PDA

View Full Version : Sticky Floors

Minnie M
25th-February-2005, 12:23 AM
I dread dancing on floors that are sticky etc., and have on several occasions came home with sore feet, :tears: aching limbs or actual injuries. :angry:

I have often thought of carrying talcum powder with me ‘just-in-case’ but felt it would only lead to white footprints on the carpet area :blush: , and the organiser would throw me out :eek:

Seriously though, is there anything you could put on your shoes ? Or do just not dance :tears:

drathzel
25th-February-2005, 12:43 AM
Does it matter? Just use your talc, the hall has been paid for for our certain use and if they are not going to have the hall cleaned for our use, then just make it suitable! :hug:

Clive Long
25th-February-2005, 12:48 AM
I dread dancing on floors that are sticky etc., and have on several occasions came home with sore feet, :tears: aching limbs or actual injuries. :angry:

I have often thought of carrying talcum powder with me ‘just-in-case’ but felt it would only lead to white footprints on the carpet area :blush: , and the organiser would throw me out :eek:

Seriously though, is there anything you could put on your shoes ? Or do just not dance :tears:

Sometime (A long time ago) at South Ken Casbah when the floor was unevenly sticky I saw Mike Ellard walking around with what looked like a cheese grater and a large bar of soap covering the sticky patches. It seemed to do the trick and I'd trust his judgement. If I go to Casbah tomorrow (shall I, shan't I? shall I, shan't I?) and the good Mr. E is teaching, I'll ask him.

Clive

Gary
25th-February-2005, 12:58 AM
Are you dancing with leather-soled shoes?

Minnie M
25th-February-2005, 01:01 AM
Are you dancing with leather-soled shoes?

No, haven't danced with leather-soled shoes for years now, either jazz (or trainers) with split sole shoes/boots or 'plastic' (not sure if it is really plastic) swivvel shoes

spindr
25th-February-2005, 01:01 AM
Hmmm, I'd be tempted to tell the organiser that the floor's not suitable for dancing -- presumably you should get a refund?

Well, I think Roger's previous post is a good enough reason: http://www.cerocscotland.com/forum/showpost.php?p=55132&postcount=22

I have seen tango dancers use silcone shoe polish not only on the uppers, but also on the soles of leather shoes, guess it might work on trainers -- just don't slip over.

SpinDr.

MartinHarper
25th-February-2005, 01:47 AM
On the other hand, dancing in hard leather at one dance in Kempsey was so fast that it felt like skating, and my knees started to ache by the end.
Also, it was hard to do travelling moves, as if I lead my partner in one direction, I tended to get pushed in the equal and opposite direction - Newtonian physics and all that.
However, it was a lot of fun, and next time I brought dance trainers instead. :)

----

The best solution to sticky floors is to lead. But I suppose it doesn't work if everyone has that idea....

Zebra Woman
25th-February-2005, 10:14 AM

Hi Minnie, I too get really sore knees as well as feet after dancing on a sticky floor. Some venues are reliably stciky and I always end up staggering to the car :tears: . I find trainers the hardest work on a sticky floor (mine are capezio, not the fastest trainers on the block). IMO The next best thing is a leather sole. One thing is even better...suede soles that have not been brushed and left to go shiny. They are so fast. :really:

The problem with sticky floors is they're usually dirty (is it dried up beer on the floor, or old polish?) so the soles of my shoes need a good scraping at the end of the night. Not very kind to suede soles. :(

I have used Mr Sheen and talc on my shoes , both worked but not a very long lasting effect.

You could glue a leather sole onto the bottom of your trainers, thus combining comfort and speed. Seen that done....

ZW :hug:

Minnie M
25th-February-2005, 10:19 AM
I have used Mr Sheen and talc on my shoes , both worked but not a very long lasting effect.

You could glue a leather sole onto the bottom of your trainers, thus combining comfort and speed. Seen that done....

Great tips, thanks :clap: have some rep :flower:

This is one of the reasons why I think the forum is so useful

El Salsero Gringo
25th-February-2005, 12:43 PM
I was once recommended to spray WD40 on the leather soles of my shoes - I think, counterintuitively, it's supposed to slow them down.

Of course, either way, it could just have been a comment on my dancing (!)

bobgadjet
25th-February-2005, 03:13 PM
mine are capezio, not the fastest trainers on the block)

ZW :hug:
That has got to be a play on words in there somewhere ! :innocent::flower:

Jooles
25th-February-2005, 03:41 PM
I made the mistake of wearing my trainers to the boat on Sunday. I've found in the past that the floor is very slippy on the boat and wearing heels the last time I went was a mistake as I felt as if I was teetering around on the dance floor. But this time the floor was really sticky and my trainers were really difficult to dance in.

