PDA

View Full Version : Growth of China

Clive Long
14th-February-2005, 03:37 PM
"Do you perceive the growth of China as an economic power to be positive or negative in world political, economic and environmental terms?"

Discuss

Justify your assertions.

CJ
14th-February-2005, 05:56 PM
Is all part of the new world order.

Not long before we are all speaking dumb, sorry American English and spending dollars... This all helps.

ChrisA
14th-February-2005, 06:15 PM
With a population something like 5 times that of the US, and an ever-increasing hunger for all things technological, I suspect that the rate at which fossil fuels are converted into carbon dioxide will prove to be more significant than a flood of cheap products.

Ste
14th-February-2005, 08:11 PM
Interesting one Clive. I need to think over that one.

Dance Demon
15th-February-2005, 12:27 PM
Maybe when they become the worlds biggest super power, they will invade America in a peace keeping bid to rid it of it's dictator........... :devil:

Dreadful Scathe
15th-February-2005, 01:36 PM
Wouldnt a dictator need some intelligence ? Bush comes across as more of a puppet controlled by rich powerful people (of any nationality) and corporations :)

stewart38
15th-February-2005, 03:31 PM
"Do you perceive the growth of China as an economic power to be positive or negative in world political, economic and environmental terms?"

Discuss

Justify your assertions.

I think India over takes China cira 2050 population wise at present growth rates ?? I might be wrong

If China built more Macdonalds and lots of B&B and spoke English would be nice to tour out there with Ski resorts etc

El Salsero Gringo
15th-February-2005, 04:00 PM
Just think of the number of Ceroc franchises you could open there. Could be the next big opportunity for Ceroc Metro, eh, Adam?

Ste
16th-February-2005, 01:49 PM
It is incredibly difficult to open a business in China and make money from it.

Lots and lots of investors both small and multi national have lost huge sums of money in China.They lost money because they got ripped off ( there was a lot of bribery) and because of legitimate business reasons...ie purely economic. They were inspired by thinking it was the next gold rush and CHina has profitted from their naivity. If you try to sell to Chnese you may be making a huge mistake.

(For instance if you decided to open a shop there waht kind of money could you possibly make when people earn about one tenth of what they earn here. That is why professional CHinese people escape to the UK, work in a chippy and send money back to their families. THen they but the chippy or restaurant and make some serious money here. THey do not go back to China except to set up a factory or buy land. How can you take money out of the country ?)

At the present time I understand that businesses who want to sell from CHina to the Chinese treat their outlets as a loss leader. Ie spend the money now and make it back in 10 years time when CHina is advanced and the currency has been revalued. The Chinese refuse to revalue their currency because they sell their products cheap. They want you to be able to buy 10 renminbi for a pound not 5. When the currency is revalued, then might be the time to sell to the CHinese.

How can you sell say a sausage which here might cost £1 to a CHinese when to him it would be the equivalent of £10! Doesn't make sense.

However there are exceptions. The CHinese consume steel like crazy. My friend and I were looking into selling a steel mill that he had found ( he does insolvency work ) to the Chinese and he managed to find Chinese steel men who reside in the UK. The fact that they live here shows you the value that the CHinese place in steel I think their response was that the mill was far too small. So if you have a BIG steel mill that you want to sell, tell me and I will tell my mate as he has contacts.

Where people do make money is in importing cheaper products from CHina. But that means keeping your business here and keeping the CHina side at arms length.

Or getting them to make products to your specifications like toys or cars ( like BMW) which you then sell to the West, taking advantage of the currency valuations.

You will be able to sell to the CHinese, and make money from those sales, but that time is not yet.

Singapore might be a better option. But again this is not a dead cert. I have done modern jive in Singapore. There were about 25 people in the class. It was run by a very good ex London Cerocer, who was an IT guy, and he was quite a good teacher. At least 5 of the people in that class ( inc the teacher) actually learnt their Ceroc in the UK ( like London!). So it was quite an ex pat thing as opposed to taking something to the Singaporean market and taking them by storm. There are only 3 million people there. Would it not make more sense to buy a Ceroc franchiese if you were in the South of England or join Blitz or Gus if you were in the North?

I think I heard this in the grapevine and I do not know if it is true, the mod jive teacher became a salsa king and may have stopped teaching jive. As I say I don't know.

Will
16th-February-2005, 03:02 PM
Within reason, anything that makes Sweat & Sour Chicken more available at a more and more competitive price will garner my favour.

Ste
16th-February-2005, 08:31 PM
Ay ay ay .........LENG ZAI!!!! Cheng bay gnor GOO LOH GAI FAN.

Ste
16th-February-2005, 08:32 PM
For the Ang Mor ( what)...the red red one lah!

Gus
19th-February-2005, 11:53 AM
Would it not make more sense to buy a Ceroc franchiese if you were in the South of England or join Blitz or Gus if you were in the North? Urrrrr ... and make money how? I'm still waaaaayyy in defecit ... will take 1 to 2 years to make a profit out of this game. :sick: