PDA

View Full Version : Let's have a second-hand book fair ???

Wendy
10th-March-2005, 11:32 AM
Only just noticed we had a book club !!!!

I am planning to get rid of a lot of books and wondered if anyone else wanted to help out running a book fair or if they had books to sell. I always feel charity shops have tattered old mags and second-hand book shops give you pennies for perfectly good books....

Thought we could hire a big hall for the day, cover our costs and give the profit to charity... maybe even have a craft bit too (bet Emma's cards would sell well :flower: )....hey we could even have a party at night !!!!

Any comments/ideas welcome !!! Anyone done this kind of thing before ???

Wx

Aleks
10th-March-2005, 11:38 AM
Fantastic idea!

azande - you can go only if you stick to the shoes rule you laid out for me: one book out, one book in, preferably in that order!

Wendy
10th-March-2005, 11:43 AM
But what if Azande made you have a second-hand shoe sale !!!!! :rofl:

Wx

Wendy
10th-March-2005, 11:46 AM
... or second-foot shoe sale .... :confused: :rofl:

Wx

azande
10th-March-2005, 11:49 AM
Fantastic idea!

azande - you can go only if you stick to the shoes rule you laid out for me: one book out, one book in, preferably in that order!
:sad: I might be prepared to do one book in, one book out. :sad:

Wendy
10th-March-2005, 12:02 PM
and at THAT rate, our book fair would get into the Guiness book of records !!! :sick:

What about a shoe AND book sale ???? I feel this is losing its focus already.... I should have known :tears: :wink: Craft, art, book, healing, dance and shoe fair ?? Bet it's never been done !!!! :rofl:

Wx

drathzel
10th-March-2005, 03:08 PM
Only just noticed we had a book club !!!!

I am planning to get rid of a lot of books and wondered if anyone else wanted to help out running a book fair or if they had books to sell. I always feel charity shops have tattered old mags and second-hand book shops give you pennies for perfectly good books....

Thought we could hire a big hall for the day, cover our costs and give the profit to charity... maybe even have a craft bit too (bet Emma's cards would sell well :flower: )....hey we could even have a party at night !!!!

Any comments/ideas welcome !!! Anyone done this kind of thing before ???

Wx

Completely!! Count me in! We could do like a car boot thing only indoors! It would be good to raise money for charity plus it would be lots of advertisment for ceroc!! (we might even get some more men coming along)

Fab idea Wendy! :hug:

Wendy
10th-March-2005, 04:18 PM
Completely!! Count me in! We could do like a car boot thing only indoors! It would be good to raise money for charity plus it would be lots of advertisment for ceroc!! Thanks !!!! I hadn't necessarily thought of it as a CEROC thing......was just thinking that a group of us could get together and do something for a good cause ... there must be loads of people out there with great ideas and hidden talents (well we know they can dance !!!) and old books that simply gather dust...

Wx

Little Monkey
14th-March-2005, 07:35 PM
:sad: I might be prepared to do one book in, one book out. :sad:
:yeah:

Can't just SELL books!! I'll trade all the books that I've got that I don't like for new ones!! :D

Can't live without books.................... :drool:

LM

John S
15th-March-2005, 01:26 PM
If this does go ahead, to make it worthwhile you really do need an enormous number of books and a cheap way of reaching the public - local gala days are quite good, as you won't pay much (if anything) for a stall and you're reasonably assured of a crowd - especially if Wendy is going to dance for them. Otherwise, if you have to pay rent and all the other costs of transport involved it would probably be cheaper just to give all the books to Little Monkey.

Alternatively, we could have a swap shop - list all the books we plan to get rid of, and then see what others have to offer. For example, I'm happy to throw in my well-thumbed copy of the "Kama Sutra", or perhaps even "Brechin City FC - The Wilderness Years (1890 - 2005)".

Little Monkey
15th-March-2005, 05:02 PM
Otherwise, if you have to pay rent and all the other costs of transport involved it would probably be cheaper just to give all the books to Little Monkey.

:yeah: Now that sounds like a plan!!

Alternatively, we could have a swap shop - list all the books we plan to get rid of, and then see what others have to offer. For example, I'm happy to throw in my well-thumbed copy of the "Kama Sutra", or perhaps even "Brechin City FC - The Wilderness Years (1890 - 2005)".

:rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl:

Good idea until I saw your list of books! Now I'm scared! :eek:

LM

Wendy
16th-March-2005, 12:12 AM
Extras from Planet of the Apes and distinguished and discerning mature gentlemen types.. I might have known !!!! :sick: :flower:

Some good comments John, thank you.

I was thinking 500 cerocers 5 books each... 12 volunteers... a van...nowhere close.. might have a look at that Kama Sutra book though.. maybe make up a new mj move .. you know "man puts leg round lady's neck" kind of thing :rofl:

Wx

CJ
16th-March-2005, 12:34 PM
Have van, will travel.

Wendy
17th-March-2005, 11:52 AM
Thank you CJ !!!! Hope you 're not just using that as a ploy to get your hands on John's copy of the Kama Sutra though ... research for your 2005 version "The Kama Sutra revisited - in a kilt" ...swoon....

Well I reckon I have about at least 50 books to sell and I've made some enquiries about hiring a hall... so watch this space !!!

If anyone else has any ideas on how to go about this then please share them !!!!

Wx

drathzel
17th-March-2005, 03:02 PM
Thank you CJ !!!! Hope you 're not just using that as a ploy to get your hands on John's copy of the Kama Sutra though ... research for your 2005 version "The Kama Sutra revisited - in a kilt" ...swoon....

Well I reckon I have about at least 50 books to sell and I've made some enquiries about hiring a hall... so watch this space !!!

If anyone else has any ideas on how to go about this then please share them !!!!

Wx

I reckon i have about 25 books to sell! so count me in!

DX :hug:

azande
17th-March-2005, 03:19 PM
I reckon i have about 25 books to sell! so count me in!

DX :hug:
I reckon I could buy at least half a dozen! :wink:

CJ
17th-March-2005, 03:57 PM
Question for "Bookies"

We have record fairs for collectors of music: is there a literary equivalent?? Is it possible to just have a stall there? Would the books be interesting enough?

Am raiding book collection today....

John S
18th-March-2005, 02:38 PM
Just a thought - any chance of combining the book sale with a Ceroc busk, eg in an indoor shopping centre?

EG I think Franck is planning a busk in early April to publicise the new Dundee venue - may not be enough notice to plan it and get permission, but maybe worth a thought for somewhere else later?

I've certainly got books I could contribute - any ideas for the charity the money would go to (eg The John S Retirement Home for Aged Taxi Dancers?).

Little Monkey
22nd-March-2005, 08:20 PM
I reckon I could buy at least half a dozen! :wink:

Half a dozen??? Couple of carrier bags full and a new bookshelf for me, please!!! :D :rofl:

LM

Little Monkey
22nd-March-2005, 08:22 PM
I've certainly got books I could contribute - any ideas for the charity the money would go to (eg The John S Retirement Home for Aged Taxi Dancers?).

How about a charity for Little Monkies? Or perhaps one for poor starving Norwegian potters?? :whistle: :whistle:

LM

drathzel
22nd-March-2005, 08:24 PM
So whats the latest update on the Book fair wendy? and what else are we going to sell!

:hug:

John S
23rd-March-2005, 02:03 PM
So whats the latest update on the Book fair wendy?
Wendy's dark. :)

drathzel
23rd-March-2005, 02:13 PM
Wendy's dark. :)
Ah but in the sense i used it wendy is fair :hug:

Wendy
28th-March-2005, 04:43 PM
I like to think I'm dark yet fair and firm yet gentle... talking about my backleading of course... :innocent:

It's been on hold....Let's get together ....what about at the party on the 30th at the GUU.. (the one where Robert does things for charity :drool: ) and talk about it then ??? In fact what about dinner at my place before the party ???

Drathzel ??
CJ ??
John S ??
Luca ??
Aleks ??
Pink Panther boy ???

We could change the world with a group like that !!!! :rofl:

Wxxx

Graham
28th-March-2005, 04:54 PM
my place :confused:

We could change the world with a group like that !!!! :rofl: :what: Into what? :eek:

drathzel
28th-March-2005, 06:59 PM
I like to think I'm dark yet fair and firm yet gentle... talking about my backleading of course... :innocent:

It's been on hold....Let's get together ....what about at the party on the 30th at the GUU.. (the one where Robert does things for charity :drool: ) and talk about it then ??? In fact what about dinner at my place before the party ???

Drathzel ??
CJ ??
John S ??
Luca ??
Aleks ??
Pink Panther boy ???

We could change the world with a group like that !!!! :rofl:

Wxxx

sounds good! :clap:

30th of when? :confused:

what things????? :whistle:

Do we have to invite pink panther boy? He doesn't seem incredible enthusiatic..... unless you can some how persuade him...... :D

Aleks
28th-March-2005, 08:55 PM
Do we have to invite pink panther boy? He doesn't seem incredible enthusiatic..... unless you can some how persuade him...... :D

That was MY question!

Let us know which 30th and azande 'n' me will do our best to be there.

Wendy
29th-March-2005, 09:19 AM
30th of April at the GUU.. but I better check that.. will maybe start a new thread once I've confirmed it....... Remember at Stirling when a group "bought" CJ ???? Well he's DJing at a party in Glasgow.. and the extra cash raised is going to charity...

So back to the book fair...

Must include BeeBee in the list (apologies for missing you out BeeBee :flower: and thanks for pointing that out Mr Ducasi :clap: )

Anyone else interested in getting involved at this stage ???

Wxxx

John S
29th-March-2005, 01:55 PM
Sounds good.
But will you not be inside the cake, waiting for the drumroll so you can burst out and leap into the arms of the birthday boy? :yum:

Wendy
29th-March-2005, 05:46 PM
Sounds good.
But will you not be inside the cake, waiting for the drumroll so you can burst out and leap into the arms of the birthday boy? :yum:That's a different party... the one you can't come to.. shame huh ????? :rofl: But you know if you bought me a cake, I'd jump out of it for you John :flower:.. a very VERY big cake and preferably chocolate of course !!!!! :grin:

Wxxx

John S
30th-March-2005, 04:42 PM
Don't let this thread fizzle out - what's happening Saturday, then - who's meeting up where?

Wendy
30th-March-2005, 07:10 PM
PM me John and I'll reveal all.... I mean all will be revealed.. I mean.... :confused:

Wxxx

drathzel
31st-March-2005, 12:42 PM
PM me John and I'll reveal all.... I mean all will be revealed.. I mean.... :confused:

Wxxx

I cant believe no one told john about the *cough* *cough* *nudge* *nudge* *wink* *wink* :really: :whistle:

BeeBee
31st-March-2005, 01:46 PM
Must include BeeBee in the list (apologies for missing you out BeeBee :flower:
Wxxx

No worries Wendy! Am looking forward to the party on Saturday - does Graham have a dance card ready for his big night? I want to book a dance with him cos I know he'll be in demand!!

See you then,
Beebs x :hug:

John S
31st-March-2005, 01:58 PM
I cant believe no one told john about the *cough* *cough* *nudge* *nudge* *wink* *wink* :really: :whistle:
It's ok, I was just having a senior moment and getting mixed up. Wendy has sorted me out though, in that special way that only she can. :whistle:

Wendy
31st-March-2005, 05:58 PM
Glad to say it is all sorted !!!!

Don't miss a dance with the lovely John, girls... not to be missed !!!!

See you all on Saturday.. I might even get DD to announce the bookclub thing so we can start to make arrangements for our wee pre-dance soiree on the 30th...

Start counting those spare books !!!!

Wxxx

drathzel
10th-April-2005, 11:52 AM
20 books and counting.....not been in the attic yet!!! :D

Wendy
19th-April-2005, 05:30 PM
Gosh the 30th isn't too far away - how did that happen ????

OK guys...

Anyone who wants to get involved in planning the bookfair and who is available to come to our place (about 20 minutes south of Glasgow city centre) in the afternoon (say 5pm -7pm so we can all have a bite to eat before going to the big charity party afterwards) please PM me and I'll send you details of our address etc.

If you have books to sell or would like to get involved at a later stage then please PM me too. The more the merrier !!!!!

Wxxx

CJ
23rd-August-2005, 01:23 PM
Anyone know what is happening??

Have LOADS of books for inclusion. Anyone taking up the slack as our esteemed Wendy is off shore?

Do we want to get it organised for the weekend she comes back to teach??

Thoughts?

here or PM...

Thank you. :flower:

Dreadful Scathe
23rd-August-2005, 03:30 PM
Do magazines count ? I have piles of 'em.

I do have books as well, some with pictures.

TiggsTours
23rd-August-2005, 03:44 PM
As somebody who has an abundance of read books, and is always on the look out for more, but needs to clear space for them, I think this is a fab idea! I'd be happy to organise a London branch of one, maybe we could have it on board the HMS President at one of the tea dances, or Ashtons, plenty of room there.

How about a mixture of trade or buy? For example, 50p a book or trade 3 for 2, all proceeds to charity.

CJ
23rd-August-2005, 04:04 PM
OK, Tiggs Tours you are on...

I'll speak to Azande and Bee Bee who seemed to be keen on the idea up here and try and get stuff sorted...

Have u read the whole thread?!?

Is everyone happy if I propose The PBC Foundation (UK) Ltd as the charity to benefit? Anyone want to assist here or in London?

TiggsTours
9th-September-2005, 01:53 PM
OK, Tiggs Tours you are on...

I'll speak to Azande and Bee Bee who seemed to be keen on the idea up here and try and get stuff sorted...

Have u read the whole thread?!?

Is everyone happy if I propose The PBC Foundation (UK) Ltd as the charity to benefit? Anyone want to assist here or in London?
Hi CJ,

Sorry I haven't been back in touch.

I have read the whole thread, yes, and I'm really very keen to do this, anyone who wants to help me, it would be very appreciated!

If you don't mind, I'd like to do the London one in aid of the National Endometriosis Society though, as I am currently fundraising for them, and trying to raise £2250!

Thanks,

Tiggs Tours.