PDA

View Full Version : Moderating advertising

Dreadful Scathe
22nd-February-2005, 05:57 PM
moderator: ? why the edit? i only provided a link to the uk-jive site that Stephen got his info from!

Franck
22nd-February-2005, 06:06 PM
moderator: ? why the edit? i only provided a link to the uk-jive site that Stephen got his info from!Not sure what you mean DS, Stephen never mentioned uk-jive and the link I removed was only providing advertising.

As mentioned by Lindsay a while back, I have changed the advertising rules on the Forum, and removed commercial membership. I am trying to keep the Forum free of advertising (as much as possible). I appreciate that there will be a fine line between helping out a genuine query and plugging an event / organisation and I might occasionally get it wrong but I would personally rather have a discussion Forum than a spam filled group.

Minnie M
22nd-February-2005, 06:07 PM
When is an advert not an advert :confused:

If you do not have commercial status I can understand you not being able to advertise your own events BUT if you post details of another event does that class as advertising :confused: it appears many others have done just that :really: same goes with links :confused:

Very confusing :tears:

Lynn
22nd-February-2005, 06:12 PM
When is an advert not an advert :confused:

If you do not have commercial status I can understand you not being able to advertise your own events BUT if you post details of another event does that class as advertising :confused: it appears many others have done just that :really: same goes with links :confused:

Very confusing :tears: I for one have appreciated when some events have been mentioned by others, as it draws my attention to them when I am not 'on the ground' over there to see fliers, hear by word of mouth.

And if I post any news about any events in Belfast would that be 'advertising' since I am in a different country? (Though I would love it if any forumites feel like visiting!)

I agree about the need to be a discussion forum and not lots of adverts though - there is a NI salsa forum that I don't visit too often because so many of the posts are just adverts for events, not discussions.

Franck
22nd-February-2005, 06:14 PM
If you do not have commercial status I can understand you not being able to advertise your own events BUT if you post details of another event does that class as advertising :confused: it appears many others have done just that :really: same goes with links :confused: It's only confusing for the moment because anyone who paid for Commercial membership can still advertise their event (until their membership lapses), so currently, you still get advertising in the Forum.

Franck
22nd-February-2005, 06:23 PM
And if I post any news about any events in Belfast would that be 'advertising' since I am in a different country? (Though I would love it if any forumites feel like visiting!)

I agree about the need to be a discussion forum and not lots of adverts though - there is a NI salsa forum that I don't visit too often because so many of the posts are just adverts for events, not discussions.I agree with both sentiments, but ultimately decided to go for the second one. The Forum is already busy, and gets busier every day. If advertising was allowed, it would become unusable.
As I said in my original post, I'll try to walk that fine line with moderators, we might occasionally get it wrong, but if it looks like advertising, smells like advertising then it will be deleted.
Genuine queries will still be answered and hopefully, the Forum will provide useful information to its members. I would like this to continue and indeed not stifle discussion. Moderation will hopefully get lighter-touch if nobody abuses the system.

El Salsero Gringo
22nd-February-2005, 06:32 PM
Not wishing to rehash old themes, but how are you going to treat threads which begin with an advert like "Big Bash at .... venue next week" (put up by the promoter) then quickly become a Forumites' m*st*rb*t*ry love-in until the event and end with the thank-fest that we've come to know and enjoy so much?

Lynn
22nd-February-2005, 07:08 PM
I agree with both sentiments, but ultimately decided to go for the second one. The Forum is already busy, and gets busier every day. If advertising was allowed, it would become unusable.
As I said in my original post, I'll try to walk that fine line with moderators, we might occasionally get it wrong, but if it looks like advertising, smells like advertising then it will be deleted.
Genuine queries will still be answered and hopefully, the Forum will provide useful information to its members. I would like this to continue and indeed not stifle discussion. Moderation will hopefully get lighter-touch if nobody abuses the system. If it has to go one way or the other, then yes, discussion is what this forum is about. There are other sites that advertise and list events. I presume its OK for forumites to still talk about events they are going to (the 'who's going to...' type of threads) as that isn't advertising.

Lory
22nd-February-2005, 07:58 PM
I presume its OK for forumites to still talk about events they are going to (the 'who's going to...' type of threads)

I do hope so, :o I love getting all excited, knowing who going to be at certain events! :blush: :na:

Minnie M
22nd-February-2005, 08:04 PM
....... I presume its OK for forumites to still talk about events they are going to (the 'who's going to...' type of threads) as that isn't advertising.

:yeah: That to me is the confusing bit - as these threads are not usually started by the organiser or a commericial forumite, but still display full details of the event, advertising ?? yes / no :confused:

You and your team do a brilliant job Franck and it must be very difficult policing all the posts and I can see why you have decided to stop all suspect "adverts" - not complaining, just making comments

Thank you for your hard work :worthy: :hug: :kiss:

philsmove
22nd-February-2005, 09:46 PM
:yeah: That to me is the confusing bit - as these threads are not usually started by the organiser or a commericial forumite, but still display full details of the event, advertising ?? yes / no :confused:

You and your team do a brilliant job Franck and it must be very difficult policing all the posts and I can see why you have decided to stop all suspect "adverts" - not complaining, just making comments

Thank you for your hard work :worthy: :hug: :kiss:

:yeah: :yeah: :yeah:

Lynn
22nd-February-2005, 10:27 PM
I do hope so, :o I love getting all excited, knowing who going to be at certain events! :blush: :na: Me too! Especially as these events are my few real dancing opportunities throughout the year. Its so nice to look forward to them, and to meeting up with people I met before and putting some more faces to forum people. But its not 'advertising' - if we use the 'pub' analogy - someone coming into the pub and putting fliers on all the tables, without really even chatting much, is advertising...some regulars talking about who is going somewhere next month, isn't - its not the same IMO. And the bits in the middle are where the moderators come in :worthy:

jivecat
22nd-February-2005, 10:48 PM
Not wishing to rehash old themes, but how are you going to treat threads which begin with an advert like "Big Bash at .... venue next week" (put up by the promoter) then quickly become a Forumites' m*st*rb*t*ry love-in until the event and end with the thank-fest that we've come to know and enjoy so much?

I don't know, moaning whinge-buckets, *a**u*b**o** love-ins?
Shouldn't someone, somewhere be taking offence at this kind of robust & forthright remark? :rofl: :rofl:

bobgadjet
23rd-February-2005, 12:10 AM
personally, it seems clear to me that a link to a website or "advert" for an event is something quite different to "I'm going to .....venue next xxxxday"

The moderator, IMHO, does the job just right to take an ad link out, while leaving the excitable luvvys to get all wet kni**ered about who's going where.

:clap: :yeah:

ChrisA
23rd-February-2005, 12:37 AM
I do hope so, :o I love getting all excited, knowing who going to be at certain events! :blush: :na:
... :yeah:

while leaving the excitable luvvys to get all wet kni**ered about who's going where.Would it not be a great shame if everyone was so unexcitable that they didn't get WET KNICKERED (what is it with all these asterisks anyway???) about anything... ??

:whistle:

bobgadjet
23rd-February-2005, 12:43 AM
what is it with all these asterisks anyway???

:cheers:

is there a smiley to use in place of "asterisksksks" then ?

foxylady
23rd-February-2005, 12:52 AM
... :yeah:

Would it not be a great shame if everyone was so unexcitable that they didn't get WET KNICKERED (what is it with all these asterisks anyway???) about anything... ??

Ooooh Chris - I'd love to see you with wet knickers..... :wink:

Minnie M
23rd-February-2005, 12:54 AM
Originally Posted by Bob-rising-rapidly-up-the-DJ-A-List-Gadget

:clap: :worthy: :clap:

philsmove
23rd-February-2005, 02:07 AM
personally, it seems clear to me that a link to a website or "advert" for an event is something quite different to "I'm going to .....venue next xxxxday"

:clap: :yeah:

If you are new to MJ and the the forum
It can be frustrating when people are talking about XXXday
And you haven’t got a clue what event they are talking about
A link, is a quick way of letting new dances know what’s going on in the big wide world

bobgadjet
23rd-February-2005, 10:17 AM
If you are new to MJ and the the forum
It can be frustrating when people are talking about XXXday
And you haven’t got a clue what event they are talking about
A link, is a quick way of letting new dances know what’s going on in the big wide world
Fair point

But there are obviously those out there who would take any golden opportunity to plug their own event in this way, so I s'pose that's where our much respected moderators have their work really cut out.::

I'm just glad it's not my call :D

Zebra Woman
23rd-February-2005, 11:02 AM
Would it not be a great shame if everyone was so unexcitable that they didn't get WET KNICKERED (what is it with all these asterisks anyway???) about anything... ??

