PDA

View Full Version : Shall we dance!

cheeks
20th-February-2005, 07:33 PM
Hey guys just to let anyone know a group of us are all going to see
Shall we dance at the UGC , Camperdown, Dundee tonight if anyone is at a loose end and fancies it film starts at 8.20. So we are meeting there 7.45-8pm.

:hug:

Cheeks. :flower:

Andy McGregor
20th-February-2005, 09:44 PM
Sue and I just got in from seeing it in Brighton with the children. We loved it :clap:

The sequins, the glitter, the feathers, the fake tan :waycool:

Lory
20th-February-2005, 09:52 PM
Just home from seeing it and I absolutely loved it!! :clap: :clap: :clap:

It's full of 'cheese' in the best possible sense and it's a long time since I've been in a cinema where the audience clapped! :na:

I felt excited, laughed and even shed an elated tear at the end but then again, I'm soppy like that! :blush: :o

Andreas
20th-February-2005, 11:59 PM
I watched mid January and quite enjoyed it. Stil, I need to see the original one as that has more of a background story.

I did like their routines, they were obviously choreographed for the competition music and were a very nice interpretation.

Maxx
21st-February-2005, 12:37 AM
Sorry I missed out Cheeksy, couldn't make it. :tears:
Maybe you can show me what happened :wink:

Dance Demon
21st-February-2005, 06:53 AM
Went to see this on Saturday night with some other Edinburgh dancers. Thought it was great and very funny in parts :D ......Jennifer Lopez... :drool: :drool: :drool: ..........and doesnt Richard Gere look just a bit like John Lusby?......well I thought so, though he doesn't dance as well as JL :wink:

cheeks
21st-February-2005, 10:04 AM
Wow what a fab film and Richard Gere was mm..................mm :drool: :wink: as always I think he looks better with age. Jennifer Lopez looked fantastic. :clap:

Totally agree Lory lots of cheese but in a good way. :wink:

Maxx unsure about the showing you! think I will just have to go watch it again just to give you oportunity to see, Sheena didn't make it either so we can sort something out................................ :flower:

I'm sure I could :drool: over Richard Gere for another couple of hours just for you both... :whistle: :rofl:

Cheeks :flower:

Sheepman
21st-February-2005, 04:39 PM
A group of us went to see it the other night, and we were giggling nearly all the way through, (maybe the wine helped!) apart from the bits where there were tears, of course.
Quite a different feel to it from the Japanese original, (though I need to see that again to remind myself), and although you may have to suspend belief for a while, it is excellent fun.
I know little of ballroom dancing, but I'm assured that J. Lo was excellent, she certainly looked good :whistle:
Some good music on the soundtrack too...

Greg

Andreas
21st-February-2005, 04:47 PM
but I'm assured that J. Lo was excellent, she certainly looked good :whistle:

she moves nicely but I did not like her over-done emotions and she actually hardly ever closed her feet in the dances :whistle:

Sorry, I just had to spoil it :rofl: :flower:

But to be honest, they did not do a bad job of it all.

Wendy
21st-February-2005, 04:47 PM
Went to see it last night.. fab !!!

As a film it was a bit cheesy and the "Officer and a Gentleman" moment was a bit of deja vu but it was sooo enjoyabe cos I know what a lot of that stuff feels like now .. the comps... the desire to dance (even if the old body and talent are less like Ms Lopez' and a little closer to Bobbi's :tears: ) ...that guy you just click with.... sigh....

Wx

Lory
21st-February-2005, 04:50 PM
Some good music on the soundtrack too...

Greg
You can listen to samples here! (http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/tg/detail/-/B0006213IU/104-2950402-7127969?v=glance#product-details) :)

I love Santa Maria - Gotan project :drool:

Tiggerbabe
21st-February-2005, 04:58 PM
I love Santa Maria - Gotan project :drool:
which Franck played the other week in Perth, you shoulda been here Lorry :wink: :hug: :kiss:
(I prefer "Whatever Lola Wants" myself )

Sparkles
21st-February-2005, 05:00 PM
she moves nicely but I did not like her over-done emotions and she actually hardly ever closed her feet in the dances :whistle:

Sorry, I just had to spoil it :rofl: :flower:

But to be honest, they did not do a bad job of it all.