There was one guy I danced with who thought I couldn't do a certain move and he kept giving me instructions. It was just too complicated during a dance to explain that I new what I should be doing with my feet, but my trainers were sticking to the floor and I couln't make them move properly.

On the positive side though, I'm trying to lose weight at the moment and the combination of a sticky floor and my non-slippery trainers really made me feel as though I'd had a bl**dy good work out.........and much more fun than a visit to the gym

Northants Girly
25th-February-2005, 03:50 PM
I have used silicone spray on the soles of my leather shoes - you know the stuff you spray on curtain tracks and drawers to get them moving again after they start sticking?
It works a treat - you can get it at most good ironmongers/DIY shops.

But the best thing I find is to take 2 pairs of dancing shoes out with me - one fast pair (like leather soled ones) and one slow pair - like my trainers.

philsmove
25th-February-2005, 03:50 PM
Does it matter? Just use your talc, the hall has been paid for for our certain use and if they are not going to have the hall cleaned for our use, then just make it suitable! :hug:

Yes it does mattter

An entire class was nearly permanently banned because of someone putting allegedly talc on a perfectly good floor

Lynn
25th-February-2005, 04:19 PM
But the best thing I find is to take 2 pairs of dancing shoes out with me - one fast pair (like leather soled ones) and one slow pair - like my trainers. I usually take more than one pair too. Drathzel will know that at our post Christmas party the floor was really sticky - its usually rather fast in that venue but it hadn't been cleaned properly. Nothing we could do on the night and I didn't like to complain as they had given us a reduced rate (but I did mention it when enquiring about another date and they apologised).

Opposite extreme - at a venue last weekend - wearing my trainers - the floor was too fast and I kept slipping - it really affected my concentration. The floor is usually fast, hence the trainers, but not that bad! I'm going to be there next Wed (going to be doing some MJ practice! :clap: ) so am wondering what to wear - would well brushed suede be better?

drathzel
25th-February-2005, 05:04 PM
Yes it does mattter

An entire class was nearly permanently banned because of someone putting allegedly talc on a perfectly good floor

Really? Thats scandalous! If you pay to have a floor/hall for a use the hirers should make the floor/ hall suitable for it! :mad:

Tiggerbabe
25th-February-2005, 08:24 PM
Really? Thats scandalous! If you pay to have a floor/hall for a use the hirers should make the floor/ hall suitable for it! :mad:
The problem is though, that the talc then is carried throughout the venue, the cleaners complain to their supervisors about having to sort it out once the party or class is finished and before long you've got the owner of the venue complaining to the franchisee and asking them to find another venue.

Also talc on the floor makes it like an ice rink, and you would then be responisble if some poor unsuspecting person fell and hurt themselves.

Like others have said, I take a few :wink: pairs of shoes with me with different types of sole - I seldom wear my trainers these days, although they're handy when the floor is too slippy :hug:

Lynn
25th-February-2005, 08:46 PM
I seldom wear my trainers these days, although they're handy when the floor is too slippy :hug: What about when its too slippy for trainers? :what:

Tiggerbabe
25th-February-2005, 08:59 PM
What about when its too slippy for trainers? :what:
Wear skates :wink:

drathzel
26th-February-2005, 07:37 PM
Nice shoes ZW.

To change the perspective a little.

Not long after I first started, I bought my first pair of dances shoes (yes, B&W's). Then my 2nd. Then all of a sudden, I had 8 different pairs.

And now, I dance in my £6 trainers from Tesco. And on anything other than the most sticky floors, find that they do me just fine...

Just thought i'd bring this across from the thread - "are black and white shoes scary"

:hug:

Sheepman
28th-February-2005, 02:53 PM
Sometime (A long time ago) at South Ken Casbah when the floor was unevenly sticky I saw Mike Ellard walking around with what looked like a cheese grater and a large bar of soap covering the sticky patches. It seemed to do the trick From what I remember, it was candle wax that was being grated onto the floor, and I thought the idea was to make a very fast floor much stickier. It certainly did that, and as well as stuffing my shoes up with wax, the stickiness was a major reason for me to stop going to the Casbah.

I haven't been for years now, so maybe someone will tell me it is different?

Greg