PDA

View Full Version : Battle of the Weekenders - Results?

Andy McGregor
7th-March-2005, 02:09 PM
So, we had 3 weekenders over the 4th, 5th and 6th March. We've heard from the Blackpool Champs. How about the other 2? Who went? How was it?

For those of you that don't know/remember/would rather forget these were Katie Baxter's Camber weekend and Franco's Hastings weekend.

Will
7th-March-2005, 05:18 PM
Well Kate & I were at Hastings. I've got no idea what the numbers actually were, but our classes as well as the others we saw were all fairly full so I think it must have done alright.

I've not heard anything about Camber but I know that Geordieed went so maybe he can shed some light on that one.

Jooles
7th-March-2005, 06:23 PM
I thought Hastings was really good fun. The best part for me (apart from some good classes) were the band that played on Saturday afternoon. They played some fantastic music - and I am not usually a fan of live bands - but I changed my opinion after an afternoon of dancing to this particular group.

The other thing I enjoyed was the fact that all the classes were based on jive. Although I do love learning other dances on my weekends away. It was fun for a change to only concentrate on learning how to ceroc better. Well that was the theory ..... will be trying to put it into practice tonight

Sheepman
8th-March-2005, 01:43 PM
I've not heard anything about Camber Jordan and Tatiana! :clap: :worthy: :worthy: :clap:
I'm so looking forward to Southport in June now, as hopefully I will have got to grips with some of what they taught by then!

The music wasn't always to my taste, especially as Peter was ill so couldn't do his blues slot, it was wonderful to have space to dance.

Greg

Geordieed
8th-March-2005, 03:22 PM
Hello there Mr Will. Yes I went to Camber for the weekend. What an amazing weekend. I think the first words uttered by anyone who was there would be Jordan and Tatiana. It will take me a while to accurately description their dancing and do it some justice. What I would say first has nothing to do with dancing at all. After spending a little time with them over the weekend I would have to say what a lovely generous couple they are. They gave their time with everyone they met so much. :worthy:

It was an inspiration to watch their freestyle for their own fun on Friday. They also performed their routine for 2005 competitions on the Saturday then offered to dance some more in the way of freestyle for everyone to see the difference. Truely, truely amazing. If anyone had not seen them before or WCS, what an introduction to both themselves and WCS as a dance.

There teaching was also first class. Very technical and I would be interested to hear how some people might have felt to only cover really one move per class. Even after partying the night away on Saturday night 'til 7:30am Sunday their morning class never dropped in quality. After performing and partying Jordan even gave up some time to DJ in the smaller room for a while. Again :worthy:

I met some new faces that weekend and hope to meet them again soon. Big hello to the Scottish dancers that made it down for the weekend. After making a brave decision (that I was not too sure about) not to do Blackpool this year I can thoroughly say what a brilliant weekend I had. I am so glad to have made the choice that I did. I think this was in part to the spread of people over 3 events on one weekend. Had this been the only event last weekend I am sure it would have not been the same. I just got lucky on something that appealed to me personally.

On another day who knows. It is pretty difficult to sum up such an eventful weekend in one reply though.

DangerousCurves
8th-March-2005, 05:33 PM
Had a thoroughly enjoyable weekend down at Hastings. :grin:

The dancers were very friendly, and classes were very well attended. Jim and Nicky from Dance Riviera were on excellent form, with two packed classes - "Playing Footsie" (stylish footwork) and "Swinging the Blues". Mikey brought his usual cheeky humour to a new class - "Fast 'n Furious" which saw a lot of people covering a lot of floor at great speed whilst giggling helplessly! I heard good reports of Simon and Uta's "Styled Australian Moves" Class, and of Viktor's teaching - particularly his men-only body ripple class!!!

The dj's played some excellent tracks and I had three of my best nights dancing so far this year... The live band on Saturday were the Jive Aces - who were absolutely amazing!!! Great to dance to - but equally good fun just to watch! Beautiful music and great entertainers!!!

On the accommodation side, anyone who knows me is aware that I am not a big fan of caravans ( :devil: ) - but I almost had to eat my hat this weekend. We had very spacious, and quite luxurious accomodation by weekender standards - in fact I would say it was better than the usual pontins/butlins appartment. The kitchen in particular was very well stocked plus we had two bathrooms (one with both a bath and a shower cabinet).

All in all - I would say a great success for Franco... I'd sign up for it again tomorrow!

Jooles
8th-March-2005, 05:44 PM
.......actually The Jive Aces were not the band I was referring to in my earlier post. Although I thought they were fine, it was the band on Saturday afternoon that I thought were spectacular. Such fun to dance to.

I agree with you about the accommodation though. It was better than I've ever been lucky enough to stay in at either Pontins or Butlins. The beds were really, really comfortable and it was such a pleasure to have a bath and not just a shower.

stewart38
9th-March-2005, 01:48 PM
Hello there Mr Will. Yes I went to Camber for the weekend. What an amazing weekend.

On another day who knows. It is pretty difficult to sum up such an eventful weekend in one reply though.

What were the nos like at this event ?

Bigger Andy
9th-March-2005, 02:43 PM
What were the nos like at this event ?

I would guess that it was under 1000.

There were significantly fewer people at this weekend compared with the 'Jive Spree' weekends and this was an advantage in terms of smaller class sizes and more space and less collisions on the dance floor.

Jordan Frisbee and Tatiana Mollman.
:worthy: :clap: :worthy:
They gave us two absolutely stunning performances.
:worthy: :clap: :worthy:

There were two live band performances during the weekend. 'Kit Packham and One Jump Ahead' played a set on Saturday lunch time. 'The Buffaloes' played a set on Sunday lunch time. I'm not sure of the value of the bands as I needed my lunch !

I was impressed with the teaching of Andy & Rena and Colin & Janneke and Joseph Sewell. :grin: :worthy:
Peter Phillips was his usual self - when he was well enough to perform ! :sick:

Katy Baxter also promised a free DVD for everyone who attended !

I would go again.
:cheers:

bigdjiver
9th-March-2005, 03:25 PM
I am impressed by the ****s of the promoters who go head to head with the championships, and also the progess of MJ that it can serve three major events on one weekend, but also slightly sad that the Championships are not of sufficient stature to make this thinkable.

Anybody know what the numbers were like at the Peterborough Tea dance? It may not have been good scheduling to try this at this time.

TheTramp
9th-March-2005, 03:55 PM
I wonder how much of a loss (from less people, free DVDs etc.) Katy has taken on the weekend, in order to attempt to get in on the weekender market. And whether it'll prove to be worthwhile in the long run.

And then, if it does become profitable, whether the quality and product will dip in quality in order to achieve a profitable status (this is assuming that the first time will not be profitable, which could quite easily be wrong!).

From what people have said though, I'm even more looking forward to seeing Jordan and Tatiana in action at Southport in June...

Simon
9th-March-2005, 07:55 PM
From what people have said though, I'm even more looking forward to seeing Jordan and Tatiana in action at Southport in June...
Oh, yes! :clap: :waycool: :clap:

Lounge Lizard
10th-March-2005, 12:18 PM
As far as I am aware the timing/date of the Rebel Yell 2005 weekender was the date offered by Pontins and was the only one available throughout 2005, I am sure Katy will push for a better date next time.

A second weekender on the south coast will raise the standards provided for the dancers - live bands seems the first introduction resulting from competition.

Will Katy maintain the standard - her track record for her Rebel Yell one day event speaks for itself, I canot see any reason why her weekenders will not be the same.

sorry about my blues room set guys - I was sooo ill with the dam flu I missed everything from midnight Saturday till Monday morning.
Peter