PDA

View Full Version : Compatibility?

drathzel
17th-February-2005, 01:13 AM
Hey people!

I was just thinking.... (yes i know, shock....)

do you think that no matter how good a dancer you are, there will always be people you wont be able to dance with? Call it compatiablity!

Also do you think even the bestest dancers in the world get intimidated dancing with some people!

these questions are sor of entwined and i know i am not making much sense but just give your honest answers!

I have not been dancing long enough to really know this and its something i would like even some sort of answer to!

Thank you :D

CJ
17th-February-2005, 01:30 AM
yes...

drathzel
17th-February-2005, 01:32 AM
yes...

so much detail, my head is swimming! :yum:

Andreas
17th-February-2005, 01:56 AM
If both try to 'dance with each other' then the answer should be NO. However, this is never going to happen so the answer is YES :D

There will always be somebody who tries to outshine the other person at the expense of harmony, hence the dance will be cr*p ;)

I would not put it down to style because everybody CAN adapt at least a little, which would be sufficient. It really is more a thing of both trying to adapt or only one ... or none.

MartinHarper
17th-February-2005, 02:07 AM
Do you think that no matter how good a dancer you are, there will always be people you wont be able to dance with? Call it compatiablity!

Depends whether you want to become a good social dancer, or a good competition dancer. A good social MJ dancer should be able to dance with any competent MJ dancer, though of course some will be better than others.

Gadget
17th-February-2005, 02:11 AM
do you think that no matter how good a dancer you are, there will always be people you wont be able to dance with? Call it compatiablity!
I've only experienced it with one partner, but yes: when you are hearing a completley different song and can't tune in to what they are hearing.

Also do you think even the bestest dancers in the world get intimidated dancing with some people!
"intimidated"... if they are seven foot tall and five foot wide, knuckles skabbed from draging on the ground, and have black, beady eyes pearing out from under a monobrow; then yes, I would say so.
If you mean intimidated by the other person's ability, perhaps, but not to any degree that would prevent dancing with them.
If you mean intimidated by having to live up to their own reputation, I would say there's a greter probability.

Of course you would need to ask one of the "best dancers" to get a an answer based on more than supposition. :cool:

johnthehappyguy
17th-February-2005, 02:14 AM

D

I had planned to give exactly the same answer as CJ, however I thought I should expand a bit, FWIW :-

yes......

I have danced with 2 ladies, neither of whom are forumites that i am aware of.

It was not enjoyable for me as we seemed to be dancing, but not together.

Our styles also seemed to be different. So i think it unlikely, that even if i became very good as you posed; that i would enjoy dancing with either of them. Is that the same as not being able to dance with them, as your question posed. ? - Perhaps.

On a similar vein, there is a particular dancer that I have had a lot of difficulty dancing with, again, not a forumite. I have seen a leader, who is universally thought to be a terrific dancer, dancing with the same person.

This particular ladies style, made the terrific leader look like he was throwing her off balance, and it made it look like even he was a poor dancer.

To put things in perspective, and to be a bit more positive - I am not the best dancer in the world :whistle: :whistle: , and literally a handful i.e. less than 5 dancers I do not enjoy dancing with.

Every other lady I have danced with has been a great dance, (well a great dance for me at least.)

Drathzel:-

You are delightful to dance with ! :flower:

johnthehappyguy :nice:

bigdjiver
17th-February-2005, 12:27 PM
I first came across this at the Le Jive Championships. I danced with an attractive lady, and I described the experience as "dancing with a brick". At the end she recommended a good place where I could get lessons. I enjoyed every other dance I had that day, and my partners appeared to be enjoying them too.
When the video finally arrrived this particular lady was frequently in view, always looking good with her partners. Unfortunately (?) I am practically invisible on the video, so I cannot contrast and compare, and I still have no idea what was going wrong.

Trish
17th-February-2005, 02:12 PM
I first came across this at the Le Jive Championships. I danced with an attractive lady, and I described the experience as "dancing with a brick". At the end she recommended a good place where I could get lessons. I enjoyed every other dance I had that day, and my partners appeared to be enjoying them too.
When the video finally arrrived this particular lady was frequently in view, always looking good with her partners. Unfortunately (?) I am practically invisible on the video, so I cannot contrast and compare, and I still have no idea what was going wrong.

Yes, I know what you mean here BigD. There's a guy I know (not a forumite) who a lot of girls really like dancing with, and who can look really good, but every time I dance with him I feel pulled about all over the place and really don't enjoy the experience at all. I don't think it's me, I've had enough compliments to feel fairly sure I'm ok to dance with, but I think as various people have said, sometime you just get someone who's style is incompatible. This guy has quite a kicky/bouncy sort of style, where I like to think of my style as smooth (well that's what I'm aiming for anyway!), so perhaps the two just don't go together.

Don't worry BigD, it's not you, you're good to dance with!! With you being so tall though, could it be a height thing?! I think that can make a difference sometimes.

drathzel
17th-February-2005, 11:20 PM
Drathzel:-

You are delightful to dance with ! :flower:

johnthehappyguy :nice:

aw thanks :blush:

i find now that i can dance with people i couldnt before. I am letting them lead me and i just follow what they want to do! :hug:

Rhythm King
18th-February-2005, 01:39 PM
Yes to both your points. Not that I'm a top league dancer or anything but, I find I can be intimidated by good dancers and either don't ask them (I then found out one of them even thought it was because I was a hotshot and didn't think she was good enough :rofl: ) or I go to pieces on the floor and succomb to "rabbit in headlights" syndrome :what: . I am definitely getting better than I was at overcoming this, partly due to comments made on the forum and also through seeking feedback on how I dance. I still sometimes get intimidated by seeing other really good couples, particularly at WCS and Lindy, but again, so long as I concentrate on my own dancing and my partner, it seems to be getting better.

As to compatability there are some people I just don't seem to click with on the dance floor. There is one person I regularly see at Hipsters/Rock Bottoms/Beach Boogie. She looks great dancing on the floor but every time I've asked her to dance it has ended in disaster. Eventually, one night we ground to a halt during a song at the Casbah and decided between us to stop and walk off. I haven't asked her to dance since, nor she me. We always say hello and make small talk and then if a good tchoon comes on, we both dive in opposite directions for partners!

Of course I also have some "off" nights, when everything goes wrong :tears: and some nights when it all just seems to click :clap: . But then doesn't everybody? :whistle:

R-K :hug:

Gadget
18th-February-2005, 02:00 PM
You know what's worse - when you actually do dance with these people, then have the worst dance of the evening :tears: You just want to say "no - don't go: that's not how I dance normally.. pleeeeease?" :worthy: