PDA

View Full Version : Baltic States....

Chicklet
1st-March-2005, 12:08 PM
I am pondering a trip to the World Champ Athletics in Helsinki in Aug and an add on is available...... :waycool:

Anyone have any experiences of these towns / areas they would share?

First few days after the games are in St Petersburg, I know enough about that to know I would love to see it but I know very little about these, other than I would expect them to be an interesting mix of (is) Orthodox (the correct word) architecture from the 19th Century, 20th C communist elements and modern development from the last 10 years.

Breakfast will be taken on the train before the 10.00 hrs arrival in the Lithuanian capital Vilnius. A 3 hours Vilnius city tour is organised directly from the train before checking into the 3* Hotel City Europe. The afternoon is free for taking lunch, shopping and private sightseeing. In the evening you will depart the hotel at 18.00 hrs for an Evening excursion to Trakai castle with a Karaite-dinner included.

Thu 18 Aug: Breakfast in hotel. Depart the hotel at 09.00 hrs and travel by bus to the Latvian capital of Riga with arrival in the early afternoon. The group will check-in at the 3* Hotel Radi & Draugi. The afternoon is free for taking lunch, shopping and private sightseeing. You will depart the hotel at 18.00 hrs for a guided walk in the old town with dinner at a local restaurant included.

Fri 19 Aug: Breakfast in hotel. Depart the hotel at 09.00 hrs and travel by bus towards Estonia with a sightseeing stop at the spa town of Parnu for a lunch break. Then continue to the Estonian capital of Tallinn arriving mid-afternoon with a Tallinn city tour upon arrival. The group will check-in at the 3* Hotel Olevi Residence. In the evening you will visit the old town with dinner at a local restaurant included.

Sat 20 Aug: Breakfast in hotel. A guided walk of the old town is arranged with the rest of the morning free for shopping and sightseeing and taking lunch. At 16.30 hrs you will depart the hotel for the bus transfer to the harbour for the 17.25 hrs fast catamaran boat to Helsinki,

Monika
1st-March-2005, 04:25 PM
Hi
Sounds great! St Petersburgh is meant to be FAB! My brother been there about 5 times and still planning to go back again this year. I hope to travel there myself in the not too distant future. After a quick chat with my brother he recommends the following:
* "The Hermitage" / Winter palace - meet up early - lot's and lot's to see
* "Peter and Paul Fortress"
* "The ressurection church" (/ Khram Voskresenia Khristova)
* "St. Isaac Cathedral"
If you have time - travel to city "Pushkin" - about 30 km away to see the Summer Palace. Very nice.
For a bit of shopping try shopping centre "Gostiniy Dvor". Right in the middle of main street Njevskii Prospekt in St Petersburgh.
Other than that: Just wander around on all the lovely bridges over all the kanals. Be aware of mosquitos though - as only April/May "clear" from them - bring and use insect repellent.
More details:
http://www.travel.spb.ru/theguide/spb.html

I've been to Tallinn and thought it was really lovely. Particularly the old part of town - stunning buildings and nice market (despite a lot of not very fortunate people who would sell pretty much anything for money). Food can be.. .well... interesting... touristy places will cater for most people though.
Helsinki is also a very nice city - interesting modern pubs and clubs and nice designer stuff - amazing big park with at the time beautiful art exhibition - cannot remember if permanent or if only temporary. Have a couple of friends near Helsinki so can ask for a bit more advice as a few years ago since I've been.
Have a superb trip
Mon :hug: :)

Dreadful Scathe
1st-March-2005, 04:31 PM
ooh sounds like my kind of holiday - room in your suitcase Chick ?

Chicklet
1st-March-2005, 04:41 PM
Thanks Monika - I was wondering if our local "northerener" would have been around there!!

DS, as the main purpose of the trip is akchuly to see the 'letics, I will, of course not be taking a suitcase but will blend in by travelling dressed in 17 layers of lycra and shell that I can remove in stages on the instruction of overweight women in pleated shorts and blazers.

