PDA

View Full Version : Competitions: Hopes and expectations

Bill
9th-March-2005, 06:06 PM
Been thinking about competing and competition results over the last few days and of a comment I made about the relative 'success' of the Scottish dancers at Blackpool. I'll try and keep this brief but bear with me ........

When I first ventured to London with Avril about 5 years ago there were few if any expectations from the Scots who went down and consequently those of us who did go were delighted to get past one round ! :nice: The first real win I remember was Jen in the Lucky Dip.

However, having reached the second round of the Intermediate the first year, I returned the next year hoping to do as well, if not better. The second year Avril and I reached the semi but the following year we 'only' managed the second round again and I was disappointed - although having seen the video I can't say I'm surprised I didn't progress!!). A few other couples also got through a few rounds ( most notably Gilbert and Lindsey) but on the whole we didn't really expect many, if any Scots to reach finals or be placed.

Over the last few years at Blackpool and/or London we have had several team winners, Seniors winners, Intermediate winners and numerous placings in finals. Do such expectations add to the general excitement and buzz surrounding competitions and so encourage others to compete or do they actually cause high - or possibly unrealistic expectations???? Putting in more time and effort can lead to higher expectations but perhaps also to bitter disappointment if the expectations are not realised.

The time, energy, commitment and cost of competing at Advanced or Open level can be huge and while competitors in England (or maybe London) can sign up for N & N, Amir, David & Lily etc... we have very few experienced top level dancers who have also judged and so have the expertise to pass on to dancers and perhaps give very honest feedback on what they see :what: . Franck, Scot, Obe and most of the other Ceroc teachers have considerable teaching experience but few actually want to compete but I wonder if they are called upon for advice!

Can 'we' sustain the current levels of Scottish success or will we all be just happy to compete and have fun???????????

Dazzle
9th-March-2005, 07:36 PM
As a "virgin" competitor at Blackpool this year I feel I, and the region I dance in (North/North West) are probably where you, and the other Scottish dancers were some time ago.

For the first time we had quite a number of competitors and supporters there. (We may need to consult with the Ceroc Scotland contingent on how best to make ourselves heard! :worthy: ) Some individuals were winners some time ago, but on the whole we were pretty inexperienced. Unfortunately, all went out first round in Advanced, 1 couple made the semis in the Intermediate and I made the DWAS final. I have no expectation for next time with DWAS as it is purely luck driven in the main. Yes a good lead can get you so far, but if dancers are incompatible for any reason the partnership doesn't work.

Some of us consulted teachers and well-known personalities in our preparations for the competition, but not sure it made a huge difference ultimately, certainly not in the results :blush: Feel the following had a large part to play:

Competition experience
Serving time on the scene
Judges preferences

Hopefully in time we can reach the heights of the Scottish contingent. So for now, little hope or expectations. I guess that will come more once you get a placing.

Andy McGregor
10th-March-2005, 02:19 AM
Franck, Scot, Obe and most of the other Ceroc teachers have considerable teaching experience but few actually want to compete but I wonder if they are called upon for advice!

Can 'we' sustain the current levels of Scottish success or will we all be just happy to compete and have fun???????????You have Steve Lampert in Scotland. He must be one of the most successful competitors on the circuit. Of course you could never dance like him as he has a particular shape :whistle: But, I think competitors could learn from his musicality - which is second to none :worthy:

Bill
11th-March-2005, 04:46 PM
Hopefully in time we can reach the heights of the Scottish contingent. So for now, little hope or expectations. I guess that will come more once you get a placing.

Sure you will :D As for expectations I wonder how many 'virgin' competitiors have expectations of simply getting through a round and how many think they might make the final !!!

DWAS is a real lottery - and more so this year when so few couples went into the second round !! But does being placed spur you on to try and improve or lead to increased pressure, stress and anxiety for the following year ( and dismay if you don't so as well???).

Good luck in all your future competitions.

:cheers:

Dazzle
11th-March-2005, 06:26 PM
But does being placed spur you on to try and improve or lead to increased pressure, stress and anxiety for the following year ( and dismay if you don't so as well???).

Thanks for the encouragement Bill :cheers: . At the moment I suppose the pressure is still not on. If I continue to do OK then the pressure from others and probably myself will increase in an attempt to maintain that. The koind of guy I am tells me that I will probably put myself under far more pressure than anyone else could!

Hope to see you around the "competition circuit".

Dazzle