PDA

View Full Version : Why women should stay at home looking after children

Clive Long
20th-February-2005, 02:45 PM
Here's a curve ball.

Why women should stay at home looking after children

It's down to economics.

The price of property is determined by the available cash chasing the available property. Recently the availability of cheap mortgage credit has fueled a surge in house prices, making home ownership unaffordable for first time, local buyers throughout the UK.

To reduce this price bubble one needs to decrease the money chasing property by either increasing interest rates or reducing the available income.

Increasing interest rates would damage business.

Hence, if women stayed at home their contribution to the household income would disappear and the money chasing property would fall.

Ergo house prices would fall to a level that childless, young couples and singles could afford.

Also there would be a social benefit to the country from the improvement in the quality of child care and a reduction in the stress on women having to be everything to everyone.

Flame away.

I suppose an alternative would be to go all Scandinavian and let the women have 'em and the men look after them.

Daisy Chain
20th-February-2005, 02:51 PM
Better still, to not have children at all...

Daisy

(A Paedophobic Little FLower)

cheeks
20th-February-2005, 04:16 PM
Hence, if women stayed at home their contribution to the household income would disappear and the money chasing property would fall.

I suppose an alternative would be to go all Scandinavian and let the women have 'em and the men look after them.

Think I prefer the Scandinavian alternative :clap: :rofl:

drathzel
20th-February-2005, 08:04 PM
at this point i would like to state that i am single, childless and young and i have bought my own house! therefore i am going to disagree with you clive....sorry! :hug:

Gadget
20th-February-2005, 10:24 PM
If my wife could earn more than me, (and I could breast-feed :rolleyes: ) I wold quite happily stay at home and look after the kids: it's not really a woman/man divide - it's one partner from a couple.

Lindsay
20th-February-2005, 11:16 PM
at this point i would like to state that i am single, childless and young and i have bought my own house! therefore i am going to disagree with you clive....sorry! :hug:

me too! there's not many of us left.....

drathzel
20th-February-2005, 11:24 PM
If my wife could earn more than me, (and I could breast-feed :rolleyes: ) I wold quite happily stay at home and look after the kids: it's not really a woman/man divide - it's one partner from a couple.
:yeah:

Lindsay
21st-February-2005, 12:37 AM
If my wife could earn more than me, (and I could breast-feed :rolleyes: )

Men can... you seen meet the fockers?

MartinHarper
21st-February-2005, 01:22 AM
If people spent more money on dance events, then they'd be poorer, so house prices would fall.
Also, they'd be spending less time at home, so they wouldn't care that they lived in a slum.

foxylady
21st-February-2005, 01:57 AM
If people spent more money on dance events, then they'd be poorer, so house prices would fall.
Also, they'd be spending less time at home, so they wouldn't care that they lived in a slum.

I like the way you think !

Yliander
21st-February-2005, 08:24 AM
it's not really a woman/man divide - it's one partner from a couple. :yeah: absolutely!!! personally I think children need a stay at home parent (either mother or father) more than they need the things that a second income can purchase - and yes I know in some cases 2 incomes are needed for the needed things - but in a lot of cases this isn't true.

drathzel
21st-February-2005, 09:57 AM
:yeah: Hey thats what i'm doing! :rofl:

Daisy Chain
21st-February-2005, 01:12 PM

If the women stayed at home to look after their babies, the little Darlings wouldn't be kennelled in nurseries every day picking up every infectious disease going, then passing it onto both parents who generously infect all their work colleagues. I really resent this.

Apparently, herpes is rife in one of our local nurseries. I didn't like to ask exactly which sort :really: and how the babies have been transmitting it...

Daisy

(A Sniffly Little Flower)

Gus
21st-February-2005, 01:24 PM
If my wife could earn more than me {SNIP} I wold quite happily stay at home and look after the kids.Funnily enough ... the one time I was living with someone and the conversation turned to long term things .. it was a given that if we had kids that I'd be the one staying at home. Knowing enough about nannies and the effect on kids, we both thought it was important to have a parent at home ... and despite having a reasonable job my partner was a high flyer in BP and was going to massively out perform my income ... so my role was going to be a home daddy .... and I must admit that the whole thing had its attractions ....aside from nappy changing :tears: .... just a shame we kind of missed out of staying together ....

Northants Girly
21st-February-2005, 02:09 PM

It's down to economics . . . . .

Also there would be a social benefit to the country from the improvement in the quality of child care and a reduction in the stress on women having to be everything to everyone. What a load of rubbish

Better still, to not have children at all...
Well thats up to you . . .

it's not really a woman/man divide - it's one partner from a couple. thats true

Also, they'd be spending less time at home, so they wouldn't care that they lived in a slum.I know you're not being serious Martin

If the women stayed at home to look after their babies, the little Darlings wouldn't be kennelled in nurseries every day picking up every infectious disease going, then passing it onto both parents who generously infect all their work colleagues. I really resent this.Isn't this just abit over the top? When you are 90 years old who do you think is going to look after you and wipe your nose? Answer = the children of these parents you resent so much!

Apparently, herpes is rife in one of our local nurseries. I didn't like to ask exactly which sort and how the babies have been transmitting it... Well, if thats true - how do you think the babies have been transmitting it - do you not think it is more likely to be the staff who are transmitting it from baby to baby??

As for children suffering because they go to nursery instead of being looked after by a parent at home well thats a load of twaddle. There are many studies which have shown this not to be the case.

Remember not all parents have a choice about whether to stay at home or go out to work. There are many single parents out there who have to go out to work in order to pay the mortgage.

End of rant :mad:

Clive Long
21st-February-2005, 02:12 PM
<< snip >>
.... and I must admit that the whole thing had its attractions ....aside from nappy changing :tears:

If kids could stay between about 2 y.o. and 4 y.o. - when the "smelly business" is all sorted but everything in the world is a delight and they haven't got all self-conscious - then I'll join your stay-at-home father's union Gus.

I spent sometime with my twin nephews (want to see a few hundred photos of them?) over the weekend, watched Fireman Sam, played snakes-and-ladders, pointed at the sky etc. etc. The standard of conversation I get with them is far beyond most of what I endure.

<< snip >>
.... just a shame we kind of missed out of staying together ....

There is someone out there for you Gus (take him off our hands someone)

Lory
21st-February-2005, 02:14 PM
I've always been a stay at home mum and I wouldn't have swapped it for the world, I'd have hated someone else telling me what my kids have done during the day and hated handing over my responsibility to someone else. I've enjoyed every moment and I feel proud of the job i've done! :innocent: :o

I do realise I'm very lucky to have had the choice and I also respect other woman who choose not to stay at home.

I've seen friends of mine struggle emotionally when they've had to put their careers on hold, they seem to feel less important somehow and need to be able to prove themselves as independent wage earners to gain the respect of others. :sad:

I personally felt the opposite, I felt my roll as a mum was 'very important' :waycool: I was proud to be involved in all the school activities, I felt privileged to be able to accompany my kids on their numerous school outings and I definitely learnt more this time round than i ever did when I was at school and I know my kids were glad I was there! :clap:

The most precious gift you can give a child, is your time and attention. ;)

Clive Long
21st-February-2005, 02:15 PM

It's down to economics . . . . .

Also there would be a social benefit to the country from the improvement in the quality of child care and a reduction in the stress on women having to be everything to everyone.

What a load of rubbish

And your counter-argument is ......

Northants Girly
21st-February-2005, 02:22 PM
And your counter-argument is ......You are making alot of assumptions here.
Eg. that there would be an improvement in the quality of childcare,
that that would be a social benefit to the country,
that not going out to work and staying at home would decrease stress for women . . .

philsmove
21st-February-2005, 02:31 PM
To try and understand property prices you need to Karl Marks Das Capital

No need to read the whole book you can find a summery in

http://www.amazon.co.uk/exec/obidos/ASIN/0953735702/qid=1108992436/sr=1-1/ref=sr_1_11_1/026-4104088-4445249

PS did you know, taking a global, view women do 75 % all work

Lory
21st-February-2005, 02:36 PM
that not going out to work and staying at home would decrease stress for women . . .
I agree with that, it would only reduce the stress of the woman who wanted to stay at home, as I said before, some woman are happier working, and a happy mother = a happy child!

Yliander
21st-February-2005, 02:36 PM
The most precious gift you can give a child, is your time and attention. ;)SO TRUE!!!

having worked in childcare - holiday programs and before and after school care - there is nothing more heart breaking than seeing a kid still at school when unwell because their parents can't come pick them up - these are kids that have new nikes every 3 months and are only dressed in label clothing($40 for a t-shirt for a 5 year old!!) - so not situation where 2 inomes are needed!

Yliander
21st-February-2005, 02:57 PM
I agree with that, it would only reduce the stress of the woman who wanted to stay at home, as I said before, some woman are happier working, and a happy mother = a happy child! It's all about choice!

Clive Long
21st-February-2005, 03:15 PM
<< snip >>
PS did you know, taking a global, view women do 75 % all work

I don't doubt that - and I'm not being flippant nor sarcastic.

However, my argument is based on reducing PAID employment - although I did not use that phrase explicitly in my posting.

I suggested (asserted) that women in paid employment have too many demands and expectations placed upon them.

I'm in the one-parent-at-home-is-preferable (or at least share the domestics - but with my job it would be completely impossible to help except at weekends) camp. I recognise that there are many (usually woman-led) single-parent families. Some are due to separation due to death, sometimes due to the complete uselessness of, and abandonment by the sperm-provider (I won't use the word father in their case). The single parent (those that I have known) often does a superb job bringing up kids, in a less-than-ideal situation.

But this isn't a thread about single-parent families, it's about the economic impact of reducing the cash chasing available accomodation in Britain.

Northants Girly
21st-February-2005, 03:23 PM
this isn't a thread about single-parent families, it's about the economic impact of reducing the cash chasing available accomodation in Britain. Oh :what:

Maybe, with hindsight, a better choice of title could have been made then :)

philsmove
21st-February-2005, 04:23 PM
But this isn't a thread about single-parent families, it's about the economic impact of reducing the cash chasing available accomodation in Britain.

I’m not an economist but I don’t think Cash comes into the argument
It about peoples ability to borrow

When bought my first house it was over 100 years old and therefore, very difficult to get a mortgage, because of this it was fairly cheap - £13,000

Today you could get 90% mortgage and it on the market at over £200,000

Tiggerbabe
21st-February-2005, 04:38 PM
It about peoples ability to borrow
Which is usually dependant upon how much they earn.........however, there are a fair number of newly built houses here in Monifieth. The cheapest of which are on the market for around about £140 to £150 thousand.
Most of these houses seem to be being snapped up by younger couples with very young families/babies, where the wife does indeed stay at home and not go out to work.

Heather
21st-February-2005, 10:56 PM
What a load of rubbish

Remember not all parents have a choice about whether to stay at home or go out to work. There are many single parents out there who have to go out to work in order to pay the mortgage.

End of rant :mad:

Totally agree with this . I'd love to stay at home but as I'm a single mum I HAVE to go out to work. And now that the government want to raise the retirement age, I reckon I'll have to work longer than I bargained for! :angry:

:hug: :kiss:
Heather,
XX

Heather
21st-February-2005, 11:00 PM
The most precious gift you can give a child, is your time and attention. ;)

Agree with this too, Lory,so I just have to make up for it when I get home from work. Luckily, I am a teacher so I do get the same long holidays as my daughter.

:hug:
Heather,
XX