PDA

View Full Version : Modern jive name

Swinging bee
11th-March-2005, 01:57 PM
Imagine that the modern jive scene had not started (sounds awful) and you came upon a dance near to where you live that closely resembled what we do today ...No one knew what it was called . It was just something that had always been done..What do you suppose you would call it....? bear in mind your location. nationality, language, etc etc ....

David Bailey
11th-March-2005, 02:15 PM
"Jumping and spinning around with a partner to pop music"? :)
Hmmm, doesn't have much of a ring to it...

As a UK-er, for there to be no MJ, you'd have to assume no Mr Cronin, at least for the UK scene, then if you go to France you could still see Le Roc being done in a club I suppose.

I guess it'd still be called something "jive" / "swing" -like though, though, it's so clearly related to ballroom jive - e.g. "New Jive", "Pop Swing", "Dance Jive"... Hey, I should be in marketing.

Andy McGregor
11th-March-2005, 03:02 PM
IMHO we need two names. There seem to be 2 definite styles emerging in MJ. There's the English Ceroc style which has a bouncy hand, big stepback to give straight arms and a big distance between partners that's danced in giant circles to standard pop music in smoke-filled rooms and there's the more latin styled dance where the couples are closer together, more often in a ballroom hold and dance in a slot to an eclectic mix of music.

So, I name the first style - SmokeRoc :whistle:

And the second style - HipsteRoc :devil:

Swinging bee
11th-March-2005, 04:14 PM
How about lindybug , or jitterhop,

David Bailey
11th-March-2005, 04:58 PM
SpinaRoc and WiggleRoc?

Bill
11th-March-2005, 05:21 PM
IMHO we need two names. There seem to be 2 definite styles emerging in MJ. There's the English Ceroc style
So does that mean we have a distinctive Scottish style ??? And perhaps a different Welsh style?? Irish? Surely you didn't mean UK :rolleyes: :whistle:

Minnie M
11th-March-2005, 05:31 PM
Imagine that the modern jive scene had not started (sounds awful) and you came upon a dance near to where you live that closely resembled what we do today ...No one knew what it was called . It was just something that had always been done..What do you suppose you would call it....? bear in mind your location. nationality, language, etc etc ....

dance ................Jive
language..............English
nationality............Brittish
location...............Sussex

Anyone want to JEBS :whistle:

or : BESJIVE

Andy McGregor
11th-March-2005, 06:33 PM
[QUOTE=Andy McGregor] So does that mean we have a distinctive Scottish style ??? And perhaps a different Welsh style?? Irish? Surely you didn't mean UK :rolleyes: :whistle:I was very specific because every Scot I've danced with dances HipsteRoc. And the Ceroc Scotland venues are non-smoking too :clap:

Gadget
11th-March-2005, 09:27 PM
To me, it's just "dancing". {Possably "partner dancing"} MJ/i] is just a tag so people know what you're talking about and don't ask "what [i]type of dancing?" Type? Music is playing. I have a partner. I am dancing.

Bangers & Mash
11th-March-2005, 10:39 PM
Holland - moderne jive :waycool: