PDA

View Full Version : accommodation in Washington DC?

Debster
28th-February-2005, 09:38 PM
OK, it's a long shot but here goes....

Does anyone have any recommendations for a B&B or cheap hotel/motel in Washington DC? Preferably quite central or easy to get public transport.

I've been doing some web searching but word of mouth is always better.

Any advice appreciated (even fave web sites).

Stuart
28th-February-2005, 11:16 PM
When I went to Washinton, which was nearly 10 years ago, I stayed in a place called the Harrington Hotel. I can't remember how much I payed for it, but by Washington standards it was fairly cheap. It was on 11th and E Streets, about 4 blocks from the White House and the Mall.

LilyB
1st-March-2005, 01:50 AM
Hi Debs

Have a look at this link. I'm afraid I can't recommend any hotel as I've never been to DC but this seems to be a useful site:

http://www.washingtonhotels.com/

Lily :flower:

Divissima
1st-March-2005, 10:29 AM
This advice is a few years old now but may still hold true. You want to make sure you are in the NW quadrant of the city. If you are downtown or towards Georgetown you will be in the safer parts of the District for wondering about at night. I'm afraid I only stayed in the International Youth Hostel then rented a room in a house while I was working there, so can't recommend a particular hotel.

It is such a great place - all those fantastic museums, great shopping, places to see.... I hope you have some time to explore.

Clive Long
1st-March-2005, 11:24 AM
No recommendation on accomodation from me but my one day and night I spent there ... GeorgeTown was pretty - I think that's where the politicos and lawyers and lobbyists live.

Just asked the girl working here (I'm old enough to say girl without it being too patronising) whose sister works in DC - she says look at GeorgeTown or Pennsylvania Avenue. The motel chains (HoJos etc.) are good value and Expedia is a good webSite for offers - always look for discounts or free days and if they don't say it, ASK.

When you go to the museums or the Capitol or the WhiteHouse check how you are going to get back to your accomodation. I WALKED from Jefferson Memorial to Washington Monument past the Smithsonian to the Capitol - and found I couldn't hail a cab to get back to my motel. Someone gave me a lift because she just luuuurved my accent (she though I was Australian :rolleyes: Americans).

I'd borrow a copy of USA Lonely Planet also.

Have a great time

HTH

Clive