PDA

View Full Version : What if you got a Perfect Score?

Magic Hans
9th-March-2005, 07:12 PM
Ok

Hypothetical scenario is:

You've entered a (scored) competition (any .... dance or not), and got 1st place, and are obviously pleased/overjoyed/overcome (or otherwise very very happy) with the result.

How do you feel when you find that you got 10/10, 100% for every marked category?

a) Ecstatic. "I've reached the pinnacle of my performance, and will now be able to look back on this moment as the best ever of my [blank] career/hobby (or whichever)"

b) Suspicious. "Hmmmm. I know I could have done one or two things a little better. How were they missed by the judges??"

c) Carefree, and with a pinch of salt. "Wonderful! The judges thought that I was absolutely excellent!! I know that I wasn't quite perfect, but that really doesn't matter. Some really experience people of my discipline were mightily impressed by my performance. That's good enough for me!"

d) All of the above, none of the above, some mix of the above plus some more stuff.

Whaddayathink??

Ian

skippy
9th-March-2005, 07:20 PM
d) All of the above, none of the above, some mix of the above plus some more stuff.
Whaddayathink??

I would feel great when I first found out then after some time I would proberly sit down and really assess how I personal felt I had done. :hug: :yeah:

Allez-Cat
9th-March-2005, 08:01 PM
Whaddayathink??Ian

Very swiftly put in for the Franchise at that Village DianaS was talking about.
(http://www.cerocscotland.com/forum/showthread.php?t=4837)

Well, you were hypothesising! :D

Little Monkey
9th-March-2005, 08:06 PM
Ok

How do you feel when you find that you got 10/10, 100% for every marked category?

Whaddayathink??

Ian

First: OHMYGODOHMYGODOHMYGOD!!!!!!!!!!!! They think I'm FANTASTIC! Wo-hooooooooooooooooooooooooo!!!!!!!!!

Then: What are the judges thinking????? I did that and that and that and that and that and THAT wrong! Not to mention THAT!!!!!!

Total confusion, methinks.... :rofl:

LM

bigdjiver
9th-March-2005, 09:20 PM
I would think that 66 was my lucky number, and competitor 99 had his number on upside down.

Andreas
9th-March-2005, 10:08 PM
b) Suspicious. "Hmmmm. I know I could have done one or two things a little better. How were they missed by the judges??"

You'd know that I didn't judge. There is no such thing as 10/10

Magic Hans
9th-March-2005, 10:38 PM
You'd know that I didn't judge. There is no such thing as 10/10

Quick PS.

Judging is a difficult job to do, and I am sure is done it most of the time.
It can be open to all sorts of criticisms and can never please everyone.
I, personally, appreciate the work that judges do, even though I rarely enter (any manner of) competition.
Feedback is vitally important, in order to maintain/develop good practice, and I hope judges can be thick skinned enough to filter out the good from the bad.
I am very in favour of open (scored) judging. It promotes confidence in the judging (and the competition), although it exposes the judging to further criticism.

Point being: It's very easy to criticise. Would you do it??

[I'd only be happy judging a subject/area that I comfortably felt that I knew superbly well]

Ian

Minnie M
9th-March-2005, 10:59 PM
Competition Winners - March 2005

Spotlight Results - Possible marks available 108

1st 5 -- Joe Philip & Lynne Pearson 108

Anyone noticed this :cool:

TheTramp
9th-March-2005, 11:03 PM
Anyone noticed this :cool:
Ummm... Minnie.....

Why do you think that this thread has co-incidentally started just right now....

(At least, that's my assumption - though, of course, I know that the person starting it must know Lynne and Joe since they all dance in Nottingham :whistle: )

Minnie M
9th-March-2005, 11:27 PM
Ummm... Minnie.....

Why do you think that this thread has co-incidentally started just right now....

(At least, that's my assumption - though, of course, I know that the person starting it must know Lynne and Joe since they all dance in Nottingham :whistle: )

I apologise if this is so :blush: I thought it must be that, but there was no reference :innocent:

However, quite amazing (wish I was there to see it) personally I think no-one should be given perfect scores, it leaves nothing for improvement, which I thought we ALL strive for

I wonder how many of the judges saw Jordan & Tatiana's performance - can anyone compare the two (performance wise that is)

David Franklin
9th-March-2005, 11:36 PM
However, quite amazing (wish I was there to see it) personally I think no-one should be given perfect scores, it leaves nothing for improvement, which I thought we ALL strive forBefore everyone gets too carried away, remember that with many marking schemes, 100% doesn't imply "perfect". Some systems are based on ranking the competitors. In which case all 108 out of 108 might mean is that every judge agreed on who was best.

Now the old 6.0 system in skating was really dodgy. Judges weren't allowed to give the same score twice. So if you gave the 1st couple a 6, you'd already decided who'd won. Even if everyone else was better, you'd still have to give them all less than 6. Of course, in skating the judges had probably decided who'd won before the start anyhow... :devil:

Dave

Dance Demon
9th-March-2005, 11:49 PM
I'm Not surprised that Joe & Lynn achieved perfect score. Their routine was brilliant. As well as being technically excellent, it was also very entertaining, and the music was superb and very well edited. I don't think there was a person in the place that didn't think they were well worthy of their position and score.
well done :worthy: :worthy: :worthy:

Magic Hans
10th-March-2005, 10:33 AM
Before everyone gets too carried away, remember that with many marking schemes, 100% doesn't imply "perfect". Some systems are based on ranking the competitors. In which case all 108 out of 108 might mean is that every judge agreed on who was best.

Now the old 6.0 system in skating was really dodgy. Judges weren't allowed to give the same score twice. So if you gave the 1st couple a 6, you'd already decided who'd won. Even if everyone else was better, you'd still have to give them all less than 6. Of course, in skating the judges had probably decided who'd won before the start anyhow... :devil:

Dave

Thanks Dave!! That's a real useful piece of info that I was simply unaware of. Were I lucky enough to compete and get a 100%. I would be reassured by that [ .... although it doesn't bother me hugely. Doing well and feeling good about my performance would be good enough for me!!]