She had few heel leads too (though I do wonder if ol' Mr Gere was a bit tall for her). I did, however, think that she did a particularly good job :clap: seeing as most film stars that try and ballroom dance don't have a clue what they're doing.
And (I'm going to get flamed for this) I was particularly impressed as I had just seen the dance routiens of Natasha and Brendan from their Strictly Dancing DVD :eek: - I'm sorry, but she's terrible! Her posture and foot work were atrocious, and she didn't even seem to know her routiens properly. Advice: do not buy that DVD! :angry:

Katie
21st-February-2005, 05:10 PM
And (I'm going to get flamed for this) I was particularly impressed as I had just seen the dance routiens of Natasha and Brendan from their Strictly Dancing DVD :eek: - I'm sorry, but she's terrible! Her posture and foot work were atrocious, and she didn't even seem to know her routiens properly. Advice: do not buy that DVD! :angry:

I didn't think Natasha was that good when she performed in the Strictly Come Dancing final, particularly when comparing her with Jill who looks so polished! She looks wooden and Brendan seems to be pulling her around the dance floor. They won the best TV moment for their performance of 'I've had the time of my life' on some award show on BBC1 which I didn't understand either!

Sheepman
21st-February-2005, 06:15 PM
she didn't even seem to know her routiens properly. I struggle with understanding my "routiens" too!! :devil:
Although Natasha may well have been the cream of the first SCD crop, I was surprised on seeing this DVD how unprofessional the whole thing seemed. If there was money to be made from it, then more time and effort should have been put into it. Would anyone want an instructional DVD from someone who's only recently started dancing? OK, perhaps that wasn't it's main aim, but if it was purely for entertainment, then as Sparkles says
Advice: do not buy that DVD! "Burn The Floor" it isn't!!

Greg

Little Monkey
21st-February-2005, 08:10 PM
she moves nicely but I did not like her over-done emotions But to be honest, they did not do a bad job of it all.

:yeah:

Good film, very funny, and surprisingly good dancing! Just a shame JLo can't act.... What was all the heavy breathing all about??? (And I don't mean after she'd been dancing and was out of breath!) Cheeks nearly killed me when I said I thought the film was a bit on the soppy side...! :rofl:

Giggled my way through most of the film, though! :D

LM

Andreas
21st-February-2005, 09:10 PM
She had few heel leads too (though I do wonder if ol' Mr Gere was a bit tall for her). I did, however, think that she did a particularly good job :clap: seeing as most film stars that try and ballroom dance don't have a clue what they're doing.

Hehehe, funny how obvious these things are in Ballroom/Latin eh? :D

Yes, she is a nice dancer and did a very good job of it as opposed to other movies!

Chicklet
21st-February-2005, 10:46 PM
just back from it...came out to a blizzard but was all warm inside :drool:

one question, did anyone tell the movie company that they could have had Bill instead of Richard for probably about 1/2 the price????????????? :wink:

cheeks
22nd-February-2005, 01:31 AM
Cheeks nearly killed me when I said I thought the film was a bit on the soppy side...! :rofl:

Me never! :whistle: :innocent:

giggled my way through most of the film, though! :D

LM

She didn't really LM was in :tears: we have witness to prove this................ :yeah:
and I'll don't know where you've been........in the bloody cinema with you :rofl: must have been all the time you were wiping away those tears. :rofl:

Little Monkey
22nd-February-2005, 02:02 PM
Me never! :whistle: :innocent:

She didn't really LM was in :tears: we have witness to prove this................ :yeah:
and I'll don't know where you've been........in the bloody cinema with you :rofl: must have been all the time you were wiping away those tears. :rofl:

I deny it! It was David who was in tears, not me!!! He was lying about me! Honest!!!!!!!

LM

Rhythm King
22nd-February-2005, 02:40 PM
I struggle with understanding my "routiens" too!! :devil:
Although Natasha may well have been the cream of the first SCD crop, I was surprised on seeing this DVD how unprofessional the whole thing seemed. If there was money to be made from it, then more time and effort should have been put into it. Would anyone want an instructional DVD from someone who's only recently started dancing? OK, perhaps that wasn't it's main aim, but if it was purely for entertainment, then as Sparkles says "Burn The Floor" it isn't!!

Greg
:yeah:

Glad I haven't bought it, but I have lent my "Burn The Floor" to someone who has!
Really enjoyed "Shall We Dance", I wanted to see it, in spite of mediocre reviews and giggled (ok, and sniffed :blush: ) all the way through. I'll be ordering the Japanese original, which is out on dvd at the end of the month. I shall be interested the hear the opinions of those better qualified than me, in regard to the dancing in that, at some point.

R-K

Wendy
22nd-February-2005, 05:25 PM
one question, did anyone tell the movie company that they could have had Bill instead of Richard for probably about 1/2 the price????????????? :wink:You saying it WASN'T Bill Foreman in that dance scene ???!!! Funny ... I could have sworn that was me and Bill up there !!! lol...

Wxxx

skippy
22nd-February-2005, 10:00 PM
I deny it! It was David who was in tears, not me!!! He was lying about me! Honest!!!!!!!

LM

Remember we were all there!!! :rofl: Watching!!!! :rofl: :rofl:
from the other side of the Auditorium!!!! :whistle:

I just came out saying ""I NEED A PARTNER, I want to dance in a Comp !! NOW""
:sad: :wink: :tears:

cheeks
22nd-February-2005, 10:50 PM

I just came out saying ""I NEED A PARTNER, I want to dance in a Comp !! NOW""
:sad: :wink: :tears:

Yes we were all there.......... :D

you're not getting out of that one, had to give you tissue to wipe aways those tears..................... :wink:
:whistle: and yes Little Monkey now we know why you sat other sie of auditorium..................................... :whistle: to hide those :tears:

:rofl:

Little Monkey
22nd-February-2005, 10:50 PM

Hah..... Didn't see any of you until the film was finished and the lights came on.... So you saw NOTHING!

And stop that annoying whistling............. :rolleyes:

LM - also desperately looking for a dance partner....... Jive, that is......

Little Monkey
22nd-February-2005, 10:52 PM
Yes we were all ther she's not getting out of that one had to give her tissue to wipe aways those tears.....................and yes Little Monkey now we know why you sat other sie of auditorium..................................... :whistle: to hide those :tears:

:rofl:

:rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl:

Yes, ok, it was just such a sad film........ NOT! Soppysoppysoppysoppy! (You going to hit me again now?? :D )

LM

cheeks
22nd-February-2005, 10:54 PM
LM - also desperately looking for a dance partner....... Jive, that is......

What other kind of partner is there :whistle: :whistle: :whistle: :whistle: :whistle: :whistle: :whistle: :whistle: :whistle: :whistle:

Little Monkey
22nd-February-2005, 11:00 PM
What other kind of partner is there :whistle: :whistle: :whistle: :whistle: :whistle: :whistle: :whistle: :whistle: :whistle: :whistle:

Eeeeerrrrrrrrrr............ Is this a trick question? :wink: :D

cheeks
22nd-February-2005, 11:05 PM
Eeeeerrrrrrrrrr............ Is this a trick question? :wink: :D

:wink: i've forgotten :rofl:

Little Monkey
22nd-February-2005, 11:07 PM
:wink: i've forgotten :rofl:

:rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl:

cheeks
22nd-February-2005, 11:21 PM
:rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl:

:what:

bradders
24th-February-2005, 04:31 PM
Just wanted to show off and say that I went to the Premiere in London last Wednesday. Had to walk down the 200m red carpet with JLo and RG fans hanging over the rails wondering who the hell we were!!
One for the girls...Richard Gere standing not one meter away from me turned and said hello, I smiled and said 'hi', the girl I was with just squeaked!! (Had it been JLo, roles would have been reversed of course!)
RG made a very funny and interesting speech and they got Harvey Goldstein on stage too. Interestingly the producer of the film was from Blackpool!!
Enjoyed the film even though it was very American and had no car chases, guns, and gratuitous violence in it (joking :wink: )
Went to after show party at Waldorf Hilton where my friend had her phone nicked out of her bag which was in the cloakroom!!!
They put on some great dance displays. I tell you those Latin American Dancers can literally move EVERYTHING!
Had a great night dancing to all kinds of music, lots of latin american ballroom stuff, latin beat, salsa, R&B, funk and finishing off with disco. Great thing was that we could dance Ceroc to all the gendres of music (apart from pure salsa and the Charleston). There were Salsa dancers there who could only really dance to the Salsa music. Just shows how adaptable Ceroc is and how you can use it at any kind of event. Also got loads of really nice comments from people.

Another Shall We Dance thing.
A friend who dances in London knows the girl who played the lead female (JLo) role in the original Japanese version. They were in the same ballet company in Japan. Small world eh!

senorita
24th-February-2005, 05:46 PM
Just wanted to show off and say that I went to the Premiere in London last Wednesday. Had to walk down the 200m red carpet with JLo and RG fans hanging over the rails wondering who the hell we were!!
One for the girls...Richard Gere standing not one meter away from me turned and said hello, I smiled and said 'hi', the girl I was with just squeaked!! (Had it been JLo, roles would have been reversed of course!)
RG made a very funny and interesting speech and they got Harvey Goldstein on stage too. Interestingly the producer of the film was from Blackpool!!
Enjoyed the film even though it was very American and had no car chases, guns, and gratuitous violence in it (joking :wink: )
Went to after show party at Waldorf Hilton where my friend had her phone nicked out of her bag which was in the cloakroom!!!
They put on some great dance displays. I tell you those Latin American Dancers can literally move EVERYTHING!
Had a great night dancing to all kinds of music, lots of latin american ballroom stuff, latin beat, salsa, R&B, funk and finishing off with disco. Great thing was that we could dance Ceroc to all the gendres of music (apart from pure salsa and the Charleston). There were Salsa dancers there who could only really dance to the Salsa music. Just shows how adaptable Ceroc is and how you can use it at any kind of event. Also got loads of really nice comments from people.

A friend who dances in London knows the girl who played the lead female (JLo) role in the original Japanese version. They were in the same ballet company in Japan. Small world eh!

WOW!!!
I'm so so very jeolous. drool or what! what an opportunity you have had you lucky person you. ;-)

I went to see shall we dance movie too...but in a normal down to earth cinema complex...with a load of popcorn being thrown at me. I loved the film.. it made me laugh so much. The row of chairs I sat down on kept rocking backs and fourth...didnt know what the hec was going on, I kept on looking around to see whom it was.....then I spotted the guilty,... it was some lad on my row swinging his legs up and down and around to the music...Humph!!! rofl

Bill
24th-February-2005, 06:19 PM
You saying it WASN'T Bill Foreman in that dance scene ???!!! Funny ... I could have sworn that was me and Bill up there !!! lol...

Wxxx

Well maybe it was ...they just superimposed their faces on !!! Although I haven't seen it yet but will soon !!!!

Being paid to dance ...now there's a real novelty ! :D

ps .....I'm really cheap by the way !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :wink:

Lory
24th-February-2005, 06:29 PM
ps .....I'm really cheap by the way !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :wink:
Aww don't say that! :angry: You'll ruin the illusion :tears: We all thought we were getting something REALLY special each time you danced with us! :devil: :yum: :wink:

skippy
24th-February-2005, 08:30 PM
A friend who dances in London knows the girl who played the lead female (JLo) role in the original Japanese version. They were in the same ballet company in Japan. Small world eh![/QUOTE]

Well I know someone who knows the guy that was dancing JLo doing the waltz during the class. :whistle: And he comes from Scotland!!!
:worthy:

Bigger Andy
25th-February-2005, 02:01 PM
Saw it last night. Excellent !
More dancing shown than most other dance films I have seen. :clap:

I particularly liked the storyline for the Link Peterson character.
He had been dancing for years and years but hadn't mentioned it to his work colleagues.
He even wore a wig as a disguise when he went dancing ! :really:
However, he got found out and then his non-dancing work colleagues took the p1ss out of him ! :sad:
Does this sound familiar ?

As for Paulina - :drool: :drool: :drool:

Wes
25th-February-2005, 06:26 PM
I went to see shall we dance movie too...but in a normal down to earth cinema complex...with a load of popcorn being thrown at me. I loved the film.. it made me laugh so much. The row of chairs I sat down on kept rocking backs and fourth...didnt know what the hec was going on, I kept on looking around to see whom it was.....then I spotted the guilty,... it was some lad on my row swinging his legs up and down and around to the music...Humph!!! rofl
Maybe you need to pay more than 60 pence a seat next time Lory :wink:

Wes
25th-February-2005, 06:30 PM
Whoops, sorry Lory.
I meant Senorita! :blush:

senorita
28th-February-2005, 10:25 AM
Whoops, sorry Lory.
I meant Senorita! :blush:

Hi wes

R...hum £5.90!!!!! ;-))

Diane
28th-February-2005, 07:22 PM
I saw this at the weekend. Loved it :D

At one point I had to quickly remember that I was in the cinema because I was about to applaud :clap:

drathzel
1st-March-2005, 01:37 AM
Did any one else notice that he wore his dance shoes outside :really: ( when he got them at the end of the movie and went to get his wife!!!!)!!!!!!!

Little Monkey
1st-March-2005, 11:03 AM
Did any one else notice that he wore his dance shoes outside :really: ( when he got them at the end of the movie and went to get his wife!!!!)!!!!!!!

I know!!!!! Shocking!!!!! Baaaaaaaaad boy! :mad:

LM

Bigger Andy
1st-March-2005, 02:31 PM
Check out :-

http://www.miramax.com/shallwedance/index.html

for more information.

Twinkle Toes
3rd-March-2005, 08:56 PM
just back from it...came out to a blizzard but was all warm inside :drool:

one question, did anyone tell the movie company that they could have had Bill instead of Richard for probably about 1/2 the price????????????? :wink:

Bill instead of Richard, now that would have been worth going to see. However, Richard did not a bad job ( or was it his copy ?)

Like the "feel good" films and the comfy sofas in the Dominion made it soooo much more enjoyable.

We must have went on the same night chicky, as it was blizzard conditions when we came out too !

TT x

Bigger Andy
4th-March-2005, 01:31 PM
A few 'photos as a reminder (or as a taster) ...