:yeah: It's great getting all exited , long may that continue :clap: :cheers: :kiss: :grin: .

In the past I have been concerned about mentioning certain events as I wasn't sure if they had paid commercial membership to the Forum, particularly if the event clashed with a Ceroc do. Now the playing field will be even. Which is a good thing IMO. When the commercial membership ceases then to compensate I think it would be a great if more members signed up for silver membership to support Franck's hard work. :clap: :cheers: :worthy:.

FWIW I don't think it would be practical to discuss dance on a Forum without mentioning where we are going dancing. That would just be MOIST KNICKER kinda talk.

ZW :flower:

bobgadjet
23rd-February-2005, 11:07 AM
FWIW I don't think it would be practical to discuss dance on a Forum without mentioning where we are going dancing. That would just be MOIST KNICKER kinda talk.

ZW :flower:
Always presuming knickers were worn in the first place ! ! ! :rofl:

After all, the VPL must be avoided at ALL costs :D

:flower:

Franck
23rd-February-2005, 12:01 PM
In the past I have been concerned about mentioning certain events as I wasn't sure if they had paid commercial membership to the Forum, particularly if the event clashed with a Ceroc do. Now the playing field will be even. Which is a good thing IMO. When the commercial membership ceases then to compensate I think it would be a great if more members signed up for silver membership to support Franck's hard work. :clap: :cheers: :worthy:. Of course we can discuss events and even (god forbid) be critical / or in praise of them. All the threads referred to above are totally acceptable.
Only threads where the intention is to promote / advertise will be removed and that includes 'seemingly' innocuous threads that are started by friends of the organizers.

I am all for everyone getting over-excited about all events and wanting to talk about them. So please don't stop! I also like the ************ love-ins and thank-fests, especially following our Scottish events :wink:

Dreadful Scathe
23rd-February-2005, 01:21 PM
Not sure what you mean DS, Stephen never mentioned uk-jive and the link I removed was only providing advertising.

Because of what he said, I suggested he got the information from uk-jive - anyone doing a google search on the same terms would have got the uk-jive site right away with all those venues listed. I'm 100% certain thats where he got the info from.

Andy McGregor
23rd-February-2005, 01:41 PM
After all, the VPL must be avoided at ALL costs :D

:flower:Perhaps a "V" level of moisture in the "P" might distract from the "L" :whistle:

P.S. Get your "P" from M&S or BHS - is that advertising?

El Salsero Gringo
23rd-February-2005, 01:44 PM
Only threads where the intention is to promote / advertise will be removed and that includes 'seemingly' innocuous threads that are started by friends of the organizers.

I am all for everyone getting over-excited about all events and wanting to talk about them. So please don't stop! I also like the ************ love-ins and thank-fests, especially following our Scottish events :wink:But these are two sides of the same threads!! Without even trying here are few recent examples:

Hammersmith T Dance (http://www.cerocscotland.com/forum/showthread.php?t=4343)
Twyford this Saturday (http://www.cerocscotland.com/forum/showthread.php?t=4680)
Are you ready for the 19th? (http://www.cerocscotland.com/forum/showthread.php?t=4711)
The Jitterbug Club, Edinburgh (http://www.cerocscotland.com/forum/showthread.php?t=3785)
Nortel is back (http://www.cerocscotland.com/forum/showthread.php?t=4691)

These are all recent threads started by the event promoters (possibly with commercial memberships) whose initial post qualifies as unashamed advertsising and which have turned (or doubtless will) into the dribbly drooly thanking-me thanking-you threads that everyone enjoys. Are they to continue, or not?

Sheepman
23rd-February-2005, 02:05 PM
Only threads where the intention is to promote / advertise will be removed and that includes 'seemingly' innocuous threads that are started by friends of the organizers. I still think there will always be a problem in sorting out the "hidden" advertising from the genuine. "I'm going here because I think it's great" type of post.

In my case, I'm obviously keen that the venues where I DJ should do well, but because I have that connection with the organisation (even though I have never been asked to make any promotional posts by any organisers) I feel it is an abuse of the current system to use the forum for promotion. But is it then OK to say something like, "Surbiton will be closed this Friday, as the venue is not available"? (NB this is not just an example, it is true for this Friday, Franck, please moderate as you think fit.) Because although you are highlighting that the event exists, it is hardly a case of telling people to go along to it!

I think the event that I have probably mentioned more regularly than any other, is one of my favourite dances which is at Great Bookham. Any mention of that is purely based on the fact that I enjoy it. Although the organiser is a friend, I'm not connected with it in any way, he doesn't need it to be promoted, because it is nearly always sold out in advance. It's not one that is frequented by many forumites, so it isn't going to get much of a mention by anyone else. (Unlike the Hammersmith t-dance).
I'm just trying to make the point about how obscure the dividing line can be.

Greg

Andy McGregor
23rd-February-2005, 02:20 PM
One other thing to consider is the person making the post. In this the usual pub comparison is useful. If a bunch of regulars are chatting about where they're going at the weekend it's a very different thing from someone who's rarely seen in that pub popping in to tell everyone about their own event.

The regulars would know the motivation of the irregular visitor and the landlord might not be very keen on someone coming into his/her pub to tell people about other places they could go drinking.

So, if regular posters on the forum were to discuss their plans for the weekend and mention events it would be the normal course of conversation and, IMHO, OK - even if the event was one they were putting on themselves*. However, if someone were to pop on here to post about their event and nothing else it should, IMHO, be seen as overt promotion and discouraged.

*My own opinion is that regular posters should able to mention their own events in a low-key way in exactly the same way as they might tell their friends in the pub that they've got something to sell that might interest them.

bobgadjet
23rd-February-2005, 02:23 PM
I still think there will always be a problem in sorting out the "hidden" advertising from the genuine. "I'm going here because I think it's great" type of post.
:yeah:

Although the organiser is a friend, I'm not connected with it in any way, he doesn't need it to be promoted, because it is nearly always sold out in advance. It's not one that is frequented by many forumites, so it isn't going to get much of a mention by anyone else. (Unlike the Hammersmith t-dance).

I'm just trying to make the point about how obscure the dividing line can be.

Does this mean that it's now going to be sold out much weller in advance, with more tickets being sold to more forumites? :D

bobgadjet
23rd-February-2005, 02:32 PM
One other thing to consider is the person making the post. In this the usual pub comparison is useful. If a bunch of regulars are chatting about where they're going at the weekend it's a very different thing from someone who's rarely seen in that pub popping in to tell everyone about their own event.

Must be your round then :whistle:

Gus
23rd-February-2005, 02:32 PM
But these are two sides of the same threads!! Without even trying here are few recent examples:

Hammersmith T Dance (http://www.cerocscotland.com/forum/showthread.php?t=4343)
Twyford this Saturday (http://www.cerocscotland.com/forum/showthread.php?t=4680)
Are you ready for the 19th? (http://www.cerocscotland.com/forum/showthread.php?t=4711)
The Jitterbug Club, Edinburgh (http://www.cerocscotland.com/forum/showthread.php?t=3785)
Nortel is back (http://www.cerocscotland.com/forum/showthread.php?t=4691)

These are all recent threads started by the event promoters (possibly with commercial memberships) whose initial post qualifies as unashamed advertising and which have turned (or doubtless will) into the dribbly drooly thanking-me thanking-you threads that everyone enjoys. Are they to continue, or not?
As someone who stumped up a fair amount of cash for commercial membership ... I must admit I'm disappointed in the number of people who have abused the system. Admittedly I paid over the hard earned cash mainly due to a large scale event that didn’t come to pass but have continued to use it to promote Cool Catz and Gorgeous Gus events ... BUT it appears that others have managed to do the same without paying a brass farthing ... not overly happy at that :(

Minnie M
23rd-February-2005, 02:35 PM
Silver membership has our forum name in bold - is there any way we can tell if a forumite has commerical status ??

Dreadful Scathe
23rd-February-2005, 02:36 PM
Has anyone done this ? I thought Franck deleted posts that were totally commercial if the person had not paid the commercial fee?

Clive Long
23rd-February-2005, 02:36 PM
I have no problem with people "advertising" - if there was a "What's on" section. You could read or ignore the contents as you wish. If you don't post event "adverts" in there then it's deleted.

I accept that the money raised by people subscribing probably in no way compensates the "team" for the time they put in to making this forum service available. So I accept their judgement as to what is acceptable in terms of content.

You want to participate in the forum you are subject to the moderators judgement. If you are unhappy with their judgement then don't participate

Franck will be busy policing this ad-ban - I just saw another shameless plug pop up 5 minutes ago - I wouldn't want the drudge of trawling through posts and trying to arbitrate on whether they were advertising or not.

Clive

Gadget
23rd-February-2005, 02:44 PM
How about allowing such advertising in the "Social Events" area? If it appears anywhere else it either gets moved or deleted.

?

Lounge Lizard
23rd-February-2005, 02:49 PM
is the commercial membership still open?
how do I join it, so I can promote my events on the forum?

LL

Franck
23rd-February-2005, 02:52 PM
I still think there will always be a problem in sorting out the "hidden" advertising from the genuine. "I'm going here because I think it's great" type of post.I agree, it won't be easy, but much easier than the previous situation (from a moderator's perspective).
As El Salsero says, recent thread have been posted that were clearly advertising. Some were commercial members others just slipped through.

Ultimately the test for moderators / myself is: "Who benefits?"

If there is a clear benefit to forum members (like a new concept worth discussing, or a night closed at the last minute) then I would allow it. Otherwise, the advertising reference will be removed.
The 'End of February...' thread is a good example. Ceroc Jock invited everyone to tell him what was on for his visit down South. In that case the query was genuine (not planted as an excuse to mention events) and I'm happy to let everyone link / refer to their event as long as they stay within the original query.

Clive Long is right, this will initially increase the 'moderator load' and I'm currently recruiting more moderators to handle the extra work.

I would agree with Andy McGregor that organisers should be able to mention their events in a low key fashion, but would add that they do so only when relevant to the thread / question.

It's easy to get caught up in the marginal stuff, but in practise, only a few posts are edited / deleted in any week and usually the advertising intent is clear enough.

Franck
23rd-February-2005, 02:57 PM
is the commercial membership still open?
how do I join it, so I can promote my events on the forum?Nope, I have removed the Commercial membership options, and decided to remove all advertising from the Forum.

If you wish to promote an event, I suggest you use uk-jive, Lynda's list or other such websites that do a fantastic job at promoting all dance classes / events in the UK. The Ceroc Scotland Forum will remain as a 'discussion' Forum.

Divissima
23rd-February-2005, 03:04 PM
But these are two sides of the same threads!! Without even trying here are few recent examples:

Hammersmith T Dance
Twyford this Saturday
Are you ready for the 19th?
The Jitterbug Club, Edinburgh
Nortel is back

These are all recent threads started by the event promoters (possibly with commercial memberships) whose initial post qualifies as unashamed advertising and which have turned (or doubtless will) into the dribbly drooly thanking-me thanking-you threads that everyone enjoys. Are they to continue, or not?

And then Gus said:

As someone who stumped up a fair amount of cash for commercial membership ... I must admit I'm disappointed in the number of people who have abused the system. Admittedly I paid over the hard earned cash mainly due to a large scale event that didn’t come to pass but have continued to use it to promote Cool Catz and Gorgeous Gus events ... BUT it appears that others have managed to do the same without paying a brass farthing ... not overly happy at that Just to clarify this issue, I would like to make it clear that Toby and I took out full annual commercial membership in order to be able to promote the T-jive, Jango and Toby's DJing/music activities. We felt very strongly that we wanted to support Franck and the Forum and were more than happy to pay the subscription.

Gus
23rd-February-2005, 03:11 PM
And then Gus said:

Just to clarify this issue, I would like to make it clear that Toby and I took out full annual commercial membership in order to be able to promote the T-jive, Jango and Toby's DJing activities. We felt very strongly that we wanted to support Franck and the Forum and were more than happy to pay the subscription.Abject apolgies if I (inadvertantly) cast doubts upon your marketing ... I was rambling and making a general statement and didnt actualy look at what threads had been referred to :blush: :blush:

El Salsero Gringo
23rd-February-2005, 03:15 PM
Just to be quite clear - I was taking no-one to task for posting outside of their membership privileges. (How could I? - there's no way I could know what sort of membership they had.)

However, all these threads were well subscribed indicating that many people appreciated and enjoyed contributing to them. I only wanted to point out that if the new policy - which is that posts such as the ones that kicked off these threads are unacceptable - had been in place at the time, these threads might never have happened. And the Forum might be the poorer for that.

Obviously it's Franck's decision - and I respect that. The Forum runs the way he decides.

Divissima
23rd-February-2005, 03:20 PM
Abject apolgies if I (inadvertantly) cast doubts upon your marketing ... I was rambling and making a general statement and didnt actualy look at what threads had been referred to :blush: :blush:

Don't be daft :hug: no apology needed, just wanted to clarify though :flower:

Franck
23rd-February-2005, 03:20 PM
Just to clarify this issue, I would like to make it clear that Toby and I took out full annual commercial membership in order to be able to promote the T-jive, Jango and Toby's DJing/music activities. We felt very strongly that we wanted to support Franck and the Forum and were more than happy to pay the subscription.Absolutely, Jango / T-Jive have paid up for Commercial membership for a year and as such can advertise (as can Gus). The above threads had all joined and as such were allowed to advertise. As membership expires, they won't be able to extend it, so gradually the Forum will see less and less advertising.

I will also look into identifying 'Commercial' operators on the 'Members List' so they won't need to register their interests as suggested in a thread recently.

Divissima
23rd-February-2005, 03:24 PM
I will also look into identifying 'Commercial' operators on the 'Members List' so they won't need to register their interests as suggested in a thread recently.Good idea...

TheTramp
23rd-February-2005, 03:40 PM
I will also look into identifying 'Commercial' operators on the 'Members List' so they won't need to register their interests as suggested in a thread recently.

Divissima is not a member of any public groups
Isn't that the sort of thing that this could be used for.

Though, it might not be visible enough, as I guess you'd have to go into the persons profile to use it. Maybe any groups you belong to, could be shown in the information box on the left of your posts?

Dreadful Scathe
23rd-February-2005, 03:58 PM
I think the uk-jive site is fairly unbiased, which is partly why I was surprised Franck took my link away.

It does represent any form of jive but any google search on jive will bring it up anyway - so I would suggest that Forum members work more closely with Uk-jive to make it as accurate as possible. uk-jive is clearly in it for the benefit of dancers not its own agenda. I would even suggest the uk-jive become the semi-official advertising site we refer to - it already links back here as the place to discuss dance !

Franck : any thoughts on this ?

Franck
23rd-February-2005, 04:13 PM
Franck : any thoughts on this ?Not particularly no, I think uk-jive provides a great service especially as I know the amount of work it involves. I am especially a fan of their gps satnav points of interests as I use them regularly.

As I said, I have decided to stay outside of the advertising / listing market, and I'm happy that others handle that side.

With reference to the removal of your link, you did not link to uk-jive, but to a specific advertiser page, which was as good as providing a direct link. Hence the removal.

Minnie M
23rd-February-2005, 04:17 PM
I think the uk-jive site is fairly unbiased, which is partly why I was surprised Franck took my link away.

It does represent any form of jive but any google search on jive will bring it up anyway - so I would suggest that Forum members work more closely with Uk-jive to make it as accurate as possible. uk-jive is clearly in it for the benefit of dancers not its own agenda. I would even suggest the uk-jive become the semi-official advertising site we refer to - it already links back here as the place to discuss dance

I have no problem with this - an excellant site, especially for news, and events north of Watford, BTW UK-Jive does have a commercial side to it, by virtue of that it can not be completely impartial.

Jive Hive's list IMO, is an excellant site which is completely free to organisers and even though their own events are highlighted, it is very comprehensive and AFAIK impartial.

My list concentrates on most partnered dances from London and further south and does not concentrate on just Modern Jive, therefore has more selection.

So, I would think it should be up to the dancer which list they choose to use, or maybe use all of them.

Minnie M
23rd-February-2005, 06:55 PM
Am I right in thinking forumites who have their names in italics have commercial status :cool:

Dreadful Scathe
23rd-February-2005, 09:22 PM
Am I right in thinking forumites who have their names in italics have commercial status :cool:
No, people in italics are 'dodgy' in some way and should be watched carefully :)

philsmove
23rd-February-2005, 10:19 PM
Jive Hive's and uk jive are both excellent sites and although easily found on goggle, I became aware of them through this forum

So a big thank you to frank, for helping me realising there is more to MJ than my local class

Dreadful Scathe
24th-February-2005, 12:03 AM
With reference to the removal of your link, you did not link to uk-jive, but to a specific advertiser page, which was as good as providing a direct link. Hence the removal.

Fair enough, I thought it was a uk-jive page I had linked to. Very sorry.

On an advertising note though, I cant find any info anywhere about the Ceroc Scotland Competition !?

Gadget
24th-February-2005, 12:11 AM
No, people in italics are 'dodgy' in some way and should be watched carefully :)
Note that Franck's not italic yet :D :wink:

DavidY
24th-February-2005, 12:20 AM
I will also look into identifying 'Commercial' operators on the 'Members List' so they won't need to register their interests as suggested in a thread recently.There's an obscure link at the bottom of the forum home page called "View Forum Leaders (http://www.cerocscotland.com/forum/showgroups.php?)". This does show you (amongst other things) who has commercial membership.

I believe this has shown who had commercial membership for some time as I discovered it some weeks ago.

ChrisA
24th-February-2005, 12:54 AM
Ooooh Chris - I'd love to see you with wet knickers..... :wink:
Anyone's in particular? :innocent:

Tiggerbabe
24th-February-2005, 12:59 AM
On an advertising note though, I cant find any info anywhere about the Ceroc Scotland Competition !?
http://cerocscotland.com/forum/showpost.php?p=98990&postcount=12
there you go smurfy :hug:

Tiggerbabe
24th-February-2005, 01:05 AM
There's an obscure link at the bottom of the forum home page called "View Forum Leaders (http://www.cerocscotland.com/forum/showgroups.php?)". This does show you (amongst other things) who has commercial membership.

I believe this has shown who had commercial membership for some time as I discovered it some weeks ago.
As Franck has already stated those people who have commercial membership can continue to advertise until their membership expires.

There are other "Commercial Operators" on the forum, and Franck is looking for a way to identify these members.

foxylady
24th-February-2005, 01:13 AM
Anyone's in particular? :innocent:

Yours sweetie :hug: perhaps on saturday in twyford ??

T xx

ChrisA
24th-February-2005, 01:21 AM
Yours sweetie :hug: perhaps on saturday in twyford ??

Well, that's not down, or should I say up, just to me :devil:

foxylady
24th-February-2005, 01:32 AM
Well, that's not down, or should I say up, just to me :devil:

ooh a challenge - goodie !!

DavidY
24th-February-2005, 09:03 AM
As Franck has already stated those people who have commercial membership can continue to advertise until their membership expires.

There are other "Commercial Operators" on the forum, and Franck is looking for a way to identify these members.Indeed - I hadn't spotted that Franck was talking about other "Commercial-operators-who-haven't-paid" as distinct from people who've paid for with Commercial membership. (And you can see both types on the "Forum Leaders" link.)

I was really trying to answer El Salsero's point:
Just to be quite clear - I was taking no-one to task for posting outside of their membership privileges. (How could I? - there's no way I could know what sort of membership they had.)There does seem to be a way to identify who's paid, but I was assuming some people hadn't found the link yet.

Sorry for the confusion... :blush:

Tiggerbabe
24th-February-2005, 10:35 AM
Indeed - I hadn't spotted that Franck was talking about other "Commercial-operators-who-haven't-paid" as distinct from people who've paid for with Commercial membership. (And you can see both types on the "Forum Leaders" link.)
It's a work in progress :wink:

And don't apologise, I'm always grateful (and I'm sure many others are too) for the links and tips that are suggested by forumites :hug:

Minnie M
24th-February-2005, 10:38 AM
.........There are other "Commercial Operators" on the forum, and Franck is looking for a way to identify these members.

Commercial operators = italics ?

Tiggerbabe
24th-February-2005, 11:14 AM
They were yesterday Minnie, but it's not definite yet that this will be how they are identified (and indeed only some have been changed at the moment) Franck is still working on the best way to do this and so things might look different each time you log on to the forum. :nice:

Andy McGregor
24th-February-2005, 11:32 AM
Commercial operators = italics ?Hey, I've come over all italicised!
It's quite nice being on a slant. Although I'm not sure about the line under my name. I know it's accurate, but "Commercial Operator" has a certain negative ring to it. It seems to say that my posts will now be of a commercial nature - which (all but one about Nigel's MJ teachers training course, which Franck moderated) they have never been. At least not intentionally. I'm certain I've mentioned "Commercial Operators" like Franco's events, Hipsters and Camber, more than any I've put on myself.

On the other hand, I think it's useful to make people's nature very clear on here. But can we have another name, or even choose one for ourself? I think it's the word "commercial", that word is so often used in a negative way, "we closed the branch Post Office for commercial reasons", "we've made a commercial decision and the factory is being relocated to Korea", etc. How about "Dance Organiser"?