PDA

View Full Version : I'm coming to Glasgow

Will
21st-November-2002, 01:57 AM
Peeps

I've just been informed by my company that I am going to be working in Glasgow for 2 weeks from 9th - 20th December.

I've never been to Glasgow for more than a few hours, and have certainly never danced there. Can anyone tell me what events / ceroc nights are on during that time (and which are the best ones)

Living in a hotel can be so boring, so I'd love to be able to go out dancing, and the chance to meet some of you guys would be fantastic, I've never danced in Scotland before.

Many thanks in advance

Will :cheers:

Dreadful Scathe
21st-November-2002, 11:01 AM
http://www.cerocscotland.com/classes.htm#GLASGOW.

Franck has included links to multimap so you know exactly where the classes are.

Will
21st-November-2002, 02:38 PM
Thanks for that DS.

I see that there are event on in Glasgow on Monday & Wednesday nights. I shall do my best to get to them. Can anyone tell me what time they finish?

But I also see that there is a Christmas Party on 14th December. Is that in the Patrick Burgh Halls? Can you get tickets on the door? (I'm not sure at the moment whether I'll be staying in Glasgow or flying back to London over that weekend.

Ta.

Will

Janet
21st-November-2002, 02:57 PM
Hi Will,

Can't wait to see you up here. Book me a dance or 20!!! :D

Regular class nights (Mon & Wed) are 7.30 to 10.30pm.

The Christmas Party night on the 14th is in Partick Burgh Hall (unless Franck knows otherwise! :yum: ) 8 to 12pm. Tickets at the door.
It will be a great night and, if this month's party a couple of weeks ago is anything to go by, very busy. Hope to see as many visitors from the other Scottish venues next month, too.
So many partys before Christmas. *sigh*. Fantastic, isn't it!!! :cheers:

Janet

Franck
21st-November-2002, 03:25 PM
Originally posted by Will
I see that there are event on in Glasgow on Monday & Wednesday nights. I shall do my best to get to them. Can anyone tell me what time they finish?

But I also see that there is a Christmas Party on 14th December. Is that in the Patrick Burgh Halls? Can you get tickets on the door? (I'm not sure at the moment whether I'll be staying in Glasgow or flying back to London over that weekend. Hey Will,

Sorry about the delay getting back to you :sorry

It's great to hear you'll be in Glasgow soon :nice:
As DS mentioned, all the info is on the main website. The nights finish at 10.30pm (Monday and Wednesday).
The party will be in the Partick Burgh Hall, no tickets required for this one, you can just pay at the door (£6.00).

I am sure you'll be made very welcome by the Glasgow crowd and we are all looking forward to putting a face to the Forum personna

Cheers,

Franck.

Will
21st-November-2002, 06:27 PM
Thanks Janet, Thanks Franck!

You guys are indeed a very friendly bunch, and I too look forward to putting faces to names! I shall certainly be attempting to attend some or all of the events whilst I'm in Scotland - depending on how the work goes.

Ciow :cool:

Lorna
21st-November-2002, 06:52 PM
hi will

hope that your travels will include a visit up to Aberdeen. We are of course one of the best ceroc clubs in Scotland. We have two nights, tues and thursdays. It would be great to see you. Guarenteed to have a busy night on the dance floor. This is the club that brought you BTC Foreman. Say no more!!!!!

And of course you must not miss the opportunity to dance with the infamous FC and co. who make up part of the MAd posse in Dundee, well worth a visit, some fab dancers there! That's on a Wed. All the info is on the website.

Looking forward to meeting you,

lotsa love Lorna x-x

Will
21st-November-2002, 07:03 PM
I would love to come to Aberdeen, but isn't that about a 3 hour drive from Glasgow? (My geography of Scotland isn't great)

To add to that, apart from the fact that my schedule is going to be quite tight, I'm probably going to be relying on Taxi's all the time and a Taxi to Aberdeen would probably require me to remortgage my house. :sad:

Sadly I'm just a lowly engineer who does what he is told, not some high flying business many who just jets around the world having power-lunches and rounds of golf when his social life permits.

Anyway, I'll see how it all goes. I'm sure you guys will have some different moves up there, so I'll be up with my camcorder to NICK 'EM ALL!:grin:

Will
28th-November-2002, 04:43 PM
I've just found out that I'm going to be staying in the Holiday Inn, Glasgow City West, Bothwell Street. Is that near where Ceroc is? Will I need to take taxi's, trains, buses, or just walk?

Like I said, I'm totally ignorant of Glasgows geographical layout.

Thanks again....

Will

TheTramp
28th-November-2002, 04:45 PM
www.streetmap.co.uk

www.rac.co.uk

The former will give you a map of Glasgow, the latter will give you a route from one place to another, and tell you (to within 0.1 of a mile) how far it is.

Steve

Franck
28th-November-2002, 05:12 PM
I've just found out that I'm going to be staying in the Holiday Inn, Glasgow City West, Bothwell Street. Is that near where Ceroc is? Will I need to take taxi's, trains, buses, or just walk? Well Glasgow is not too big (at least the centre isn't). From the Holiday Inn, it would be a fair walk to either venue. The 'Orange clockwork' underground does not get near any of our venues unfortunately, so that leaves the bus, but I am useless with buses, so can't help!
A taxi ride is probably the best bet, usually quite cheap (compared to London), maybe 3/4 quid.

Finally, you could always hitch a lift, so many kindly souls in Glasgow, one might take pity on you and pick you up, or take you back after the customary after Ceroc drinks.

Just a quick reminder that because of Christmas, the Wednesday nights will be closed on the 18th December.

Franck.

SwingSwingSwing
28th-November-2002, 07:06 PM
Just a quick reminder that because of Christmas, the Wednesday nights will be closed on the 18th December. Franck, Do you mean that there is no class on the 18th or that the 18th is the last one before Christmas?
I read it as being no class on the 18th but the main page of cerocscotland has the last class as being the 18th.
:confused:
SwingSwingSwing

Will
10th-December-2002, 12:35 AM
Well I've come back from my first Ceroc night in Glasgow. I had a cracking night and met several of you guys on this forum for the first time.

Most notibly Janet who picked me up and gave me a lift. That isn't the sort of thing that complete strangers do in London too often I can tell you. To add to that she is a wonderful dancer. Boy did I land on my feet tonight!!! Brings a new meaning to the title Taxi Dancer. Janet, Thankyou so much, and I look forward to marking your dance card on Wednesday night too if I may.

Also Hi to Wendy who is also a great dancer, Brady & Ceroc_Jock who introduced me to "All that Jazz" (A brainchild of Mr Lampert he tells me). Good song Steve.

Until Wednesday.......

Will :cheers:

TheTramp
10th-December-2002, 12:44 AM
Damn....

You mean he plays it when I'm not there to dance to it???

CJ and I are gonna have words!! :wink:

Steve

Wendy
10th-December-2002, 01:34 AM
Well I've come back from my first Ceroc night in Glasgow. I had a cracking night and met several of you guys on this forum for the first time.

Until Wednesday.......

Was just telling The Tramp what a dream you are to dance with. But I kept getting moves wrong so you'll have to let me practise with you LOTS !!!!! on Wednesday.... :innocent: :innocent: :innocent: :innocent:

Wx

Janet
10th-December-2002, 07:34 PM
Hi Will,
Glad you had a good night and thanks for all the dances! :D Looking forward to the class tomorrow.... your request is duly noted (like you'd get away with not dancing with me :yum: ).

Janet

p.s. I think that should be taxi/dancer, not Taxi dancer. On second thoughts, let's leave it the way it is - maybe it'll confuse Gary into letting me in for free tomorrow. :wink:

TheTramp
10th-December-2002, 08:03 PM
You mean that you picked him up, and he let you pay to get in.

