
14th-March-2005, 12:14 AM
Pretzels and backhanders (to give just two examples of moves I've seen executed particularly graunchingly by clueless blokes that think they're doing well), can be led, strangely enough, without dislocation.

Can anyone else remember the first time they lead a backhander or pretzel in freestyle?
It was pretty graunching for me.
Was it graunching for you?

El Salsero Gringo
14th-March-2005, 01:50 AM
I don't remember the first time doing a Back-hander, but I do remember in my first month of Ceroc nearly dislocating my partner's arm doing the Step-across. I think the experience taught me the very useful principle that if you feel unexpected resistance during the execution of a move, for goodness sakes stop pulling...

ChrisA
14th-March-2005, 09:35 AM
Can anyone else remember the first time they led a backhander or pretzel in freestyle?
It was pretty graunching for me.

Now that is an achievement.

Normally it's only graunching for the ladies when guys do it badly :D

David Bailey
14th-March-2005, 11:19 AM
"Graunching" - that's a new word I've learned, who said these forums weren't educational :nice: . Very appropriate, though.

I don't mind the Pretzel - you can lead it gently, and to your own pace, although I think it's a bit boring, to be honest - kind of a filler move.
As for the Backhander, I don't think I ever use this now, it's just so fast and potentially uncomfortable, I can't see it being a pleasant move for the follower to do, although I'll admit it does look good if done well. Maybe that's it, it's more an exhibition-type move...
The Windmill is another move that I find awkward - maybe I'm just not limber enough :sad:

Gadget
14th-March-2005, 02:16 PM
The first time I lead a similar move, it was a long (long) time ago and was in the form of a Half-windmill. And in freestyle immediatly invented the 'reverse half-windmill' because I couldn't think on any L-L moves! Went fairly well as I remember, no pain, no injury, no aquardness, no "Graunching".

Pretzels I never like the entrance into (I don't like using signals - sort of "cheating" to my mentality *shrug*) So as soon as I discovered other ways into it, not a problem.

I think that the main problem lies in that the leads don't move: they expect to do all the move rooted to the spot, or if they do move, it's only as an after-thought and not in sync with their hand/arm movements. That and trying to drag a lady through the move rather than leading it. Sure recipe for "Graunching".

The worst offender IMHO is/are tunnels: so easy to do badly, so hard to do smoothly.

drathzel
14th-March-2005, 02:40 PM
"Graunching" - that's a new word I've learned, who said these forums weren't educational :nice: . Very appropriate, though.

:yeah: the sound of metal on metal! a bit like grinding :hug:

David Bailey
14th-March-2005, 03:06 PM
The worst offender IMHO is/are tunnels: so easy to do badly, so hard to do smoothly.

:yeah:
God, yes - I'm not sure if I've ever seen a tunnel done well. Strangely enough, I've seen them taught (and done better) in salsa though, probably something to do with the timing.

Is there a Hall Of Shame for these horrible moves? If not, there should be...

RobC
14th-March-2005, 06:22 PM
The first time I lead a similar move, it was a long (long) time ago and was in the form of a Half-windmill. And in freestyle immediatly invented the 'reverse half-windmill' because I couldn't think on any L-L moves!
:confused: :confused: L - L :confused: :confused:

When doing a windmill of any kind (half, 3 quarters or full), you should be changing the ladies right hand between your left & right. If you ended up with the ladies LEFT hand, something went wrong. ;)

Whitebeard
14th-March-2005, 09:47 PM
'

..... the sound of metal on metal! a bit like grinding .....
Talking of which. Seen in the supermarket car park, awnly t'other day tha knaws, a truck proudly displaying in elegant signwriting on its rear end the legend ....

"Balls' Grinding"

Tradesmens' humour ?? Good for business ???

Andreas
15th-March-2005, 12:26 AM
My first backhander was pretty wobbly. As for now, I love the move, not sure if that is for its speed or the fact that there are quite a few possible variations but merging a couple of them into one move is excitiing and a welcome challenge to lead :D

Pretzel is a nice move and I like it when I manage to go through it fast and smoothly. When I learnt it I kind of lacked the comprehension for a short while and that made it awkward.

:cheers:

Gadget
15th-March-2005, 01:04 AM
If you ended up with the ladies LEFT hand, something went wrong. ;)
Maybe that's why I couldn't think on a move! :rofl:

:blush: yea,yea, yea... I swear I'm going to get an R and L tatooed on the back of my hands for quick reference. :blush:

Andy McGregor
15th-March-2005, 01:27 AM
[yawn]
Is this another of those Ladies LH to Guys Rh. turn and face, step to the right, raise your left hand to turn the lady anti-clockwise, lower your hand and step back threads?

Thought so ...

If you want to learn how to dance, go to dance lessons :whistle:

I hear Ceroc Scotland are very good and non-smoking too :clap:

And some (but very few) of the English Ceroc classes are non-smoking too - 'phone first to make sure.

Andy

p.s. Hijack. Moi?

ChrisA
15th-March-2005, 11:40 AM
[yawn]
Is this another of those Ladies LH to Guys Rh. turn and face, step to the right, raise your left hand to turn the lady anti-clockwise, lower your hand and step back threads?

Of course it isn't.

The posts on it are way too short for it to qualify as one of those...

Lou
15th-March-2005, 12:03 PM
raise your left hand to turn the lady anti-clockwise, lower your hand and step back

I don't know why, but that sounds strangely familiar.....

CJ
15th-March-2005, 01:06 PM
Of course it isn't.

The posts on it are way too short for it to qualify as one of those...

Well, you take your left hand and offer it at shoulder level. This should put off just enough beginners and disconcert enough intermediates. Legends will have seen you coming and refused the dance!!

Taking the ladies right hand, step to her side, doesn't matter really which side as the move is pants anyway: and if you have to read this, then guarenteed the move is a fcuk up already. Once you have stepped to the side, yank ladies right hand, unless you were fortunate enough to get BOTH hands, as quickly, frocefully and sharply as possible in what you think will be the most uncomfortable and problematic direction possible: always ensuring you pull her off balance as you spin her.

Grab hold of random hand with a random hand, slip her right into your left as you stir her into a return and smile sweetly as you both step back.

Does this help ensure this thread qualifies?!? :D

ChrisA
15th-March-2005, 08:00 PM
Does this help ensure this thread qualifies?!? :D
Nope.

It was long enough, but there weren't enough spelling mistakes :devil:

Gadget
16th-March-2005, 12:47 AM
oh, so it has to be a long post form me to count then? :rolleyes: