PDA

View Full Version : What dance is this?

Lynn
22nd-February-2005, 04:32 PM
I'm hoping some other forumites can help me with a query...

I was at a class this weekend - it is advertised as 'Chassis Jive' and was being taught to quite R'n'R music, but it wasn't R'n'R. I wondered if anyone can help me in identifying it...

We were taught the basic step as triple step (to the right), triple step (to the left), rock step (back on right) (that's the woman's steps, man doing mirror). Then a turn where you turn under mans left hand on the triples out to the mans left side, step back on the rock, turn back on the first triple and back to face the man for the second triple and rock step.

From that (possibly not very clear!) description, can anyone give me more info? (I tried a web search but only reference I could find to chassis jive was this class and another class in Ireland).

Sparkles
22nd-February-2005, 04:36 PM
Sound very similar to ballroom jive to me.

El Salsero Gringo
22nd-February-2005, 04:39 PM
Or Lindy Hop. Did the dancers do it in the "squatting on a potty while holding an exercise ball" stance?

On the other hand, looking at one of the websites you mention which includes this quote: "The chassis jive is the only jive used in competitive or professional dance." and lists it along side Cha Cha, Rumba and Samba under Latin Dances, I'd say Sparkles was right.

Chef
22nd-February-2005, 04:42 PM
Hello Lynn

It sounds to me to be exactly the same as the footwork for Ballroom Jive or six count lindy hop basic step. I think that the word you heard as "Chassis" should be "Chasse" with an accent on the last e and is the french word used in ballet and ballroom to mean a step where you step to the side, close the feet together, and then step to the side again (all in the same direction) and this is the motion that we in the MJ world would know as a triple step.

The only time that I have seen dancing at a rock and roll club my impression of it was that it was ballroom jive but without the triple steps (or Chasse).

I hope that this is all 100% correct and helpful for you.

Happy Dancing

TheTramp
22nd-February-2005, 04:42 PM
Are you sure it's not the name of the organisation Lynn??

People in the NW refer to the dance as "Blitz Jive". For example...

Lynn
22nd-February-2005, 04:53 PM
Are you sure it's not the name of the organisation Lynn??

People in the NW refer to the dance as "Blitz Jive". For example... Positive! NI isn't that big you know! I know the teacher, he mainly teaches salsa (he is a fantastic salsa dancer) but I'm not sure where he has picked this up.

Rhythm King
22nd-February-2005, 04:54 PM
No it is actually chassis jive, as listed here (http://salsaireland.net/jive.php) . It's not Lindy Hop, the figures of which start with a rock step, rather than finishing with one, and which incidentally, do not require scatological contortions. There are no listings on the web for chasse(e) jive that I could find, as I looked for that first!

Lynn
22nd-February-2005, 05:01 PM
Hello Lynn

It sounds to me to be exactly the same as the footwork for Ballroom Jive or six count lindy hop basic step. I think that the word you heard as "Chassis" should be "Chasse" with an accent on the last e and is the french word used in ballet and ballroom to mean a step where you step to the side, close the feet together, and then step to the side again (all in the same direction) and this is the motion that we in the MJ world would know as a triple step.

Thanks. I haven't done ballroom jive, but I thought it might be that, (it did also remind me of the (one) Lindy class that I went to on a weekender). I just wondered as the guy teaching it isn't what I would think of as a ballroom person and I haven't come across him teaching any other ballroom dances, he teaches Salsa, La Rueda and Arg Tango. Not sure where I could actually dance it socially...

The mis-spelling of Chasse would be a reason why I can't find it on any web searches.

He wasn't teaching it as 'triple step' - that's just how it seemed easier to me to describe it (and learn it)

Anyone any suggestions for ways it can help me learn other swing dances/MJ?

Minnie M
22nd-February-2005, 05:15 PM
No it is actually chassis jive, as listed here (http://salsaireland.net/jive.php) . It's not Lindy Hop, the figures of which start with a rock step, rather than finishing with one, and which incidentally, do not require scatological contortions. There are no listings on the web for chasse(e) jive that I could find, as I looked for that first!

Copied and pasted from the link above :-

Dance, remember, it's not what you do, but how you do it. So lets have 80% attitude and 20% technique :clap: :clap:

I reckon the dance is East Coast Swing, sometimes confused with Jitterbugs which is what this web page is about (I think :confused: )

Lynn
22nd-February-2005, 05:20 PM
No it is actually chassis jive, as listed here (http://salsaireland.net/jive.php) . But that is the other local guy who is teaching something similiar (I haven't actually been to his classes but know of him). His classes are also listed on the first site. Unless this is a 'Northern Ireland two teacher variety of jive taught by people who also teach salsa' - which is possible I suppose!

So conclusion is ballroom jive?

Lynn
22nd-February-2005, 05:22 PM
Copied and pasted from the link above :-

:clap: :clap:

I reckon the dance is East Coast Swing, sometimes confused with Jitterbugs which is what this web page is about (I think :confused: ) I guess I'd better head along to one of Bill's evenings and see what he is doing (that's they guy who has that web page)

Lynn
22nd-February-2005, 05:24 PM
I guess I'd better head along to one of Bill's evenings and see what he is doing (that's they guy who has that web page) I notice it also says "The chassis jive is the only jive used in competitive or professional dance." - presume this is also referring to ballroom - but he was also referring to Rock'n'Roll in the previous para, are there no R'n'R dance competitions at all?

Andreas
22nd-February-2005, 10:48 PM
My guess is also just generic ballroom jive. However, in NZ a lot of the R'n'Rollies were actually jiving. So maybe you had an NZ teacher :rofl:

Little Monkey
22nd-February-2005, 10:58 PM
Sounds like East Coast Swing to me, too...

At least that's what it's called in Norway, where I danced it, where it's also known as "Country Swing" for some unknown reason......

Little Monkey

Lynn
22nd-February-2005, 10:58 PM
It's not Lindy Hop, the figures of which start with a rock step, rather than finishing with one Thought I remembered that from my one and only Lindy class, see, I was taking it all in (despite those late nights in the blues room!)

Minnie M
22nd-February-2005, 11:33 PM
.......... are there no R'n'R dance competitions at all?

ahaaaaa............ there are definitely R'n'R competitions, in fact Mr. & Mrs. B are champs at it :worthy: [UK Rock'n'Roll (Acrobatic) Champions]

Verdict is either East Coast Swing or more likely to be Ballroom Jive

Lynn
22nd-February-2005, 11:49 PM
ahaaaaa............ there are definitely R'n'R competitions, in fact Mr. & Mrs. B are champs at it :worthy: [UK Rock'n'Roll (Acrobatic) Champions] Yeah, I knew that bit on that website must be wrong!

Verdict is either East Coast Swing or more likely to be Ballroom Jive I emailed someone who does this class and ballroom and he said its like ballroom and he'll show me the difference next time we dance. Ah well, its fun whatever, and I did get to dance a bit with the teacher which I would be scared to if it was salsa (as he's very good at salsa :worthy: ) And I'm sure I will learn things that will improve my MJ.

Demota
23rd-February-2005, 01:13 AM
Starting on the triple step in six-count moves is neither here nor there as the next eight-count bar will start with the rock step - or vice versa. Best check with Lindsay from the Jitterbug Club for an opinion on this.

Little Monkey
23rd-February-2005, 11:18 AM
EAST COAST SWING!

Honest!

LM

Dance Demon
23rd-February-2005, 12:02 PM
Was doing Ballroom jive at our Saturday Ballroom class at the weekend Lynn, and what you describe is almost identical. There are a few dances that have a 6 beat pattern. Boogie Woogie starts off with the rock step followed by two sets of triple step. Six beat Lindy is usually tought this way too. Ballroom jive starts with the two sets of triples followed by the rock step, and the turns are as you have described. Have never done East Coast swing so can't comment on that, but Ballroom jive sounds like the most likely answer. Some teachers take a style then call it something else to create interest. One Edinburgh Leroc teacher started advertising his classes as "Edinburgh Jive" for a while :what:

Minnie M
23rd-February-2005, 12:10 PM
IMO the main difference between Ballroom Jive and ECS is that BJ is bouncy - ECS is often compared with RnR and/or a 6 beat version of Lindy,(like basic Lindy without the fancy bits :whistle: )

Where is The Oracle when you need him :sad:

MartinHarper
23rd-February-2005, 12:22 PM
I wasn't aware that ECS was taught in the UK. Don't suppose there are any teachers near me?

Sparkles
23rd-February-2005, 12:29 PM
Where is The Oracle when you need him :sad:

:yeah: :yeah: :yeah:
Please, Mr David, Sir, put us out of our misery :worthy: :flower:

alex
23rd-February-2005, 12:49 PM
Please, Mr David, Sir, put us out of our miseryHe already did

http://www.cerocscotland.com/forum/showthread.php?t=854

Minnie M
23rd-February-2005, 12:50 PM
I wasn't aware that ECS was taught in the UK. Don't suppose there are any teachers near me?

I am sure that James & Bridget are capable of teaching it, you could always asked them about it.

Thanks Alex just seen post above - I've cut and pasted part David's post

East Coast Swing is a more generic term for styles of swing dance that are based on a side-step/side-step/rock-step action. (eg traditional Rock'n'Roll, jitterbug, 6-count lindy etc.) It can be done as a single step, a tap-step, a step-tap, or a triple step. It is called East Coast Swing to differentiate it from West Coast Swing.

Lynn
23rd-February-2005, 02:43 PM
Thanks Alex just seen post above - I've cut and pasted part David's post And to add to that also from that post of David's

Ballroom Jive is just a particular style of East Coast Swing. Being a Ballroom dance, there is a very defined timing, style and syllabus.
Thanks everyone for the helpful comments - its been interesting! I can't get along to the class this weekend, but will go again next week and see what they are doing in terms of turns etc.

Now has anyone got any advice about music for this? Would there be music suitable for both this ballroom/ECS and MJ? (I'm thinking in terms of getting together with teachers to run a joint night).