Shame on you Will!! :wink:

Steve

Will
10th-December-2002, 11:58 PM
Originally posted by TheTramp
You mean that you picked him up, and he let you pay to get in.

Shame on you Will!! :wink:

Steve

Well I did try, but she was already loaded with admit ones. :innocent:

Janet
11th-December-2002, 01:37 PM
Indeed he did offer, Steve, but as I had tickets that are cheaper than paying full price at the door, it didn't seem to make much sense. Besides, I was handsomely reimbursed in dances over the course of the evening :D. A few more dances tonight and the pub afterwards (did I forget to mention that? :devil: ) will amply make up for a couple of minutes detour.

Janet

TheTramp
11th-December-2002, 01:40 PM
Well.....come pick me up en route tonight, and I promise you loads of dances.

Does that sound like a fair deal?? :wink:

Steve

Janet
11th-December-2002, 02:58 PM
No problem..... just send me directions. How much time should I leave, do you think? Wouldn't want to miss the class. :yum:

Janet

TheTramp
11th-December-2002, 03:07 PM
1. Start at A8 (High Street), Glasgow (UK-G__). 0.8 miles 1.3 km 0.0 miles 0.0 km
2. Leave the A8 (High Street), and join the M8 at the M8/J15 junction direction EDINBURGH, CARLISLE, [M8] STIRLING. 5.7 miles
9.2 km 0.8 miles 1.3 km
3. You just left Glasgow.
4. Leave the M8 at junction M8/J9 and straight ahead into M73 direction CARLISLE via [M74], [M73] CARLISLE, [A89] COATBRIDGE. 1.6 miles 2.5 km 6.6 miles 10.5 km
5. Leave the M73 and straight ahead into M74 direction [M74] CARLISLE. 29.9 miles 48.1 km 8.1 miles 13.0 km
6. Leave the M74 at junction M74/J13 and straight ahead into A74(M). 49.2 miles 79.1 km 38.2 miles 61.1 km
7. Leave the A74(M) and straight ahead into A74. 5.8 miles 9.3 km 87.7 miles 140.3 km
8. Leave the A74 and join the M6. 224.8 miles 361.8 km 93.5 miles 149.6 km
9. Leave the M6 at junction M1/J19 and straight ahead into M1 direction NORTHAMPTON, [M1] LONDON. 76.4 miles 123 km 319.6 miles 511.4 km
10. You are entering LONDON.
11. After 76.4 miles take the 4th Exit off the Staples Corner (Roundabout) onto Staples Corner West. 137 yards 125 m 396.5 miles 634.4 km
12. After 137 yards take the 1st Exit off the Staples Corner West (Roundabout) onto Edgware Road. 5 miles 8.1 km 396.6 miles 634.5 km
13. Bear left into A40 (Marble Arch). 0.9 miles 1.4 km 401.6 miles 642.6 km
14. Turn left onto Hyde Park Corner. 87 yards 80 m 402.5 miles 643.9 km
15. Turn right onto Duke Of Wellington Place. 190 yards 174 m 402.5 miles 644.0 km
16. Turn left into A302 (Grosvenor Place). 559 yards 511 m 402.6 miles 644.2 km
17. Bear left into A3217 (Lower Grosvenor Place/Royal Gardens/Royal Lodge). 121 yards 111 m 402.9 miles 644.7 km
18. Turn right into B312 (Beeston Place). 105 yards 96 m 403.0 miles 644.8 km
19. Turn left onto Eaton Lane. 114 yards 104 m 403.1 miles 644.9 km
20. Turn right into A3214 (Buckingham Palace Road). 843 yards
771 m 403.1 miles 645.0 km
21. Continue straight into B313 (Ebury Bridge Road). 483 yards
442 m 403.6 miles 645.8 km
22. Turn left into A3216 (Chelsea Bridge Road). 1.1 miles
1.7 km 403.9 miles 646.2 km
23. Turn left into B224 (Silverthorne Road). 0.9 miles
1.5 km 405.0 miles 648.0 km
24. Turn right into A24 (Clapham Common South Side). 3.3 miles
5.2 km 405.9 miles 649.5 km
25. Turn left onto Marlborough Road. 406 yards 371 m 409.2 miles 654.7 km
26. Continue straight onto Wilton Road. 185 yards
169 m 409.4 miles 655.1 km
27. Turn left onto Devonshire Road. 49 yards
45 m 409.5 miles 655.3 km
28. You have arrived your destination "Myrna Close, LONDON (UK-SW19 2HW)". 0 yards 0 m 409.6 miles 655.3 km

There you go. They reckon it should take 6 hours and 59 minutes. So, if you leave at 5am, we should be back in time for the class!

Steve

Janet
11th-December-2002, 07:42 PM
:tears: :tears: :tears: But the class starts in just over an hour. Does that mean that I don't get any dances with you tonight?
If I leave now I'll be between Carlisle and Birmingham and I'll not get to dance with anyone => ummm, ermm, ehhhh..... mind if we leave it for another night? :sorry

I shall save your directions though and surprise you one day. In fact, you may get quite a few people dropping by now you have so publically declared your place of residence. :wink:
Or is this the address of a chinese restaurant or a strip club or something? :na:

Janet

TheTramp
11th-December-2002, 08:03 PM
Or is this the address of a chinese restaurant or a strip club or something?Hell no. It's directions to my place. Bring sleeping bags though. I live in rented accomodation (like almost everyone else I know in London), so there's no spare room :(

But anyone is welcome. You might have to dance with me though!!

Steve

Will
12th-December-2002, 01:18 AM
But anyone is welcome. You might have to dance with me though!!

Steve

I was just about to jump into my car until I read this... :grin:

TheTramp
12th-December-2002, 01:20 AM
Oh Will :tears:

I can't tell you how disappointed I am now!!! :(

Steve

Will
12th-December-2002, 01:32 AM
I've just returned from my 2nd Ceroc night in Glasgow, once again picked up by the lovely Janet. Before I go any further, may I say for the benefit of the Tramp that I DID pay for Janet to get into Ceroc tonight. :innocent:

I'd also like to say a big HELLO and THANKYOU to Franck and his wife who I met tonight and who made me very welcome, and also to Jayne with whom I had some great dances tonight.

It's such good fun meeting you all. It makes a boring business trip feel more like a holiday. :waycool:

Hope to see you all next week!

Will

TheTramp
12th-December-2002, 01:36 AM
Before I go any further, may I say for the benefit of the Tramp that I DID pay for Janet to get into Ceroc tonight.Sorry Will. I was only teasing you the other time. I hope that you didn't take me too seriously.....

(I mean, no-one else does!!) :rolleyes:

Steve

Janet
12th-December-2002, 02:47 PM
Sorry Will. I was only teasing you the other time. I hope that you didn't take me too seriously.....

(I mean, no-one else does!!) :rolleyes:

Steve
Being a gentleman, he was mortified by your completely unfounded slur on his character. YA BULLY! :reallymad

Janet

TheTramp
12th-December-2002, 02:48 PM
He was???

I'm mortified now....

Steve

Janet
12th-December-2002, 07:34 PM
Ha!

Will
12th-December-2002, 11:51 PM
He was???

I'm mortified now....

Steve

Nah!!!

I thought your comment was quite funny actually. Just playing along with it.:wink:

Janet
13th-December-2002, 03:31 PM
Serves him right though, dunnit?!! :na:
Janet

TheTramp
13th-December-2002, 03:39 PM
Hey. Who's being a bully now then eh!?!

:really:

Steve

Janet
13th-December-2002, 07:40 PM
I am far to polite and petite to ever manage to bully you, Steve :innocent:.
Just don't jump to conclusions again!

Janet

TheTramp
13th-December-2002, 09:51 PM
That's ok.

I'm far too much of a gentleman to ever bully you. Or Will

:rolleyes:

Steve