I will also have a small child following me around with a yellow basket for removed articles and containing at all times a CD player with inspirational, winners toones, special athletes water and a box of nandralone from the ACME food supplement company.

ALSO....if I remember correctly your pink shell suit is very "last year" so best get a new white one, then I might let you come. :kiss:

John S
1st-March-2005, 04:57 PM
your pink shell suit is very "last year"
But perhaps last year is the new this year, just as next year this year will be the new last year :confused:

Monika
1st-March-2005, 05:04 PM
[QUOTE=Chicklet]Thanks Monika - I was wondering if our local "northerener" would have been around there!!

Nae worries :) I'm sure you'll have a great trip. Language can be a bit of a challenge though as not as many people as you would think actually speaks English.
"Kitos" = thank you and "Opastus" = information should get you a long way.. (or even the Swedish "Tack saa mycket" for thank you). :nice:

http:www.helsinki.fi

http://www.hel.fi/tourism/matko_esitteet/EN_Helsinki.pdf

Nick M
4th-March-2005, 12:09 PM
I am pondering a trip to the World Champ Athletics in Helsinki in Aug and an add on is available...... :waycool:

Anyone have any experiences of these towns / areas they would share?

Take plenty of mosquito repellent, and pack long-sleeved tops and trousers!

bzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz z

Monika
4th-March-2005, 12:23 PM
Take plenty of mosquito repellent, and pack long-sleeved tops and trousers!

bzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz z

...Thank's - Very good point. I ended up in no less than 2 hospitals in Helsinki with allergy shock due to mosquito bites (not pretty!) so must take this advice seriously. But if you use remedies you should have a great time! I only have good memories from my trip (luckily insurance covered cost for treatments and transport to/from hospitals etc...make sure you check "small print" in your travel insurance before you leave...).

Take care
Mon x :flower: :nice:

Chicklet
4th-March-2005, 12:35 PM
now that is VERY good advice, thanks both!!

Trousers
5th-March-2005, 01:43 AM
Helsinki is cool!
I worked there a while in '99, god i sound like a throwback.

But it was sooooooo cool.
Lager comes in three strengths low alcohol, hi alcohol and liver replacement (well not really but u pay shed loads more for the stronger stuff. They have a big problem with alcoholism there so I fit right in straight away.
There is a bar on the main drag cant remember the name (alcoholism remember) but they served the most wonderful chilli soup - it's opposite one of the department stores they have there.
There are also some good music bars.
I was there in May and that was a tad of a problem cos the Sun was up as it were. I went out to get fed before 9.00. I'd drink till 11.00 then wander out into the street and WOW its still light so I'd find another bar and drink on till ooh 12.30 then I'd wander out into the street and WOW its still light so I'd find night club and (remember this is PJT for me (Pre Jive Time)) completely fail to get noticed by anyone on the dance floor and come 2.00am totally dejected leave the night club and wander out into the street and WOW its still light but I'd be ****ed and need a bed. at which time it was lucky to still have ya room key with the address on as no-one can speak Finnish - it's a made up language like the swiss chef speaks on the muppets - so taxi's can be exciting.
Whilst in Rome do as the Romans do goes the old adage.
Whilst in Finland use public transport - it is brilliant.
The cleanest buses you will ever find in service anywhere i reckon - trains too although the time tables are in finnish so i was lucky to even get back to the city. Train tickets and bus tickets (this bit is great) are valid for a time period not a trip therefore buy a ticket and jump on and off as many as you can.
It's a very cosmopolitan town - indian, chinese, mexican tex-mex restaurants. I don't however remember any finnish ones. Although these could have been the more alcoholic nights i spent there.
Make sure you pay a reasonable amount for your room - low rates and they may be selling the room by the hour - if u know wot i mean harry?

God i'd love to go back.

But dont go in winter - they're all super depressed then. No daylight Bummer

Well have fun I did